• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Praise The Process

Metroid Prime 4 in the June 2024 Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Had a very long day yesterday and in the post-work delirium I imagined a version of Prime 2 where the regions change as you restore the light. Aether becomes more lush, less dilapidated and some enemies become docile. While Dark Aether becomes even more twisted, previously blocked paths open while others close, the atmosphere does less damage but the crystals have been destroyed by the Ing, who appear more frail but frantic.

Never gonna happen, short of a full remake in 20+ years, but I thought it was a neat idea nonetheless.

This is the type of reputation we gotta do our part to live up to. Let's stay positive, stay loving Metroid, and keep #TTP!

pretty sure I complained about this game the entire time during its original run in the Dread ST

it's ok tho NOW we can all agree it's one of the best Metroid games of all time #TTP

pretty sure I complained about this game the entire time during its original run in the Dread ST
I complained about the music (still do from time to time! No regrets! I'm valid!), but that was the one major thing. The rest of the game was pretty much all peak. PEAK!!!!! Raven Peak. Peaktroid.
it's ok tho NOW we can all agree it's one of the best Metroid games of all time #TTP
I'm glad you've grown as a person, AngryAlchemist 🙂 It's never too late to improve upon our opinions... unless we're dead. Some of my bad takes are sure to improve before my time comes, but I will also carry a vast array of them with me to the grave.

Hey, that's okay! If you ever feel like taking another swing at it, it'll always be there, right? Out of curiosity, where'd you leave off, and was it the E.M.M.I. that did it?
Haha thanks!!

Experiment No. Z-27. I just couldn't get the timing right, and just got frustrated so I stopped.

That hasn't stopped me from dropping Elden Ring and Bloodborne at the final boss. If a game is frustrating me to end where I can't think clearly, I drop it. I don't need that kind of stress in my life.
This was me with A Link Between Worlds when I tried it earlier this year. It's a fairly easy game for 99% of the time, but I kept dying against the final boss, so I quit. These days I just don't have the patience to do the same thing over and over again.

I had multiple retries with a few bosses in Metroid Dread, but I powered through it because 1. I love Metroid, and 2. I was in college and had a light schedule due to being nearly done, so I had lots of time for gaming.

That hasn't stopped me from dropping Elden Ring and Bloodborne at the final boss. If a game is frustrating me to a point where I can't think clearly, I drop it. I don't need that kind of stress in my life.
I did the same thing on Rodea the Sky Soldier. Absolutely loved the game from start to final boss, then spent days not being able to beat the final boss and finally bailed. Figured I'd basically seen all of the game at that point so it's not like I was missing anything. 😅

This is the type of reputation we gotta do our part to live up to. Let's stay positive, stay loving Metroid, and keep #TTP!

i think we got enough of the toxic "OMG I can't believe it expects me to shoot random hidden blocks despite clearly signposting it - what a shit game" commentary from the world at large - gotta stick together, perfection is unattainable

I know they acknowledge that the mid-2010s was a thing in the replies, and brush it aside to say that they're talking about 2017 onwards, but I will never forget the horrors that my fellow fans committed out of fear and desperation in... The Dark Times™. (dramatic thunder)

Me, who remembers the 2010 - 2017 era of the Metroid fandom:

pearl_2022_mia_goth_smiling_crying_credits_TITLE.png

Not sure all Metroid fans were chill with Other M, Federation Force, or when Tropical Freeze was announced!

That hasn't stopped me from dropping Elden Ring and Bloodborne at the final boss. If a game is frustrating me to a point where I can't think clearly, I drop it. I don't need that kind of stress in my life.

FWIW they do have an easy mode now if you ever want to give it a try again.

I'm glad you've grown as a person, AngryAlchemist 🙂 It's never too late to improve upon our opinions... unless we're dead. Some of my bad takes are sure to improve before my time comes, but I will also carry a vast array of them with me to the grave.
And you will grow better as a person when you acknowledge Kojima isn't pretentious #YouWillBeAshamedOfYourWords&Deeds

Haha thanks!!

Experiment No. Z-27. I just couldn't get the timing right, and just got frustrated so I stopped.
Ah yeah, I totally get it, then. Dread's bosses are easily the most intricate and involved across the entire series, after all! Z-57 in particular has a set of moves that can be tricky to dodge. If you ever return to the game and progress further, I'd love to read your impressions.
Me, who remembers the 2010 - 2017 era of the Metroid fandom:

pearl_2022_mia_goth_smiling_crying_credits_TITLE.png
If any fanbase can be given their own Other M equivalent and not be intensely critical (and bluntly, a bit unhinged!) about it, with the added context of the years long series hiatus that followed, they're indeed more chill than we are, straight-up. I won't exactly defend behavior from years back that took place in a window I wasn't as engaged in the fandom during, but after finally playing Other M circa 2016... I understood some of the ire. Boy, did I understand it.
And you will grow better as a person when you acknowledge Kojima isn't pretentious #YouWillBeAshamedOfYourWords&Deeds
The strand genre beckons.

I lack any real impassioned opinion toward Kojima (in either direction). I've only played a couple Metal Gear games, with one of them not even being his (Revengeance), and I have no interest in Death Stranding. I think the folks who worship the guy and use him as a bludgeon against other creatives are cringe, but that's obviously not his fault. If one were to seriously engage with the line of thought that Kojima is pretentious, yeah, I reckon it'd fall apart pretty quickly under any real scrutiny. I think he's just a guy who's maybe more interested in movies than games, and I find it odd how he primarily casts Western / Hollywood actors in his stuff as opposed to also mixing in some Japanese actors, but it's not egregious or anything, and clearly born of him having seen said actors in things and enjoyed their performances.

I'd probably play that horror game he's got in the works with Jordan Peele. I hope it's good.

(I can't believe we've moved the Kojima discussion to the Metroid ST, this guy really ruins everything huh 😡)

In all seriousness, re: the Metroid fandom; the fandom is indeed filled with wonderful, chill people. There were some rough spots in the past but that was many years ago at this point, and the rude voices back then didn't represent everyone in the community. I have known many genuinely friendly, kind people who share a love for Metroid.

I'm sure all fandoms have their icky peeps, but the thing about Metroid is I've very rarely actually seen them. Compared to, uh.. well lessee I'm a Star Wars fan and an MCU fan and a Sonic fan and a Zelda fan and for the love of god, a car fan.

Metroid fandom was pretty toxic in the 2010s, especially towards Sakamoto, to the point where many actually forgot has was one of the designers of the original Metroid and director of...check notes...Super Fucking Metroid. God forbid he makes one bad game and you suddenly don't want him touching the series anymore.

Metroid fandom was pretty toxic in the 2010s, especially towards Sakamoto, to the point where many actually forgot has was one of the designers of the original Metroid and director of...check notes...Super Fucking Metroid. God forbid he makes one bad game and you suddenly don't want him touching the series anymore.
I did know one guy who trash-talked Sakamoto a bunch after Other M and tried to retcon his involvement in the original games as being barely significant but he's also one of those "MCU is prejudiced against white men" and "Kathy Kennedy is ruining Star Wars by making it push the feminist agenda" types so I assumed the Sakamoto hate was just another one of his tirades as opposed to something fans were actually pulling 😅

I did know one guy who trash-talked Sakamoto a bunch after Other M and tried to retcon his involvement in the original games as being barely significant but he's also one of those "MCU is prejudiced against white men" and "Kathy Kennedy is ruining Star Wars by making it push the feminist agenda" types so I assumed the Sakamoto hate was just another one of his tirades as opposed to something fans were actually pulling 😅
tbf he wasn't very involved with 1. Claiming he was barely significant with super is silly tho.

I'd at least remove Super Metroid from that statement. I could take or leave the OSTs of most other Metroid games but Super Metroid's OST is some incredible stuff.

True TBH

C'mon Yamanoi, Metroid fans are trying to have a nice chat. Take this royalty free Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance rip-off butt rock bait elsewhere!

What else do you want me to do while I wait for my very early morning coffee? Also how do you know about Revengeance? It is not on Switch.

We need a "No!" button for terrible takes like these :p

Be positive in life instead of negative. That is the path forward.

Yeah, it's sadly a fairly common phenomenon that a creator is responsible for something fans fervently reject, and as a result, they vilify said creator, even if (as in Sakamoto's case) they were among the founding fathers of the works they enjoy. One of the most notorious examples of this is obviously George Lucas. Sure, he "may have gone too far in a few places" with the prequels, but he still created the whole universe to begin with! He still made Star Wars, and Sakamoto still made Metroid (alongside everyone else who worked on it, like Gunpei Yokoi, Hip Tanaka, etc.) I still think Other M is bad, and I doubt that's something I'll ever change my mind about, but Sakamoto is a top bloke.
I did know one guy who trash-talked Sakamoto a bunch after Other M and tried to retcon his involvement in the original games as being barely significant
Seems to be a common lie that knobheads tell themselves, lol 🥲 It's wild being such a hater of something, that you have to psyop yourself into retroactively believing the guy you're directing your ire towards played merely a small part in making that previous thing you loved. People did this with TLoU2 too! It was deemed woke, so Neil Druckmann was actually just the designated pizza orderer when he worked on TLoU1... and the Jak and Uncharted games too, I suppose.
tbf he wasn't very involved with 1.
You sure? I thought I remembered hearing they were having issues with the game shaping up the way it should, resulting in Sakamoto's role being more than merely that of a character designer.
What else do you want me to do while I wait for my very early morning coffee? Also how do you know about Revengeance? It is not on Switch.
I played it on the PS3 a decade back. We all have a dark past, but I'm better now. I promise.

Please refrain from holding my Sony affiliation against me. Thank you.

You're killing me here, Choc 😭 There's so much good music in the Prime games alone!

But I'll understand if you dislike this:

Even though a lot of it feels close to being Super Metroid/Metroid Prime/etc. music with the serial numbers filed off, the music in AM2R is so much better than Metroid 2 and Samus Returns.

(except for the Samus Returns' Lower Brinstar remix. That one track is god-tier)

You're killing me here, Choc 😭 There's so much good music in the Prime games alone!

But I'll understand if you dislike this:

Oh I ain't saying Metroid has bad music, just that Super's OST speaks to me on a level that most other game OST's dont. Like it's wildly good to me.

Meanwhile Sonic has the opposite thing, where I love the music even in the games that I don't like. 😅 Sonic music is weirdly the one thing that's consistently awesome throughout the series even when the "game" part of the games fall off a cliff.

But in Metroid, the "game" part never falls off a cliff.

Metroid has consistently good music but I can't blame people if they don't think it has consistently great OSTs, there's only like a few really good songs in most Metroid games (or almost none: see Dread and Samus Returns!)

For me Super and Prime are some of the best gaming OSTs of all time, with Prime being the best in the series, and Prime 2 is close to those. The rest are good but definitely weaker.

It's crazy that this is the second most melodic piece of music in the game!
SammyJ9 just beat me to it, but the AM2R version is so good. I like how it honors the original, but totally transforms it as well!

Even though a lot of it feels close to being Super Metroid/Metroid Prime/etc. music with the serial numbers filed off, the music in AM2R is so much better than Metroid 2 and Samus Returns.

(except for the Samus Returns' Lower Brinstar remix. That one track is god-tier)
Yeah, AM2R's soundtrack honestly rules. Sure, it's mostly new renditions of the Metroid 2 OST, plus remixes of tracks from elsewhere across the series, but it's all around bang-up work.

I always like to give Ancient Power a shout, 'cuz it's one of the completely original pieces of music from AM2R, and it's peak Metroidy:

And yeah, any version of Lower Brinstar is likely to be up there. It's my #1 favorite when it comes to Metroid music, and easily among my personal top compositions across gaming in general.

You sure? I thought I remembered hearing they were having issues with the game shaping up the way it should, resulting in Sakamoto's role being more than merely that of a character designer.
He wasn't on the core team, he joined 3 months before the game launched with the rest of the SPD gang, he also mentioned working on movement and was credited as a script writer, whatever that means for metroid 1

There's a lot of great music across the series, but it always confuses me that the Metroid Prime menu theme seems to overshadow the actual title theme for most people. It has the main six-note lietmotif in there, but it is still an overall original composition that I wish got more attention, and pretty much sums up the series perfectly.

But maybe I'm just biased since that song was what got me into the games in the first place ^^;

There's a lot of great music across the series, but it always confuses me that the Metroid Prime menu theme seems to overshadow the actual title theme for most people. It has the main six-note lietmotif in there, but it is still an overall original composition that I wish got more attention, and pretty much sums up the series perfectly.

But maybe I'm just biased since that song was what got me into the games in the first place ^^;

I think it's because some people just immediately press start so the game goes to the main menu theme. I accidentally showed my friend who's grown up with the game since the Gamecube that this is a different theme from the main menu theme, because it segues so well he just thought it was the same theme : P

This is my favorite title theme ever probably, was (might still be) my favorite Metroid theme ever. The horror vibe is just amazing.

Hi I’m a noob here, but I like Metroid. Sorry if this was already posted but here’s a cool SM enhancement audio chip soundtrack that I think is super cool

My favorite Metroid games are honestly hard to say. I’m not good at ranking my favorite games, but it’s between Super, Prime 1, and Prime 3

Back
Top Bottom