• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Praise The Process

Metroid Prime 4 in the June 2024 Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really not a fan of having to parry in these mini cutscenes to finish off a boss in Dread :/ At times I just felt like a confused jabroni pressing x and y to see what happens.

On the plus side all the EMMI stuff is really fun and being on the run trying to find a good hiding spot is great

Last edited:
Really not a fan of having to parry in these mini cutscenes to finish off a boss in Dread :/ At times I just felt like a confused jabroni pressing x and y to see what happens.

On the plus side all the EMMI stuff is really fun and being on the run trying to find a good hiding spot is great
I don't think any of those parries are actually required. IIrc there's a couple lategame bosses that do -
Basically all the chozo X and Raven Beak
but while they give a botload of damage, and thus are more often than not the last attacks you'll land on the boss, they aren't necessary for I'd say about 80% of the games bosses.

When people say Dread gets even better on replays, this is one of the reasons why. After you've replayed a boss a few times, you'll be able to hit those in your sleep. The window is very lenient, and unlike the EMMIs' they're not randomized.

Honestly, having a boss rush was a godsend for practicing, and made a lot of bosses I was iffy on way more fun. Drogyga, for example, is an easy one to optimize.

The only takes explicitly forbidden are ones praising Other M or Soshi Abe 🙂 I'm joking of course, you're allowed to like Other M!
I've watched other people play stretches of Other M, but I've never given it a playthrough myself. There's actually a copy of the game from long ago in my basement, but I'm afraid my hand will catch fire if I touch it.

Hey guys, I ended up buying Metroid Prime remaster in the current sale(also after MP4 hype) and after 5 hours in I have to say it's definitely my thing. Visuals are surprisingly great. As a good metroidvania, plenty of backtracking and places that makes me wonder where they will lead to when I unlock my next ability. I always had some resistance because I'm not a sci-fi nor FPS person but this time I was able to overcome this friction and it seems to be paying off.

Btw, playing with dual analog + motion for camera.

Hey guys, I ended up buying Metroid Prime remaster in the current sale(also after MP4 hype) and after 5 hours in I have to say it's definitely my thing. Visuals are surprisingly great. As a good metroidvania, plenty of backtracking and places that makes me wonder where they will lead to when I unlock my next ability. I always had some resistance because I'm not a sci-fi nor FPS person but this time I was able to overcome this friction and it seems to be paying off.

Btw, playing with dual analog + motion for camera.
Glad you are enjoying it! It's cool that you were able to look past your initial preferences and give the game a try. Metroid Prime isn't really a FPS, at least in the traditional sense, but it's not easy to see that unless you actually play it. That makes it difficult to explain the game to people.

I think the remaster controls also make it easier to get into. I don't mind the original GameCube controls myself, but I understand they are very outdated.

I just remembered a story you all might enjoy.

When I was a kid, my parents would not let me play rated T games until I actually turned 13. The only real exception was Smash Bros. It made me sad when my brother got to play Twilight Princess and I wasn't even allowed to watch. I then decided that I would have my own rated T game to play when I finally turned 13.

When I was 12, a few weeks before turning 13, I decided to ask for Metroid Prime 3 for my birthday. This would be my entrance into teenager-hood. I had only ever played 2D Metroid games because the T rating prevented me from trying the Prime games.

Anyways, everything worked out and I got Prime 3 for my 13th birthday. I played it, eagerly looking for that edgy "rated T" moment, and then it happened. As soon as Admiral Dane shouted "Damn!", a whole new world was opened up to me. Metroid Prime 3 marked the end of my early childhood, and the beginning of my transition into a more "mature" gamer. It took a lot of waiting to get there, but I did it. Perhaps this was when I learned to trust the process, even though I didn' know it by name back then. I have Retro Studios, Nintendo, and Admiral Dane to thank for that!

Last edited:
Was really hyped after Beyond demonstration and decided to get this.
axrPiK1ZZ8g.jpg
uTtcXkCbFco.jpg

My used copy of Hunters had all the files from other players stop at around 50% story completion.

I'm at that spot now and I understand why because I'm pretty much calling it quits on this game too.

do they have any interesting to say?

• First Retro game Kit helped market was Trilogy, first one Krysta worked on was Corruption.
  • Corruption felt like a smaller marketing campaign to Krysta
  • Since Retro were a development team that reported directly to NCL, it felt that there was always a bit of barrier between them and NOA despite being on the same continent (same deal with NLG); Retro in general felt like they were a bit isolated from the larger Nintendo structure because of their location
  • Kit became the PR liaison for Retro Studios
  • Retro always felt really grateful about getting marketing support, which surprised them; tied that back to Retro being a more isolated dev team that may have been curious about what everyone else at Nintendo was doing
  • Kit found them to be a very sweet group of people
  • Story about their 2014 visit around the time of SXSW, Retro had moved to a new office park recently
  • First thing CEO Michael Kelbaugh did was take them to get BBQ, felt like Retro were just excited that anyone from Nintendo was visiting them
  • Sidebar where they wonder how JP producers are treated when they show up; note that Tanabe has a dedicated office and that he'll occasionally stay for a few months at a time, joked about him probably eating brisket while listening to Babymetal
  • Kelbaugh was really happy about the new office space: the tiki bar in their lunch area, sound stage, theater space, etc.
  • Kelbaugh is very focused on keeping team morale up at all times
  • Standard cubicle farm main area, but feels less sterile than NCL's

Last edited:
I was wondering if the Zelda thing Jeff referenced a year ago was Echoes of Wisdom, meaning his information was a year ahead. Maybe it means that the MP2 remaster is coming "relatively soonish" for real this time...

m8ba9l.jpg

Other M or Soshi Abe
Aww, I feel bad for Abe & Doi. Honestly, I feel like it must've been a direction thing (I wonder who did music direction for Dread... 😏). How was the Pikmin 4 OST? Abe worked on that as well.

In general I feel like Nintendo soundtracks these past years have been surprisingly unremarkable. Mario Wonder had the chance to reinvigorate 2D Mario music but was just OK. Tears of the Kingdom was mostly recycling Breath of the Wild, and Metroid Dread just felt super cautious in it's composing. It seems like the new guard is afraid to flex their compositional muscles for some reason.

At least the trailer music for Echoes of Wisdom is absolutely delightful so let's hope that'll buck the trend!

Aww, I feel bad for Abe & Doi. Honestly, I feel like it must've been a direction thing (I wonder who did music direction for Dread... 😏). How was the Pikmin 4 OST? Abe worked on that as well.

In general I feel like Nintendo soundtracks these past years have been surprisingly unremarkable. Mario Wonder had the chance to reinvigorate 2D Mario music but was just OK. Tears of the Kingdom was mostly recycling Breath of the Wild, and Metroid Dread just felt super cautious in it's composing. It seems like the new guard is afraid to flex their compositional muscles for some reason.

At least the trailer music for Echoes of Wisdom is absolutely delightful so let's hope that'll buck the trend!
I keep my Abe and Doi remarks going mainly as a bit, haha. In all honesty (and I've said this before), I'm sure their work is good, I just think that either they aren't the right fit for Metroid, or they simply didn't manage to nail its sound for other reasons, despite Yamamoto's direction. Maybe they'd do better on Metroid 6, assuming they return.

You don't know how happy I was to hear the Space Pirate theme and the new piece of music in the Beyond trailer! It's either Yamamoto himself, or someone honoring his style. Great stuff.

Y'all... Metroid Prime 3...ain't it. I think if at least Samus's ship wasn't a thing the game could've been better but it's so fragmented... Retro really needed some time to try something else, get some fresh air and then come back to the series.
Where in the game are you right now?

Hey now, Soshi Abe was responsible for the kick ass Crocodile Cacophony arrangement in Smash Ultimate, he can't be all that bad.
I sincerely hope that the good music we hear at the end of the trailer was composed by him and that he really is talented and knows how to imitate Kenji Yamamoto's style, meaning that the music of the franchise is in good hands.

It's either Yamamoto himself, or someone honoring his style.
I sincerely hope that the good music we hear at the end of the trailer was composed by him and that he really is talented and knows how to imitate Kenji Yamamoto's style, meaning that the music of the franchise is in good hands.
I like how established Prime's musical style has become. I think it works best when it leans hard into oldschool analog synthesizers and mellotron - that Prime main theme '70s spacey proggy sound is tasty. Definitely a style with a lot of character, and also growth potential, so I hope Yamamoto or new blood takes it even further!

Y'all... Metroid Prime 3...ain't it. I think if at least Samus's ship wasn't a thing the game could've been better but it's so fragmented... Retro really needed some time to try something else, get some fresh air and then come back to the series.

Bummer you aren't feeling it, it's my favorite of the trilogy! Hopefully Prime 4 will resonate with you more.

I'm enjoying it more than 2! I like the new additions to the gameplay and the tight level design. Just going from point a to b by ship is a huuuuuge downgrade for me, but I can live with it!

Blame the people that complained about Echoes being too complex that a lot of Corruption felt super streamlined. But even so, I always ask people what the difference between an elevator cutscene between areas vs. a ship cutscene between areas, because that's basically all it is :p

Pikmin 4's OST was bad. Was mostly environmental background music with little-to-no memorable melodies.

Glad you are enjoying it! It's cool that you were able to look past your initial preferences and give the game a try. Metroid Prime isn't really a FPS, at least in the traditional sense, but it's not easy to see that unless you actually play it. That makes it difficult to explain the game to people.

I think the remaster controls also make it easier to get into. I don't mind the original GameCube controls myself, but I understand they are very outdated.
Yeah, it feels different than FPS. It's a genre that I like some multiplayer(CS, Overwatch) but doesn't interest me as much for single player.

Dual analog + gyro is game changer for me because I hate to death playing first person games without mouse + keyboard.

Pikmin 4's OST was bad. Was mostly environmental background music with little-to-no memorable melodies.
I mean that is scoring in 2024 - scores have largely moved away from leitmotifs - This article is worth a read - largely, film scoring has moved more towards rhythms and textures rather than "themes" and melodies - just the usual generational tastes changing as it feels "old fashioned" to some - though I actually feel like its been cycling back around (possibly due to stuff like anime having such a foothold with younger generations) - so i think there will be more leitmotifs/melody driven scores in the future
https://www.slashfilm.com/1598470/w...ie-themes-gone-hollywood-composers-speak-out/

I mean that is scoring in 2024 - scores have largely moved away from leitmotifs - This article is worth a read - largely, film scoring has moved more towards rhythms and textures rather than "themes" and melodies - just the usual generational tastes changing as it feels "old fashioned" to some - though I actually feel like its been cycling back around (possibly due to stuff like anime having such a foothold with younger generations) - so i think there will be more leitmotifs/melody driven scores in the future
https://www.slashfilm.com/1598470/w...ie-themes-gone-hollywood-composers-speak-out/
Yeah the general shift away from melodies is shit tastes in my opinion. They're what makes music catchy.

The lack of melodies has been the standard in Hollywood and Western AAA games since the mid-2000s. Nintendo has fallen victim to the trend only recently this generation sadly.

Prime 3 suffered hard from nintendo wii-era design sensibilities, twilight princess was another big victim

Really? It reminds me more of Skyward Sword for obvious reasons
overly linear, handholdy, and lacking in challenge. SS suffers from these too.

I personally believe that, if Nintendo decides to permanently move away from the traditional 3D Zelda formula, the Prime games should fill that void.
I disagree, a big part of classic zelda's charms happened with towns and NPC and whatnot, something I don't want metroid touching. If anything Prime needs to continue to focus on environmental exploration which the 2D series has kept in the background for decades.

I'm not sure about that, I think both franchises just have lock-and-key design in most entries. At least Zelda used to pre-BOTW.

Prime 2's progression isn't different than Prime 1. Prime 3 is mostly the same except a little more linear due to the multiple planets.
Prime 1 doesn't have anything like Sanctuary Fortress

Back
Top Bottom