• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

If the game really ends up doing a dimensional / time travel thing, i wonder if Dread's Flash Shift ability comes back in a way.

Also, i wouldn't say no to the Thunder Missles from Dread, too.

Middle age is not numerical but directly related to graying hair and back aches. This must be objectively true, since it is essentially how I convince myself that I am not middle-aged even though I know younger people who most certainly are.

Generally grey hair > no hair!

And what category do i fall into? My beard is mostly grey, but my head hair is still the natural dark blonde color.

Re: Prime 4 Sales - The game is releasing with a big enough install base to appeal to a general audience. The Nintendo Switch has about a 140 million owners. 10% of that is 14 million. Prime 1 on GCN sold about 1.8 million. I think it’s reasonable to expect this game to have lifetime sales of about 5 million, in my honest opinion.

Generally grey hair > no hair!

And what category do i fall into? My beard is mostly grey, but my head hair is still the natural dark blonde color.

I have a full beard, but no hair on top. Bald and beautiful as they say (been going bald since I was 15), and I love it. Beard is also turning grey, but my chest hair has been going grey for years now. But I am no Kratos from Dad of War. I'm not scrawny, but I'm not Buff Daddy either (Hell, I'm not even a Dad!)

My Wife (who turns 40 this year) says I'm her old man (who is 36), and she is my old lady. I do look older than her though.

Middle age is not numerical but directly related to graying hair and back aches. This must be objectively true, since it is essentially how I convince myself that I am not middle-aged even though I know younger people who most certainly are.

The only time I get back aches is when I'm not moving. A hinge that moves everyday never rusts! 💪

I don't want to go too deep into the Metroid sales rabbit hole because I have seen people get really rude when that topic comes up. However, I will say this: Nintendo knows what the sales are, but they keep making Metroid games anyway. Maybe we have some gaps here and there, like the time between Super and Prime, and the time between Other M and Samus Returns (sorry FF), but Nintendo keeps coming back to the franchise eventually.

I have no idea how much Prime 4 will sell. Still, I am very thankful that it's coming together. I'm sure we will get more Metroid after that, whether it's Prime 5, the next 2D game, or something else entirely. I might be a bit more concerned about the future when Sakamoto and Tanabe retire, but I'll just enjoy the moment for now.

If they did their UI design homework, it should turn more transparent / fade out on it's own unitl there's changes on it, simply because OLED TVs are a thing.
Prime’s UI bounces and sways all over the place to simulate it actually taking place inside Samus’s helmet, so that won’t happen either way.

Re: Prime 4 Sales - The game is releasing with a big enough install base to appeal to a general audience. The Nintendo Switch has about a 140 million owners. 10% of that is 14 million. Prime 1 on GCN sold about 1.8 million. I think it’s reasonable to expect this game to have lifetime sales of about 5 million, in my honest opinion.

If there are massive gameplay and story changes, sure, but the Prime style of gameplay was already largely rejected by Switch owners with Prime Remastered barely getting to 1.5m despite being the rare Nintendo game released at a discount and review scores in the mid 90s.

Crash 1-3 and Spyro 1-3 got past 10m for comparison, with Crash 4 selling massively less than Crash 1-3 despite being better.

If there are massive gameplay and story changes, sure, but the Prime style of gameplay was already largely rejected by Switch owners with Prime Remastered barely getting to 1.5m despite being the rare Nintendo game released at a discount and review scores in the mid 90s.

Crash 1-3 and Spyro 1-3 got past 10m for comparison, with Crash 4 selling massively less than Crash 1-3 despite being better.

Come on now, Remastered was shadow dropped at the direct last year. 1.5m for a remaster is good

Yeah, I do concur here. Hopefully we get some completely new suits like in Echoes to make up for that.

I admire your enthusiasm with this 26 quote post haha you're hyped and I love to see it

On a more serious note, I want to just mention how much I love the new HUD design they have cooked up for this.

MetroidPrime4Beyond-scrn-04.jpg

The designs of the enemy proximity indicator and map + compass especially are great, and the whole thing just looks super clean overall with all the nice little details. Peak HUD design.

Lovely work by Adlan and the team

Come on now, Remastered was shadow dropped at the direct last year. 1.5m for a remaster is good

I mean, again, the closest points of comparison for a high budget remaster of a beloved 20 year old title released at a budget price are Crash and Spyro 1-3, which both exceeded 10m copies sold.

1.5m is a lot worse than the Mario vs. DK remaster for comparison.

I was bullish on Prime 4's sales pre-reveal as I thought there would be dramatic changes to the storytelling and gameplay, but the trailer made me think this is sticking extremely close to the first three for some reason, which makes it harder to see any sales upside.

Prime Remastered was a completely non-marketed digital shadowdrop with a late physical that was even less marketed; physical is still a really big market for Nintendo compared to other platforms. Lacking that it's impressive that Remastered did as well as it did.

Moreover -- and here's the dirty little secret -- the majority of N. Sane and Reignited's 10 million sales were not copies sold at $40.

This is all after we square the fact that both franchises you're comparing were anywhere between twice to three times as big as Metroid during their nascent peaks.

Last edited:
Prime Remastered was a completely non-marketed digital shadowdrop with a late physical that was even less marketed; physical is still a really big market for Nintendo compared to other platforms. Lacking that it's impressive that Remastered did as well as it did.

Moreover -- and here's the dirty little secret -- the majority of N. Sane and Reignited's 10 million sales were not copies sold at $40.

This is all after we square the fact that both franchises you're comparing were anywhere between twice to three times as big as Metroid during their nascent peaks.

On the other hand, Crash 1-3 and Spyro 1-3 sold much better than their PS1 versions while Prime 1 Remastered sold significantly less than its original version.

Crash 4 selling like 30-40% of Crash 1-3 is the major bad point of comparison as well. Even if Prime 1 Remastered's numbers were deflated by Nintendo shadowdropping it, Prime 4 may lose the nostalgia factor of Prime 1 Remastered (as well as the discounted price factor) and sell the same or less as 1 Remastered.

I mean, again, the closest points of comparison for a high budget remaster of a beloved 20 year old title released at a budget price are Crash and Spyro 1-3, which both exceeded 10m copies sold.

1.5m is a lot worse than the Mario vs. DK remaster for comparison.

I was bullish on Prime 4's sales pre-reveal as I thought there would be dramatic changes to the storytelling and gameplay, but the trailer made me think this is sticking extremely close to the first three for some reason, which makes it harder to see any sales upside.
You are one of those who always see the glass half empty, right? 😅 😅

On the other hand, Crash 1-3 and Spyro 1-3 sold much better than their PS1 versions while Prime 1 Remastered sold significantly less than its original version.

Crash 4 selling like 30-40% of Crash 1-3 is the major bad point of comparison as well. Even if Prime 1 Remastered's numbers were deflated by Nintendo shadowdropping it, Prime 4 may lose the nostalgia factor of Prime 1 Remastered (as well as the discounted price factor) and sell the same or less as 1 Remastered.
I don't know why you use those games as some point of reference when they're all not comparable for a multitude of reasons, only some of which were already brought up in my previous post. If you want a point-of-reference comparison you'd have a better job comparing it to Pikmin, where 4 sold more than 3 Deluxe despite coming out three years later, proving that demand for a new game on the same system had already outweighed the remaster.

Metroid Prime 4 will not sell worse than Remastered. Acting like it will is concern trolling, straight up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the fact that Metroid Prime Remastered sold almost as much as other niche Nintendo games but gets concerned trolled way more is hilarious to me. It was literally a shadow drop, versus games which were much more hyped and advertised for like 6 months. You can really tell which franchises people like to concern troll sales with and which people don't. But yeah, Prime 4 is totally going to sell less than Remastered amirite.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the fact that Metroid Prime Remastered sold almost as much as Engage and XC3 but gets concerned trolled way more is hilarious to me. It was literally a shadow drop, versus those games which were much more hyped and advertised for like 6 months. You can really tell which franchises people like to concern troll sales with and which people don't. But yeah, Prime 4 is totally going to sell less than Remastered amirite.

If we go by his logic, TOTK was probably a failure because it only managed to sell 20 million compared to over 30 million for BOTW. Oh, the horror...

NINTENDOOMED!!!! 🙄

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the fact that Metroid Prime Remastered sold almost as much as other niche Nintendo games but gets concerned trolled way more is hilarious to me. It was literally a shadow drop, versus games which were much more hyped and advertised for like 6 months. You can really tell which franchises people like to concern troll sales with and which people don't. But yeah, Prime 4 is totally going to sell less than Remastered amirite.

The obvious differences are:

1. People in Austin are paid way more than people in Japan on average.
2. Prime 4 has one of the longest dev cycles in Nintendo history with a chance to be the longest.

Yeah, people are weird about Metroid sales. I've seen people call Metroid Prime Remastered a flop despite selling over 1 million units, a statistic a lot of games would love to have.

My guess is this reaction comes from how Metroid should be selling as well as Mario and Zelda, because it's that good, but it isn't meeting those numbers. But just because it's not selling Zelda numbers doesn't mean it's flopping either. A lot of games in the series sold over a million units, which is more than what you can say for other big name franchises like Castlevania and Mega Man.

The obvious differences are:

1. People in Austin are paid way more than people in Japan on average.
2. Prime 4 has one of the longest dev cycles in Nintendo history with a chance to be the longest.
The longest dev cycle in Nintendo history is Mother 3 I think. That had a 12-year development cycle with multiple reboots along the way.

Lovely work by Adlan and the team

The UI is killer. Most impressive thing about the reveal for me. They nailed it.

Yeah, people are weird about Metroid sales. I've seen people call Metroid Prime Remastered a flop despite selling over 1 million units, a statistic a lot of games would love to have.

My guess is this reaction comes from how Metroid should be selling as well as Mario and Zelda, because it's that good, but it isn't meeting those numbers. But just because it's not selling Zelda numbers doesn't mean it's flopping either. A lot of games in the series sold over a million units, which is more than what you can say for other big name franchises like Castlevania and Mega Man.
I'm one of these people. I don't call MP Remastered a flop, but I think its sales are poor.

Given that Metroid Prime is critically beloved and in a genre that's very popular (first person games where you shoot things) I truly believe it should sell more, and that it doesn't is a real failure of marketing.
And also due to the fact that the main way you interact with things in the game - shooting - is poorly done

Have you watched the uncompressed trailer? Great stuff.

I've gotta say though, seeing you sincerely praise Metroid Prime 4 is bizarre and unsettling. Part of me misses the old Yamanoi, who spoke of its review thread being posted in 2036.

It was not only the Nintendo game shown in the Direct I will purchase, but also a great showcase of what Switch 1 is capable of. I will get back to normal in a few days. Until then, I will trust the process.

You are one of those who always see the glass half empty, right? 😅 😅
nah he'll see a glass full and say it's empty.
This is kinda what I'm on about. The marketing cycle will play a big role in it selling more alone lol

I really hope Nintendo sneaks in Prime 2 and 3 re-releases before 4 launches, but I am starting to lose faith.

Was chatting with a buddy the other day about that, and he's also upset we haven't seen anything with TPHD, or WWHD escaping the chains of the Wii U. He thinks we won't see it until Switch 2 at this rate.

But for Prime 2 and 3, I can still see Echoes getting the Prime 1 Remastered treatment, but I think at this point, we'll get the Skyward Sword HD treatment with Corruption, which I wouldn't be upset about.

Yeah, people are weird about Metroid sales.
The average Metroid sales conversation goes like this:

"Metroid has bad sales"

"It sells about as much (or more) than plenty of Nintendo franchises"

"But Metroid costs a lot more to make than those other series"

"How do you know that?"

Round and round it goes

All this talk about if the game will be $60 or $70, when for me I’m fully prepared to pay $150 CAD or more.

I need the special edition. Lord help my wallet if it launches on Switch 2 with a Metroid edition console

So will this be the final Metroid Prime game?

I get the feeling Nintendo wants to release this and then move on.
I don't really think we can really say at this point. Too many unknowns and potential variables

On the one hand, having this as an albatross hanging around their necks during the whole Switch era can't have been fun for Nintendo and there might be some "we're are never fucking doing this again" thinking going on

But at the same time, Retro had a rather unproductive era between Tropical Freeze and Prime Remastered, and has invested a lot in scaling up for this project specifically. I think if it's received well, sells decently (let's say 3-5 million at least), and Retro doesn't absolutely dig their heels in and say they wanna move on to a different IP, I could see the momentum being there to just go "fuck it, no screwing around spinning your wheels on projects that don't go anywhere for 5 years, just take what you've got here and get a sequel going now"

I need the special edition. Lord help my wallet if it launches on Switch 2 with a Metroid edition console
Yea, I am prepared to buy whatever special arrives....maybe not a console though. Well I say that now, but I don't know if I will be strong enough to resist the temptation

Folks, the Prime 4 Varia Suit is beginning to grow on me. I still have my nitpicks, but I think it's well proportionally balanced overall. If you zoom in on the Corruption Varia in this pic and look at it next to Beyond's, it becomes quite apparent that while the shoulders are respectably large, the legs are comparatively skinny, giving off somewhat of a "Did Samus skip leg day?" vibe. Beyond's Varia Suit more evenly distributes the bulk: yeah they took some shoulder away, but they put it into torso and thighs, making it clear that Samus has been training every muscle group evenly. This is excellent for the lore, so I support it. #PTP

It's the torso that I like the most, I think. Looking at some of the others it's almost like she's cinched up in a space corset. This time she's allowed to have a core, and I think it helps the overall proportions immensely.

I mean, we definitely need more middle-aged women protagonists, so i'm fine with this. ^^
Charlize Theron for the Metroid movie and I am not kidding

If you're in your 30s you are old. That is a fact.
Me, turning 40 next year:
. . . guess I aughta buy some boat shoes and jean shorts

Has anyone else watched reaction videos to the trailer on YouTube? So fun watching fellow Metroid fans lose their shit!

For a long time I legit thought that's what middle-aged meant.

I wonder how many totally-not-old people I've offended using it that way over the years.
Average lifespan in USA is 76. The midpoint for that region is technically 38. Typically people round the point of middle-age up to a nice round 40. But if you really want to capture middle-age as like a period/stage of lifespan, maybe like 15 years (20%), that means middle age could potentially be considered between ~ 30 to 45. So like....maybe, under a generally non-standard definition. But nobody is going to appreciate being called middle age that young lol

Folks, the Prime 4 Varia Suit is beginning to grow on me. I still have my nitpicks, but I think it's well proportionally balanced overall. If you zoom in on the Corruption Varia in this pic and look at it next to Beyond's, it becomes quite apparent that while the shoulders are respectably large, the legs are comparatively skinny, giving off somewhat of a "Did Samus skip leg day?" vibe. Beyond's Varia Suit more evenly distributes the bulk: yeah they took some shoulder away, but they put it into torso and thighs, making it clear that Samus has been training every muscle group evenly. This is excellent for the lore, so I support it. #PTP

I had been hoping for a more unique prime 4 varia suit design (before whatever suit gimmick kicks in later in the game), rather than a refined reinterpretation of the existing prime 3 varia. Dread began with a brand new iteration of the fusion suit and that was very exciting for me, and I wish Prime 4 did the same. However with that aside and commenting on the actual design, I like basically every change they've made to it.

I like how the proportions look on this suit. I am a fan of beefy varias so you'd think I'd be disappointed, but I think this actually works well. They've gone slimmer but without making her look implausible like Other M, it's more realistic. Feels more balanced, like a person actually exists underneath.
The updates to the joint where the armcanon meets the arm are great. So are the updates to the shoulder joint below the pauldrons.
The revised details at the waist and upper legs also look good, they're actually quite different.
I like that they've shifted the yellow toward more of a champagne color, so it's not fighting for attention over the other colors.
I love the visor pattern details, and the way it reflects is perfect.
There are a variety of other changes as well that I won't get into but basically nothing was left untouched.

All in all I consider it a huge improvement over the prime 3 version. The only thing that bugs me is something it inherited from 2/3, in that I have never liked the shape of this particular visor with the little divot at the top and the sides becoming straight instead of curved. I liked the Prime 1 visor a lot better, to me that felt like it fit the curves of the helmet and pauldrons better.

Last edited:
Re: Last Prime game - Depends on sales and I’m sure Retro would be ecstatic to see what they can pull from the Switch 2

Back
Top Bottom