• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

Crazy there's now speculation, if this is Switch 2 footage and not Base Switch.
Makes me curios seeing peoples reaction over the NG Switch.

Fidelity looks roughly on-par with Prime Remastered to me, so I just assumed Switch 1.

HOT DAMN.

Just like people have been posting Xenoblade Chronicles X gifs for almost a decade, we will be posting gifs of this game's lush, alien wildlife until 2033.
Gamers in 2010s: WiiU is such a shit console, Nintendo can't do good graphics!
Me: *posts environments from Xenoblade X*

Gamers in 2020s: Switch is such a shit console, Nintendo can't do good graphics!
Me: *posts environments from Prime 4*

. . . yeah I could see this being a thing. 🤣

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I don't really mind the change.

My personal assumption as to why they changed her proportions somewhat? Because Samus' varia suit -- especially in Prime -- has always been kind of funky, anatomically speaking. They most likely brought it closer in line with the 2D games so they can do more limber things with her in terms of animation.

Vaguely related:

Yeah this is where I stand with it too. I've always loved the Varia suit design but when it started going into 3D it started feeling less and less like a human body would fit in it. Not a male vs female bodytype thing, just.. human. The first thing I thought when I saw her stand up in the Prime4 trailer was "wow, that looks like a person in a suit now."

I love the Varia shoulders, I really do, but I appreciate them being toned down for a more realistic, athletic looking suit. Especially considering all the flips an shit

Fidelity looks roughly on-par with Prime Remastered to me, so I just assumed Switch 1.
For most people who didn't play Prime remaster, this looks like NG Switch gameplay, in some way.

It's been extremely fun seeing people reaction over the game, i now have a feeling that prime 4, might be a surprisingly successful game, it might be the TWP and Botw of NG Switch, since it's most likely cross gen.

it's absolutely switch 1, its fairly comparable to prime remastered with more noticeable aliasing when looking at samus in the background shots or looking at the space pirates during combat most likely due to extra things happening on screen. if this was running on hardware at least as powerful as a ps4 if not more that even has dlss, there would be little to no confusion.

So I've watched this trailer now a bunch of times and if i had a single nitpick so far, it'd be sound design. the Power Beam shot sounding exactly the same is sticking out to me the more I watch it. however, I do love the animations of the arm cannon. it's really beautifully done.

and also i really wish people who keep speculating whether or not it's Switch 2 would actually play Switch games so they can see this is just probably the best Switch can do. and it's great! it's been annoying watching Nintendo coverage over the last few years because everyone keeps saying "is this Switch Pro/2????" after every good-looking game. like Mario Odyssey was 2017; the Switch is very capable of great looking games.

Even though I agree with Aurc's post, the Dread suit and ZM's power suit are my overall favorites, so I'm not against designs with more "regular" proportions. I just think slimming down the varia suit is a bit weird when that's like, the chonky boi of suits!
Exactly! I like slimmer suits too, with the base Fusion Suit having always been my #1 fave. It's just... the Varia Suit isn't about that, it exists on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. It's bodacious in its sheer bulk, and now they've trimmed some of that away, so you're gonna get reactions from the fans who loved the (already perfect in the eyes of many) Varia Suit of the previous games.

I love their Dread designs, but their Samus Returns Varia Suit is my least favorite ever, next to Other M's. The shoulders just had no business being so comically massive, and they played up the green lights quite a bit, which I was similarly not the most fond of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Varia suit designs also just a result of the limits of sprites back in the early days, and a way for the designers to make Samus look at least somewhat more interesting than a typical character in a sidescrolling adventure of the time?

1280x720.jpg

When I see Samus in the original Metroid, she looks distinctive (also note we are led to believe Samus is not a woman when you're first playing Metroid), and wondered if the developers over time just evolved that shoulder look, and took it from there. Even looking at Super Metroid, they really went full bore with her pads over the original game:

super-metroid-beginning_feature.jpg

Just comparing the visor placement, the shoulder pads are much more broad, and sit higher in Super Metroid than in NES Metroid.

And then when it came time for Metroid Prime, her shoulders were definitely in her...prime:

metroid-prime-gamecube-72.jpg

Seemed like it was an early design choice based on the limits of technology at the time, and they worked around it (similar things have been said concerning Mario, and his look btw), followed by rolling with it.

Maybe I'm completing wrong on this, but that is how I see it, and why there is such variation in the Varia suits (heh).

they really gonna release this without a hunters remaster first, most people gonna be really confused about who the fuck is sylux
That really doesn’t matter. Prime 4 will probably outsell previous game that feature Sylux by a ton.

And even if they release the other prime games. I don’t think they’ll do as well as Prime Remastered. I have to figured they’ll just have a good intro for players.

It's weird to hear so many people expect DOOM shooting/combat mechanics. That's literally what those games are about. Shooting demons. Metroid focuses it's design on so many other aspects that DOOM does not. It's like expecting an RPG to have the combat mechanics of a Bayonetta game.
For me, adopting a bit of Doom's shooting would be great, because who doesn't love fun gunplay for when combat does arise (and it does). But what I REALLY wanted was Prime!Samus to get some of DoomGuy's movement from Doom Eternal, because I think that would be a better means to represent Samus's feats from 2D Metroid in a 3D space.

In Eternal, DoomGuy is zipping around, with movement options that would make the likes of Mario and Dante proud. Samus, our somersaulting, wall-jumping and (in Dread) air-dashing queen, should be doing that on this side too, in my humble opinion.

they really gonna release this without a hunters remaster first, most people gonna be really confused about who the fuck is sylux
Let's be honest: Sylux's involvement in Hunters and Fed Force basically had him be simply "there", and then acquire the Metroid in the latter.

This is the kind of thing you could include in a Yakuza-style "Story so far" cinematic bit the player can watch, and get up to speed.

I'm curious about the bridge visible in the distance in that last shot. I wonder what the (presumably long deceased) civilisation is like. Assuming it's not just Chozo again.

He's a random, a Jim Bob even. I played Hunters, and I still don't know anything about the bloke (if it's even a bloke?) You could tell people all about Sylux in a couple sentences of the prologue, and that's precisely what I expect them to do.

That song of the forest area is better than every piece of music from Metroid Dread. The more I listen to it the better it gets. Follows right behind the other Prime games.

I'm curious about the bridge visible in the distance in that last shot. I wonder what the (presumably long deceased) civilisation is like. Assuming it's not just Chozo again.

I'm also curious. Hell, I'm curious if there will be any locations from the last three Prime games that she might revisit since some time has passed.

Guess I have to replay the trilogy, which is something I've never done back to back, and only played Corruption once before.

Metroid Prime 4: To Infinity and Beyond

That made me realize how freaking wide Buzz's shoulders are. I mean, look at those things!!!

Buzz_Lightyear_Toy_Story.jpg

By contrast, when it came time for the Lightyear movie, his proportions are more...human:

au_homepage_lightyear_hero_r_30f7a87d.jpeg

But Toy vs. Human, so expect some variation I guess...

I mean I’ve beaten metroid prime hunters and I still don’t know who the fuck he is.
But he looks cool in the new trailer and he has a pretty cool electric guitar riff in his appearance so I don’t really need much else.
Raven beak was kind of the same, cool appearance and a super cool boss fight and he became one of the best metroid villains ever. I don’t need much else in a metroid game

Just saw a leak going around of the script of Prime 4

Here’s some Sylux dialogue:

Sylux to Samus:

It's always been about love and hate, now let me say I'm the biggest hater
I hate the way that you walk, the way that you talk
I hate the way that you dress
I hate the way you sneak diss, if I catch flight, it's gon' be direct

Powerful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Varia suit designs also just a result of the limits of sprites back in the early days, and a way for the designers to make Samus look at least somewhat more interesting than a typical character in a sidescrolling adventure of the time?

1280x720.jpg

When I see Samus in the original Metroid, she looks distinctive (also note we are led to believe Samus is not a woman when you're first playing Metroid), and wondered if the developers over time just evolved that shoulder look, and took it from there. Even looking at Super Metroid, they really went full bore with her pads over the original game:

Just comparing the visor placement, the shoulder pads are much more broad, and sit higher in Super Metroid than in NES Metroid.

And then when it came time for Metroid Prime, her shoulders were definitely in her...prime:

Seemed like it was an early design choice based on the limits of technology at the time, and they worked around it (similar things have been said concerning Mario, and his look btw), followed by rolling with it.

Maybe I'm completing wrong on this, but that is how I see it, and why there is such variation in the Varia suits (heh).
iirc the real reason for the big shoulders on the Varia suit is because of Metroid 2. Since the Gameboy was monochrome, they needed a way to indicate you got a new suit without being able to change colors; ergo, shoulder pads. After that it just kinda stuck

I mean I’ve beaten metroid prime hunters and I still don’t know who the fuck he is.
But he looks cool in the new trailer and he has a pretty cool electric guitar riff in his appearance so I don’t really need much else.
Raven beak was kind of the same, cool appearance and a super cool boss fight and he became one of the best metroid villains ever. I don’t need much else in a metroid game
Even in the clip without the music, straight up intimidating

I only got into Metroid with Dread, but I welcome a more sleek looking suit. Older suits look a little goofy to me because of the '80s sci-fi aesthetic it's got going on. I like it more clearly resembling a person (especially considering the metaphysical link Samus apparently has to her armour).

That said, I hope I never have to see the Zero Suit again.

Thanks for the links! Something that stuck out to me immediately: Metroid ran a lot smoother than Zelda, even though the former is farther out xD . Metroid ran at quite a confident 60FPS with occasional short drop, but Zelda looks like it hasn't solved the Link's Awakening overworld stutter yet.

This says nothing of course, optimisation is still happening on both games. I just thought it was funny and a testament to Retro's work.

Also, seeing the uncompressed version: there's reconstruction going on for sure. Rain on the gun + movement and you can see the fizzle. But it's not bad honestly, it's quite a stable looking image considering the output resolution - and especially because input resolution is probably even lower!

Curious if it's an in-house solution or FSR2.

And Mr. Raven Beak got his official introduction and lore in random tidbits tied to collection of all the items in Samus Returns. Something which I'm sure most of the game's players didn't see.

Sylux will be fine~!

I just randomly connected two dots I hadn't thought about in years.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but: Sylux's suit was a Federation power armor prototype, right?
And the shock coil, Sylux's signature weapon in hunters, drains its target of its health while replenishing that of its user.

...does that mean the Federation was trying to mimic metroids via technology? I always thought it was supposed to copy Samus' power suit, but them basing the suit on metroids makes way more sense.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but: Sylux's suit was a Federation power armor prototype, right?
And the shock coil, Sylux's signature weapon in hunters, drains its target of its health while replenishing that of its user.

...does that mean the Federation was trying to mimic metroids via technology? I always thought it was supposed to copy Samus' power suit, but them basing the suit on metroids makes way more sense.
Galaxy brain moment

Since his introduction, I always wondered if Sylux was going to be connected to Retro's old "Humetroid" idea.

Would do a lot to explain why the dude would want to "liberate" other Metroids from their usage at the hands of others, huh?

I’m now realizing that this game, even only counting the reboot, will have been in development for as long as the entire trilogy combined

They are COOKING. And thinking of that, I’m confident it’ll manifest in big changes we haven’t seen yet

Also, can we talk a bit about views? The trailer on the NOA youtube page has over 1.1 million views at this point. Echoes Of Wisdom sits around 2 million. Views aren't necessarily an indication of sales potential, but it's still kinda reassuring that MP4 manages to get a bit more than half the views of a new Zelda game.

Yeah, I'm aware that a 2D Zelda won't sell BOTW/TOTK numbers, but EOW is very likely going to outsell the best selling Metroid game anyway, so it's still kinda neat that MP4 is managing to keep up

That song of the forest area is better than every piece of music from Metroid Dread. The more I listen to it the better it gets. Follows right behind the other Prime games.
This was my exact reaction as well. We are so back.

iirc the real reason for the big shoulders on the Varia suit is because of Metroid 2. Since the Gameboy was monochrome, they needed a way to indicate you got a new suit without being able to change colors; ergo, shoulder pads. After that it just kinda stuck

Good to know! Reminds me of the Snow in Phendrana Drifts on GCN vs. Remastered on Switch.

They were probably designed they way they were because of the 480p resolution, and non-HD assets of the time. It was simply easier to see the snow with the lower quality assets, and resolution.

Bobby Schroeder recented post a bit on her blog about how people really overthink how hard it would be introduce the IDW Sonic characters into the games proper and yeah I feel like what she said there very much applies to Sylux. You really don't need to know much about the guy outside of him hating Samus and the Federation for whatever reason and also stealing a Metroid at some point, I kinda doubt anything from Prime Hunters or Federation Force will factor into this game's narrative outside of him.

Forever Entertainment being the developer of Donkey Kong: Country Returns HD made me think a bit about the Metroid Prime 2 and 3 hypothetical remasters.

At first, I thought they would be hagi emulator releases, just like Pikmin 1+2.
On the other hand, Nintendo invested not long ago into Forever Entertainment, being Donkey Kong Country Returns HD their first Nintendo IP partnership. This is no ordinary emulation and it goes above and beyond what Pikmin 1+2 did (realtime texture hacking, Input changes) as it includes the levels introduced in the 3DS port.

Should they re-release Metroid Prime 2 and 3, I'm sure they would want to build them upon the versions from Prime Trilogy, with lore, balancing and control Input changes. Prime 3 would need a complete input overhaul and I'm pretty sure it would be easier to do with Retro's development tools than extreme emulation hacking. Upgrading the visuals would be easier too, opening the door to visual enhancements beyond rendering resolution and bigger textures. And guess what! They just announced they've been porting and developing the definitive version of another Wii Retro Studios game.

1280x720.jpg

To be clear, when I refer back to Samus's Metroid 1 design, I'm talking about the illustrations external to the game, since they give us a more detailed picture to work with. I've always dug this art for instance, which makes her look like a retro robot (or a metro android, cue Fantastic Four ending):
I reckon most of us are aware the iconic shoulder spheres were originally born of the Game Boy's color limitations. Metroid 2 needed to convey a change in appearance between the Power Suit and the Varia Suit, so that's what they went with, and the rest is history. I'm glad they kept the big shoulders around for Super and beyond, as they're now an iconic, nigh inseparable visual element of the character.

Galaxy brain moment
They were my main the multiplayer, if anything I'm embarrassed it took me this long to notice!

Since his introduction, I always wondered if Sylux was going to be connected to Retro's old "Humetroid" idea.

Would do a lot to explain why the dude would want to "liberate" other Metroids from their usage at the hands of others, huh?
Ooh, that's a good catch. I guess it's not too hard to land on a similar idea, but I wonder if NST had access to this stuff when they were coming up with the other hunters.

Crazy there's now speculation, if this is Switch 2 footage and not Base Switch.
Makes me curios seeing peoples reaction over the NG Switch.

I mean, at least IGN just asked Digital Foundry about this, whereas Eurogamer asked freakin' Yasunori Ichinose if Monster Hunter Rise was running on Switch Pro.

Back
Top Bottom