• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Praise The Process

Metroid Prime 4 in the June 2024 Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I honestly kind of blame MercurySteam's environmental design for the soundtrack being kind of a flop. Not much to go off of. Obviously this isn't the ONLY reason, though, as pointed out by a previous excellent post on the chozo tower.
It does feel like a Chicken Or Egg situation with Burenia and Ferenia having a pretty strong design sense compared to the first three areas and also having stronger themes.

On the other hand, I adore Ghavoran visually but its theme is still pretty eh, so who knows.

Blame the people that complained about Echoes being too complex that a lot of Corruption felt super streamlined.
I do :p

I honestly kind of blame MercurySteam's environmental design for the soundtrack being kind of a flop. Not much to go off of. Obviously this isn't the ONLY reason, though, as pointed out by a previous excellent post on the chozo tower.
I don't think it's the environmental design, but rather the structure of the game overall. Dread has you constantly shifting through different environments which all change up the music, whether it be the constant EMMI zones or the teleporting/tram traveling to different locations. A track like something from the prime games would never complete a full loop and often times not even get halfway through before the music would have to change.

I think I'm in love with this series now. The 2D versions for now. I've tried the Primes a bit years ago but stopped there and haven't returned. Probably sometime soon, but currently I'm too busy being infatuated with 2D Metroid.

I'm a bit too lttp, but better late than never. I've started with Fusion a few months back or more, and yesterday finished Zero Mission. Both of them I really, really liked. I looked up what to play next and still have Super Metroid, Samus Returns and Dread.

Samus Returns would be the logical one to play next after Zero Mission since it's the timeline sequel, but sadly it's on 3DS and I'd rather play on TV. I'll wait a bit and see if Nintendo decides to port it to Switch as a nice surprise shadow drop, or possibly release it on Switch 2 if they add 3DS to NSO.

So realistically for now, it's either Super Metroid or Dread. I might go Super first since I just finished Zero Mission and I'm still in that 16 bit zone.

Also, I think Samus Aran has become my favourite gaming female protagonist.

And thanks for reading my rare, long post.

I think I'm in love with this series now. The 2D versions for now. I've tried the Primes a bit years ago but stopped there and haven't returned. Probably sometime soon, but currently I'm too busy being infatuated with 2D Metroid.

I'm a bit too lttp, but better late than never. I've started with Fusion a few months back or more, and yesterday finished Zero Mission. Both of them I really, really liked. I looked up what to play next and still have Super Metroid, Samus Returns and Dread.

Samus Returns would be the logical one to play next after Zero Mission since it's the timeline sequel, but sadly it's on 3DS and I'd rather play on TV. I'll wait a bit and see if Nintendo decides to port it to Switch as a nice surprise shadow drop, or possibly release it on Switch 2 if they add 3DS to NSO.

So realistically for now, it's either Super Metroid or Dread. I might go Super first since I just finished Zero Mission and I'm still in that 16 bit zone.

Also, I think Samus Aran has become my favourite gaming female protagonist.

And thanks for reading my rare, long post.
Welcome! Fusion and Zero Mission are so good, right? Tell us how you thought both compared!

Welcome! Fusion and Zero Mission are so good, right? Tell us how you thought both compared!
I'll be honest, my memory isn't the best, so i can't remember Fusion vividly even though I played it months ago. But I do remember it looking and playing a lot like ZM. I think it was a bit more challenging though. ZM felt easier to me, even the bosses. Except mother brain, which made me rage quite a bit as it felt sadistic 🤣. The difficulty for ZM felt like a 4/10 throughout, and then ramped up to 10 with Mother Brain suddenly. Well that's how it felt to me.

Oh, I did like that the game didn't end after Mother Brain. Especially a nice surprise seeing and playing with real Samus with just a gun! I liked that touch.

It's funny how Zelda Prime 2 and 3 are
Kensuke Tanabe was involved with Zeldas LTTP, LA and OoT. I like to think his time with that series inevitably helped marry that which worked on that side for Metroid's benefit.

I personally believe that, if Nintendo decides to permanently move away from the traditional 3D Zelda formula, the Prime games should fill that void.
Yeah, I was just talking about something similar in the other topic! LOL

Long story short, I got turned on to Metroid when I was looking for something to fill the void that a world without a proper Zelda II successor left in my heart, and I was glad that I did.

I'll be honest, my memory isn't the best, so i can't remember Fusion vividly even though I played it months ago. But I do remember it looking and playing a lot like ZM. I think it was a bit more challenging though. ZM felt easier to me, even the bosses. Except mother brain, which made me rage quite a bit as it felt sadistic 🤣. The difficulty for ZM felt like a 4/10 throughout, and then ramped up to 10 with Mother Brain suddenly. Well that's how it felt to me.

Oh, I did like that the game didn't end after Mother Brain. Especially a nice surprise seeing and playing with real Samus with just a gun! I liked that touch.
Fusion's bosses are the most complex on the series. I'd say Metroid Prime 2 (a game you'll eventually play) takes a lot from it.

Metroid is just The Legend of Zelda: Oops! All Dungeons

(I think the series kind of owes its continued existence to Zelda, because the Metroid gameplay loop established in Super of getting a new item and going back to use it on all the obstacles in the area you couldn't interact with earlier is probably from Link's Awakening the year prior. It was a big shift from prior Metroids, where the areas were more open and only a few items were mandatory to complete the game. It's easy to see an alternate universe with no Super Metroid where the series is long dead and about as notable as Kid Icarus or something, so if Zelda hadn't had that innovation who knows where Metroid would be now.)

(I think the series kind of owes its continued existence to Zelda, because the Metroid gameplay loop established in Super of getting a new item and going back to use it on all the obstacles in the area you couldn't interact with earlier is probably from Link's Awakening the year prior. It was a big shift from prior Metroids, where the areas were more open and only a few items were mandatory to complete the game. It's easy to see an alternate universe with no Super Metroid where the series is long dead and about as notable as Kid Icarus or something, so if Zelda hadn't had that innovation who knows where Metroid would be now.)
Counterpoint: Metroid always did lock and key better than Zelda, so Metroid still wins!

It's funny how Zelda Prime 2 and 3 are
I love when this is brought up, they very much are!! Metroid games generally feels like one giant complex Zelda dungeon, but Prime 2 and especially Prime 3 are definitely “segmented” moreso than 1. They have you criss crossing a lot less, and generally sticking to one area at a time. In fact, they both almost exactly follow the same formula of each main area you visit being relatively contained except for one revisit for an item in a previous area.

In Prime 2 it’s
Agon->Torvus->Sanctuary with a return trip to Temple Grounds for the Seeker Missiles in Torvus, and a return trip to Torvus for the Spider Ball in Sanctuary

In Prime 3 its
Bryyo->Skytown->Pirate Homeworld, with a return trip to Bryyo (new ice area though!) for the Screw Attack in Skytown, and a return trip to Skytown for the Spider Ball in Pirate Homeworld.

With intro and key hunt and final boss segments on either side of those three main areas.

The more self contained areas definitely lend the games more of a feeling like you’re progressing through multiple “dungeons” like Zelda.

I’ve also thought that Skyward Sword was almost Zelda’s answer back to Metroid for Prime 2 and 3, given how it shifted to a bit of a dungeon feel in the overworld. Heavy story gating and handholding prevent the comparisons from going much further, but yeah.

I really don't find Metroid all that similar to Zelda outside of some surface level similarities. The structure and design language is so different, not to mention the setting and music/asthetic.

It's not the same but even back in the Metroid 1 days it was a bland of Mario and Zelda. It scratches that itch, you know?

Edit: also, so happy this thread is going fast! Metroid lives :D

I've never played any Metroid game. Gave a try to Metroid NES, and damn, that was extremely confusing. How were people able to play it back then?

Anyway, I gave up and now I'm playing Zero Mission. Much better, I'm enjoying it.

Only the batteries left! Hope this isn't a pain 😔
IIRC the Prime 3 fetch quest is less egregious than the previous Prime games. You don't need all the batteries for a start and I believe you'll have picked up a couple naturally already.

In any event, I hope it's something that Prime 4 considers dropping altogether, or at least tries to make it less of a pacing killer.

IIRC the Prime 3 fetch quest is less egregious than the previous Prime games. You don't need all the batteries for a start and I believe you'll have picked up a couple naturally already.

In any event, I hope it's something that Prime 4 considers dropping altogether, or at least tries to make it less of a pacing killer.
I'm finding it considerably more annoying because of the loading screens from the ship going from A to B...

Truthfully I don't remember them being any more of an issue than the loading screens in Prime 1 - but it has been ages since I played the third one.
Interestingly I got all but one of the keys in 1 before the lock... And in 2 I found all of them just navigating. 3 had some nasty ones... Had to YouTube 🫣

Beat it! Super fun final boss fights.

I guess I'll write a few of my impressions of each game.

Echoes: emulating the first game was a wide decision but the dark world mechanic only clicked with me at the final third. Until then, it was just annoying. The transition between areas felt less fluid than 1, too, which I found very grating. Sanctuary Fortress was a highlight, plus some of the bosses (Fusion lives!).

Corruption: the Skyward Sword of the series? Not only because of motion controls. I played this on primehack so sometimes it was a challenge without pointer controls, haha. The game clicked in Sky Town and only got better. Really fun, even if it's way too linear. Also, it was the slimmest time of all 3 Prime games for me AND the biggest completion rate...

I'm now ready for Prime 4! :)

Last edited:
Just played through Zero Mission and really loved it but I just want to say fuuuuuck that Mother Brain room. A masterpiece of game design for the whole game and then they decided to do this.

Were fetch quests a big thing during the GameCube era? Prime 1 has the artifacts, and Prime 2 has the key hunt. Outside of Metroid, Wind Waker and the Triforce hunt comes to mind.

I don't anticipate that to be a thing in Prime 4. If they really need to add a couple extra hours of play time to the campaign, I'm sure they could find better ways to do it.

Were fetch quests a big thing during the GameCube era? Prime 1 has the artifacts, and Prime 2 has the key hunt. Outside of Metroid, Wind Waker and the Triforce hunt comes to mind.

I don't anticipate that to be a thing in Prime 4. If they really need to add a couple extra hours of play time to the campaign, I'm sure they could find better ways to do it.

I think the keyhunt in Corruption was handled beautifully. I wouldn't mind if they went something similar to that route. To me, it was never about padding the game length. It was more about giving you a chance to backtrack through areas so you'd notice places where you could use your abilities to get more upgrades so you'd be better prepared for the final battle.

I think the keyhunt in Corruption was handled beautifully. I wouldn't mind if they went something similar to that route. To me, it was never about padding the game length. It was more about giving you a chance to backtrack through areas so you'd notice places where you could use your abilities to get more upgrades so you'd be better prepared for the final battle.
Yeah, calling it padding was a bit harsh of me. I already like to go through places once more anyways just to pick up more items, so it has never been a huge deal.

I always liked the key hunts/artifact hunts/etc. for that reason, and also it feels like a victory lap - you’re fully powered up and get to go back to older areas feeling like a badass against things that maybe once were troublesome.

After giving Hunters another shot, I think I'm officially throwing in the towel on it. I'm just not having a good time at all, and I'd go as far as calling it an outright bad game. I apologize to Hunters fans.

Putting aside the (admittedly major) issue of the controls causing me actual physical pain to my hands, it's very badly padded and repetitive. The map is probably the worst map in Metroid history, with the confusing 3D nature of Prime's map but, maddeningly, without the ability to rotate it, making reading it in those escape sequences next to impossible, especially when the locations like the Celestial Archives have many very samey rooms. It was in the second Celestial Archives escape sequence, trying for about 20 minutes to no avail that I just shut the game off and consider myself done.

Not to mention, the gameplay barely resembles Metroid in the slightest. And then you have the unfun boss fights (a grand total of two repeated ad nauseum), irritating gameplay loop, bad sound effects, repeated Guardian fights that just slow your momentum, and I struggle to find much to praise this game for.

There is no Metroid game that needs or ever needed a remake as badly as this one does. And not just a simple polish with better controls. It needs, from the ground up, a total redesign in structure.

I'm sorry. I'm probably playing it wrong.

After giving Hunters another shot, I think I'm officially throwing in the towel on it. I'm just not having a good time at all, and I'd go as far as calling it an outright bad game. I apologize to Hunters fans.

Putting aside the (admittedly major) issue of the controls causing me actual physical pain to my hands, it's very badly padded and repetitive. The map is probably the worst map in Metroid history, with the confusing 3D nature of Prime's map but, maddeningly, without the ability to rotate it, making reading it in those escape sequences next to impossible, especially when the locations like the Celestial Archives have many very samey rooms. It was in the second Celestial Archives escape sequence, trying for about 20 minutes to no avail that I just shut the game off and consider myself done.

Not to mention, the gameplay barely resembles Metroid in the slightest. And then you have the unfun boss fights (a grand total of two repeated ad nauseum), irritating gameplay loop, bad sound effects, repeated Guardian fights that just slow your momentum, and I struggle to find much to praise this game for.

There is no Metroid game that needs or ever needed a remake as badly as this one does. And not just a simple polish with better controls. It needs, from the ground up, a total redesign in structure.

I can totally understand not enjoying Prime Hunters. My best memories with the game are all centered around the multi-player. I went through the single player years later, and it's very repetitive. The only boss I remember is that tower thing that appears over and over again.

You're not playing it wrong. The single player is mediocre at best. Multiplayer was that game's saving grace.

I missed out on Metroid Prime Hunters in its prime (hehe) so I never got to play the multiplayer when it was active, sadly. I've heard it was fun.

I missed out on Metroid Prime Hunters in its prime (hehe) so I never got to play the multiplayer when it was active, sadly. I've heard it was fun.
If they remade the multiplayer to look like Prime remastered and put in a few more game modes they'd have an all time great arena shooter on their hands. Baffled they haven't tbh. Heck throw in Hunters 99 to have a shoehorned battle royale. Easy feckin' money.

If they remade the multiplayer to look like Prime remastered and put in a few more game modes they'd have an all time great arena shooter on their hands. Baffled they haven't tbh. Heck throw in Hunters 99 to have a shoehorned battle royale. Easy feckin' money.
It's actually kind of shocking that they haven't remade Hunters, considering how connected Prime 4 is going to be to it. Hunters might even be more important to Prime 4 than the previous Prime trilogy will be, and it's stuck on an old handheld and has a very thrown-together subpar single-player. It needs another version arguably more than Metroid Prime 1 needed.

I've never played any Metroid game. Gave a try to Metroid NES, and damn, that was extremely confusing. How were people able to play it back then?

Anyway, I gave up and now I'm playing Zero Mission. Much better, I'm enjoying it.
Yea I tried that too and couldn't. I mean I could but it's way too archaic and limited. I even tried Samus Returns on GB, which is a bit better since I can shoot crouching, but it felt too empty and boring.

Good thing they remade these two.

Preach. Hunters (at least the story mode) is ass, dawg.

But this map screen music is so surprisingly good. Love the ambient space vibes!
Yeah, I do really appreciate that one.

Dread does have some good tracks honestly, a lot I would put on par with the more ambient pieces from Prime; it just feels like it suffers from downplayed audio mixing and a lack of more melodic themes to accompany them. The only tracks I would call outright bad are most of the boss themes, which feel to me like notes placed randomly with RNG.

So playing through Dread, I already knew people didn't really like the OST and yeah it's not amazing

But this map screen music is so surprisingly good. Love the ambient space vibes!

I was listening through the Dread OST today and I think it's really fascinating because the tracks are generally pretty good and cleverly written with leitmotifs and proper ambience, yet it fell flat for most players, myself included, and I'm trying to figure out why. I think the ingredients are all there, but maybe it's the instrumentation, or the way it all gets drowned out by the sound effects in game? I feel like there should be a lengthy write-up by someone more musically inclined than me to explain why the soundtrack is less than the sum of its parts.

Metroid is Zelda with guns. Kid Icarus is Mario with a Bow. lol jk

Another thing that fascinates me is the Zelda II genre. It's awesome and also basically dead.

kayin.moe - Metroid: Dread - How Metroid Lost its Way

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted here before, Michael "Kayin" O’Reilly (creator of I Wanna be the Guy) wrote a very fine and potentially controversial piece harshly critiquing Metroid Dread. I don't agree with all their stances, but the core statement really nails down a feeling I've had bubbling around ever since finishing the game, of how Dread is far too much of a well-oiled machine for its own good, that it refuses to ever fully hand the wheel over to the player and encourage exploration, or even slowing down a bit to take in the world and let it stew with you.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted here before, Michael "Kayin" O’Reilly (creator of I Wanna be the Guy) wrote a very fine and potentially controversial piece harshly critiquing Metroid Dread. I don't agree with all their stances, but the core statement really nails down a feeling I've had bubbling around ever since finishing the game, of how Dread is far too much of a well-oiled machine for its own good, that it refuses to ever fully hand the wheel over to the player and encourage exploration, or even slowing down a bit to take in the world and let it stew with you.
I agree but it's still a very good experience.

It's not any different than Metroid Fusion. They are veeeerry similar. Fusion was super guided. Dread is probably a little bit more free tbh. If my memory serves me correctly. Dread also has better combat and bosses and stuff. It's worth it despite the flaws mentioned. Towards the end of the game there is still the sense you can go around and do clean up. Dread is a really good game and it has challenge. That's more important than it letting you get lost.

If Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom had actual combat challenge I would 100% forgive them for not letting me get lost in the dungeons. Unfortunately it has neither lol Dread at least provides challenge. It's kind of like a souls-lite experience I found.

Prime 4 will bring us BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:letsfuckinggo: :letsfuckinggo:

Oh wow, I used to be big into IWBTG during my preteen years

Anyway I completely agree on the points about the exploration/map design/emmis but not the combat, combat was good and better than I ever cared for combat in a metroid game to be.

Someone with as much opinions of Dread as me willing to distill that into words... Great reading. Agree with almost everything.

I'm nearly done reading through this critique, and it seems apt to describe it as "a boomer's lament". I'll go into why I think so in a more detailed post later, but for now, I'll just say that some of these criticisms are giving off an energy similar to Peter Griffin's "it insists upon itself".

The assertion that Super Metroid's bosses are better, that Raven Beak is only good because the rest of the game's bosses are bad, and that the author was "gaslit" regarding Dread's bosses being good at all is... well, the nicest way I can put it is that the 30 year old iconic classic, Super Metroid, is available on the Nintendo Switch family of systems with a Nintendo Switch Online subscription through the Super Nintendo Entertainment System app. Perhaps that's the only Metroid experience some should have, as it's clearly the one they want each subsequent entry to mimic.

I'm nearly done reading through this critique, and it seems apt to describe it as "a boomer's lament". I'll go into why I think so in a more detailed post later, but for now, I'll just say that some of these criticisms are giving off an energy similar to Peter Griffin's "it insists upon itself".

The assertion that Super Metroid's bosses are better, that Raven Beak is only good because the rest of the game's bosses are bad, and that the author was "gaslit" regarding Dread's bosses being good at all is... well, the nicest way I can put it is that the 30 year old iconic classic, Super Metroid, is available on the Nintendo Switch family of systems with a Nintendo Switch Online subscription through the Super Nintendo Entertainment System app. Perhaps that's the only Metroid experience some should have, as it's clearly the one they want each subsequent entry to mimic.
#proudboomer :p

Back
Top Bottom