• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Monolith Soft Development and Speculation |ST|

hmm I wasn't even aware of that, thats pretty cool! Maybe this new project will have much more "Nintendo DNA" than Monolith's previous games
Yeah Nintendo EPD looks over all of Nintendo games made outside of Nintendo. So they have had their own director work with Monolith’s directors on all the Xenoblade games.

They only changed they name due to copyright reasons they have no reason to change the branding which only shoot themselves in the foot as they try to grow the series.

and quite a few people seem to be of the opinion that Xenosaga references in Future Redeemed mean that a rerelease of those is coming and presumably they would want to be at least partially involved in that if they really were planning on tying some elements of that into future games

personally i've always been of the opinion that those references were more of an easter egg mixed with a thematic teaser than anything more direct though
It was a bit more than a reference. There's enough Xenosaga in Future Redeemed that Bandai Namco is explicitly credited.
this seems pretty solid

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Xenosaga is not owned by Nintendo" isn't really a reason for them to not be involved. Any sort of re-release for Xenosaga at this point would definitely have some level of involvement of Monolith and quite possibly Nintendo more generally.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Xenosaga is not owned by Nintendo" isn't really a reason for them to not be involved. Any sort of re-release for Xenosaga at this point would definitely have some level of involvement of Monolith and quite possibly Nintendo more generally.
how much involvement would depend on if Bamco wants the game to be multiplatform or not

Has anyone ever dissected the code from any of the Xenoblade games to figure out its codename?
@BlackthornOrion posted the Xenoblade codenames in the other topic.

This was posted

For reference, known Xenoblade codenames (source: https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor:Project_Names#Various_2)

XC - Kyojin (translates to giant)
XC3D - Smallfolk
XCX - SpaceTravel/SpaceT
XC2 - Bigfolk2/BF2
Torna - Ira (Japanese name for Torna)
XCDE - BFSW (Bigfolk Switch)
XC3 - Bigfolk3/BF3

imo Legacy doesn't really feel like it fits any of those

Watch it be a Xenoblade Warriors game Monolith has a hand in and its being called "legacy" because it'll include the entire legacy of characters from the series thus far.

I will stop coping now

"working with nintendo" is interesting wording me thinks

Could it mean this is potentially an outright collaboration between epd and monolith working on a shiny brand new ip? or the standard monolith makes the game and nintendo publishes?
"MonolithSoft makes the game and Nintendo publishes" isn't really the standard when you consider Monolith works on Zelda, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing as well. They aren't quite as cut-and-dried independent as it sometimes seems.

So what I don't get is how is it news that MonolithSoft is making a new game with Nintendo when.. that's literally what they do? And how does Midori know enough to confidently say it isn't Xenosaga? She knows for a fact Bamco isn't involved? Or she knows Nintendo is publishing and therefore assumes Bamco isn't involved? Who's to say Nintendo wouldn't publish a game that their studio is involved in and that's related to a high-profile series that Nintendo owns?

And if all this really has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that MonolithSoft is making a new Nintendo game then.. that's like saying Nintendo is making a new Mario. It's almost a non-statement. Of course they're making a new game with Nintendo, they're a studio that makes Nintendo games.

Sorry yall, I just don't get this new age of Midori.

"MonolithSoft makes the game and Nintendo publishes" isn't really the standard when you consider Monolith works on Zelda, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing as well. They aren't quite as cut-and-dried independent as it sometimes seems.

So what I don't get is how is it news that MonolithSoft is making a new game with Nintendo when.. that's literally what they do? And how does Midori know enough to confidently say it isn't Xenosaga? She knows for a fact Bamco isn't involved? Or she knows Nintendo is publishing and therefore assumes Bamco isn't involved? Who's to say Nintendo wouldn't publish a game that their studio is involved in and that's related to a high-profile series that Nintendo owns?

And if all this really has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that MonolithSoft is making a new Nintendo game then.. that's like saying Nintendo is making a new Mario. It's almost a non-statement. Of course they're making a new game with Nintendo, they're a studio that makes Nintendo games.

From what I’ve seen so far (I’m not paying attention to everything), but it seems like with Nintendo all Midori has said is codenames of games Nintendo is working on. Very obvious stuff like 3D Mario and Mario Party. Obviously, Monolith is making a game for Nintendo too lol.

From what I’ve seen so far (I’m not paying attention to everything), but it seems like with Nintendo all Midori has said is codenames of games Nintendo is working on. Very obvious stuff like 3D Mario and Mario Party. Obviously, Monolith is making a game for Nintendo too lol.
Yeah that's how it comes across to me too. I know she has a killer track record for Sega so I honestly am rooting for her but the stuff she's "leaked" since coming back from her pause seems to roughly amount to "Nintendo is making games" and as a child of the 80s I'm trying so so so hard to not say "duh"

Probably me getting my hopes sky high but I think they're finally hard at work on the medieval action adventure game. Hopefully it can come in 2025(wouldn't be far fetched either seeing how quickly they made Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and that's a massive game).

Ya’ll…

Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth

Just sayin’…

(Yes, I’m aware that the BLADE acronym is different in Japanese, and, yes, I know that XCX’s original codename is SpaceTravel, not Legacy.)

We can be reasonably sure Monolithsoft isn't working on Xenosaga at least, but that's more common sense than anything. Baten Kaitos wasn't handled by Monolithsoft, so while I don't buy that Midori has the inside skinny with Nintendo in general, this is as close to a free guess as there is.

I still think the next Monolithsoft-driven project is something X related.

Ya’ll…

Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth

Just sayin’…

(Yes, I’m aware that the BLADE acronym is different in Japanese, and, yes, I know that XCX’s original codename is SpaceTravel, not Legacy.)
Beyond the Logos Destiny Emancipator was a stupid name anyway, no matter how relevant it might actually turn out to be.

Probably me getting my hopes sky high but I think they're finally hard at work on the medieval action adventure game. Hopefully it can come in 2025(wouldn't be far fetched either seeing how quickly they made Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and that's a massive game).
I want this to be true

I hope it's the fabled medieval action game too, or just anything new and not related to xeno. I pray somewhere logical beat and bamco are doing saga remasters though. Never got to play them.

I just don't need to see xenoblade for a while, I feel like it'd be nice to let them cook the new saga up, maybe a xenoblade warriors while we wait idk.

I hope it's a medieval action game, or just anything new and not related to xeno. I pray somewhere logical beat and bamco are doing saga remasters though. Never got to play them.
Imagine if Takahashi's team is polishing up Xenoblade X for Switch as a breather after XB3, while Honne has a team working on the medieval action game and Bamco is handling Saga remasters themselves, and all of those hit within the same year. 🙏

Imagine if Takahashi's team is polishing up Xenoblade X for Switch as a breather after XB3, while Honne has a team working on the medieval action game and Bamco is handling Saga remasters themselves, and all of those hit within the same year. 🙏
According to the first-party thread, Honne is semi-retire right now being in the top position doing concept art from time to time.

Definitely Japanese style medieval Europe though, I'll admit I like it.(The Japanese style of medieval Europe would be mixed with a large number of clothing-armor styles that appeared only after the Renaissance and even the 16th century.)

We can be reasonably sure Monolithsoft isn't working on Xenosaga at least, but that's more common sense than anything. Baten Kaitos wasn't handled by Monolithsoft, so while I don't buy that Midori has the inside skinny with Nintendo in general, this is as close to a free guess as there is.

I still think the next Monolithsoft-driven project is something X related.

Beyond the Logos Destiny Emancipator was a stupid name anyway, no matter how relevant it might actually turn out to be.
Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator was an amazing name and they're cowards for changing it.

Last edited:
Sorry my wording wasn't the best, I'm well aware they assist them on those franchises. I was thinking about their own big projects specifically like xenoblade.

Using a work distribution guess as an example, If its normally 10/90 with monolith working on epd products and 95/5 of them working on xenoblade with nintendo epd's assistance, maybe this game could have around a 70/30 or 60/40 monolith/epd ratio. Monolith musicians, artists, composers, programmers, etc, working with epd people in those respective fields down to the initial concept level, total collaboration to make a next gen game.

I guess botw is the best example of what I'm thinking but instead on an all new IP and monolith working on every aspect of the game instead of mostly level design

I'm probably reading too much into it especially since I don't think Midori is even a native English speaker, but hey, this is a speculation thread and we're all bored so why not make a pizza out of a bread crumb :p

Last edited:
Sorry my wording wasn't the best, I'm well aware they assist them on those franchises. I was thinking about their own big projects specifically like xenoblade.

Using a work distribution guess as an example, If its normally 10/90 with monolith working on epd products and 95/5 of them working on xenoblade with nintendo epd's assistance, maybe this game could have around a 70/30 or 60/40 monolith/epd ratio. Monolith musicians, artists, composers, programmers, etc, working with epd people in those respective fields down to the initial concept level, total collaboration to make a next gen game.

I guess botw is the best example of what I'm thinking but instead on an all new IP and monolith working on every aspect of the game instead of mostly level design

I'm probably reading too much into it especially since I don't think Midori is even a native English speaker, but hey, this is a speculation thread and we're all bored so why not make a pizza out of a bread crumb :p
Monolith doesn't have internal composers/musicians, they're all contractors (aside Yutaka Kunigo which is tecnically a Sound Designer, but composed two pieces for Xenoblade 3)

Saying that Xenosaga is of little value to Nintendo and a waste of Monolith Soft's time sounds totally arbitrary. Especially when you consider both companies' relationship to Bamco. I also strongly believe that the Saga references in Future Redeemed are more than just easter eggs, I am very convinced that a Saga rerelease of some sort is on the way.

Saying that Xenosaga is of little value to Nintendo and a waste of Monolith Soft's time sounds totally arbitrary. Especially when you consider both companies' relationship to Bamco. I also strongly believe that the Saga references in Future Redeemed are more than just easter eggs, I am very convinced that a Saga rerelease of some sort is on the way.
I can totally see Xenosaga remake happening sometime down the pipeline, mostly because Nintendo and Bandai has a pretty good relationship, but Xenogears is something that I can see not happening, mostly because of square enix.

In the past in the Hardware thread, we've questioned insiders who have a track record for one thing, but when they suddenly have information for something entirely different from the norm, we pause and say, "They give us the inside scoop on X and Y, so why they would know anything about Z makes me question their credibility."

I, too, don't buy most of what Midori is saying here, and think she's just throwing shit at a wall, and hoping at least something Nintendo related sticks.

As for what Monolith are doing, I just made a post on the Hardware thread that maybe based on those concept art drawings from a while ago, maybe it's that Zelda game with Zelda as the playable protagonist? That it takes place right after the Fallen Hero timeline begins, and it's during the Imprisoning War. Would be an awesome spectacle for the power of the Switch 2.

I can totally see Xenosaga remake happening sometime down the pipeline, mostly because Nintendo and Bandai has a pretty good relationship, but Xenogears is something that I can see not happening, mostly because of square enix.
I can see SE making a Xenogears remake on their own, tbh.

A collaboration on the level of BotW but being a new IP would be rad, I'd like that

I agree with this whole statement but I don't like how much I agree with the last part

As for what Monolith are doing, I just made a post on the Hardware thread that maybe based on those concept art drawings from a while ago, maybe it's that Zelda game with Zelda as the playable protagonist? That it takes place right after the Fallen Hero timeline begins, and it's during the Imprisoning War. Would be an awesome spectacle for the power of the Switch 2.
It'd be like Nintendo was personally apologizing to me for the Imprisoning War / Fallen Timeline fakeout in TotK and I'd be so happy

Couldn't Legacy be a Xenogears remake? Xenogears is the biggest legacy game from the founders of Monolith Soft. The game that started the entire Xeno series. Shouldn't be hard for Nintendo to get a desperate Square Enix to let Monolith Soft make a remake exclusive to Switch 2.

Couldn't Legacy be a Xenogears remake? Xenogears is the biggest legacy game from the founders of Monolith Soft. The game that started the entire Xeno series. Shouldn't be hard for Nintendo to get a desperate Square Enix to let Monolith Soft make a remake exclusive to Switch 2.
Extremely unlikely. Monolithsoft doesn't work on games with Xenogears' graphical style anymore so it'd be better to farm it out elsewhere. Next there's the ownership issue. Square-Enix was running away from Nintendo exclusive projects even before they killed most of their low- and mid-range projects two months ago (if there was a Xenogears project planned, that probably killed it anyway), and Nintendo wouldn't let Monolithsoft work on a project that would go multi-platform for resource distribution reasons. Furthermore, Xenogears as a franchise has no future. If you want new games like it, your only option is Xenoblade, and Square-Enix isn't in the business of doing free marketing for Nintendo. This is a big part of why Xenosaga isn't getting remade, too.

Xenogears is also in a really bad place where a straight port would sell badly, a rework would take as many resources as a full remake, and a full remake would take away from projects that would sell better with fewer rights issues.

Last edited:
Extremely unlikely. Monolithsoft doesn't work on games with Xenosaga's graphical style anymore so it'd be better to farm it out elsewhere. Next there's the ownership issue. Square-Enix was running away from Nintendo exclusive projects even before they killed most of their low- and mid-range projects two months ago (if there was a Xenogears project planned, that probably killed it anyway), and Nintendo wouldn't let Monolithsoft work on a project that would go multi-platform for resource distribution reasons. Furthermore, Xenogears as a franchise has no future. If you want new games like it, your only option is Xenoblade, and Square-Enix isn't in the business of doing free marketing for Nintendo. This is a big part of why Xenosaga isn't getting remade, too.

Xenogears is also in a really bad place where a straight port would sell badly, a rework would take as many resources as a full remake, and a full remake would take away from projects that would sell better with fewer rights issues.
That Yeah! was given begrudgingly. I agree with everything you said but I don't like it. 😅

I want a Monolith-assisted Xenogears rework so badly. Let Takahashi and Saga finish Disc 2!!!

Extremely unlikely. Monolithsoft doesn't work on games with Xenosaga's graphical style anymore so it'd be better to farm it out elsewhere. Next there's the ownership issue. Square-Enix was running away from Nintendo exclusive projects even before they killed most of their low- and mid-range projects two months ago (if there was a Xenogears project planned, that probably killed it anyway), and Nintendo wouldn't let Monolithsoft work on a project that would go multi-platform for resource distribution reasons. Furthermore, Xenogears as a franchise has no future. If you want new games like it, your only option is Xenoblade, and Square-Enix isn't in the business of doing free marketing for Nintendo. This is a big part of why Xenosaga isn't getting remade, too.

If a Live A Live remake can sell well, I don't see why a Xenogears remake can't. I also don't understand the "taking away resources" argument. I don't think SE would need to work with Nintendo to remake this game, anyway.

I also don't understand the "taking away resources" argument.
Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo. Any game developed by Monolith Soft is going to be exclusive to Nintendo hardware, which limits the audience for a Xenogears remake more than e.g. Live A Live, and Monolith Soft would need to justify why they'd want to take on a project that gives Square Enix a cut instead of a project that does not do that.
I don't think SE would need to work with Nintendo to remake this game, anyway.
They wouldn't, but then it wouldn't be developed by Monolith Soft, meaning it would not be the project rumored to be codenamed Legacy.

That Yeah! was given begrudgingly. I agree with everything you said but I don't like it. 😅

I want a Monolith-assisted Xenogears rework so badly. Let Takahashi and Saga finish Disc 2!!!
Haha. I know I fall on the "extreme pessimist" side of these discussions but I've seen a lot of people work themselves up over companies "not making obvious decisions" when there are (sometimes very good) reasons for it not to happen.

If a Live A Live remake can sell well, I don't see why a Xenogears remake can't. I also don't understand the "taking away resources" argument. I don't think SE would need to work with Nintendo to remake this game, anyway.
The specific scenario was "Square-Enix hires Monolithsoft to remake Xenogears". This is extremely unlikely.

Xenogears in general is a much bigger ask than Live-A-Live, since it's incomplete in a way that doesn't fly these days. The "rushed Early Access game" Steam reviews write themselves. Finishing the game requires either Tetsuya Takahashi, who as a full-time Nintendo employee is a resource that could be working on products that benefit his employer, or a dedicated team either internal to Square-Enix or contracted to them to write and design story, cutscenes, areas and that live up to the original game. That's a lot of work for a late-90s JRPG remake, especially when Square-Enix is in the middle of a sales collapse for their main late-90s JRPG remake.

Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo. Any game developed by Monolith Soft is going to be exclusive to Nintendo hardware, which limits the audience for a Xenogears remake more than e.g. Live A Live, and Monolith Soft would need to justify why they'd want to take on a project that gives Square Enix a cut instead of a project that does not do that.

They wouldn't, but then it wouldn't be developed by Monolith Soft, meaning it would not be the project rumored to be codenamed Legacy.
I'm talking about a Xenogears remake in general, I don't think that's what Legacy is; that makes zero sense. I should have been clearer on that.

I'm talking about a Xenogears remake in general, I don't think that's what Legacy is; that makes zero sense. I should have been clearer on that.
right now, SE is in a weird spot. we need to see what they fully mean by AA projects being dumped for the most part. IMO, at best, we'll just see an AI upscaled remaster of the PS1 game, warts and all. Xenogears still gets merch so why not give fans a chance to play the game for the first time

right now, SE is in a weird spot. we need to see what they fully mean by AA projects being dumped for the most part. IMO, at best, we'll just see an AI upscaled remaster of the PS1 game, warts and all. Xenogears still gets merch so why not give fans a chance to play the game for the first time
Yeah, that concerns me a little. HD-2D games have proven successful, but it always seemed that SE had......... peculiar expectations for their other projects.

Regarding Legacy, part of me thinks that it's a new IP and the supposed codename is somewhat irrelevant to the final project, but if it isn't, I don't know what it could entail outside of Xenoblade. It might not be 4 (assuming the codename would be BigFolk4), so it might be a spinoff with characters from across the series?

Regarding Legacy, part of me thinks that it's a new IP and the supposed codename is somewhat irrelevant to the final project, but if it isn't, I don't know what it could entail outside of Xenoblade. It might not be 4 (assuming the codename would be BigFolk4), so it might be a spinoff with characters from across the series?
So, an in-house Xenoblade Warriors? That'd check off the prophecied action game and potentially the medieval game depending on the aesthetics, too. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Just to be clear I have no idea what this is but I also don't trust leakers as a rule.

Honne was guiding a new generation at Monolith through upcoming retirements. Legacy. A new IP with that new generation that will be the legacy of the current Monolith

I think people really went overboard in their concern for what kind cuts SE is/was planning to make. They've been pretty clear that they will still be releasing mid budget games as well. Even in the recent briefing slides it was reiterated:

W91sbIC.png

I think people really went overboard in their concern for what kind cuts SE is/was planning to make. They've been pretty clear that they will still be releasing mid budget games as well. Even in the recent briefing slides it was reiterated:

W91sbIC.png
Translated from corporatespeak that means "spinoffs". Dragon Quest Monsters or Crisis Core. Stuff that doesn't cost a lot of money but that has a good return on investment. Basically the opposite of a Xenogears remake. >.>

Anything more in-depth is a discussion for the Squeenix thread, I feel.

I just want a Xenoblade fighting game, man. I don't care if it's in house or not, I just want it to be real and be goated.

Any idea what the codename for XCX was? Yes, externally it was simply known as "X," but internal at Monolith, is that known?

Doesn't completely rule out the possibility of "legacy" being tied with Xenoblade, especially if you tie the concept that XCX has left its own legacy for a sequel to exist. But admittedly, it would possibly be a stretch.

If "Legacy" is in fact tied to Monolith Soft, it's either a brand new game/IP, that Zelda title I mentioned earlier with you playing as Zelda (Zelda leaving behind her legacy as the Princess of Hyrule), or possibly a sequel/remastering of XCX.

All are possibilities really.

Back
Top Bottom