• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Praise The Process

Metroid Prime 4 in the June 2024 Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The bosses in Dread were the single biggest improvement Mercury Stream made over their Samus Returns bosses in my opinion. I was actually surprised they improved their boss game that much. I think they’ll probably focus on them again if they get another game simply because that’s what they’re best at now, but I wouldn’t call it a weak point of Dread.

Last edited:
The bosses in Dread were the single biggest improvement Mercury Stream made over their Samus Returns bosses in my opinion. I was actually surprised they improved their boss game that much. I think they’ll probably focus on them again if they get another game simply because that’s what they’re best at now, but I wouldn’t call it a weak point of Dread.

I may be in the extreme minority, but I thought the bosses in Lords of Shadow 2 were pretty freaking excellent. I actually liked the bosses in SR as well, I just wished there were more of them. But yeah, Dread has the best collection of bosses in the Metroid Series without a doubt. My only criticism is the repetitive fights with the corrupted Chozo Warriors.

After having my fill of Prime Remastered's tedious and frustrating boss fights - I'd reached Metroid Prime but couldn't stomach any more - I restarted on Easy mode. Exploration is where the fun is anyway so starting anew didn't feel like a punishment at all.

Second playthrough on Easy mode might've been more fun than the first one just by virtue of knowing a little more about the game. Pointer controls also work much better for me than standard shooter controls because it fits the slow-moving vibe of the game a lot better. Yeah, it's kind of an amazing game xD .

Finally succeeded in defeating Metroid Prime just now, and I sure as heck hope Prime 4 radically overhauls it's boss fights. Dread has some TASTY boss fights, and that says a lot coming from someone who generally doesn't enjoy them.

Also, the music is hecka interesting so I hope Yamamoto returns...!

Woke up this morning

Got myself a Yamamoto soundtrack for the next Metroid Prime video game only for the Nintendo Switch family of systems coming out at an undetermined time in 2025

After having my fill of Prime Remastered's tedious and frustrating boss fights - I'd reached Metroid Prime but couldn't stomach any more - I restarted on Easy mode. Exploration is where the fun is anyway so starting anew didn't feel like a punishment at all.

Second playthrough on Easy mode might've been more fun than the first one just by virtue of knowing a little more about the game. Pointer controls also work much better for me than standard shooter controls because it fits the slow-moving vibe of the game a lot better. Yeah, it's kind of an amazing game xD .

Finally succeeded in defeating Metroid Prime just now, and I sure as heck hope Prime 4 radically overhauls it's boss fights. Dread has some TASTY boss fights, and that says a lot coming from someone who generally doesn't enjoy them.

Also, the music is hecka interesting so I hope Yamamoto returns...!

The bossfights in Prime 2 and 3 are much better. Prime 1's bosses are easily it's weakest aspect.

Woke up this morning

Got myself a Yamamoto soundtrack for the next Metroid Prime video game only for the Nintendo Switch family of systems coming out at an undetermined time in 2025

Remember to check under your bed for Soshi Abe before you go to sleep tonight.

Thank God for the rewind feature on GBA NSO.

I don't think I would have beaten Mother Brain in Zero Mission without it. It's an exceptionally poorly designed boss.

Edit: And to think, people initially did it on a much smaller handheld with considerably darker lighting and no rewind feature. Kudos to them!

Yeah the bosses are easily the worst part of Zero Mission. The least bad one is Ridley because it dies in seconds to missile spam. But in my experience Mother Brain is certainly doable without rewind although it's pretty tedious.

Otherwise fantastic game though, my second favorite Metroid game after Dread.

I don't remember the last time I played Zero Mission on the intended route. I always get the Varia Suit pre-Kraid and skip Imago (unless I'm going for 100% and even then I'll only go back to fight it after Ridley). I tried Ridley first way back when but had a tough time with it, may try again soon.

Finished Zero Mission this evening.

It's good, really good in fact. Not too sure that the additional Space Pirate Ship section really added too much ultimately. Though I do like how it leads up to a final powerful romp through the ship, I thought the stealth stuff was relatively superficial.

That being said, the actual idea intrigues me. I'd definitely be interested in a fully committed stealth game with a de-powered Samus. Hell, have there been any stealth Metroidvanias before?

Continuing my run with Prime 2, I'm remembering why I was just a little bit down on the game when I first played it.

Getting through Agon Wastes was a breeze, but I struggled with Torvus Bog at times. It wasn't the difficulty -- it was just a lot easier to get lost. On top of that, Alpha Blogg and Chykka (at least the larva part) were not fun boss fights for me. Torvus has fantastic atmosphere and music, but actually getting through it still feels like a slog, unfortunately.

I'm curious how everyone else feels about Torvus Bog, and how you all think it compares to the rest of the game? I think it's more visually interesting than Temple Grounds and Agon Wastes, but the reasons I described above are why I don't enjoy it too much. I don't think any of those places compare to Sanctuary Fortress, though. I just got to its first save station before calling it a day. I look forward to continuing tomorrow, because Sanctuary Fortress is peak.

Continuing my run with Prime 2, I'm remembering why I was just a little bit down on the game when I first played it.

Getting through Agon Wastes was a breeze, but I struggled with Torvus Bog at times. It wasn't the difficulty -- it was just a lot easier to get lost. On top of that, Alpha Blogg and Chykka (at least the larva part) were not fun boss fights for me. Torvus has fantastic atmosphere and music, but actually getting through it still feels like a slog, unfortunately.

I'm curious how everyone else feels about Torvus Bog, and how you all think it compares to the rest of the game? I think it's more visually interesting than Temple Grounds and Agon Wastes, but the reasons I described above are why I don't enjoy it too much. I don't think any of those places compare to Sanctuary Fortress, though. I just got to its first save station before calling it a day. I look forward to continuing tomorrow, because Sanctuary Fortress is peak.
Torvus Bog is my least favorite stretch of the game, though I appreciate the challenge and not always knowing where to go next. I feel like it’s the most satisfying to complete as a result once you are done even if I’m sure whenever I play it again I’ll dread a bit tackling it again.

Agon Wastes is good and Sanctuary Fortress is absolutely the highlight of Prime 2.

I beat Zero Mission on NSO over the weekend and my primary feeling is that hard mode really should have been unlocked from the start.

To be fair, my first playthrough (around release date) did feel balanced, but it was also the second 2D Metroid I'd beaten at the time (after Fusion).

I'm playing through it and I never got so lost in a Prime game...and it's all due to the dark world mechanic... In Prime 1 I didn't have to check the map at all, but now I'm on the map screen all the time lol. I'm still having fun because it's Metroid but...idk.

Torvus Bog is always the part I think about when the sheer difficulty of navigating Prime 2 comes up. You can't just walk to your destination, you have to carefully plot a course through two dimensions to get where you're going. This isn't absent from the rest of the game, but I think it's most confusing here.

The part that really reinforces that impression is probably having to go all the way back to the bottom of it for the power bombs midway through Sanctuary Fortress though. And also having to leave Torvus to get the seeker missiles and then come back to finish it. And I suppose you can add the key hunts too. The game just really wants you to keep backtracking through Torvus Bog for some reason.

Thank you for this, Yamanoi. It made my night. However, I am focused on Praising The Process right now, as trusting it has recently proven fruitful. It's important to show gratitude. Please spread the good word of The Process in Donkey Kong and Hollow Knight threads, as those communities could really use it right now.

Donkey Kong cannot return yet because Nintendo saw how poorly Tears of the Kingdom sold compared to Breath of the Wild for charging $70. On Switch 2, when the prestige level rises, Donkey "$70" Kong will be back.

I am finally playing Dread for the first time, was on my "to play" list for ages and I decided to pick it up now due to sales + a gap until the next Nintendo game I'm buying.

Excited to get stuck in!

I love the Torvus Bog. When you walk in there for the first time and the music kicks in, that's the moment when I'm like, "Now THIS is Metroid Prime!" It's such a stark contrast from the ruined Temple Grounds and the hot, arid Agon wastes. It injects a high dose of cool ambience into you that the first third of the game is lacking. It easily has the best music in the game, and is beautifully visually. Both the upper and lower areas are wonderfully designed and fun to traverse with plenty of great lore and interesting enemies to fight. The only negative is it has my least favorite collection of bosses and mini bosses in the game. Overall though, this is a close to top tier Metroid Prime area, though not quite on the "sheer brilliance" level of Sanctuary Fortress or Skytown.

Torvus Bog is always the part I think about when the sheer difficulty of navigating Prime 2 comes up. You can't just walk to your destination, you have to carefully plot a course through two dimensions to get where you're going. This isn't absent from the rest of the game, but I think it's most confusing here.
Honestly, that's what I love so much about it. Agon Wastes really sets the mood, but Torvus Bog is where the game really takes off the training wheels and gives a proper navigational challenge. But then, apparently I have an unusually strong sense of direction in these games, so I can see how it would be frustrating rather than exciting.

I love the Torvus Bog. When you walk in there for the first time and the music kicks in, that's the moment when I'm like, "Now THIS is Metroid Prime!" It's such a stark contrast from the ruined Temple Grounds and the hot, arid Agon wastes. It injects a high dose of cool ambience into you that the first third of the game is lacking. It easily has the best music in the game, and is beautifully visually.
This doesn't hurt, either. I've come to appreciate Agon Wastes a ton, but Torvus is where the game reminds you how gorgeous it can be.

I really really hope we can get a great Remaster on the same level as Prime; Echoes deserves it.

Ow. TnT

Higher highs and lower lows
I've come to realize that I have a love-hate relationship with Metroid Prime 2, and this describes it perfectly. Maybe not even love-hate, more like love-frustration. It has some of my favorite moments in the entire Metroid series, but also some of my worst memories. Examples:

Best
  • Sanctuary Fortress: I think it's my favorite area across all the Prime games
  • Quadraxis
  • Final boss & escape sequence
Worst
  • Torvus Bog section just drags for me
  • Alpha Blogg: the first time I played MP2, I lost a TON of progress because of this jerk
  • Spider ball guardian: I like the idea, but my goodness the morph ball does not control well enough in this game to center a boss fight around it
The high points are enough for me to like MP2 more than MP3, but the low points bring it down enough so I like it less than MP1. I don't mean to rag on MP2, I still think it's a fantastic game; it just had some misfires.

I'd like to say that the Metroid community in Fami is really cool and I'm glad I got into it. ^^ I have friends who play games but none of them are as into Nintendo games as I am so this comm is a godsend. I love reading all different opinions on the videogames and I can't wait for us to play Prime 4 together!

I'd like to say that the Metroid community in Fami is really cool and I'm glad I got into it. ^^ I have friends who play games but none of them are as into Nintendo games as I am so this comm is a godsend. I love reading all different opinions on the videogames and I can't wait for us to play Prime 4 together!
You've been pretty active across Fami's Metroid threads lately! I've enjoyed reading your posts and chatting 😄 At one point, I thought you were a newer member, but then I realized your account is actually a day older than mine 😱 It's been cool seeing you around! I love the community we've got going here. Whenever life gets me down, I know I can chill in this thread with you fine folks, praising Fusion and Corruption, or punching my plushie of the Metroid Dread OST in its face in order to relieve stress.

Btw... I agree with you about Echoes 🤫 I don't take pleasure in saying so, but it's one of my least favorite Metroid games. I just don't talk about it much, because I'd rather blabber about the ones I like instead, and also because I've only played through it once, and I think my impression of it might improve upon an eventual replay. I still love Sanctuary Fortress, I think it's the peak of the whole Prime series. Phenomenal way to end the game. I just can't vibe with the light and dark world mechanic, I find it more tedious than fun. Agon Wastes is also a rather dull early game area, but I digress.

Hopefully everyone in this thread always feels free to express their Metroid opinions, no matter how positive or negative! The only takes explicitly forbidden are ones praising Other M or Soshi Abe 🙂 I'm joking of course, you're allowed to like Other M!

You've been pretty active across Fami's Metroid threads lately! I've enjoyed reading your posts and chatting 😄 At one point, I thought you were a newer member, but then I realized your account is actually a day older than mine 😱 It's been cool seeing you around! I love the community we've got going here. Whenever life gets me down, I know I can chill in this thread with you fine folks, praising Fusion and Corruption, or punching my plushie of the Metroid Dread OST in its face in order to relieve stress.

Btw... I agree with you about Echoes 🤫 I don't take pleasure in saying so, but it's one of my least favorite Metroid games. I just don't talk about it much, because I'd rather blabber about the ones I like instead, and also because I've only played through it once, and I think my impression of it might improve upon an eventual replay. I still love Sanctuary Fortress, I think it's the peak of the whole Prime series. Phenomenal way to end the game. I just can't vibe with the light and dark world mechanic, I find it more tedious than fun. Agon Wastes is also a rather dull early game area, but I digress.

Hopefully everyone in this thread always feels free to express their Metroid opinions, no matter how positive or negative! The only takes explicitly forbidden are ones praising Other M or Soshi Abe 🙂 I'm joking of course, you're allowed to like Other M!
Yeah, I also avoid talking about Dread too much because people love it so I just let them be... I just hope the next one panders a little bit more to my tastes. :p

And yeah, I've been posting more in the recent weeks because I need to talk about Nintendo games somewhere! Where can I read about how Fusion is Actually GoodTM other than on a dedicated Nintendo forum? Hahahah

It has been cool having you in the community! Always great to see another awesome commenter. Hopefully you can excuse those of us who like Dread and Prime 2 😂
It's weird that the horror guy and Metroid guy wouldn't like Prime 2 Echoes of an Elusive Wisdom ...... smh ......

Dread is fun and I had a good time! Usual criticisms of it I disagree with (like EMMI), it's just that the exploration part was lacking imo. But I see it as a process (omg sorry!). They can improve it in a next title, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom