• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

They were my main the multiplayer, if anything I'm embarrassed it took me this long to notice!

Ooh, that's a good catch. I guess it's not too hard to land on a similar idea, but I wonder if NST had access to this stuff when they were coming up with the other hunters.
If we're to believe the account of Richard Vorodi (the story designer for Hunters), a "great backstory" exists for Sylux, with "a lot of threaded storytelling in there, that made using the character in other games a good fit." He also indicated that he knew Sylux's true identity, but did not elaborate.[4] Vorodi added in a later interview that there were "rumblings" of Sylux having a further role in the Metroid Prime franchise, and that NST were excited when they discovered his cameo in Corruption. He suggested that Sylux was Tanabe's favorite of the Bounty Hunters.

(Borrowed from Metroid Wiki, obviously.)

So, who knows how much of this all holds up, all these years later, but it wouldn't surprise me if Tanabe latched onto this character like a Metroid, because he liked what was there and wanted to help bring it to life and have him fit in.

I think it's funny how some people think the game looks bad while others doubt it's running on the Switch.

As a society, we've got to pick one lane here.

they really gonna release this without a hunters remaster first, most people gonna be really confused about who the fuck is sylux
People could believe it's a brand new character and it won't change anything for them lol, nothing to be confused about

I don't know if anyone has already pointed this out:

nam48y.jpg

Some random thoughts:

I'm guessing Sylux is the Dark Samus equivalent of this game. There will be some great boss fights with him, but I would think the final boss would be something a bit bigger and more intimidating.

What if there are some sections where you play as Sylux? I doubt this will happen, but if they were short and didn't interrupt the flow too much, it could be really fun.

so this is a crazy assumpiton but is it possible that the Jungle area has no doors and is completely seamless?
I thought about this. At the very least, I think we will get much more open areas, unlike the many enclosed spaces in Metroid Prime 1.

Definitely a cool theory. If that were to happen, it would kinda make the Prime series and mainline series feel more connected.
I think Tanabe and Sakamoto are going that direction, given that
Samus Returns introduced the new final boss, Protean Ridley
and bridged the gap between Prime 3 and Super Metroid.

Theories on Sylux's true identity?

My money's on Jason Todd--no matter what the devs say prior to release. /s
It's samus from the future that goes back in time after getting betrayed by the galactic federation and wants to destroy them with the power of metroid

I've been thinking it's Ian Malkovich since 2010. Sylux hates the Federation and uses stolen technology from them. Technology like the Federation ship where they let Ian "die".
I think we're unlikely to see any plot details overtly relating to Other M. Entertaining the idea that it's Ian though, Beyond would have to take place after Other M, as it would be weird for Samus to have encountered evil Ian (presumably killed him too) before, and not told Adam about it.

I wonder what it'll look like on the Switch 2?

Will it be just be a crystal clear 4K version, or will Retro be spending the remainder of their time before launch polishing the Switch 2 version with additional lighting, reflection, particle effects etc.

The safe bet is 4K upscaled in Quality Mode (1440p internal resolution) and vastly improved draw distances providing a crystal clear 4K version of the Switch version without any sacrifices or tricks having to be used on the Switch to maintain 60fps.

However Retro are perfectionists and I believe they went all out on the Wii versions of Metroid Prime 1 and 2. So I wouldn't put it past them to have improved reflections, lighting and particle effects too. Although I'd waver on Raytracing, but if anyone can do Raytracing at 4K/60 its Retro.

I think we're unlikely to see any plot details overtly relating to Other M. Entertaining the idea that it's Ian though, Beyond would have to take place after Other M, as it would be weird for Samus to have encountered evil Ian (presumably killed him too) before, and not told Adam about it.
You are right, but it could be Ian without Samus ever knowing, like Dark Samus' birth in Metroid Prime. Or involve time travel shenaningans, given Tanabe's comments about Sylux and time travel in 2015 and the Metroid Prime 4: Beyond logo thingy looking like a pocket sized blackhole either developed or being investigated by the federation scientists in the trailer.

If we're to believe the account of Richard Vorodi (the story designer for Hunters), a "great backstory" exists for Sylux, with "a lot of threaded storytelling in there, that made using the character in other games a good fit." He also indicated that he knew Sylux's true identity, but did not elaborate.[4] Vorodi added in a later interview that there were "rumblings" of Sylux having a further role in the Metroid Prime franchise, and that NST were excited when they discovered his cameo in Corruption. He suggested that Sylux was Tanabe's favorite of the Bounty Hunters.

(Borrowed from Metroid Wiki, obviously.)

So, who knows how much of this all holds up, all these years later, but it wouldn't surprise me if Tanabe latched onto this character like a Metroid, because he liked what was there and wanted to help bring it to life and have him fit in.
Makes sense. Even going by what made it into Hunters alone, Sylux having their own ship makes the character stand out compared to the other hunters. If NST really did put in that much work, that could be the easiest launchpad to use for the post-phazon games.

I've been thinking it's Ian Malkovich since 2010. Sylux hates the Federation and uses stolen technology from them. Technology like the Federation ship where they let Ian "die".
If it  has to be someone we've already seen, then this is one of the very few picks that won't feel like an asspull. Regardless, Ian is a bit too lore-heavy of a choice, I think. I'd prefer Sylux to be someone (something?) completely new.

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet that what they've shown with this trailer is hardly indicative of any of the new, exciting gameplay the overwhelming majority of the experience will bestow upon us. If this whole thing really does end up being a safe and dull sequel with ancient gameplay, my disappointment will be immeasurable, but it'd be utterly asinine for me to believe it would be. I have zero reason to think so. As always, I'm Trusting The Process. I don't think it's wise to make extreme judgements until we see more of the game.

I will say, however: I know you've been largely negative on this reveal, but I still see where you're coming from with a lot of your points. My imagination for what this game's initial trailer would look like painted a substantially cooler picture. Like, it was way the fuck out there (and that's mostly my own fault, to be fair). I envisioned Samus in a brand new suit, but we saw the Varia again (and I don't like the new proportions). I expected to see her absolutely dominating enemies with exciting new combat maneuvers, but she slowly shot her basic Power Beam, and did little else. I figured we'd see Sylux getting up to some mysterious, intriguing shenanigans that would make us fans run wild with our theories, but he just stood there with a couple Metroids / Mochtroids. It's the Space Pirates again too, as you've noted. I thought we'd get a first look at a new enemy faction with strong lore implications.

It's all my own fault for having sky high expectations, and I should've accounted for the possibility that the initial trailer would consist of them holding their cards close to their chest. At least we finally saw the game, that's what matters to me.

I'm relating to all of the joy, but understanding some of the "Wait, that's it?" reactions too. The full spectrum of feelings, lol. I consider it a good thing! I think it's healthy. It all comes from a place of love for Metroid. I've spent years waiting for this moment, so some complexity of feelings in the aftermath is reasonable.

I know you know the "good" trailer is coming where they absolutely blow our socks off. The Process is doing its thing 😀

I'm actually not even sure I'll watch the next trailer. It will depend on how far out from release it is. If it's just a few months, I'll hold off. But if it's 6 months to a year I'll allow myself one more look.

Texas' game development scene truly is a revolving door, I've seen talk before about Retro picking up talent from the likes of Bluepoint and Arkane Austin, but it feels poetic that they've got former id Software people on the game as well. Doom 2016 kinda felt like it had its own share of Prime influence in it.

and also i really wish people who keep speculating whether or not it's Switch 2 would actually play Switch games
TIL I don't play Switch games

To be clear I know Prime Remastered looks phenomenal and that this is at a similar level. I get it. But it's that last shot in the huge jungle area that had me asking questions because Switch games of that scale (like TotK or XB3) have been 30fps and this one was 60. I'm not comparing it to rough third party ports or anything, I'm comparing it to Nintendo's own output.

Now if it turns out that environment is half built out of pre-rendered 2D panels layered out to simulate distance with parallax and atmospheric haze then there's my answer. But as it stands my jaw is just on the floor. This looks like a damn Xbone game to me.

I've never thought that Sylux needed a secret identity. Like... Metroid barely has much of an expanded cast list now, must less when Hunters released. If he's always supposed to have been someone long-time players would know, there's pretty much no one to choose. Like, who would it be? Gray Voice? Are we making all of Samus's dads evil now? Is Samus not allowed to have one good thing from her childhood?

I've never thought that Sylux needed a secret identity. Like... Metroid barely has much of an expanded cast list now, must less when Hunters released. If he's always supposed to have been someone long-time players would know, there's pretty much no one to choose. Like, who would it be? Gray Voice? Are we making all of Samus's dads evil now? Is Samus not allowed to have one good thing from her childhood?
ACAB (All Chozo Are Bad)

It’s disrespectful to Retro’s ability to say we saw switch 2 footage. If it was Naughty Dog people wouldn’t say that. Retro pushes Nintendo systems

so this is a crazy assumpiton but is it possible that the Jungle area has no doors and is completely seamless?

I was thinking about this yesterday as well. It would change the conventions of normally what we see in Metroid, which is doors that might also require you to backtrack once you've got some upgrade like missiles, a new beam, etc.

By removing the doors, you eliminate that barrier, which allows more freedom of exploration right away, but also introduces new issues. So the next question would then be how do you maintain that sense of Metroid in terms of level progression, but without doors?

Even going back to the original games, assets were always contained within a single room, and were loaded in and out of memory at will. But since it's integrated so hard into the franchise, despite if the technology allows it, keeping that backtracking nature that Metroid is known for would be difficult I think, especially to make it balanced, and still fun to explore.

Sylux doesn't really need an identity, but he needs some good motivation.

He's similar to a One Piece villain, someone whose been build up for near decades.
Like him achieving two loyal metroids and a loyal army of former space pirates, is absolute Aura.

He's someone that i can see becoming Nintendo most complex Villain, with the Visor, i can see the playes discovering his pasts and his hatreds against the federation forces.

On one hand, I do think one of the easiest ways to give Sylux some poignancy to Samus is to make her someone from her past. Make it personal, and so forth.

That said, I always thought it'd be better to go back to the beginning, and Samus's childhood. Because we almost never see anything from that lifetime of hers as a regular human girl, beyond what was in the Zero Manga manga, and that was just a "highlight" leading to the worst day of her life.

Sylux being an "unlucky childhood friend" of Samus that wasn't scooped up by kindly gay bird dads, but perhaps was taken in by the likes of the naughty Federation cell behind all the twisted stuff in Fusion and Other M, before making their escape? That's the kind of thing that would make for an interesting rivalry. And also justify their hatred for the Federation, because he saw the worst of it.

On one hand, I do think one of the easiest ways to give Sylux some poignancy to Samus is to make her someone from her past. Make it personal, and so forth.

That said, I always thought it'd be better to go back to the beginning, and Samus's childhood. Because we almost never see anything from that lifetime of hers as a regular human girl, beyond what was in the Zero Manga manga, and that was just a "highlight" leading to the worst day of her life.

Sylux being an "unlucky childhood friend" of Samus that wasn't scooped up by kindly gay bird dads, but perhaps was taken in by the likes of the naughty Federation cell behind all the twisted stuff in Fusion and Other M, before making their escape? That's the kind of thing that would make for an interesting rivalry. And also justify their hatred for the Federation, because he saw the worst of it.
If it means finally getting a game that touches upon Samus's childhood for more than ten seconds, I'll take it. The fact that most of Samus's backstory is in a broad strokes manga rather than any of the games has always bugged me.

Back
Top Bottom