• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

I think it’s best not to fully use Tanabe’s old interviews of what he’d like. That was some time ago and maybe Retro brought some other ideas to the table.

Very true.

Considering Tanabe was involved with both LTTP as well as OoT, I'm sure there's probably some leftover ideas from those games that he could probably mine for ideas, not to mention whatever Retro themselves might bring to the table.

The main thing I hope is that it's not simply another excuse for a "dual world" mechanic. If we're going to be screwing with timelines, and Sylux ends up being something akin to Metroid's answer to a "Hero of Time" figure with a darker twist, let's go balls to the walls with the idea.

One of the more interesting things I've read are some theories about Sylux actually being Samus' brother. I think along with time travel shenanigans it could make finor an extremely interesting experience bevoth in terms of narrative and gameplay. Just give us something, even a 30 second teaser. Pleeeeease...

I think it'd be interesting if the Prime series officially ended up amounting to a divergent timeline, with this Samus never sent on her mission to eradicate the Metroids on SR388. As a result, there is no infant Metroid, the X Parasites never see a resurgence, Samus is not administered the Metroid vaccine, and Raven Beak is successful in making a second expedition to SR388, fulfilling his plans in using Metroids to establish a galaxy-spanning apocalypse.

It would free the Prime series from many constraints of continuity and timeline adherence, while still enabling Retro to explore an alternate, darker reality where Raven Beak's plans actually came to fruition, should they so choose. The inverse of the 2D saga, where instead of Metroids being effectively extinct, they're horrifically ubiquitous.

I'm just spitballing. I have near total confidence that it won't end up anything like this. Fun to think about, though.

Not gonna lie, I actually kind of want the time travel thing to be true because it would be an easy way to separate the Prime series from the main timeline, and thus not have any restraints on what it could be moving forward. It's already kinda weird how much has happened between M1 and M2 at this point.

You may hate this, but I also view the idea of the next couple Prime games leading into the events of Metroid 2 to be equally as compelling of an idea, haha. Samus going from the events of 1, straight into the genocide of an entire species in 2, makes little sense to me, if you only take into account the 2D saga. I think the Prime games serve a purpose of painting a more gradual picture of what occurred. That being, a series of escalating galactic crises involving Metroids at the forefront, rather than the events on Zebes serving as the primary catalyst for their demise. The Federation's last resort, rather than an initial measure rooted in panic.

Ultimately, I think there's a lot they can do with Prime 4 that will either add further texture to the overall saga, or see Retro finally split off from any association with Metroid 2 onwards. I think both possibilities are compelling for different reasons, and I'd be cool with either of them, provided they're done well.

Though I admit you make some compelling points here!

The prime series is the most popular and acclaimed part of the franchise, it shouldn't serve as some kind of stool for the 2D games like a few fans keep saying recently. It's not that the trilogy didn't have things that added to the overall narrative ofc, but it wasnt the focus; Phazon was. And it was much more interesting than Metroids.

This is all is highly debatable. Dread is the best selling game in the franchise, and Super is the most influential and revered (though Prime 1 is very close in reverence). And two decades of discussing the Prime series I personally see a lot more people call the Phazon arc pretty boring, though they tend to praise the lore aspects of Prime. It also seems like people genuinely love how Samus is depicted in Dread, and there has been mostly praise for how it's narrative was handled as well. And like it or not, scenes like encountering the baby in M2 are forever burned into people's brains, and no story moment in any of the Prime games is iconic as the baby saving you in Super. I think the intrigue for narrative sides with the 2D games overall.

I'm almost certain Metroid Prime 4 is renamed to something that drops "Prime" from the title as Metroid Prime herself is extremely dead and all Phazon is gone too, lol.

They're not going to drop the Prime name, it's the name of the subseries. Unless they decide to ignore what happened at the end of FF, Sylux is obviously going to create the new Metroid Prime. Honestly I doubt they'll even drop the 4. They'll add a subtitle for sure though.

One of the more interesting things I've read are some theories about Sylux actually being Samus' brother. I think along with time travel shenanigans it could make finor an extremely interesting experience bevoth in terms of narrative and gameplay. Just give us something, even a 30 second teaser. Pleeeeease...

I remain of two minds when it comes to Sylux being her bro (or anything of note to Samus). On one hand...it'd go against everything we've known about the series and Samus, thus far, just for the sake of giving her a familial tie that didn't exist previously (no, "Solomon Aran" doesn't count, I'm sorry LOL).

But on the other...why the hell not? If the only way that Samus is going to get a consistent, non-Ridley rival in the Metroid series, her own "Vergil", if you will...is to give her a non-Chozo familial tie that hits home? Then if you can make it compelling, go ahead. Still have to explain why only she got taken by the Chozo and she didn't bother mentioning a brother that might've been left behind, though! :ROFLMAO:

I'm extremely doubtful the game is going to reference Federation Force in any way, lol.
They'll at least likely have to address the game's stinger.

Granted, the only thing that happens of note is Sylux popping in to the Federation facility, and preparing to make off with a newly hatched Metroid. But considering Sylux is getting Thanos-like build-up, it'll likely factor in.

No, they don't have to. They can just set the game anywhere in the timeline or start a new timeline. Federation Force sold like less than 100k and I doubt more than 5% of the players got the secret ending, lol.

The game being a direct sequel story sequel to probably the 2nd worst selling Nintendo game of the last decade (Codename Steam being the worst) seems really unlikely for a game this big budget.

Being an origin story or a full reboot seems possible.

Last edited:
This is all is highly debatable. Dread is the best selling game in the franchise, and Super is the most influential and revered (though Prime 1 is very close in reverence). And two decades of discussing the Prime series I personally see a lot more people call the Phazon arc pretty boring, though they tend to praise the lore aspects of Prime. It also seems like people genuinely love how Samus is depicted in Dread, and there has been mostly praise for how it's narrative was handled as well. And like it or not, scenes like encountering the baby in M2 are forever burned into people's brains, and no story moment in any of the Prime games is iconic as the baby saving you in Super. I think the intrigue for narrative sides with the 2D games overall.
Its really not. The first main point (obvious one) is 3d game will be more popular than 2d and that's a fact unless you re mario in 2009.
Dread is the best selling 2d game and im glad for it, but that's not going to scratch the potential sales of mp4 and nintendo knows that; they used Dread as an excuse for prime 4 not showing up at the e3 2021. And we dont need to point out how many people had no idea the 2d series existed up until dread's announcement (which got a lot of people thinking they skipped prime 4).

Super being influential in gaming circles doesnt really says much, prime still outsold it by twice.

Honestly, the bit about phazon being boring is anedoctal evidence. I can point out that in all the metroid servers im in they would agree that its time to let the metroids rest, but that wouldn't be proof that it is what most people think, is it?

The part about Dread is also very unfair, as we re comparing a 2022 game vs a bunch of mid 2000s ones. If we actually compare it to zero mission, other m, or even fusion we wouldn't get this kind of reaction.

See the second paragraph.

No, they don't have to. They can just set the game anywhere in the timeline or start a new timeline. Federation Force sold like less than 100k and I doubt more than 5% of the players got the secret ending, lol.

The game being a direct sequel story sequel to probably the 2nd worst selling Nintendo game of the last decade (Codename Steam being the worst) seems really unlikely for a game this big budget.

I agree. Both Hunters and FF will not be very relevant at all. MP4 will treat everything they introduced (if any) as something new as the audience in the case of hunters: wasnt alive/didn't hear about it/didn't care about it/doesnt remembers it.

In the case of FF the game is simply so forgettable and despised that i would be surprised if retro went out of their way to actually make any sort of reference towards it.

I love the controls and gameplay and art and music in Metroid, but the lore and story has never been interesting. They can do whatever they want in the new game and they shouldn't worry at all about the plotline in the rest of the series.

Just do whatever story is interesting and allows for interesting enemies, settings, etc.

You make it sound like "acknowledging and re-contextualizing a scene from a prior game" is a bigger deal than it has to be. More than likely, it'll be redone with far better visuals, and the only that matters is that it gives a means to kick off why Samus is back in action again. Not because it originated in a disliked 3DS game from 7 years ago, and starred a character from a DS game that came out 17 years ago. Those trivia beats can be left for nerds like us and Metroid tubers like TheOrpheon.

"Hey, Samus, this dude made off with one of the Metroids we had under wraps. Go get 'em!" and away we go.

That's the thing, though. Why should they and Tanabe be "stuck" working within the confines of that point in time of the series timeline and just succeed in making it more and more crowded, assuming more games are just going to come? If they continue growing their side of the universe, they're inevitably going to cause (even more) contradictions between their plot and Sakamoto's, anyway.

Split-timelines and the multiverse are just so especially commonplace now that I think if they did do it, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. It still wouldn't be anywhere close to Zelda in complexity, either.
I mean they don't have to take place between 1/2 but not having to jump through hoops to justify the series namesake is less limiting than whatever 2d metroid will be moving forward.

Prime contradicting sakamoto's timeline doesn't mean anything, almost all of sakamoto's metroid games have large retcons or inconsistencies within themselves anyway (dread's premise is based off a huge retcon from fusion; samus's genetic material was supposes to be reverted pre-metroid when she absorbed the SA-X, hence why she could use ice beam again, this was confirmed in an online ZM post release QA by Sakamoto himself)

Its really not. The first main point (obvious one) is 3d game will be more popular than 2d and that's a fact unless you re mario in 2009.
Dread is the best selling 2d game and im glad for it, but that's not going to scratch the potential sales of mp4 and nintendo knows that; they used Dread as an excuse for prime 4 not showing up at the e3 2021. And we dont need to point out how many people had no idea the 2d series existed up until dread's announcement (which got a lot of people thinking they skipped prime 4).

Super being influential in gaming circles doesnt really says much, prime still outsold it by twice.

Honestly, the bit about phazon being boring is anedoctal evidence. I can point out that in all the metroid servers im in they would agree that its time to let the metroids rest, but that wouldn't be proof that it is what most people think, is it?

The part about Dread is also very unfair, as we re comparing a 2022 game vs a bunch of mid 2000s ones. If we actually compare it to zero mission, other m, or even fusion we wouldn't get this kind of reaction.

See the second paragraph.

Some of your points are fair enough, but Prime 1 is the only game in the series that sold anything of note prior to Dread (other than OG Metroid), with both Prime 2 and 3 barely eeking it over a million. Echoes failed to even sell 40% of Prime 1, and Corruption in particular was very disappointing sales wise releasing while the Wii was lighting up the charts. I know enthusiast gamers mostly prefer Echoes to it, but it reviewed extremely well (90 on MC) on the most popular console on the market, got tons of "Wii would like to play" commercials on TV, and still underperformed.

That said, It will be quite shocking to me if Prime 4 isn't the best selling entry in the series, and I agree that these days a 3D games in general have higher sales potential. But people being confused about Metroid 5 isn't due to them not knowing the 2D series existed. It's just their lack of knowledge of the series in general ie the timeline, how the Primes connect to the main series, how the main series itself is not numbered in name but they actually are, etc.

It's really strange of you to wave off Super because of it's sales despite it selling better than both Prime 2 and 3, and being more revered.

Yes, I was using anecdotal evidence about the narrative aspects, I was just stating what I've observed as an avid series fan (the Prime series is actually my 1A, 1B, and 1C favorite games of all time) browsing enthusiast boards since the early Wii days. It's fine to think the Phazon stuff is more interesting, but I can't say I agree, though I do indeed think the Prime scan lore is the most interesting thing the series has done narratively.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't really have any idea of how Metroid has fared in terms of virtual console sales do we? I'd be really curious to see those.

Last edited:
Retro is already free to do basically anything while the games take place between metroid 1 and 2 while staying distant from the constant retcons added to the metroid timeline post-super by sakamoto and the gang, I don't really think that's necessary.
I think the more events you cram into that space between (@TheSpaceBetween) Metroid 1 and 2, the harder it all becomes to reconcile within the context of the overall series lore. As of Prime 4, the Space Pirates will still be working on rebuilding their fortress (and Mother Brain) on Zebes, and Raven Beak will still be in the middle of containing the X threat on ZDR.

Just how long can those things reasonably take, before it becomes comical? Why wouldn't the Federation monitor the situation on Zebes and do something about it, once it became clear the Pirates were rebuilding? How is it that Raven Beak was apparently able to take his sweet time to "contain" the X Parasites, when in Fusion, they're shown to be capable of flooding entire sectors of the station within mere minutes? As soon as the X were brought to ZDR, it should've been game over for the entire planet, but we're led to believe it took Raven Beak the entire series to fight off the X, and he somehow never got infected himself, on top of it.

I realize the issue here is mainly Dread's poor writing, but canon is canon, so if the Prime series is to still eventually lead into Metroid 2, it has the potential to create some very weird lore issues, when the bigger picture is observed. I hope Prime 4's writers are skilled enough to keep everything cohesive.

Again, Metroid's canon should not be treated as some sacred thing.

Every Halo game has a horrible story in part because they make sure to take all of the 400 books seriously. You can set this game 300 years in the future (with no indication as to whether or not the prior games happened) and everything would be fine.

I love the controls and gameplay and art and music in Metroid, but the lore and story has never been interesting. They can do whatever they want in the new game and they shouldn't worry at all about the plotline in the rest of the series.

Just do whatever story is interesting and allows for interesting enemies, settings, etc.
I find the Metroid lore fascinating, and have to disagree with the notion that it's "never" been interesting. Prime games do a lot of heavy lifting in this regard, but even the 2D games have built up a pretty cool universe. I like the backstory of the Chozo having created Metroids in order to have a viable weapon against a far greater threat. I like that Samus grew up on Zebes, raised by her bird dads. The foundation is there, and it's ripe for further exploration. It's just up to good writers to capitalize on it. If Prime 4 focuses a bit more on Samus as a character (whether that's through a connection to Sylux, or something else), I wouldn't be upset.

I don't think anything needs to be thrown out explicitly, except Other M, for obvious reasons.

Here are a couple of my favorite lore contributions from Prime. I don't see these mentioned often, as folks are generally more about discussing the Pirate logs, but these planetary descriptions do so much to add further texture to the Metroid universe, and with just a few lines.

Planet Twin Tabula
Mass: 4.1 trillion teratons.

Planet is best known for "Twin Fever", a disease caused by a viral strain native to Twin Tabula. In the early stages of the disease, victims suffer from double vision. When the "twin sight" fades, the victim is near death.

Planet Bilium
Mass: 3.8 trillion teratons.

Profile: QUARANTINE
Atmosphere is rife with Miteralis, a sentient gaseous Global Exterminator virus.

(Side note: I don't think I'd wanna live in the Metroid universe.)

I think the more events you cram into that space between (@TheSpaceBetween) Metroid 1 and 2, the harder it all becomes to reconcile within the context of the overall series lore. As of Prime 4, the Space Pirates will still be working on rebuilding their fortress (and Mother Brain) on Zebes, and Raven Beak will still be in the middle of containing the X threat on ZDR.

Just how long can those things reasonably take, before it becomes comical? Why wouldn't the Federation monitor the situation on Zebes and do something about it, once it became clear the Pirates were rebuilding? How is it that Raven Beak was apparently able to take his sweet time to "contain" the X Parasites, when in Fusion, they're shown to be capable of flooding entire sectors of the station within mere minutes? As soon as the X were brought to ZDR, it should've been game over for the entire planet, but we're led to believe it took Raven Beak the entire series to fight off the X, and he somehow never got infected himself, on top of it.

I realize the issue here is mainly Dread's poor writing, but canon is canon, so if the Prime series is to still eventually lead into Metroid 2, it has the potential to create some very weird lore issues, when the bigger picture is observed. I hope Prime 4's writers are skilled enough to keep everything cohesive.
Prime introduced non-zebesian pirates with 3 for enemies, the dates are set in the timelind and don't matter much (subject to change, current timeline has super taking place a year after 2 which makes no sense but, you know, sakamoto). Prime is distant enough to make raven beak's sr 388 trip/X parasites irrelevant.

Again, Metroid's canon should not be treated as some sacred thing.

Every Halo game has a horrible story in part because they make sure to take all of the 400 books seriously. You can set this game 300 years in the future (with no indication as to whether or not the prior games happened) and everything would be fine.
If, hypothetically speaking, they did jump that far ahead, would you still want Samus to be the protagonist?

I would go backwards instead, tbh. A story about a Chozo society in the distant past, featuring a completely new threat. No Space Pirates, Metroids, X Parasites, Phazon, etc.
Prime introduced non-zebesian pirates with 3 for enemies, the dates are set in the timelind and don't matter much (subject to change, current timeline has super taking place a year after 2 which makes no sense but, you know, sakamoto). Prime is distant enough to make raven beak's sr 388 trip/X parasites irrelevant.
There aren't any Zebesian Pirates in the Prime games at all, iirc. It's odd, because the Space Pirates you fight in Prime 1 are apparently refugees from Zebes:

Fall of Zebes

Zebes has fallen. All ground personnel are presumed dead, either killed by the Hunter clad in metal or in the subsequent destruction of the underground facilities. Our research frigates Orpheon, Siriacus, and Vol Paragom were in orbit at zero hour and managed to retreat.

I guess the researchers they had working aboard the frigates were all of a different species.

As for Super taking place a year after 2: is there a source for that? I thought it took place very shortly after.

Metrodi Prime should be considered as "The Legend of Samus Aran" basically they happened but they are narration by people in the galaxy

As the opening of Prime PAL "Samus Aran stories trascend life and take their places in history, today another chapter of that history is written..."

If, hypothetically speaking, they did jump that far ahead, would you still want Samus to be the protagonist?

I would go backwards instead, tbh. A story about a Chozo society in the distant past, featuring a completely new threat. No Space Pirates, Metroids, X Parasites, Phazon, etc.

There aren't any Zebesian Pirates in the Prime games at all, iirc. It's odd, because the Space Pirates you fight in Prime 1 are apparently refugees from Zebes:

I guess the researchers they had working aboard the frigates were all of a different species.

As for Super taking place a year after 2: is there a source for that? I thought it took place very shortly after.
I tried to look up the timeline dates but I couldn't find anything, I could be misremembering but I recall a pre-SR release Nintendo article having them a year apart

I sure hope this ends up being the year we see a trailer or something, at the very least. Trust the process, everyone.

You could just have Samus travel through a wormhole or be frozen for the 300 years. I bring this up just because the massive timeskip is what DOOM 2016 did.

Okay, finally found it.

image.png

This company also is working on Judas and Redfall so I guess they're a go to for immersive sims.

The CEO himself seems completely obnoxious and pretty stupid

I find the Metroid lore fascinating, and have to disagree with the notion that it's "never" been interesting. Prime games do a lot of heavy lifting in this regard, but even the 2D games have built up a pretty cool universe. I like the backstory of the Chozo having created Metroids in order to have a viable weapon against a far greater threat. I like that Samus grew up on Zebes, raised by her bird dads. The foundation is there, and it's ripe for further exploration. It's just up to good writers to capitalize on it. If Prime 4 focuses a bit more on Samus as a character (whether that's through a connection to Sylux, or something else), I wouldn't be upset.

I don't think anything needs to be thrown out explicitly, except Other M, for obvious reasons.

Here are a couple of my favorite lore contributions from Prime. I don't see these mentioned often, as folks are generally more about discussing the Pirate logs, but these planetary descriptions do so much to add further texture to the Metroid universe, and with just a few lines.

(Side note: I don't think I'd wanna live in the Metroid universe.)

My favorite piece of lore in Metroid Prime is something that is easily missable. In fact it took me 10 years to notice it, because it's not a Space Pirate log but is instead a completely optional scan in Magmoor Caverns:

"Local crystal formations possess low Phazon residue. They do have high value to the monks of Grondheim, however. Recommend processing of crystal for that market once Phazon operations cease."

The "Monks of Grondheim" are never mentioned anywhere else in the game or in the entire series. The fact that the decorative red crystals in that one segment of Magmoor Caverns hold some kind of great significance to a group of individuals on another world is the kind of flavor text that makes my imagination run wild. It was so great.

Super does take place very shortly afterwards.

Heck, given the speed at which the X parasites spread as shown by every time they've shown up, and that it was a shock to everyone that they encountered one at all in the opening to fusion, the whole timeline from Metroid 2-> Super -> Fusion is probably only a few months at best. It's the same way that all three prime games plus hunters occur in a single year.

The "Monks of Grondheim" are never mentioned anywhere else in the game or in the entire series. The fact that the decorative red crystals in that one segment of Magmoor Caverns hold some kind of great significance to a group of individuals on another world is the kind of flavor text that makes my imagination run wild. It was so great.
I completely agree, and in fact, I once remarked upon this very scan, to a somewhat obsessive extent!

Bring us more lore, Retro, bring us more lore. Give me obscure lore. Give me lore that answers questions nobody else asks. Tell me about the Monks of Grondheim! What species do they belong to? Is Grondheim a city? A planet? Something else? Why do they place value on crystal formations? Are the crystals used for religious purposes, since they're monks? What is the nature of their relationship to the Space Pirates? Do they work together out of necessity, or are the monks genuinely thankful for the Pirates, and their continued conflict against the Federation? The name "Grondheim" sounds Norse. Any significance there? The questions are endless, and they're all highly valuable to ask.

Wait, ESRB classified the game?
No, it was the BBRB (Best Buy Ratings Board).

The rating spontaneously being updated from RP to T on a (very) old listing does seem unusual, and the close proximity to a potential Direct is what made me feel like it was worth posting about. But it's pretty doubtful that it actually means anything. ESRB ratings can be completed but held off the public listing until a publisher says it's okay, but I don't think Best Buy would have access to that info (or that Nintendo would supply it) until it's published. And like all online retailers, they put up junk info on prerelease listings all the time.

I'm a few weeks late on this but I saw that in Kit & Krysta's 2023 predictions video, they seem pretty confident that Metroid Prime 4 will release this holiday, and that it absolutely won't be on Switch 2. They think Prime Remaster will release in the first half of this year and Prime 4 at the end of this year.

I would love to believe that but I don't buy it at all. I think 2023 will be Prime Remaster and 2024 will be Prime 4. I don't see them both releasing in one year. Thoughts on that?

I'm a few weeks late on this but I saw that in Kit & Krysta's 2023 predictions video, they seem pretty confident that Metroid Prime 4 will release this holiday, and that it absolutely won't be on Switch 2. They think Prime Remaster will release in the first half of this year and Prime 4 at the end of this year.

I would love to believe that but I don't buy it at all. I think 2023 will be Prime Remaster and 2024 will be Prime 4. I don't see them both releasing in one year. Thoughts on that?
I assume that means "it absolutely won't be moved off the Switch and onto Switch 2," which is definitely true, no matter what year it releases.

As for how to release it in relation to the alleged Prime 1 rerelease, there are a lot of different things Nintendo could do with that game. And it depends on other factors like whether/when they plan to also rerelease Echoes and Corruption. I don't think any possibilities can be ruled out (besides, like, launching Prime 1 and 4 at the same time).

My favorite piece of lore in Metroid Prime is something that is easily missable. In fact it took me 10 years to notice it, because it's not a Space Pirate log but is instead a completely optional scan in Magmoor Caverns:

While i know this is just flavour lorr that most likely had no thought put behind it other than to make the player curious... ye its cool

If theres something i hope MP4 does is tangibly expand how lore is done. I dont want to read some text only lol.

Give me side quests that expand on said lore, show me artwork and pics from other places in the galaxy, memories, do in-game videos, show me characters from said area, etc.

I agree with your prediction, it's hard for me to see prime 4 as a holiday title when they have more popular series to push

The idea of seeing what this game looks like sometime this year has me really excited. I don't expect it to look truly next-gen, but a sizeable upgrade over the Prime 3's presentation will already look good in my opinion. Just having HD visuals, which none of the other Prime games had, will make it look great. It has also been encouraging to see the kind of talent Retro has hired over the past few years.

Will it look mind-blowing like the first Prime game in 2002? Maybe not, but I think Nintendo/Retro understand the series and its prestige, and that they will put out the best possible product. It has been a long wait, and while it may be a bit premature to say this, I still think we're getting close to our first real look at Prime 4. We just need a bit more patience.

I would like to think so but it feels like Nintendo has more to pull out now vs the GC
Im not saying that nintendo necessarily will do it only because there is precedent, but mp4 is a game in which they invested massively. It certainly would not surprise me if it was a november title.

Last edited:
I agree with your prediction, it's hard for me to see prime 4 as a holiday title when they have more popular series to push
I feel that it is worth mentioning that, as far as games developed internally by Nintendo or their subsidiaries, Nintendo is ... actually weirdly inconsistent with holiday releases? It's pretty much been Smash and Pokemon caring the holidays and that's it. Not to say those aren't Nintendo games or that they aren't first party, but especially with Pokemon's cross-brand promotion it makes things a bit complicated when looking at a year where Nintendo themselves (or a subsidiary) might have to supply a holiday game.

I guess I'm saying that while there's not much precedent for it, Nintendo releasing a holiday game, even if it's part of a smaller first party series, wouldn't surprise me much, either. Not unlike Xenoblade 2 being a holiday game, in a year where Switch didn't have Pokemon or Smash.

I feel that it is worth mentioning that, as far as games developed internally by Nintendo or their subsidiaries, Nintendo is ... actually weirdly inconsistent with holiday releases? It's pretty much been Smash and Pokemon caring the holidays and that's it. Not to say those aren't Nintendo games or that they aren't first party, but especially with Pokemon's cross-brand promotion it makes things a bit complicated when looking at a year where Nintendo themselves (or a subsidiary) might have to supply a holiday game.

I guess I'm saying that while there's not much precedent for it, Nintendo releasing a holiday game, even if it's part of a smaller first party series, wouldn't surprise me much, either. Not unlike Xenoblade 2 being a holiday game, in a year where Switch didn't have Pokemon or Smash.
i think when people say "holiday title" they mean the november title. MP4 will absolutely be released in the "holiday period" but that doesnt means it will be november.

Tho i strongly agree with you in this regard, they have released much weaker games in this time period, like xenoblade and hyrule warriors.

I completely agree, and in fact, I once remarked upon this very scan, to a somewhat obsessive extent!

Reading boatloads of lore is one of the things I'm most looking forward to in Prime 4.

Anything is possible. Nintendo might want a short window (ie 3-6 months) between Prime 1 and Prime 4. I think they DEFINITELY want a short window between the next time they talk about the Prime series and the time we'll be playing something from the Prime series. I think it's very possible we might be playing both of them this year. If Retro did indeed start work on Prime 4 a couple months before they announced the reboot, that would be a five year development cycle.

Nintendo clearly have hopes of making Metroid more popular though. Both Prime and Prime 2 were November releases. I think a lot of it depends on if they have something ready. Stuff like DK and Mario are just rumors at this point. Though obviously they're being worked on, we don't know if anything will be ready for this year. If Prime 4 is ready and nothing else is, they're going to release Prime 4.

The idea of seeing what this game looks like sometime this year has me really excited. I don't expect it to look truly next-gen, but a sizeable upgrade over the Prime 3's presentation will already look good in my opinion. Just having HD visuals, which none of the other Prime games had, will make it look great. It has also been encouraging to see the kind of talent Retro has hired over the past few years.

Will it look mind-blowing like the first Prime game in 2002? Maybe not, but I think Nintendo/Retro understand the series and its prestige, and that they will put out the best possible product. It has been a long wait, and while it may be a bit premature to say this, I still think we're getting close to our first real look at Prime 4. We just need a bit more patience.

A lot of the artists, animators, and engineers that worked on the Prime series are still there. It's going to look and run beautiful even on old tech.

I really hope this retcons the Prime Trilogy to fit better with the 2D Metroid games
It's impossible to fit in with the 2D games when almost all of sakamoto's metroid games post super have massive retcons or plot holes that can't even fit in with each other

I wouldn't consider games released post-black Friday to be holiday titles personally, most shopping is done by the.

It's impossible to fit in with the 2D games when almost all of sakamoto's metroid games post super have massive retcons or plot holes that can't even fit in with each other
What would you consider to be among the worst offenders?

Back
Top Bottom