• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Praise The Process

Metroid Prime 4 in the June 2024 Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I skimmed through the article because my attention span is shot tonight and I generally just don't care for those sorts of "old thing good new thing bad" op-eds, but from what I picked up, I probably don't disagree with most of the points presented... I just also don't think they're the kind of severe marks against the game that the writer feels they are. Dread's not my favorite, and doesn't necessarily align with what I value most in a Metroid game, but I still appreciate it for what it is. shrug

On a personal note, I regret to inform the Metroid thread that I am enjoying Elden Ring. I know this will upset two crowds, the people who I've shit talked From Software with, and those who loved From Software but consider the game mid. I personally am planning to take a few days break from the Metroid thread, hopefully I come back hating the game so that I can fit in. If I may never come back, then so be it. Bye for now 👋

On a personal note, I regret to inform the Metroid thread that I am enjoying Elden Ring. I know this will upset two crowds, the people who I've shit talked From Software with, and those who loved From Software but consider the game mid. I personally am planning to take a few days break from the Metroid thread, hopefully I come back hating the game so that I can fit in. If I may never come back, then so be it. Bye for now 👋
1xmyuyjvfip81.png

kayin.moe - Metroid: Dread - How Metroid Lost its Way

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted here before, Michael "Kayin" O’Reilly (creator of I Wanna be the Guy) wrote a very fine and potentially controversial piece harshly critiquing Metroid Dread. I don't agree with all their stances, but the core statement really nails down a feeling I've had bubbling around ever since finishing the game, of how Dread is far too much of a well-oiled machine for its own good, that it refuses to ever fully hand the wheel over to the player and encourage exploration, or even slowing down a bit to take in the world and let it stew with you.
This goes too far for me (I think the combat is excellent) but he does have some points about the exploration. I really like Mark Brown’s video about the level design which goes into some of that - it’s much less critical but does talk about some of the potential issues with how the game is mapped out:

Inspired by this thread, I'm doing my first Metroid Prime 3 playthrough...! Using mouse and keyboard through Primehack. 2 hours in, and so far I'm kinda adoring it. It controls like a dream like this (M&KB options for MP4 pls!) and game feel is great.

Pacing so far has been breakneck in a great way, and despite the narrative being a bit cheesy it's done reasonably well.

It feels a bit like "my first Metroid" with how segmented the map has been so far, but I don't have a problem with that personally.

I hope MP4 introduces movement upgrades and overhauls combat. Walking slowly and torturing the pew pew button in combat isn't the best.

Finally, if they wanted to do a conservative remaster, just doing a lighting pass would go a long long way. It's already shockingly detailed as is, and even texture work isn't too bad considering it's age!
Raven Beak is only good because the rest of the game's bosses are bad, and that the author was "gaslit"
Welp that means I'm made out of gas powered lamps because, despite hating boss fights with every fibre of my being (3D Mario bosses, Zelda bosses, TROPICAL FREEZE BOSSES, and Metroid Prime bosses), Dreads bosses are tasty and Raven Beak isn't even my favourite.

What's your favorite Metroid game, folks? Out of both series. Can include spinoffs too, why not?

Mine has got to be Prime 1, with Super as a close second.
Return of Samus and Echoes trade places often, so I'll just count them both, one for 2D and one for 3D. Interesting that the both of them are the second entries, lol.

And for spinoffs, I guess my favorite is kinda Hunters? But more for the ideas it has than how it actually is as a game. Would love to see it remade with the campaign given a total overhaul.

What's your favorite Metroid game, folks? Out of both series. Can include spinoffs too, why not?

Out of the ones I've completed, Prime 1 for 3D and Dread for 2D.

I just couldn't jive with the way Super controlled, even if the surrounding parts are excellent.

Last edited:
Out of the ones I've completed, Prime 1 for 3D and Dread for 2D.

I just couldn't jive with the way Super controlled, even if it's surrounding parts are excellent.
Super was my first Metroid game so I just got used to what I had. Admittedly, if I had played any of the GBA games first, I'd have had problems with how it controlled.

Edit: I believe there are ROM hacks that use the GBA's control scheme for SM... I should try that when I replay it.

just finished Zero Mission.

Shit rocks, I’m also surprised that the GBA version has the original Metroid included, I wish more games did that, especially Mario Vs DK.

I genuinely think Zero Mission is the best remake of all time

It's always nice to get a remake that's actually functionally an all new game instead of just the same old but with a new coat of paint with a few new features, which is how a lot of Nintendo remakes/remasters are these days.

Sheeeeeeeet, of all places I was hoping to get my Skyward Sword kick out of, Metroid Prime 3 was not one I was expecting xD . Just arrived at Elysia after a delightful romp through Bryyo. It's all so compact and crunchy, and that rusty ancient tech-look with synthy choir music reminds me of Lanayru.

I LOVE IT.

I should definitely replay Dread. I only ever played it once when it came out. I loved it, but I never really thought much about replaying Metroid games at the time. After revisiting Zero Mission, however, I see that you can chase different goals through multiple playthroughs.

Also, after finishing Prime 2 on the Trilogy version, I didn't realize there were so many unlockable extra things, like concept art and promotional materials. I spent like 30 minutes looking through those things lol.

well, the nicest way I can put it is that the 30 year old iconic classic, Super Metroid, is available on the Nintendo Switch family of systems with a Nintendo Switch Online subscription through the Super Nintendo Entertainment System app. Perhaps that's the only Metroid experience some should have, as it's clearly the one they want each subsequent entry to mimic.
Some "Metroid" fans are really just "Super Metroid" fans. And if they're in a good mood, Prime 1 and Zero Mission are fine as well.

On the subject of Metroid soundtrack, having just played Zero Mission I'll say Kraid's theme is a banger but if you stay long enough in the Lair it will inevitably start to get grating. More melodic themes will start to do that after a while, while a more atmospheric piece, while less memorable when you listen to it separately, compliments the game better.

Here's a question. How would you rank the different areas of the Prime trilogy thus far? (Leaving out the 2D games since Super and the remakes kinda confuse things with multiple wildly different versions of the same area)

Mine looks like this:
1. Temple Grounds Canyons
2. Phendrana Drifts Depths
3. Skytown Towers
4. Sanctuary Fortress Central Wing
5. Tallon Overworld Grove
6. Torvus Bog Surface
7. GFS Valhalla
8. Phaaze
9. Phazon Mines Layer 3
10. Sanctuary Fortress West Wing
11. Great Temple
12. Phendrana Drifts Valley
13. Urtraghus Research
14. Chozo Ruins Gardens
15. Skytown Facility
16. Tallon Overworld Rainforest
17. Bryyo Ice
18. Tallon Overworld Artifact Temple
19. Crashed Frigate Orpheon
20. Urtraghus Command
21. Agon Wastes Pirate Base
22. Bryyo Cliffs
23. Chozo Ruins Temple
24. Phendrana Drifts Temple
25. Torvus Bog Depths
26. Chozo Ruins Plaza
27. Agon Wastes Dustbowl
28. Bryyo Encampment
29. Phendrana Drifts Labs
30. Phazon Mines Layers 1 & 2
31. Norion
32. Urtraghus Mines
33. Impact Crater
34. Desolate Frigate Orpheon
35. Magmoor Caverns
36. Temple Grounds Splinter Tunnels
37. Bryyo Fire
38. GFS Olympus
39. Sanctuary Fortress East Wing
40. Urtraghus Blockade Run

I do wonder if some of the Prime 3 areas might shift around after a replay, because there are a couple like the Pirate Homeworld mines and the Bryyo shield generator encampment I barely even remember, and I only played the game once compared to a few goes each through the first two. But still, at least at present this is how I'd put them.

Some "Metroid" fans are really just "Super Metroid" fans. And if they're in a good mood, Prime 1 and Zero Mission are fine as well.
Nintendo fans when i mention theirs different Metroid game to play, instead of Super or Prime...

yakuza-kazuma-kiryu.gif

It absolutely pains me how Metroid and Nintendo fans don't play Metroid games.

Last edited:
Here's a question. How would you rank the different areas of the Prime trilogy thus far? (Leaving out the 2D games since Super and the remakes kinda confuse things with multiple wildly different versions of the same area)

Mine looks like this:
1. Temple Grounds Canyons
2. Phendrana Drifts Depths
3. Skytown Towers
4. Sanctuary Fortress Central Wing
5. Tallon Overworld Grove
6. Torvus Bog Surface
7. GFS Valhalla
8. Phaaze
9. Phazon Mines Layer 3
10. Sanctuary Fortress West Wing
11. Great Temple
12. Phendrana Drifts Valley
13. Urtraghus Research
14. Chozo Ruins Gardens
15. Skytown Facility
16. Tallon Overworld Rainforest
17. Bryyo Ice
18. Tallon Overworld Artifact Temple
19. Crashed Frigate Orpheon
20. Urtraghus Command
21. Agon Wastes Pirate Base
22. Bryyo Cliffs
23. Chozo Ruins Temple
24. Phendrana Drifts Temple
25. Torvus Bog Depths
26. Chozo Ruins Plaza
27. Agon Wastes Dustbowl
28. Bryyo Encampment
29. Phendrana Drifts Labs
30. Phazon Mines Layers 1 & 2
31. Norion
32. Urtraghus Mines
33. Impact Crater
34. Desolate Frigate Orpheon
35. Magmoor Caverns
36. Temple Grounds Splinter Tunnels
37. Bryyo Fire
38. GFS Olympus
39. Sanctuary Fortress East Wing
40. Urtraghus Blockade Run

I do wonder if some of the Prime 3 areas might shift around after a replay, because there are a couple like the Pirate Homeworld mines and the Bryyo shield generator encampment I barely even remember, and I only played the game once compared to a few goes each through the first two. But still, at least at present this is how I'd put them.

I wont go into nearly that detail, but mine would probably be:

1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Skytown, Elysia
3. Tallon Overworld (includes the sunken frigate)
4. Phendrana Drifts
5. Torvus Bog
6. Phazon Mines
7. Pirate Homeworld
8. Bryyo
9. Chozo Ruins
10. Agon Wastes
11. Phaaze
12. Norion
13. GFS Olympus
14. GFS Valhalla
15. Frigate Orpheon
16. Temple Grounds
17. Magmoor Caverns
18. Impact Crater

Just defeated Barnie in Zero Mission. It's as good as everyone says the game was. I had this on Wii U but never got around to starting it so I'm glad it's on NSO. My only real gripe is with the grapping at times. As with many games, it sometimes feels like Samus doesn't grab onto a ledge when she should. There was one spot where you need to need to keep jumping ledge to ledge in these tiny breaks in the wall but I kept accidentally rolling into a ball. So that was pretty irritating but other than, it's been smooth sailing.

I wont go into nearly that detail, but mine would probably be:

1. Sanctuary Fortress
2. Skytown, Elysia
3. Tallon Overworld (includes the sunken frigate)
4. Phendrana Drifts
5. Torvus Bog
6. Phazon Mines
7. Pirate Homeworld
8. Bryyo
9. Chozo Ruins
10. Agon Wastes
11. Phaaze
12. Norion
13. GFS Olympus
14. GFS Valhalla
15. Frigate Orpheon
16. Temple Grounds
17. Magmoor Caverns
18. Impact Crater
I'll just do my Top 5:

1) Phendrana Drifts
2) Skytown, Elysia
3) Sanctuary Fortress
4) Chozo Ruins
5) Torvus Bog

Each Prime game has one big standout favorite area for me along with 1-2 more I really like as well (Bryyo is probably #6)

@Hailinel, you've gotta admit: Trusting The Process has proven highly fruitful for Metroid fans. Dread was great, Prime Remastered was easily among the best remaster efforts ever (priced at an affordable $40, to boot!), and we've now at last seen Prime 4, which looks excellent. Dread brought an end to a 19 year wait, and Beyond is set to release at 17 years since Corruption. We've had a bunch of people playing Zero Mission through NSO, and they've conveniently got Super, Fusion, and the other 2D games also playable on Switch. As if that wasn't enough, there's still a chance we get remasters of Echoes and Corruption too.

It's a new age of abundance! The Process is prosperous. I don't know about the 76ers, but us? We're doing awesome, the Switch era's been nothing but kind to Metroid fans. I'm extending an olive branch and asking you to #TTP with me. Are you ready and willing to take that step, my good bloke?

When Metroid Prime 4 comes out I'm going to ask the world's dumbest but actually smartest question: Gamecube/GBA era vs Switch era. It might sound stupid at first: 4 great games vs 2 great games and a remaster, but maybe quality over quantity would somehow win out.

When Metroid Prime 4 comes out I'm going to ask the world's dumbest but actually smartest question: Gamecube/GBA era vs Switch era. It might sound stupid at first: 4 great games vs 2 great games and a remaster, but maybe quality over quantity would somehow win out.
Nah. Metroid Prime 1-3 are top tier games for me. Metroid Prime 4 can be amazing, but it’s still one game vs 3 amazing prime games

Even if Prime 4 is GOAT tier, two new GOAT games and a remaster ain't beating four GOATS.

I really hope the CE for prime 4 isn't a pain in the ass to get like XC3's

I doubt anything will match metroid's run from 2002-2009, games take too long to make now. As it stands I prefer ZM to dread as well plus prime 4 is up in the air

Beat Zero Mission for the first time. Really good game, nothing ground breaking but was pure Metroid comfort food. Epilogue felt like the prototype of the ideas they had for the EMMIs. It also made me realize 2D Metroid hasn't really had a heavy focus on exploration since Super Metroid. Dread was more of an action game, but it honestly doesn't feel THAT much more guided or linear than Zero, Fusion, and Other M.
Started replaying Super, and even that takes some time to open up.

Main series ranking:
1. Dread
2. Super Metroid
3. Samus Returns
4. Zero Mission
5. Fusion
6. Other M

Started thinking that it would be interesting to see Mercury try to do an exploration based Metroid for the next game though- expand on the world size, open up the level design, do optional areas/bosses, etc.
But I also wouldn't mind something as tight as Dread- after it and Samus Returns I trust whatever they do.

Last edited:
I missed that part. Regardless, Prime 1 and 2 are top tier, and Prime 4 and a remaster isn’t surpassing those two.
I was talking about Dread and Prime 4 and Prime R, not just the Prime games. Seems you missed the entire point of my comment 😅

Also I guess Samus Returns would be in there as well since it did release during the Switch era .... but ain't no way it's beating a lineup with ZM lol. I know that no matter what the lineup would be hard to beat, that was kinda why I said it was the dumbest question but it could still be interesting if the quality was really there.

Beat Zero Mission for the first time. Really good game, nothing ground breaking but was pure Metroid comfort food. Epilogue felt like the prototype of the ideas they had for the EMMIs. It also made me realize 2D Metroid hasn't really had a heavy focus on exploration since Super Metroid. Dread was more of an action game, but it honestly doesn't feel THAT much more guided or linear than Zero, Fusion, and Other M.
Started replaying Super, and even that takes some time to open up.

Main series ranking:
1. Dread
2. Super Metroid
3. Samus Returns
4. Zero Mission
5. Fusion
6. Other M

Started thinking that it would be interesting to see Mercury try to do an exploration based Metroid for the next game though- expand on the world size, open up the level design, do optional areas/bosses, etc.
But I also wouldn't mind something as tight as Dread- after it and Samus Returns I trust whatever they do.

Mine would go:

1. Fusion
2. Return of Samus
3. Dread
4. Super
5. Samus Returns
6. Metroid
7. Other M
8. Zero Mission

I have an immense amount of respect for Zero Mission and how it introduced so many people to this wonderful franchise. For me though, it's Metroid at it's most basic and vanilla though. But still, I quite like it, aside from the Zero Suit segment.

Out of the linear ones, Dread is the best.

Dread > Fusion > Other M.

Super Metroid is best out of the non-linear ones.

Super Metroid > Metroid

I guess that's how I see it. Super Metroid is better than Dread for being non-linear and all the atmosphere and stuff. It's the definitive game in the franchise but Dread isn't like so far behind and it's also sort of its own thing.

I've been thinking about this lately, and I'd like to give my full ranking of the series! (When there's a remake of a game, I'll include that instead of the original):

10.) Other M
Doesn't feel like Metroid whatsoever to me. Some of it is enjoyable, but doesn't redeem the rest of it.

9.) Prime: Hunters
Never played it, but has to be better than Other M at the very least :)

8.) Samus Returns
I actually like this one a lot, but IMO it takes the weakest aspects of Metroid II (the linearity & confusing level design) without implementing what made the original game so unique (its atmosphere & dreary visuals)

7.) Zero Mission
Just a really solid game, and still the most replayable Metroid. It feels like a perfect adaptation of the original, but expands it even further with 'post-game' content.

6.) Prime 3: Corruption
The sense of scale and sheer epicness of the grand story really makes this game. Love all the different planets and environments. I even like the way the Galactic Federation is included in the story. Metroid to me though is about isolation and immersion, and so this game never reeled me in as deeply as the others.

5.) Fusion
The most linear Metroid to date, and also includes an AI talking to you for much of the game. This feels like intentional game design though as everything culminates into this interesting government conspiracy plot. The ending of this game is great and really sets up the future of the series.

4.) Dread
A super satisfying blend of gameplay, art direction, sound design, and plot that culminates in the best final boss and ending of any Metroid (although Super does come close). I also personally love the E.M.M.I.s.
Ironically though, this one has my least favorite world or even level design. Hoping Mercury Steam can deliver something that feels less cramped in the next entry.

3.) Prime
There's not much I can say about this one. Retro Studios proved themselves in being able to adapt the 2D formula of the series and expand it with a first person perspective. Being able to scan things is genius, and has me to wanting that same mechanic in every other game I play.

2.) Super Metroid
IMO there's never been another game like Super Metroid. The atmosphere is unparalleled and makes this game still so unique compared to every other Metroid. It also just has all the makings of a classic (iconic world design and areas, memorable boss battles, simple yet moving story). I genuinely think it's a perfect game, and can only be made to be better if it controlled easier. Even then some people prefer Samus' floatiness.

1.) Prime 2: Echoes
I'll admit I can see why many would dislike this game, or see it as frustrating. The reason this is my favorite Metroid game though is because I play Metroid for atmosphere, and immersion. Playing through a dying world adds a lot of intrigue to everything you explore, and each area feels like a legitimate ecosystem:

Agon Wastes feels like the sea floor of a barren ocean, with sand constantly flowing down and filling in the holes. Torvus Bog was once a forest that was destroyed by flooding, but the large amount of water now feeds entirely new plant life. And of course Sanctuary Fortress is just mind boggling with all of its visual details and moving parts: it feels like a living machine.

Also I legitimately love the dark world. Is it annoying to travel through? Yes, but it's also just so grim, and is a reminder of what Aether is destined to become if you don't intervene. The fact that just existing in the dark world kills you is also quite intimidating.

Honestly I could go on forever about MP2 so I'll just stop here 😅

It's hard for me to tell what exactly my ranking is because my opinions have changed so much over time but right now it's:
1. Super Metroid
2. Metroid Dread
3. Metroid Prime
4. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
5. Metroid Fusion
6. Metroid Zero Mission
7. Samus Returns

Honestly though I could see Metroid Dread and Prime 2 Echoes becoming the new top two. Playing Prime 2 for the first time last year was insanely good and it's only because of a few annoying moments that it isn't ranked higher, replaying Dread last year was phenomenal and aside from reused bosses and the last third feeling a little rushed I thought the game was astounding, while Prime is great it did get a little bit worse on a replay, and Super is not something I could whip out at any moment, so I could see those two taking the top two whenever I replay them. Zero Mission unfortunately suffers a lot as a game to contemplate on because it doesn't really have any specific vibe other than being kind of epic and heroic compared to the rest of the series, so even though I remember loving it I don't think it's that interesting to think on. It's also the one I played the least recently in all fairness. Fusion is seriously amazing. Every game above Samus Returns I consider to be one of the greatest games of all time.

Back
Top Bottom