• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

top 10 anime twists:
wyywlp.png
My god I want this so bad now lmao

please god, dont let anyone from retro studios find this forum or devs gonna get depressed
it's probably first time in Human History, in Which Twitter is extremely positive, surrounding a product, heck even youtubers who aren't Nintendo youtubers are praising it.

it's probably first time in Human History, in Which Twitter is extremely positive, surrounding a product, heck even youtubers who aren't Nintendo youtubers are praising it.
It’s hard to be negative over Metroid Prime. It’s one of those things where Retro or the series hasn’t done anything to garner negative attention.

please god, dont let anyone from retro studios find this forum or devs gonna get depressed

Eh, the reaction here has been mostly positive. I also haven't noticed any criticism that crosses the line from constructive to toxic.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, nearly everyone here's reacted positively toward the reveal, with the more "critical" impressions essentially boiling down to wishing we'd gotten a look at more of the game. Praise The Process!

The "Remember me?" being short for "Remember me as the main villain of Metroid Prime 4: Beyond that you faced earlier in the timeline?" would be kino. Bravo Sakamoto! Bravo Tanabe!
The “I hate you Samus! I will never help you! I wouldn’t help you even if you were being attacked by the former Little Birdie-turned Ridley!” line is gonna hit straight in the feels.

Funniest was one user i saw at Era forum that started raging on Nintendo for making Switch 2 so weak because he thought all the footage of Prime 4 was from Switch 2.

....very glad I don't frequent Era like that these days lol

Sparks of hope looks worse than the first. There is no way someone think it isn't a Switch 1 game. The others however....

There were definitely some people saying this, even a couple of journalists too. To me, the image quality is better but the art style change is another topic really.

The “I hate you Samus! I will never help you! I wouldn’t help you even if you were being attacked by the former Little Birdie-turned Ridley!” line is gonna hit straight in the feels.
Brock, I consider you to be among the biggest Anthony Higgs fans on Fami, so a part of me hopes this comes to pass just for you, my friend.

Eh, the reaction here has been mostly positive. I also haven't noticed any criticism that crosses the line from constructive yo toxic.

From what I've seen, nearly everyone here's reacted positively toward the reveal, with the more "critical" impressions essentially boiling down to wishing we'd gotten a look at more of the game. Praise The Process!
some pages ago almost half of the posts were all responses to the same user, it must have been the record of the ignore function,thats why even with just 3-4 users not liking the game it gave the impression the overall reception was negative

Interesting. I feel the one of the right has a way more pronounced shape that is more closely associated with "video game women" (broad hips and bust, slim waist). But the shoulders plus head on it also make it more tanky. Weird!
Forget everything I said earlier. This is what I wanted 😍

it's 68,000 likes to 971 dislikes so yeah.....
Isn't that not the actual amount of dislikes tho? Google removed the public view of dislikes and the way people track dislikes is by an extension of 3rd party apps which all communicate I thought. As in, the only dislikes tracked are the ones from the users who bother to use the extensions and apps.
Ok it's what I thought - take a look at the description:

"This extension aims to restore power to users by using a combination of archived like and dislike data, as well as the likes and dislikes made by extension users to show the most accurate ratings."

This only shows archives dislikes + dislikes left by extension users. This isn't an accurate metric.

it's 68,000 likes to 971 dislikes so yeah.....
I think casual audiences and hardcore Nintendo fans are extremely pleased.

But from what i have been reading there seems to be a lot of disappointment surrounding the game graphics and outdates gameplay.

The discussion in more hardcore gaming forums or the internet is that the game either looks way too good and Nintendo are actually showcasing the Switch 2 hardware and this is the best the Switch 2 can do.

Meanwhile there's a group of people feeling upset over the dated Graphics of the Switch and Nintendo are holding Retro backs and that this should have been a Switch 2 title, and also how despite 7 years in development, this is the best they could show, which is strange, since the game most likely started development in 2020-2021.

It's overall strange, since Twitter has been nothing more than absolute positivity.

But i think it's pessimism, since people have this weird outlook, that Nintendo hates Metroid and would rather sees it fail.

At the end, both sides will be happy and praise the game at the end, Since both Switch and Switch 2 owners will be able to enjoy the game.

The planet with the trees at the end reads visually as a prehistoric area, what with the gigantic fern-like trees, the cascading waterfalls (think Cascade Kingdom from Super Mario Odyssey) and the pterodactyl-like flying creatures. BTW imagine fighting an adult version of those as a boss!
So this aesthetic could give slightly more credence to the time idea that Tanabe wanted to explore.

Sparks of hope looks worse than the first. There is no way someone think it isn't a Switch 1 game. The others however....
IIRC even journalists like Jason Schreier and Imran Khan seemed to suggest/hint that it was running on more powerful hardware when it was first revealed

IIRC even journalists like Jason Schreier and Imran Khan seemed to suggest/hint that it was running on more powerful hardware when it was first revealed
Sadly, Covid changed the plan of countless of publishers and developers.

Since i fully believe that a Pro system was in it's way, but was cancelled, because the huge success of the Switch and also how developing for 2 different SKU, wouldn't be worth it, with Covid being a lingering behind them.

There's a possibility the reason the Switch 2 seems way more capable then we though is because Nintendo want's to fully invest and make the system seem as a huge upgrade and a system that can be seen as NG.

Please do not insult other members. - Lord Azrael, DecoReturns, BassForever
lol, that person who was complaining non-stop about the game here is now on the Hardware thread still complaining about the game. What a loser

I'd be happy with Sylux having some kind of hopefully well-written motivation and background, but I don't want them to be related to Samus or old friends. Our most recent big bad in Dread was already a personal encounter for Samus, so having another one in a similar vein so soon would feel too formulaic and convenient for me.

That said, with Sylux having the Mochtroids and maybe time travel being a possibility, what if he's responsible for Metroid Prime/Dark Samus returning?

Listen I know this wouldn't run well on the current Switch.

But all of this talk about how Samus' ship looks like her helmet, makes me want to see RetroStudios make MP5 on Switch 2.
That incorporates a gameplay mechanic where she can call in her gun ship and merge with it (Samus Hulkbuster style) for larger enemies...

23d6a720fa40e3d7eb1b2f113985070d.png

Oh and everyone really should go watch the direct feed videos on Nintendo.com, the quality really is completely different!

lol, that person who was complaining non-stop about the game here is now on the Hardware thread still complaining about the game. What a loser
I don't agree with the name-calling.

But I do think that person needs to calm down a bit. They've been trashing Metroid Prime 4 consistently for the last 30 hours.

I think Samus's proportions have been adjusted so she looks less exaggerated at the beginning of the game. One thing I noticed with Metroid Dread was how the suit upgrades adjusted Samus's proportions as she progressed. Her legs appeared longer, her shoulders became larger and the general design of the suit became more angular, which correlated with her becoming more powerful. Perhaps Retro is doing a similar thing here.

One of the things that modern games like Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild have done so well in recent times is building a world where you feel like you're able to truly parse your place in the world from whence you came and landmarks you will eventually be reaching. Metroid Prime couldn't instill this feeling often due to the enclosed spaces of its many areas. The only part of any of the games that managed to evoke a similar feeling was Elysia because it was one big floating fortress you'd go in and out of, but otherwise it generally felt like you were more like a hunter descending deeper into an uncharted maze rather than an adventurer exploring a living world.

I think seeing that huge tree at the end of the trailer alongside the bridge-like construct in the distance has me thinking there's probably going to be a lot of moments where you'll be looking back while looking forward. I think the sense of progression in this one compared to the previous games will likely be like no other. That tree is probably going to be visible from many areas in the world.

so rn my thoughts are

Pros:
  • graphics are amazing, lots of really cool details going on and crazy to see something like this be pulled off on the switch
  • Art style is really good, you can see it's roots in the previous entries and how it was partially worked into prime remastered while still being very distinct between the suit designs, environments, and helmet ui
  • music sounds really exciting even from just the small trailer, the space pirate remix wasn't too note worthy but the sylux guitar segment and the forest music at the end were pretty good.
  • liking the new suit design, I know the bulky varia is very iconic but I'm liking the more agile proportions closer to fusion or dread.
  • Sylux looks awesome, they really delivered on his hd debut
Cons:
  • while the graphics are mostly solid there are some small blemishes such as some compressed textures and aliasing however they're not a big deal plus we're hopefully getting a switch 2 version.
  • combat looks a little disappointing. similar to the art style I was hoping for something new but rooted in the previous games but it looks like it's 1:1. to be fair our only glimpses are from small segments at the start of game so its always possible significant changes are saved for later in the game.
  • honestly this is more of a nitpick and doesn't really effect my opinion of the game but some of the space pirate animations look kinda bad, like the morphball door explosion and drop pod scenes are cool in theory but I felt the execution wasn't quite there.

Ok it's what I thought - take a look at the description:

"This extension aims to restore power to users by using a combination of archived like and dislike data, as well as the likes and dislikes made by extension users to show the most accurate ratings."

This only shows archives dislikes + dislikes left by extension users. This isn't an accurate metric.
given the sampling size, it's gonna be pretty accurate I'd say

You can preserve the essence of a game while changing it or evolving it in many ways.

Zelda just presented their vision of this idea in this in the very same Direct and Doom Dark Ages did a week ago.

Using the same enemies, guns, and animations from two decades ago is bleak to me.

Whatever, I'm done now, this trailer just makes me so sad. It looks like creative stagnation bordering on creative death. Hopefully there's just any originality in the rest of the game.
I don't think we can exclude the possibility of some innovation just based on the current teaser, which, well, was very short and only showed a little of the combat.
And even if there isn't, fans still asked for Metroid Prime, and they got Metroid Prime.
Zelda is even a funny comparison, since a large part of the fanbase is upset with the new direction of the series, missing old style games, it's definitely not possible to please everyone.

given the sampling size, it's gonna be pretty accurate I'd say
What's the sample size? We don't know how many people with the extension watched this video, it doesn't track that. 5 million people have used the extension according to their downloads, but billions of people use YouTube. Out of those 5 million, what are the chances only the dislikes left were by them so the count is accurate?

Personal stuff:

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

If it's a Marce-chan post, I know it's gonna be a fun and fuzzy read, and I'm gonna like it.
Ohh Aurc 🥺🥺💖💖💖 that was just so sweet 😭💖 thank you very much, you're an amazing person ❤️‍🩹🫂
In case you missed it: link to the uncompressed trailer, straight from Nintendo :

Oh well NOW I see what it actually looks like. It's stunning y'all. I think it's some steps above MPR and it's pushing way more than we were allowed to see.
With this reveal, when do we think the game releases? And when do we think Prime 2 and 3 come to Switch relative to Beyond?
With Princess Peach Showtime receiving less information than MP4B and coming in early 2024, and with Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door being announced in September for "2024" and releasing in May, I think the game is coming next spring. May is my bet, and Switch 2 is March with 3D Mario.
So, some thoughts I've been having, as more things catch my eye...

Are those two breeds of Space Pirates blasting at each other? Perhaps the crew rolling with Sylux is its own splinter faction?

Would make sense if the Pirates are quite a bit more fractured after losing both their "home world" in Prime 3, as well as most of their leadership dying (again) on Zebes after Super.

It would also do a lot to possibly explain why the means to create Mochtroid still exists.

I'm really curious to see where in the timeline they'll place it.
Just follow Federation Force? Starting right after 3? Making the final amendment between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2? After everything?
Crazy there's now speculation, if this is Switch 2 footage and not Base Switch.
Makes me curios seeing peoples reaction over the NG Switch.

The two extremes of people either saying the graphics are underwhelming and saying it's a Switch 2 game.
they really gonna release this without a hunters remaster first, most people gonna be really confused about who the fuck is sylux
I wish they'd make it an NSO game.
so this is a crazy assumpiton but is it possible that the Jungle area has no doors and is completely seamless?
That's what the vibe of that segment said to me, tbh. Feels like an open area and from there you go to other places with the maze-like structure.
Maybe it does the non-X Xenoblade thingy of "semi-open world"? I mean obviously vastly different from Xenoblade but that applied to Metroid Prime formula.

That's what we thought after the game came out... But by E3 2021 there were tons of people saying it was looking too good to be on the Switch and even Jason Schreier hinting at lol.

Splatoon 3 was another case of "it's running on the Switch 2!!" on the first trailer and then after people saw more of the game they acted like it was ugly for some bizarre reason.

What's the sample size? We don't know how many people with the extension watched this video, it doesn't track that. 5 million people have used the extension according to their downloads, but billions of people use YouTube. Out of those 5 million, what are the chances only the dislikes left were by them so the count is accurate?
that's how sampling works. it's like exit polling, a sample of the people who watch the video are giving their vote and it's extrapolated. with 5M downloads on chrome alone (and this api is also pulling from firefox, edge, Opera, userscript, and even mobile) that's a pretty fine, I think.

that's how sampling works. it's like exit polling, a sample of the people who watch the video are giving their vote and it's extrapolated. with 5M downloads on chrome alone (and this api is also pulling from firefox, edge, Opera, userscript, and even mobile) that's a pretty fine, I think.
There's examples out there of the extension not being really accurate, almost being off by 2x. I know Linus ain't exactly the best guy, but it was the example that came to mind. This blew up 2 years ago when the extension/3rd party apps first came out and were talked about more.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgTU5BkagAAIE-I?format=jpg&name=large hopefully this embeds... and it didn't! Should still be accessible via browser without a Twitter account so whatever.

Anyways, not that I think the game's reception is actually 70k likes to a billion dislikes, but extensions and 3rd party dislike apps are not a reliable source of data.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Ohh Aurc 🥺🥺💖💖💖 that was just so sweet 😭💖 thank you very much, you're an amazing person ❤️‍🩹🫂

Oh well NOW I see what it actually looks like. It's stunning y'all. I think it's some steps above MPR and it's pushing way more than we were allowed to see.

With Princess Peach Showtime receiving less information than MP4B and coming in early 2024, and with Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door being announced in September for "2024" and releasing in May, I think the game is coming next spring. May is my bet, and Switch 2 is March with 3D Mario.

I'm really curious to see where in the timeline they'll place it.
Just follow Federation Force? Starting right after 3? Making the final amendment between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2? After everything?

The two extremes of people either saying the graphics are underwhelming and saying it's a Switch 2 game.

I wish they'd make it an NSO game.

That's what the vibe of that segment said to me, tbh. Feels like an open area and from there you go to other places with the maze-like structure.
Maybe it does the non-X Xenoblade thingy of "semi-open world"? I mean obviously vastly different from Xenoblade but that applied to Metroid Prime formula.

That's what we thought after the game came out... But by E3 2021 there were tons of people saying it was looking too good to be on the Switch and even Jason Schreier hinting at lol.

Splatoon 3 was another case of "it's running on the Switch 2!!" on the first trailer and then after people saw more of the game they acted like it was ugly for some bizarre reason.
I think the most logical place in the timelike it could take place in assuming we finally have a consistent timeline is between other M and fusion

If they were able to endure the "fucking Donkey Kong" episode, this should seem like small potatoes, honestly.

Imagine you and your team working your ass to deliver that masterpiece of a game and the general response being so muted due to it not being some other game that some (very few, considering the Metroid series sales) people wanted.

Then you release that said game and ta-daaa! People are still negative!

(This is just a joke. I know the reception for both DKTF and the MP4 trailer was mostly positive, but Retro always deliver and should have more prestige, or at least the benefit of the doubt)

Back
Top Bottom