• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

The reason I'm sceptical of these rumours is the timings don't add up. Nintendo pushing to release it this year solely on Switch 1 would have meant, if the plan was to release Switch 2 between September - November, the latest they realistically could have released the game without it getting swept up in Switch 2 marketing would have been July. And if Nintendo's initial plan all along was to make it a summer game like TTYD remastered, then surely they'd have revealed it by now?

Prime 4 has been a huge investment from Nintendo, with two different teams and 7 odd years of development costs. They're going to want to make their money back, and the best way to do so is get it on the new console and aim for those BOTW-esque evergreen sales. As I've said before, chucking it out at the end of the Switch 1's life doesn't really do anyone any favours. It doesn't push consoles, it won't sell more than 2-3 million, it doesn't grow the Metroid brand, and you're taking away an anticipated release from the new console's launch lineup. And if rumours are to be believed, a lack of launch games is the reason Switch 2 got delayed to 2025, making a decision to release Prime 4 this year even more confusing.

I have no doubt the original plan was to launch it this year, but logically speaking if Switch 2 has been delayed, then you have to imagine Prime 4 has been too.

The reason I'm sceptical of these rumours is the timings don't add up. Nintendo pushing to release it this year solely on Switch 1 would have meant, if the plan was to release Switch 2 between September - November, the latest they realistically could have released the game without it getting swept up in Switch 2 marketing would have been July. And if Nintendo's initial plan all along was to make it a summer game like TTYD remastered, then surely they'd have revealed it by now?

Prime 4 has been a huge investment from Nintendo, with two different teams and 7 odd years of development costs. They're going to want to make their money back, and the best way to do so is get it on the new console and aim for those BOTW-esque evergreen sales. As I've said before, chucking it out at the end of the Switch 1's life doesn't really do anyone any favours. It doesn't push consoles, it won't sell more than 2-3 million, it doesn't grow the Metroid brand, and you're taking away an anticipated release from the new console's launch lineup. And if rumours are to be believed, a lack of launch games is the reason Switch 2 got delayed to 2025, making a decision to release Prime 4 this year even more confusing.

I have no doubt the original plan was to launch it this year, but logically speaking if Switch 2 has been delayed, then you have to imagine Prime 4 has been too.
Releasing Prime 4 in the fall during the Switch 2 marketing/hype cycle would be the third biggest fumble Nintendo has ever done with the franchise

Outside of enthusiast forums/gaming YouTube etc the 2witch is a relative non entity so the vast majority of software sales will be to folks who don't have 2witch in their minds (even post reveal). Sure it's a franchise that leans hardcore so that proportion would be skewed slightly compared to say Animal Crossing, but the 2witch is no where near a big a deal as the 140 mil+ switch owners.
Also if we do get physical back compat then "cross-gen" is redundant, two sku's are a waste of money when they can just drop an update.

Didn't hurt TLOU2 or Tsushima's sales.
i feel like we as a forum are smarter than this, do I really need to explain why a sequel to the most loved and best-selling PlayStation games ever and a AAA open world game from a loved developer is different from a Metroid side series?

Outside of enthusiast forums/gaming YouTube etc the 2witch is a relative non entity so the vast majority of software sales will be to folks who don't have 2witch in their minds (even post reveal). Sure it's a franchise that leans hardcore so that proportion would be skewed slightly compared to say Animal Crossing, but the 2witch is no where near a big a deal as the 140 mil+ switch owners.
Also if we do get physical back compat then "cross-gen" is redundant, two sku's are a waste of money when they can just drop an update.
1. by fall the switch would be properly announced and well-known to the general public

2. 2 sku's would still sell better and as seen with the remasters and cross-gen games, a performance boost update at most would help sell a few tens of thousands of copies for Metroid

Alright, let's just break the bad news to all Metroid fans. Prime 4 could come out for the Switch 2, get 99 on Metacritic and win GoTY and it will still sell less than 5 million. This series does well enough for itself and that's okay. So just release Prime 4 this year on Switch and stop this delusional thinking that this is gonna be a 8-10 million seller.

1. by fall the switch would be properly announced and well-known to the general public

2. 2 sku's would still sell better and as seen with the remasters and cross-gen games, a performance boost update at most would help sell a few tens of thousands of copies for Metroid
1. You assume. Will Nintendo start their big marketing push for 2witch before the holidays ore leave it until after? There's a big difference between announcement/reports from games journalists and getting an ad on as many tv channels and websites as possible.

2. So then surely it's better to release Prime 4 for Switch this then drop a 2witch enhanced case during the launch window. Heck maybe get a few double dippers along the way.

This series does well enough for itself and that's okay.
no, it's not "ok" Why should Nintendo in its current state of growth give a shit about Metroid as a franchise if all it can sell is the bare minimum when that time and resources on existing IPs or new IP's would sell better. "well enough" is what killed the franchise for 6 years

no, it's not "ok" Why should Nintendo in its current state of growth give a shit about Metroid as a franchise if all it can sell is the bare minimum when that time and resources on existing IPs or new IP's would sell better. "well enough" is what killed the franchise for 6 years
A much maligned entry and no one willing to touch the series is what killed it for 6 years.

I think people arguing against Prime 4 being released this year based on Switch 2's original planned release are tripping over themselves just a tad in making sense of things. So what if Metroid Prime 4 would've released within close proximity of the Switch 2? This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo releases a major Metroid game on old hardware right around the release of new hardware. Samus Returns was subject to much the same dilemma. I don't think Nintendo actually care all that much whether or not Prime 4 would've been close to overlapping with Switch 2's release; historically the recent slate of Metroid games have traditionally been late summer/early fall games. Switch 2's console launch would've most likely been in November. If the original plan was for both of these to release in the same year, Prime 4 would almost certainly have been ahead of Switch 2, especially since the actual holiday game slot will most likely go to a new Pokémon game.

Didn't hurt TLOU2 or Tsushima's sales.

There’s countless ways these games, their audiences and the console they were on differ and why Metroid specifically might perform differently. For example TLOU2 on PS4 Pro was able to trade blows visually with plenty of PS5 content. This conversation, in every instance, has gone nowhere. I see two camps that are trying to will a release decision into existence, and neither are outright wrong in their views of patterns, sense making etc.

Truth is we can’t possibly know what Nintendo is planning here. It’s only safe to assume that it is a Switch game. Edit: It’s not even safe to assume it’s a 2024 game, or that it’s a Switch 2 game if it is 2025. I personally think it would be an incredible opportunity to promote Metroid as a year one title for a new generation - part of another lineup as strong as Switch’s 2017. If it’s just a Switch title, I’ll be disappointed in the decision, and just wait to play it via BC.

2. So then surely it's better to release Prime 4 for Switch this then drop a 2witch enhanced case during the launch window. Heck maybe get a few double dippers along the way.

That’s the thing, I’m not sure? Why plan for any game to be a Switch 2 launch title with that thinking. Just make everything cross-generation and release or re-release them whenever. There must be some value, to both the game and the console, for shifting the focus and marketing to be on the new generation when it’s this close to the line.

Last edited:
That’s the thing, I’m not sure? Why plan for any game to be a Switch 2 launch title with that thinking. Just make everything cross-generation and release or re-release them whenever. There must be some value, to both the game and the console, for shifting the focus and marketing to be on the new generation when it’s this close to the line.
I think the key there is marketing, Ninty could do two marketing pushes if they really want to make MP4 a big seller. Initial Switch release blowout and then as part of the "Now you're playing with Power" showing off 2witch enhanced games.
In the grand scheme of Switch players, people who watch directs/read gaming news are a frighteningly small fraction. It's the big marketing pushes that make the sales, just the initial announcing/revealing of a game or even revealing a console does not reach as many eyes as game enthusiasts think it does.
Like you said we don't know what Ninty is up to, at the end of the day they haven’t revealed anything about 2witch so it's impossible to say with certainty what the situation will be. As much as it would be nice to believe the reports, they could just as easily turn around and say "no ai upscaling and back compat" (the latter being a particularly dickish move).

What if Switch 2 was delayed because …Metroid Prime 4 isn’t quite ready.

It’s that important for launch y’all stop calling it niche its too much for me to handle :’(

It’s that important for launch y’all stop calling it niche its too much for me to handle :’(
I dont think any games other then Mario and Zelda can delay a console

Honestly as long Prime 4 is announced this year with a good trailer that confirm that is finally coming and his good, it does not metter if it is now or 2025

The real question is do N release Prime 2 instead in 2024?

Nintendo is more than willing to make new entries in series that sell equivalent to Metroid. Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Warioware, Bayonetta, Pikmin and Paper Mario all sell less than 5 million and yet Nintendo keeps making more of them. Nintendo isn't Sony, they know that having some quasi-niche series is good for business and that not everything needs to sell 10, 15 or 20 million. For fucks sake, they announced a new Endless Ocean. Sure they can use that investment on another franchise, but will that other franchise cater to the audience that maybe buys a console just for Metroid?

I guess if anything, the fact that it isn't being positioned as a cross-gen game means that Nintendo really must be that confident in Switch 2's launch lineup.

Switch is the 3rd best selling gaming hardware of all and sold almost 14 million units in the last 3 quarters. I know the gamer(tm) bubble has decided Switch is dead and everything must be saved for the successor or that the successor will be some magic cure-all for Switch 1 software, but expectations should be kept in check. You should really expect Prime 4 to be a Switch 1 game launching this year, and that there won't be a Switch 2 version/better performance on the successor. If we get a Switch 2 version or S1 games get a boost on S2 then it's gravy, but nobody should put their emotional eggs in those baskets.

Realistically, for a game that begun development early into the Switch's life and which would've been made before the devs even knew what kind of specs Switch 2 would have, what hope was there for Prime 4 to be the kind of cutting edge game that takes advantage of unreleased hardware? Nintendo's already taken a big hit on the budget simply for rebooting its dev and changing the studio, and while there is truth to the statement that games take so long to make now that any game entering development a year into a console's lifespan will end up having to target future hardware instead, this isn't going to be some modern AAA video game. It's going to be a Nintendo game, made for 2015 hardware.

When Prime 4 is revealed, I'm certain that fidelity-wise it's not going to be batting far above what we've already seen Retro do with Prime Remastered. That's fine though, because Prime Remastered already looked phenomenal and is among the best the Switch has to offer. Prime 4 will most likely have a similar look, just with new designs and updated game play, and it'll probably still look just as timeless, regardless of which platform it's on.

I think people arguing against Prime 4 being released this year based on Switch 2's original planned release are tripping over themselves just a tad in making sense of things. So what if Metroid Prime 4 would've released within close proximity of the Switch 2? This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo releases a major Metroid game on old hardware right around the release of new hardware. Samus Returns was subject to much the same dilemma. I don't think Nintendo actually care all that much whether or not Prime 4 would've been close to overlapping with Switch 2's release; historically the recent slate of Metroid games have traditionally been late summer/early fall games. Switch 2's console launch would've most likely been in November. If the original plan was for both of these to release in the same year, Prime 4 would almost certainly have been ahead of Switch 2, especially since the actual holiday game slot will most likely go to a new Pokémon game.
I don't think Samus Returns is a great argument for releasing a Metroid game in the shadow of the hype for a newer console.

It's not always about userbase, it's about active userbase and future momentum. Being possibly a 90+ metacritic, big budget 3D FPS at launch for Switch 2 would carry a lot of weight for consistent recommendations as more people pick up Switch 2s while also capitalizing on Switch 1's declining but large active userbase. Metroid Prime 4 will not sell more Switch 1s, but it can sell Switch 2s and push for higher console sales early in its lifespan, establish a hardcore audience early for 3rd parties AND get cross-plat sales with a modern "next gen Nintendo" market psychology. There's so many benefits that a cross-plat, next gen launch focus release will have for Nintendo going forward than servicing their dying old console nearly on its 8th year

Metroid Dread sold well partly because it was market-tied with a brand new console revision with the OLED, not simply because it was October. Now imagine that but for a whole new generation.

Metroid Prime 4 via BC or a launch port half a year later will not sell as well, that much is a simple reality
I think it’s better to have a Holiday game other than Pokémon than to hope people will buy a switch 2 for Metroid.

The same as Skyward Sword theyhhave to redo all the controls

Prime 3 has many bosses and minigames that rely on the Wii remote. The minigames are also just not fun in general even with the Wiimote and probably should be replaced with something else. Prime 3 also has completely busted combat balance to try to appeal to more casual gamers after Prime 2 and it makes the game way too easy.

Ah, well, yeah, I suppose there's always that.

But like @beaglor said, nothing that couldn't be easily adapted.

I don't think Samus Returns is a great argument for releasing a Metroid game in the shadow of the hype for a newer console.
Why not? Samus Returns released almost a full year into the Switch's life on vastly inferior hardware and was still a success.

Plus if you think Samus Returns' launch went poorly, all the more reason Nintendo shouldn't wait until the next console launches to release a Metroid game for the old hardware 🤔

I mean, yeah, all of the things in Prime 3 are absolutely fixable.

Prime 3 was just not a very successful game so I'm not sure how far they want to go.
They're not "fixable" while still being Prime 3. At its core Prime 3 is a tech demo for the Wii, the shooting gallery stuff is the point of the game.

Why not? Samus Returns released almost a full year into the Switch's life on vastly inferior hardware and was still a success.

Plus if you think Samus Returns' launch went poorly, all the more reason Nintendo shouldn't wait until the next console launches to release a Metroid game for the old hardware 🤔
Also, the Switch couldn't play 3DS games, while the Switch 2 can almost certainly play Switch games

Metroid Prime 4 has been developed and promised for Nintendo Switch. So, I sincerely hope Nintendo keeps its promise or I'll be disappointed.

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Metroid Prime 4 will be released at the end of the year.
Nowhere did I state that they should cancel the Switch 1 version and make it Switch 2 exclusive. It's 100% releasing on Switch 1. It simply should be held back for Switch 2's launch/launch window for this reason:

You seem to be confusing Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo has plenty of active franchises that only do what you're calling "well enough" to sell a few million units.

Metroid Prime 4 coming this holiday will be fine even with Switch 2 already announced. They gotta make the biggest deal out of it as possible. The marketing gotta be near BotW/Odyssey level

I just don’t see Prime 4 releasing this year if the rumors about not enough first party software at the Switch 2’s launch window for Q4 2024 are correct.

Could only see Prime 4 releasing to Switch only this year if Nintendo is desperate to have something besides remasters this year.

At this point it's really up in the air. I'll wait until the April Direct to see if it's gonna be this year or not.

By late 2021 it was aiming for a late 2023 release and back then Switch 2 was probably aiming for early 2024(that's if late 2024 wasn't the plan) so it'd be a always aiming to come very late in the gen, if not in the so called "twilight year".

I thought plans would've changed with the game probably having been delayed to internally to 2024 since it'd align with a cross gen release. But it might be better suited as a major holiday release for Switch than being held for like 6 months or more to be a launch window Switch 2 game. They can always also just release a Switch 2 sku or repackage as "playable on Switch 2" or make a deluxe version with a 10$ patch like TLOU II Remastered. For a front loaded franchise like Metroid having 2 releases might actually benefit its sales instead of betting on it becoming an evergreen just for being early in a console's life.

I'm expecting spring 2025 because I've been expecting the game earlier than most for awhile now and it never happens.

Could only see Prime 4 releasing to Switch only this year if Nintendo is desperate to have something besides remasters this year.
Yeah but by all accounts we should be seeing something Pokemon related this year, and historically that has always done a great job squeezing additional sales out of old hardware. If the Switch is to have one final unexpected Holiday season on the market, there are far worse options then having a new Pokemon game to sell. And that rumoured Fire Emblem remake might as well be an all new game tbh.

Nintendo have made a big deal out of Prime 4, which is why I just can't see them throwing it out as a Switch Swansong only to be forgotten about when the successor comes out. I mean we could be in a bonkers situation where Nintendo reveal Switch 2 before Prime 4 releases, and then everyone will be wondering just why Nintendo didn't hold on a few months more.

I know people throw around the 'Well it's Nintendo and they always make bonkers decisions' excuse, but actually, holding on to a complete game until they can release it at an optimal time - rather than rushing it out to earn a quick buck - is textbook Nintendo. I can't see them changing tune here for something as big as Metroid.

Alright, let's just break the bad news to all Metroid fans. Prime 4 could come out for the Switch 2, get 99 on Metacritic and win GoTY and it will still sell less than 5 million. This series does well enough for itself and that's okay. So just release Prime 4 this year on Switch and stop this delusional thinking that this is gonna be a 8-10 million seller.

I don't think this game will have anything in common with the rest of the series so judging it based on what prior games sold is weird.

We have literally no information on the game

The last four 3D Metroid games have had nothing in common and were all dramatic departures from Prime 1 and 2.

Yeah but by all accounts we should be seeing something Pokemon related this year, and historically that has always done a great job squeezing additional sales out of old hardware. If the Switch is to have one final unexpected Holiday season on the market, there are far worse options then having a new Pokemon game to sell. And that rumoured Fire Emblem remake might as well be an all new game tbh.

Nintendo have made a big deal out of Prime 4, which is why I just can't see them throwing it out as a Switch Swansong only to be forgotten about when the successor comes out. I mean we could be in a bonkers situation where Nintendo reveal Switch 2 before Prime 4 releases, and then everyone will be wondering just why Nintendo didn't hold on a few months more.

I know people throw around the 'Well it's Nintendo and they always make bonkers decisions' excuse, but actually, holding on to a complete game until they can release it at an optimal time - rather than rushing it out to earn a quick buck - is textbook Nintendo. I can't see them changing tune here for something as big as Metroid.
I think you're way overestimating how big Metroid is. Fire Emblem is the more popular franchise, so if anything that would get delayed instead.

There's also the fact that Metroid doesnt sell well in Japan, the home of Nintendo and one of the biggest customer bases.

I think you're way overestimating how big Metroid is. Fire Emblem is the more popular franchise, so if anything that would get delayed instead.

There's also the fact that Metroid doesnt sell well in Japan, the home of Nintendo and one of the biggest customer bases.

We have no information on the game whatsoever other than it being probably really big budget

How are we judging sales potential here. This game might be a Doom Eternal clone or have online co-op or be structured like God of War 2018 or even be a fucking Soulslike, we have nothing here.

Like, let's compare this to another long awaited game that has had zero officially released information: Dragon Age Dreadwolf. If we had no leaks, we would probably expect Dreadwolf to be like the prior games in the series.

But leaks have shown that Dreadwolf has little to nothing to do with the rest of the series gameplay wise and is a God of War 2018 clone.

Regarding getting Prime 3 on Switch, would it take a whole lot more work than the Mario Galaxy port via Mario 3D All-Stars? It’s been a while since I played Prime 3, but I would think the motion control issue can be conquered. Skyward Sword I know for sure was a lot more intensive than both of those games. Anyway, my mind was leaning on a Prime 2+3 package a la Pikmin 1+2 if we get the games, but considering Grubb’s only been talking about Prime 2, perhaps we’ll just have to settle on that one. Would be kind of funny if release schedule ended up as 1 > 2 > 4 > 3.

Regarding getting Prime 3 on Switch, would it take a whole lot more work than the Mario Galaxy port via Mario 3D All-Stars? It’s been a while since I played Prime 3, but I would think the motion control issue can be conquered. Skyward Sword I know for sure was a lot more intensive than both of those games. Anyway, my mind was leaning on a Prime 2+3 package a la Pikmin 1+2 if we get the games, but considering Grubb’s only been talking about Prime 2, perhaps we’ll just have to settle on that one. Would be kind of funny if release schedule ended up as 1 > 2 > 4 > 3.

You can adapt Metroid Prime 3's controls to dual analog controls, but they're much more vital and take less of a fun optional thing like Mario Galaxy 1. Metroid Prime 3's minigames also go from "pretty bad" to "extremely bad" if you move them to dual analog.

I could see MP4 releasing on Switch later this year and getting the premier November release spot. Switch will have a userbase of nearly 150 million units at that point giving it the best chance to stand out and really sell well. I was extremely impressed with how well Metroid Prime Remastered turned out and believe they can increase the scope while retaining that level of graphical fidelity. Would I prefer to have it be a launch title for SNG? Sure, but imagine if Nintendo lays out a plan to offer next gen upgrades for many of their Switch games when they reveal SNG. Now we are in a scenario where people can buy it on Switch in November knowing they will get an upgrade a few months later.

Nintendo may see Metroid as a franchise that can sell well when the userbase is already established rather than a IP that helps build a large userbase. Metroid Prime 3 released in Wii's first year and sold 1.4 million copies. Compare that to Zelda TP at 7.5 million units and Mario Galaxy at 12.5 million units. Nintendo could give Prime 4 the spotlight this holiday season giving it the chance for breakout success. As long as it gets a proper upgrade for SNG, it will have the opportunity to be an evergreen title.

I could see MP4 releasing on Switch later this year and getting the premier November release spot. Switch will have a userbase of nearly 150 million units at that point giving it the best chance to stand out and really sell well. I was extremely impressed with how well Metroid Prime Remastered turned out and believe they can increase the scope while retaining that level of graphical fidelity. Would I prefer to have it be a launch title for SNG? Sure, but imagine if Nintendo lays out a plan to offer next gen upgrades for many of their Switch games when they reveal SNG. Now we are in a scenario where people can buy it on Switch in November knowing they will get an upgrade a few months later.

Nintendo may see Metroid as a franchise that can sell well when the userbase is already established rather than a IP that helps build a large userbase. Metroid Prime 3 released in Wii's first year and sold 1.4 million copies. Compare that to Zelda TP at 7.5 million units and Mario Galaxy at 12.5 million units. Nintendo could give Prime 4 the spotlight this holiday season giving it the chance for breakout success. As long as it gets a proper upgrade for SNG, it will have the opportunity to be an evergreen title.

I don't think Nintendo wants this to release anywhere near Pokemon or Black Ops 2024, it's probably early October at the latest if it releases in 2024.

Metroid Prime 4 will have to go for the double dip route. A release this holiday then an enhanced version for Switch 2 unless the copy you have will enhance once you put it into the Switch 2 then it won’t matter lol

Back
Top Bottom