• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

I have the official shirt with the Famicom Disk system cover to remind me of the old days when Nintendo still made games.

I have this shirt, not an official one, but it glows in the dark, too!

It's the Samus Returns Metroid amiibo! 😱 It's cute

Folks, the Prime 4 Varia Suit is beginning to grow on me. I still have my nitpicks, but I think it's well proportionally balanced overall. If you zoom in on the Corruption Varia in this pic and look at it next to Beyond's, it becomes quite apparent that while the shoulders are respectably large, the legs are comparatively skinny, giving off somewhat of a "Did Samus skip leg day?" vibe. Beyond's Varia Suit more evenly distributes the bulk: yeah they took some shoulder away, but they put it into torso and thighs, making it clear that Samus has been training every muscle group evenly. This is excellent for the lore, so I support it. #PTP

Folks, the Prime 4 Varia Suit is beginning to grow on me. I still have my nitpicks, but I think it's well proportionally balanced overall. If you zoom in on the Corruption Varia in this pic and look at it next to Beyond's, it becomes quite apparent that while the shoulders are respectably large, the legs are comparatively skinny, giving off somewhat of a "Did Samus skip leg day?" vibe. Beyond's Varia Suit more evenly distributes the bulk: yeah they took some shoulder away, but they put it into torso and thighs, making it clear that Samus has been training every muscle group evenly. This is excellent for the lore, so I support it. #PTP

Samus switching from isolation to compound exercises between Corruption and Beyond is probably the strongest indicator that she is about to or has already hit her 30s in the Prime subseries so she can't make time for a full workout anymore.

Samus switching from isolation to compound exercises between Corruption and Beyond is probably the strongest indicator that she is about to or has already hit her 30s in the Prime subseries so she can't make time for a full workout anymore.
I tried going through every manner of quirky response to this in my head, but I'm coming up short. Beyond being short for "Beyond 20s" is diabolical. Poor Samus.

Willingly rolling on the floor in your 30s is wild to me... Beyond my Prime with this baseline back ache.

On a more serious note, I want to just mention how much I love the new HUD design they have cooked up for this.

MetroidPrime4Beyond-scrn-04.jpg

The designs of the enemy proximity indicator and map + compass especially are great, and the whole thing just looks super clean overall with all the nice little details. Peak HUD design.

The idea of Samus being in her 30s in the Prime games messes with my personal headcanon of the timeline. Zero Mission to Other M is Samus in her 20s, I will not budge on this. Fusion and Dread are the universe mocking her for thinking for even a second that she's finally got shit figured out now that she's in her 30s by throwing X Parasites and surprise evil dads at her.

2 New Metroid games and a fantastic remaster is surreal seeing.

I’m curious once Prime 4 is released, we might see a TV show or Movie, since it’s a property that would make for a really nice adaptation, both in live action and animation.

I feel its a little bit of unfair to compare Metroid Prime FPS with FPS that focus more on combat like Halo, Doom etc. It would be like comparing Zelda combat to Elden Ring. Its not the main focus of Zelda and Metroid games.

Brie Larson is just waiting for the call.
Shame she’s incredible dislike, which is weird, since it’s not her fault marvel makes some mediocre movies.

Also she’s surprisingly a real one, since she’s the only celebrity that actually owned a Wii U.

Shame she’s incredible dislike, which is weird, since it’s not her fault marvel makes some mediocre movies.

Also she’s surprisingly a real one, since she’s the only celebrity that actually owned a Wii U.

Generally, those folks that attack / criticize / similar things her for portraying a powerful super-heroine can go and kick some rocks.
I don't give a flying fuck what these people think. ;D

On a more serious note, I want to just mention how much I love the new HUD design they have cooked up for this.

MetroidPrime4Beyond-scrn-04.jpg

The designs of the enemy proximity indicator and map + compass especially are great, and the whole thing just looks super clean overall with all the nice little details. Peak HUD design.
Looking at how the missiles icon is superimposed over what we presume to be the d-pad UI, I wonder if you can toggle between, say, missiles and super missiles. Press → to toggle missiles, press →→ to swap and toggle super missiles.

I don't think the other dpad shortcuts are for other missiles. But we'll see!

You misunderstand, they're talking about that the Missile-Icon has a second layer beneath.

Indicating that you might be able to switch between different missle types by pressing the left D-pad multiple times.

Gotta be honest my first reaction was this looks kinda eh. It doesn't really seem like a big improvement on Prime Remastered, which is fine, but that game's lighting doesn't really seem like it fits perfectly for a new game. The combat ... just looks like Prime Remastered. The logo and name look like a fan game.

I'm probably just being too cynical but I don't know
I felt the same way.

It immediately felt like Prime One-Plus. Could be DLC 😂

That’s “fine” but it doesn’t seem like the step change we all imagined bc of Retro’s strong reputation.

Prime 4 doesn’t look like a generation defining game.

You misunderstand, they're talking about that the Missile-Icon has a second layer beneath.

Indicating that you might be able to switch between different missle types by pressing the left D-pad multiple times.
I'm talking about another post. Should've replied to it! My mistake

I will never forget seeing Auron in FF X, and then going on reading on the FF Wiki's that he's supposed to be 35...

Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

final-fantasy-x-auron.gif

cue Boss music

"The real Challenge Fami is not how old you are, but what you do with the age you are given. Never let up, and never give in to your age for it is only just a number. You are in control of your destiny!

Fami Wonderful Ones, line up!!!"

tumblr_mt4xurUUfp1s8ouhxo3_500.gif

(Might have gone a little overboard on the Theatrics...)

It's probably too late to hope for tweaks to the movement (ie. making Samus faster), as that will all be set in stone at this point, but I really hope she gets some cool movement upgrades - multiple air dashes etc. Will work well with lock on-targeting and just Metroid-style progression generally.
Other than that - I realllllly hope they fix the pirate animations. They're distracting.

Maybe with all the bird and Metroid DNA she's got a life expectancy of 50? /s
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Btw, Rich from digital foundry commented on the 'metroid prime 4's trailer running on a newer hardware' thing. I know most of us here, are past that point, but in any case Richard's response was very on point in my opinion.

Nintendo life's link: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...-4-beyond-trailer-was-not-running-on-switch-2

Yeah, all the aliasing is kind of a dead giveaway of a Switch 1 game every time.

Feels like people sometimes only think of the Switch as the Stardew Valley machine and get shocked every time there's a new Nintendo first-party game with a big budget, lol.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Ohh Aurc 🥺🥺💖💖💖 that was just so sweet 😭💖 thank you very much, you're an amazing person ❤️‍🩹🫂

Oh well NOW I see what it actually looks like. It's stunning y'all. I think it's some steps above MPR and it's pushing way more than we were allowed to see.

With Princess Peach Showtime receiving less information than MP4B and coming in early 2024, and with Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door being announced in September for "2024" and releasing in May, I think the game is coming next spring. May is my bet, and Switch 2 is March with 3D Mario.

I'm really curious to see where in the timeline they'll place it.
Just follow Federation Force? Starting right after 3? Making the final amendment between Metroid 1 and Metroid 2? After everything?

The two extremes of people either saying the graphics are underwhelming and saying it's a Switch 2 game.

I wish they'd make it an NSO game.

That's what the vibe of that segment said to me, tbh. Feels like an open area and from there you go to other places with the maze-like structure.
Maybe it does the non-X Xenoblade thingy of "semi-open world"? I mean obviously vastly different from Xenoblade but that applied to Metroid Prime formula.

That's what we thought after the game came out... But by E3 2021 there were tons of people saying it was looking too good to be on the Switch and even Jason Schreier hinting at lol.

Splatoon 3 was another case of "it's running on the Switch 2!!" on the first trailer and then after people saw more of the game they acted like it was ugly for some bizarre reason.
the best part is that we'll see much more information regarding the game from now to the launch date.

Middle age is not numerical but directly related to graying hair and back aches. This must be objectively true, since it is essentially how I convince myself that I am not middle-aged even though I know younger people who most certainly are.

I'm afraid the sales won't be there... But I have to trust the process...really hard!

Fun fact (or Sad fact?): Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii sold more than the entire Prime Trilogy combined.

Though I should stress both Prime 1, and Echoes had a lower install base going against it, and Wii was a fad that catered to casual gamers who had never heard of Metroid. But even on the 3DS, Metroid Samus Returns I don't think sold all that much. I think it didn't even sell 1 million.

But then fast forward to Metroid Dread on Switch, and that I think is over 3 million now, which for a Metroid game is hugely respectable, and in fact I think the best selling Metroid game of all time if that can be believed.

Prime 4 has a lot going against it in terms of sales, but there's been a tremendous amount of hype over the years, and I think more than ever, the Metroid franchise is more recognized, and gamers are willing to give it a shot. Prime Remastered I think only sold a little over 1 million, but I think the lack of any fanfare from Nintendo, plus that it was purely a shadowdrop from out of nowhere, it probably also went under many people's radars, despite the post-Direct hype afterwards.

Metroid since its inception has always been a niche franchise, same with Star Fox, or F-Zero when you think about it. But that's ok. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, though? Those are the heavy hitters from Nintendo, and they always sell, especially now on Switch. Splatoon has found its success as a competitive paint shooter, and is still quite successful. Even Luigi's Mansion has found its ground (LM3 sold over 14 million!!!), and our little pink fluffy pillow that is Kirby is finding good success.

It is those franchises' successes that I think allows Nintendo to expand their horizons, give these more niche franchise such as Metroid, and Star Fox a chance (thoug the latter just needs to come back in general). Even Pikmin is still very much a niche franchise, but given it's Miyamoto's baby, and fans adore it, it keeps getting made.

I think Prime 4 will find success, just not Donkey Kong levels of success.

Back
Top Bottom