• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

What would you consider to be among the worst offenders?
Other M in general for all the fuckery it presents, but for one major plot point I would say either dread ignoring samus's genetic material returning to normal at the end of fusion or that evolved metroids on SR-388 are no longer resistant to cold since that was a pretty big gameplay element

Not a plot inconsistency but I also think it's very silly that they stuck with the whole metroids are gone thing considering how easy it was to produce them prior

I want to know why Sylux hates the Federation. And I think the perfect answer to that would be him knowing about the shady things they do behind the scenes. It is also know that Sylux hates Samus specifically, but we've never been given a reason as to why.

Federation Force imo should have taken place before the entire Prime Trilogy during the time when Samus did more work with the Federation.

The blue Federation Force member that you play as should have been Sylux. Throughout the game you discover a secret Federation plot and try to stop them. The final boss would still be Samus, but it would be a fight that you can't win. She attacks you under orders from the Federation, because as far as she knows, YOU are the traitor.

Samus leaves thinking that she killed you, but you survive and the ending shows Sylux stealing the suit he uses in Prime Hunters.

I want to know why Sylux hates the Federation. And I think the perfect answer to that would be him knowing about the shady things they do behind the scenes. It is also know that Sylux hates Samus specifically, but we've never been given a reason as to why.

Federation Force imo should have taken place before the entire Prime Trilogy during the time when Samus did more work with the Federation.

The blue Federation Force member that you play as should have been Sylux. Throughout the game you discover a secret Federation plot and try to stop them. The final boss would still be Samus, but it would be a fight that you can't win. She attacks you under orders from the Federation, because as far as she knows, YOU are the traitor.

Samus leaves thinking that she killed you, but you survive and the ending shows Sylux stealing the suit he uses in Prime Hunters.
i think you assume there was some thought behind fed force and that it wasnt just a budget multiplayer game. Hell if there was it wouldn't have released for the 3ds to begin with.

I'm a few weeks late on this but I saw that in Kit & Krysta's 2023 predictions video, they seem pretty confident that Metroid Prime 4 will release this holiday, and that it absolutely won't be on Switch 2. They think Prime Remaster will release in the first half of this year and Prime 4 at the end of this year.

I would love to believe that but I don't buy it at all. I think 2023 will be Prime Remaster and 2024 will be Prime 4. I don't see them both releasing in one year. Thoughts on that?

There's zero chance Prime 1 launches before June and zero chance Nintendo launches two Metroid Prime games within 6 months of each other, so Prime 4 is 2024 at the earliest.

What makes you think Prime 1 has zero chance of releasing in the first half of the year?

If it was launching in April, it would be announced already.

I'm very doubtful Nintendo will bury this by launching it in June next to FF16, SF6, etc.

Maybe they would? But it would be a little weird to do.

Even if it launches in June, I'm extremely doubtful they would want to turn around and then launch Prime 4 in November or December.

Not necessarily. I get where you're coming from, but Nintendo announcements have gotten much closer to the release dates in recent years. It's not out of the realm of possibility to expect a two month gap between announcement and release, especially for a remaster of a decades-old game. I will say you're probably right but I wouldn't say it's impossible for an April release to happen, for instance.

I'm very doubtful Nintendo will bury this by launching it in June next to FF16, SF6, etc.

Maybe they would? But it would be a little weird to do.

Even if it launches in June, I'm extremely doubtful they would want to turn around and then launch Prime 4 in November or December.
I doubt nintendo gives a shit about FF16/SF6 or whatever releasing near there in the context of prime HD

What would you consider to be among the worst offenders?
For me, it's always been the way Prime conveys the Space Pirates, versus how Sakamoto's storyline portrays them.

In the Prime line, they would have you believe that the Pirates are a mix between the Umbrella Corporation and GIJoe's Cobra. A sinister paramilitary organization that has already successfully taken over multiple worlds, subjugated or destroyed various civilizations, reverse-engineered different technology to suit their needs, willing to build and utilize bioweapons, and in general, a galactic level threat that's every bit worth being dreaded, by the Federation and their allies.

Then you get to Sakamoto's way of telling the story, and the Pirates are portrayed more as a high-level thorn in the Fed's sode that raids commercial ships and colonies located in the space boonies, and only became a galaxy-level threat because Mother Brain collectively whipped them into shape with her telepathic commands and directed them to steal the first batch of Metroids.

They almost might as well be alternate timelines.

I don't think the Space Pirates are portrayed as much of a threat in the Prime games at all, lol

The Space Pirates are often a comic relief punching bag in these games.

The only thing I dislike about Prime's lore (there is not much of a story in any of the games) is how they have Ridley come back from the dead several times so he ends up having a comical level of revivals in the overall series.

I'm leaning towards this game being an origin story game that takes place before Zero Mission though.

Then again, that would be the direction a more cinematic take on the franchise would take and Retro didn't employ a single professional writer from 2019 to 2021 so I'm guessing they very much aren't going in a more story driven direction.

Which is a little surprising after how much God of War 2018 sold.

This is very much going to be Tanabe or some other designers/programmers cranking out something extremely simple again.

Ahh, they did have a professional writer from 2020 to 2022, they hired one of the writers of Jedi Fallen Order (she eventually left to go to Microsoft to write for their Monster Hunter ripoff)

Last edited:
Retro's current #2 writer is currently writing Thomas the Tank Engine season 24 and Metroid Prime 4 while producing Invincible season 2.

What a range of tones there, lol.

Unless Prime 4 is either much darker or much more kid friendly than people are expecting.

I don't think the Space Pirates are portrayed as much of a threat in the Prime games at all, lol

The only thing I dislike about Prime's lore (there is not much of a story in any of the games) is how they have Ridley come back from the dead several times so he ends up having a comical level of revivals in the overall series.

I'm leaning towards this game being an origin story game that takes place before Zero Mission though.

Then again, that would be the direction a more cinematic take on the franchise would take and Retro didn't employ a single professional writer from 2019 to 2021 so I'm guessing they very much aren't going in a more story driven direction.

I think TreIII raises a valid point. There are notable differences in the way the Space Pirates are portrayed, between the 2D saga and the Prime games. In addition to what he's already outlined, a major one is species diversity. The 2D saga depicts every foot soldier as a Zebesian (those lobster claw aliens), while in the Prime games, the Pirates of Prime 1 look radically different from those of 2, and the same applies when comparing 2 and 3's Pirates. Their hierarchy is also somewhat of a mystery, as they're first led by Mother Brain, followed by "High Command", and then Dark Samus has seemingly assumed leadership over the organization, by the events of Prime 3.

The Space Pirates are also seemingly no more, following the destruction of Zebes (or if they're still out there, we haven't seen them), which seems to imply a smaller faction than the Prime games do.

I don't see how God of War, successful as it may be, should serve as any sort of model for Prime 4. Historically, Metroid's design philosophy has been the antithesis of the more cinematic games that are popular these days. I do want more story, but I'm not sure something like GoW or TLoU should serve as a blueprint to adhere to.

I mean, because Prime 3 and Other M did very much try to go in that direction and just failed very badly as they had terrible writing and poor understanding of narrative design.

We will see what direction this game goes in.

This is very much going to be Tanabe or some other designers/programmers cranking out something extremely simple again.

Ahh, they did have a professional writer from 2020 to 2022, they hired one of the writers of Jedi Fallen Order (she eventually left to go to Microsoft to write for their Monster Hunter ripoff)
They did employ, and there are a few people yhat have listed in a writing position as well.

No matter what, reality is very much againdt your later points. If prime 4 was going to be some AA level game it would have released years ago, not only that but retro wouldnt have to expand to almost twice its size.

Yes, MP4 eill certainly not be as cinematic as god of war (not that icwas ever hoping for that) but easy bet that it will be a complete departure from the formula.

They did employ, and there are a few people yhat have listed in a writing position as well.

No matter what, reality is very much againdt your later points. If prime 4 was going to be some AA level game it would have released years ago, not only that but retro wouldnt have to expand to almost twice its size.

Yes, MP4 eill certainly not be as cinematic as god of war (not that icwas ever hoping for that) but easy bet that it will be a complete departure from the formula.

You can have a AAA game with very little story though.

See Super Mario Odyssey or basically all multiplayer focused games in the last 10 years.

You can have a AAA game with very little story though.

See Super Mario Odyssey or basically all multiplayer focused games in the last 10 years.
My point was you assuming mp4 was going to be a little experiment by the devs, which seems absurd.

And yes you can be an AAA game with not a lot of story, but i def expect mp4 to be substantially story heavy by metroid levels in any case. (Hopefully backed my quality as well)

My point was you assuming mp4 was going to be a little experiment by the devs, which seems absurd.

And yes you can be an AAA game with not a lot of story, but i def expect mp4 to be substantially story heavy by metroid levels in any case. (Hopefully backed my quality as well)

That was not my intention fwiw.

This February is the first time in a while I actually hope for or expect Metroid Prime news.

the-office-michael-scott.gif

Some Direct announcement fanfiction:

Here's my ideal closer. I haven't put a lot of thought into it or anything.

Takahashi: So, how is everything? This next segment will be our last for today's Nintendo Direct. (closeup) Today, we're finally able to bring you new information on the latest entry in the Metroid Prime series, Metroid Prime 4. It's been four years since we announced that Retro Studios would restart development on this title from the beginning. Thank you all for your patience. (bows) We can announce that Metroid Prime 4 will release on Nintendo Switch in [2023/2024]. Please wait a little longer for the final release information. We've prepared a trailer for the game, but first, we actually have something else to show you. Please, take a look. (snap) (Metroid Prime 1 remake trailer which starts in a way that makes it obvious it's not a new game) (2023 release date) What you just saw was the [remake/remaster] of Metroid Prime, the first game in the series, which will launch on Nintendo Switch this [name of month]. Before the release of Metroid Prime 4, players will be able to experience the beginning of the Metroid Prime story (blah blah blah). All right, it's time to show the first look at Metroid Prime 4. Please enjoy, and thank you for tuning into today's Nintendo Direct. (fade out to Metroid Prime 4 trailer) (credits)

After so many people online have expressed "concern", I think Nintendo's never announcing a game as early as Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4. Those two might be the last of their kind
Tears of the Kingdom was pretty bad about this too, though. It obviously had better consistent messaging through its life, but like, the root problem isn't these games showing nothing while they're in development. It's being announced way too early in general, which was absolutely the case for TotK.

I do agree though Nintendo is going to do this a lot less going forward.

So back in 2017 when Nintendo announced Metroid Prime 4 I thought about how they could do the control scheme. And I had the idea that the right Joycon could be held back-to-front in your hand so that the stick is under your thumb and the IR camera points towards the TV. Wouldn't it be possible for the camera to detect the light from the screen and use it to act like a Wii remote?

Last edited:
Some Direct announcement fanfiction:
That's my dream now. There's precedence with Skyward Sword HD and Tears of the Kingdom closing E3 2021. I see something exactly like that you described happening either February or June.
After so many people online have expressed "concern", I think Nintendo's never announcing a game as early as Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4. Those two might be the last of their kind
I hoped they had learned that after the reboot of Prime 4, just so they revealed 2023 game that same year lol. I know TotK was more of a case of announcing a game early in development to start massive hiring calls, and at first(as in before COVID and they knowing it would never make it) it might've been a holiday 2021 game or something, they always knew it would never come the following year which is...a very non-Nintendo thing to do.
Bayonetta 3 and Prime 4 are on a whole other league tho, specially Prime 4, only thing that comes close is Pikmin 4. Really hope they're done with that and the next Zelda game is announced on June when they're confident it'll release on the holiday of the following year.
So back in 2017 when Nintendo announced Metroid Prime 4 I thought about how they could do the control scheme. And I had the idea that the right Joycon could be held back-to-front in your hand so that the stick is under your thumb and the IR camera points towards the TV. Wouldn't it be possible for the camera to detect the light from the screen and use it to act like a Wii remote?
I wish they'd make something interesting with the IR camera. Hope Metroid Prime 4 uses the joy con smartly like SMO did.

Easily the funniest extremely impressive game resume I have ever seen.

image.png

image.png
It's funny to read posts trying to guess Prime 4's narrative direction from the writers. But if we followed that logic here, well, lets just say I'd be very confused as to how Metroid Prime 4 is gonna make use of GE's wind turbine software.

But seriously. a good writer can have a lot of range, just because they've done dark and gritty narrative driven stories before doesn't mean they're doing it for Prime 4. Really the Prime Trilogy or even MercurySteam's Metroid games are probably much better indications as to what direction Nintendo will end up going as far as presenting the story than picking through writers.

Kit and Krysta think Metroid Prime 4 could be a holiday 2023 release.

NateDrake also thinks Metroid Prime 4 could release this coming fiscal year (April 2023 - March 2024)

giphy.gif

I have a feeling, if anyone will give us an update on Metroid Prime 4, it will be Shinya Takahashi, who announced the development restart and announced Metroid Dread.

Yeah it very well could be. We were discussing the dream scenario about how MP1 and MP4 could be announced similarly to SSHD and TotK were handled at the end of the E3 2021 Direct. It would be epic!

But honestly, I would just prefer a trailer without preamble, like how MP4 was originally announced.

NateDrake also thinks Metroid Prime 4 could release this coming fiscal year (April 2023 - March 2024)

giphy.gif
I know you probably know this, but I don't think Kit and Krysta have an insider source on that, and Drake's comment was just speculation.

I don't really see it as convincing evidence.

I know you probably know this, but I don't think Kit and Krysta have an insider source on that, and Drake's comment was just speculation.

I don't really see it as convincing evidence.
I know it's not actual evidence, but I take it as a good sign that people are seeing it as a possibility. I think if there was some kind of trouble in its development, there would be rumblings in the industry about it.

I'm starting to feel like Metroid Prime 4 will be a Switch exclusive and won't be crossgen. Anyone else feeling this way?

I've always been open to this possibility, but it's hard to say. Hopefully everything becomes clear this year.

I know it's not actual evidence, but I take it as a good sign that people are seeing it as a possibility. I think if there was some kind of trouble in its development, there would be rumblings in the industry about it.
I don't think there's anything going wrong with the development, but there wasn't any rumors about troubled development before the reboot. It kinda came out of nowhere.

If the Direct flashes to Tanabe at any point I will legit lose my shit.
Please Nintendo make it happen 🥺

giphy.gif
Maybe the whole 4 years after the reboot made me very pessimistic, I've settled my mind for holiday 2024.
I'm starting to feel like Metroid Prime 4 will be a Switch exclusive and won't be crossgen. Anyone else feeling this way?
It depends on when Switch 2 releases. If Switch 2 releases early 2025, it's gonna be a Switch exclusive playable through BC and patched. If it's late 2024, it might be the Switch 2 launch title, while being a Switch title that works on both. If it's early 2024, it's gonna be cross gen.

I don't think there's anything going wrong with the development, but there wasn't any rumors about troubled development before the reboot. It kinda came out of nowhere.

A few people (Jon Cartwright and others) as of November 2018 suddenly got strangely concerned that Prime 4 was going to be a generic shooter so I assume that could have been leaks from Nintendo that the game was not shaping up well.

Please Nintendo make it happen 🥺

Maybe the whole 4 years after the reboot made me very pessimistic, I've settled my mind for holiday 2024.

It depends on when Switch 2 releases. If Switch 2 releases early 2025, it's gonna be a Switch exclusive playable through BC and patched. If it's late 2024, it might be the Switch 2 launch title, while being a Switch title that works on both. If it's early 2024, it's gonna be cross gen.

I think holiday 2024 is the absolute latest it's going to release... I'm optimistic for earlier than that personally. But if a six year dev cycle is what it takes to get another 10/10 Metroid Prime game then so be it.

A few people (Jon Cartwright and others) as of November 2018 suddenly got strangely concerned that Prime 4 was going to be a generic shooter so I assume that could have been leaks from Nintendo that the game was not shaping up well.
A generic shooter might have killed the Metroid series, so thank god we didn't get that. Metroid thrives on how unique it is.

I think holiday 2024 is the absolute latest it's going to release... I'm optimistic for earlier than that personally. But if a six year dev cycle is what it takes to get another 10/10 Metroid Prime game then so be it.
I really can't wait to see this game. I hope it's on the next Direct soooooo badly

No way, if MP4 releases this year I will lose it.

I don't believe it will, but if it does I'm ready.

Last edited:
I feel more like this now since we found out they're increasing production on switches, I assumed we'd see a new console early 2024 but that seems to be late 2024/early 2025 now

Back
Top Bottom