• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

On today's Game Mess Morning (timestamp) going over the Nintendo Direct, Jeff Grubb said that he heard about the Epic Mickey remake earlier and the same source told him that Metroid Prime 4 would be getting a CGI trailer sometime this Summer. Thought that was interesting, I'm starting to think this game is going to really be the last push for the Switch and not cross-gen.

CGI is weird.
Maybe they will announce it with a CGI trailer and date as a Switch game and later unveil it as crossgen with Switch 2 gameplay.

It's probably worth mentioning that I'm sure whatever Grubb heard came much before the reports of the Switch 2 getting delayed, so if MP4 is in fact being set up as a cross-gen title with a big push on Switch 2 then those plans may have been pushed back as well.

I want Metroid Prime 4 to release this year just to give it a shot at winning GotY.

It will not beat 3D Mario or GTA6.

You never know. Not many expected God of War to beat RDR2, nor a complete no name game like It Takes Two to beat established franchises like Metroid and Ratchet & Clank.

Yeah but it's Retro. Litterally the only dev in this industry that hasn't missed in 20 years.

I know this is kind of a ridiculous statement, but in a way I admire them that they'd rather not release a game in a decade rather than put out something that isn't GOAT tier.

If I was nintendo and metroid prime 4 is completed I would just go full in with the marketing of the game, give it the botw threatment and see if the game sticks. It doesn't look like we're going to get a big year for nintendo with the switch delay so just push metroid prime 4 as hard as you can, multiple treehouse segments in june and see how it goes.

Is there still any hope left for Prime 2/3? I’ve all but given up on them, especially since apparently no insiders have given any updates in the last several months about them unless I missed something (last thing I remember was Grubb claiming Prime 2 was coming “soon-ish” last summer).

Is there still any hope left for Prime 2/3? I’ve all but given up on them, especially since apparently no insiders have given any updates in the last several months about them unless I missed something (last thing I remember was Grubb claiming Prime 2 was coming “soon-ish” last summer).
Unless 2 surprise drops in the next few months, I reckon they'll hold on to them for years that don't have a new Metroid. They've already given people a chance to familiarise themselves with the Prime format with MPR and aside from a 100% completion post credit scene in 3 (assuming Sylux is the focus of 4), the rest of the trilogy has no bearing on the story (we assume).

If I was nintendo and metroid prime 4 is completed I would just go full in with the marketing of the game, give it the botw threatment and see if the game sticks. It doesn't look like we're going to get a big year for nintendo with the switch delay so just push metroid prime 4 as hard as you can, multiple treehouse segments in june and see how it goes.

I want them to do this but at the same time it's going to be BRUTAL for me on a personal level, wanting to go in as blind as possible.

Unless 2 surprise drops in the next few months, I reckon they'll hold on to them for years that don't have a new Metroid. They've already given people a chance to familiarise themselves with the Prime format with MPR and aside from a 100% completion post credit scene in 3 (assuming Sylux is the focus of 4), the rest of the trilogy has no bearing on the story (we assume).
I mean, on your last point, you could argue that Nintendo had already given people a chance to familiarize themselves with Pikmin by releasing Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but they still decided to release Pikmin 1+2 right before Pikmin 4.

I mean, on your last point, you could argue that Nintendo had already given people a chance to familiarize themselves with Pikmin by releasing Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but they still decided to release Pikmin 1+2 right before Pikmin 4.
I feel it's hard to judge their motivations for re-releases (other than money). Maybe because 3 was a port not a remaster it didn't set the same precedent as MPR or the devs just weren't interested in painstakingly retexturing 1+2.
I guess we'll find out one way or another if they do release them.

I wonder if it would be worth doing an avatar bet (or at least a poll thread with no stakes) over whether Prime 4 is Switch-exclusive or crossgen.

Last edited:
This is a bit strange to me, as it's usually said that constraints and limits boost creativity. I think that more powerful hardware actually does the opposite: You only need to look at the flagship titles of the big studios and they're almost exclusively 3rd person action games made with a mold. On the other hand look at what Nintendo has been doing in their more limited hardware since forever: You can see stuff ranging from Mario Galaxy to the crazyness that TotK brought with Ultrahand and the god-tier physics engine running on a handheld, in a vast open world. We've seen nothing come close in PS5 or XBox. And if we look at indies, the most original and inventive games are at most graphically average (in terms of "power", but that's not the only way to make a good-looking game). Jumping from a Nintendo studio to another big company to make AAA that squeeze the last drop of power from the hardware is the worst thing you can do if you're looking to do more "creative" games, IMHO.
Third-person action games are among some of my favorites, so I can understand why someone might find them creatively fulfilling to work on. If we're going all the way back to the PS360 / Wii era (since you mentioned Super Mario Galaxy), we could just as easily name older games Sony threw their backing behind at the time that I wouldn't say fit into a "mold", like Demon's Souls. At that point, it'd just turn into a matter of listing out random games, though.

None of this is really relevant to Jack Mathews's feelings. He wasn't thinking about Super Mario Galaxy, or a Zelda game Nintendo wouldn't go on to make until many years later. He was thinking about Retro's future in particular, and it seems like he just didn't wanna work within the constraints of the GameCube / Wii anymore, after spending years making three Metroid Prime games on similar hardware.

Hey Grubb, is Prime 2R still coming?

I wish he’d acknowledge this again, even if just to say he hasn’t heard anything since last summer. The fact we haven’t had any insiders saying anything about Prime 2/3 for a long time now is concerning. I remember Nate on Twitter saying something like “there were plans” for 2 and 3, around when Prime 1 Remastered was revealed. But the further we go without updates… the more I feel convinced they’ve been scrapped.

If they wanted trailer assets in May, that heavily implies they were intending to re-reveal MP4 in the June Direct this year. Of course this was before the Switch 2 delay sent Nintendo's plans into chaos, so I imagine they either might merge it into the Switch 2 reveal or have it in another Direct afterwards. Honestly the more I think about it, the less likely 2024 feels.

If they wanted trailer assets in May, that heavily implies they were intending to re-reveal MP4 in the June Direct this year. Of course this was before the Switch 2 delay sent Nintendo's plans into chaos, so I imagine they either might merge it into the Switch 2 reveal or have it in another Direct afterwards. Honestly the more I think about it, the less likely 2024 feels.
That's assuming a cross-gen release is planned and that it's not just Switch 1 only.

Honestly, I just want some kind of confirmation one way or the other whether it's going to be cross-gen or not. I just want this uncertainty to be over.

We know how Nintendo Direct trailers usually go - especially for something big, they often will have a CGI portion that then transitions into gameplay - I suspect that the CG trailer and gameplay trailer are one thing - but as always with Nintendo having a CG/gameplay trailer done is no guarantee of it coming out

however, i have always stood by that MP4 would be Nintendo's Last Of Us Part 2 and release before the Switch 2 comes out - the fact Endless Ocean is coming in May (I know Partner Direct and all but they still would have dated it for later in the year if they had nothing else) tells me they probably have other first party stuff for the year still so to me, this makes a ton of sense, and Prime 4 was never going to be a Switch 2 game.

Last edited:
If Nintendo is so far behind on prepared Switch 2 software, they'd be braindead to consider focusing Metroid Prime 4 as a Switch 1 game fully instead of cross-plat with heavy marketing on Switch 2's version ala BotW. That's a big 1st party game for the hard-core crowd and you're short stocked on 1st party software to the point of needing to delay the release. Just delay the game, don't waste the game's momentum and brand energy on old hardware, it makes no sense

If Nintendo is so far behind on prepared Switch 2 software, they'd be braindead to consider focusing Metroid Prime 4 as a Switch 1 game fully instead of cross-plat with heavy marketing on Switch 2's version ala BotW. That's a big 1st party game for the hard-core crowd and you're short stocked on 1st party software to the point of needing to delay the release. Just delay the game, don't waste the game's momentum and brand energy on old hardware, it makes no sense
I propose that the game would have more momentum if released on the soon-to-be best selling console of all time around the same time of the year Metroid Dread became the best selling game in the series on the same console.

Luckily when Switch 2 launches, it will still be playable (with a likely performance boost) assuming backwards compatibility 🧘

They're not short stocked on software in general, they're short stocked on system selling titles. Metroid isn't that.

Last edited:
in the comments someone asked

His response was

Thank you for sharing this. Let’s hope it stays alive and we get it in a supposed April Direct. If not the next / last Switch-focused Direct, I’m guessing the dream is dead. Seems weird to me to release Prime 2/3 after 4. Also interesting though that Grubb has only been talking about 2…

I propose that the game would have more momentum if released on the soon-to-be best selling console of all time around the same time of the year Metroid Dread became the best selling game in the series on the same console.

Luckily when Switch 2 launches, it will still be playable (with a likely performance boost) assuming backwards compatibility 🧘
They're not short stocked on software in general, they're short stocked on systems selling titles. Metroid isn't that.
It's not always about userbase, it's about active userbase and future momentum. Being possibly a 90+ metacritic, big budget 3D FPS at launch for Switch 2 would carry a lot of weight for consistent recommendations as more people pick up Switch 2s while also capitalizing on Switch 1's declining but large active userbase. Metroid Prime 4 will not sell more Switch 1s, but it can sell Switch 2s and push for higher console sales early in its lifespan, establish a hardcore audience early for 3rd parties AND get cross-plat sales with a modern "next gen Nintendo" market psychology. There's so many benefits that a cross-plat, next gen launch focus release will have for Nintendo going forward than servicing their dying old console nearly on its 8th year

Metroid Dread sold well partly because it was market-tied with a brand new console revision with the OLED, not simply because it was October. Now imagine that but for a whole new generation.

Metroid Prime 4 via BC or a launch port half a year later will not sell as well, that much is a simple reality

The person who raised the point on the podcast was Andy Robinson, who has been a really solid and reliable source on Nintendo stuff in the past, having worked around the industry as well as as a journalist for years.

It always seemed like something that would make sense, so it's neat to see some sort of source claiming it's actually the case. Good on Metroid for punching above it's weight. Again, just another complication in the idea that it's just simply not a major series.

I don’t think Metroid Prime 4 being a launch title on Switch 2 alongside a new 3D Mario is good for Metroid. Most people would be picking up Mario over Metroid and I think it would actually hurt the game’s sales.

Much like I thought the Switch 2 would be a 2025 console before the delay was rumored, I don't think Metroid Prime 4 will be cross-gen. Especially if the Switch 2 is backwards compatible. There's no need for a separate sku in that scenario.

Well I guess Prime 4 may be an October or November Holiday title along side Pokémon. I still hope for a substantial patch or updated version or something Switch 2 at launch.

I sense a certain hope from the posters in this thread, a hope I've not sensed since ...

Wonder what the reaction will be when we happen to get some random third-person 3D Metroid before Prime 4 bothers to show a concept image.

It's not always about userbase, it's about active userbase and future momentum. Being possibly a 90+ metacritic, big budget 3D FPS at launch for Switch 2 would carry a lot of weight for consistent recommendations as more people pick up Switch 2s while also capitalizing on Switch 1's declining but large active userbase. Metroid Prime 4 will not sell more Switch 1s, but it can sell Switch 2s and push for higher console sales early in its lifespan, establish a hardcore audience early for 3rd parties AND get cross-plat sales with a modern "next gen Nintendo" market psychology. There's so many benefits that a cross-plat, next gen launch focus release will have for Nintendo going forward than servicing their dying old console nearly on its 8th year

Metroid Dread sold well partly because it was market-tied with a brand new console revision with the OLED, not simply because it was October. Now imagine that but for a whole new generation.

Metroid Prime 4 via BC or a launch port half a year later will not sell as well, that much is a simple reality
The audience Metroid Prime can reach on the Nintendo Switch is much more valuable than the extra sales that you'd get for a Metroid Prime 2 that launches same day for the Switch 2 alongside many other games including likely a 3D Mario.

Remember Metroid Prime 4 is a Switch game. If anything Nintendo banking on an enhanced port being the big technical showpiece for the Switch 2, that is misguided and doomed to fail.

However it would be a great showpiece for how the Switch 2 can make Switch games look even better. To do that having the Switch 2 upgrade release months later, once it's already established to be a good looking game on 10 year old hard ware in it's own right, is actually advantageous.

I'm struggling to find a way to word it without seeming dismissive, but you have your priorities completely mixed up.

That's not the reality in 2024. Companies do that all the time. The last of us part 2 as a particularly big example.

If anything, the front loadedness of a title like the Metroid prime series means getting it in front of a big audience is paramount to start with over hoping it pushes a few extra systems and has good legs, when none of the metroid series has ever had good legs.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this. Let’s hope it stays alive and we get it in a supposed April Direct. If not the next / last Switch-focused Direct, I’m guessing the dream is dead. Seems weird to me to release Prime 2/3 after 4. Also interesting though that Grubb has only been talking about 2…
Prime 2 can be done in Pikmin kind of way( but I expect more)

Prime 3 to me is years away with Skyward Sword HD like port with allthe budget spent on controls

if his sources heard about Prime 4 for fall in 2023 that indicates more to me it's cross-gen and not coming this year, because by all accounts the Switch 2 2025 date was a relatively recent decision, that and the switch 2 should be announced by then and anything that isn't like a small game or Mario or pokemon game releasing after the reveal but before the release date might as well be put behind the barn and shot in the head in terms of gimping game sales.

Prime 2 can be done in Pikmin kind of way( but I expect more)

Prime 3 to me is years away with Skyward Sword HD like port with allthe budget spent on controls
This is a reasonable take, imho.

Prime 2 doesn't need a lot of tuning besides the obligatory twin stick controls and some prettying up, Prime 3 went all-in on the Wii stuff, so they'd probably need more adjustments 🤔

That's assuming a cross-gen release is planned and that it's not just Switch 1 only.

Honestly, I just want some kind of confirmation one way or the other whether it's going to be cross-gen or not. I just want this uncertainty to be over.

Exactly.

There's no indication that there will be a cross-gen for Metroid Prime 4. Insiders/journalists have only heard about the Switch 1 version, for the moment.

Exactly.

There's no indication that there will be a cross-gen for Metroid Prime 4. Insiders/journalists have only heard about the Switch 1 version, for the moment.
The thing is that nobody has heard anything about Switch 2 versions of games or new Switch 2 games, so that means nothing.

I'm struggling to find a way to word it without seeming dismissive, but you have your priorities completely mixed up.
no no, it's incredibly dismissive since he makes a great point about how Prime 4 will not in fact push switch 1 sales during the fall, actually betting it'll do worse than Dread in sales too

Back
Top Bottom