• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope |ST| Super Mario + Rabbids Galaxy

What's broken or bad about it?
Inconsistencies is a big issue with it. Sometimes the dash misses even if it visually hits, and when you do hit, picking it up feels oddly clunky, sometimes demanding many presses even if you are right by it, and the camera makes chasing them around VERY hard
And, when tossing them into the pool, the aim for it feels really random, I sometimes stand right in front of it but because of a input delay or something, the slightest touch makes Mario toss it out of bounds instead.
These things are mainly issues cuz of the strict time limit to get a Gold score
Maybe it'd just me, but these challenges are easily the worst part of the game :/

Agreed on a lot of those things, and I am in the 5th world right now.
The game is odd. It is still very fun. But while it does do some things better than KB, it does a bunch worse than KB, too.
Also
Is it just me or are weapon descriptions completely out of whack? They keep mentioning I got them for doing specific battles I have not done yet.
It really lacks a big chunk of polish XD
EDIT
Ok, so, I have lost a few times in places (on Hard), but it has not been super difficult.
This one Flora side quest battle is just kinda crappy tho. Survive for 6 rounds and enemies that can pull your entire party in and does more than 50% damage to each of them with one hit, yeeeahh
This is where the 'random portals' really starts to feel unfair
I'm a bit late to this, but for this mission I think your best bet is a combo of Rabbid Rosalina's Ennui and Peach's shield buff. Use Peach first, use her to survive a turn unscathed, then lock the enemy down for two turns with Ennui so you have time to reposition

You'll still have to deal with portal nonsense, but for that I like to use Rabbid Mario or maybe Bowser with the Cryo spark to freeze the enemies in place for one turn. You'll want to give Peach the disco ball magnet spark to draw the enemies in for RM to freeze, but between the three characters you should be able to get through with only minimal damage, especially if you bring the shield and reflector sparks

Last edited:
I'm at 97% and am just now running into a kind-of soft lock on the map screen. When I open the map, I can't tab over or even back out of the map. Luckily I can still click on warp points so if I do that I can escape the map without resetting. Obviously this is annoying since I can't look at the map without warping somewhere and it's making searching for my last couple things more annoying. Otherwise I am having an amazing time with the game!

Whilst this is good, Iā€™m definitely not loving it. Iā€™ll pick it up and play every now and then but it feels like itā€™s missing something that the original had

What's broken or bad about it?
I will say that the one on Palette Prime SUCKS. The fountain is finicky about lighting up when you target it, even if you're standing right in front of it on the shore, and while you CAN land a fish in fountain even when it's not lit up, you're like as not to throw it on a part of the fountain sticking out of the water or forming the fountain basin, which doesn't count.

I haven't had any glitches (on Pallette now), and it is so hard to compare this to KB. So different, it's such an evolution that it's almost hard to say it's a sequel in a sense. I'm enjoying it, but I do miss the smoothness of that camera moving with you in KB. But SOH's worlds are loads better, packed with contact.

Beep-o did not need VA, so bizarre. Honestly, they're so different I can't say I like one more than the other. They both have ups and downs.

Alright, I feel comfortable saying that Kingdom Battle is ultimately the better game. Not only because of the turn limits for a complete or the "keep everyone alive" requirements, but because it took until the fourth world to have destructible barrels that confer elemental status/damage on enemies if you blow them up. Those elemental boxes were all over Kingdom Battle, even in the first world. Push boxes, fire boxes, all that stuff made for some fun gameplay when you could punish an enemy hiding behind or near one. It also hurt when you were so unfortunate with your movement that the enemy popped them and hurt you, and there were times where you had to make the decision about getting closer to the enemy to get something off while risking having to hide behind/near one.

I don't think this game's strategy is nearly as complex because there are just fewer barriers to you completing a battle/no extra bonus for "perfect" battles (by X number of turns/everyone alive). I can just rush the enemy down. I'm into the fourth of five (?) worlds now, and I don't see that it's going to really escalate that much from here. Even if it does, it's way too far into the game to start adding that stuff to battles.

I like this game, but they really gutted the battles in a way that makes them less engaging and much easier. I'm on hard, but at no point has this game had a battle as hard as some of the ones you'd get into by the back end of the second world/start of the third world in Kingdom Battle.

This game needs a Super-Hard update that adds turn limits/all alive requirements for battles.

Seems that DLC 2 is related to the broken statue behind the start position in the Darkmess Edge boss fight. You can see the similarities in the design such as the dress and V shape in the clothing.
FglCYoXaAAA0Sdu
FglCYoMakAA1n9v
FgkzCB8XEAItsRq

Honestly I think I'll only buy DLC 2, maybe the season pass for DLC 1. DLC 3 is the exact opposite from what I want from this game in the future. I don't want to be locked into 3 specific characters for a whole planet (one of the strengths of this game is picking specific characters for specific battles) and I have no interest in Rayman at all. I wish they would have added someone from the Mario universe instead.

I think I'll go ahead and buy the season pass if necessary, but I'll wait to see if there's a sale on it on the eShop this November/December before I pull the trigger.

Honestly I think I'll only buy DLC 2, maybe the season pass for DLC 1. DLC 3 is the exact opposite from what I want from this game in the future. I don't want to be locked into 3 specific characters for a whole planet (one of the strengths of this game is picking specific characters for specific battles) and I have no interest in Rayman at all. I wish they would have added someone from the Mario universe instead.
That feels like the biggest missed opportunity in the sequel to me. Where's Yoshi? DK/Diddy Kong? Wario? Waluigi? Toad?

I like the inclusion of Rayman but there totally should have been a Yoshiā€™s Island or Wario expansion in place of DLC1 or 2.

Alright, I feel comfortable saying that Kingdom Battle is ultimately the better game. Not only because of the turn limits for a complete or the "keep everyone alive" requirements, but because it took until the fourth world to have destructible barrels that confer elemental status/damage on enemies if you blow them up. Those elemental boxes were all over Kingdom Battle, even in the first world. Push boxes, fire boxes, all that stuff made for some fun gameplay when you could punish an enemy hiding behind or near one. It also hurt when you were so unfortunate with your movement that the enemy popped them and hurt you, and there were times where you had to make the decision about getting closer to the enemy to get something off while risking having to hide behind/near one.

I don't think this game's strategy is nearly as complex because there are just fewer barriers to you completing a battle/no extra bonus for "perfect" battles (by X number of turns/everyone alive). I can just rush the enemy down. I'm into the fourth of five (?) worlds now, and I don't see that it's going to really escalate that much from here. Even if it does, it's way too far into the game to start adding that stuff to battles.

I like this game, but they really gutted the battles in a way that makes them less engaging and much easier. I'm on hard, but at no point has this game had a battle as hard as some of the ones you'd get into by the back end of the second world/start of the third world in Kingdom Battle.

This game needs a Super-Hard update that adds turn limits/all alive requirements for battles.
Having just completed the game at 100%ā€”no, you're right with regards to difficulty. The final battle in this game is fairly protracted and could be hectic, but it's ultimately not much compared to the Megabug fight from Kingdom Battle

And even adding those parts of a theoretical Ultra Hard mode wouldn't do muchā€”the sparks give you too many defensive options to worry about enemy capabilities.
There's even one that lets you revive fallen teammates!
The only difference you'd get from these new requirements would be bringing Peach to more fights, or going super hard on the offensive builds so you see more Edge, Mario, Luigi, and Rabbid Mario depending on terrain

I need a bit more space from the game before I pass judgment on it, but I think that I agree that I prefer the battle system from the first game, and the balancing of it. You were more limited in that game, but the limitations were designed around so that you were pushed to the theoretical limit in some encounters, which doesn't happen in Sparks of Hope because it basically can't

Still a good game, though, and I do like some of the changes (I really warmed up to the voice acting, particularly the mid-battle barks like Rabbid Peach's). It's just not as challenging for high-skill players

I was about to enter the thread and write how positive I am about it and how I like it more than the original game - which I really liked - just to see a couple of posts that think the exact opposite hah :>

Though I can understand what you say in some ways. Though I think the overworld play and the ability to mix up the game quite a bit makes it more enjoyable to me.

One thing that's struck me with both games though, the soundtracks - which I enjoy, but.. It's not very memorable? I cant put my finger on it - but If I am listening to the soundtrack on youtube for instance I think this is great - but I have no idea where in the game I heard it. Which is very weird because all of the artists are all time greats for me and has so many memorable songs in their careers and these songs just blend in for whatever reason. Maybe I'm too focused when I play that I dont listen to the soundtrack enough :p

Maybe Iā€™m not far enough to see it, but at 12 hours in and having completed the first two areas, I really donā€™t see this as being a Mario game whatsoever. Iā€™d go as far as to say Mario and crew look totally out of place whenever I see them. Thereā€™s no abundance of Mushroom Kingdom and Rabbids mixups like on the first title to tie it all together. They feel as pasted in as Star Fox and crew were in Starlink.

Thatā€™s not to say itā€™s not an outstanding game - I love it. Just an observation.

Iā€™m done with Bayonetta 3 so Iā€™m all in on Mario and Rabbids 2 finally. I cleared everything I could in the first world tonight and just moved into the second. Happy I have a full team of three finally. Iā€™ve largely settled back into my dream team from the first game, Mario, Luigi, and Rabbid Peach, but Iā€™m trying the others here and there. Edge seems neat with the boomerang sword and Iā€™m intrigued with Rabbid Marioā€™s potential when I level up some more with being able to move after punching.

Been playing a good bit today already and will play more tonight. My favorite(?) thing was I have Marioā€™s recharging hero sight now and played a map where he and Luigi got frozen in place next to two portals. I activated hero sight thinking hopefully I can least damage whatever comes out and it turned out to be six bombombs that streamed out so Mario kept killing them one after the other and they kept exploding on me. Mario lost half his health and Luigi scrapped out with like 30 HP left lol. Still won the map with everyone alive.

I just had the most hilarious crash ever during the final boss.

Cursa's astral arm targeted one of Bowsers mechakoopas. Then a squasher jumped onto that koopa, it exploded, all the koopas around that one exploded, the entire screen was just filled with explosions and then it crashed. I'm not even mad lmao

Luigi is obscene in this game. He was in the first game too, but even more so now with spark buffs lol. My first turn strategy for most fights is to use Marioā€™s initial power boost spark, give Luigi Steely Stare, have him walk far away, and then send others in to dash enemies or hit them with fire to get them moving. Luigi just eats them at that point since he can shoot through walls. I beat the second worldā€™s boss phase two and three in the first turn thanks to Luigi. I still have some upgrades left to make him even more busted on this front.

I think I can safely say this game is less tight than the first one, but the amount of ways you can just clown on enemies is amusing. Itā€™s a significantly easier game especially once you can equip two sparks, so the fun is the optimization and absurd plans coming together.

Maybe Iā€™m not far enough to see it, but at 12 hours in and having completed the first two areas, I really donā€™t see this as being a Mario game whatsoever. Iā€™d go as far as to say Mario and crew look totally out of place whenever I see them. Thereā€™s no abundance of Mushroom Kingdom and Rabbids mixups like on the first title to tie it all together. They feel as pasted in as Star Fox and crew were in Starlink.

Thatā€™s not to say itā€™s not an outstanding game - I love it. Just an observation.

It's not just Mario. For all the billing they get in the title, both the Mario and Rabbids elements really seem to have been pretty heavily deemphasized in this game. Letting the Rabbids talk kinda erodes most of their identity and makes them into kinda just a weird character design convention, for better or worse. Really only the background events on the map (which there are a lot fewer of) really have any sort of a Rabbids feel to them.

The game still works more or less fine despite this, but it really is mostly just borrowing some aesthetics from the two IPs it ostensibly belongs to.

It's not just Mario. For all the billing they get in the title, both the Mario and Rabbids elements really seem to have been pretty heavily deemphasized in this game. Letting the Rabbids talk kinda erodes most of their identity and makes them into kinda just a weird character design convention, for better or worse. Really only the background events on the map (which there are a lot fewer of) really have any sort of a Rabbids feel to them.

The game still works more or less fine despite this, but it really is mostly just borrowing some aesthetics from the two IPs it ostensibly belongs to.
I donā€™t really have any history with Rabbids other than knowing they existed. I also assume they donā€™t even have a rich history to draw on, so what we have here is just as ā€œRabbidā€ centric as anything else to me.

They speak, sure, but thereā€™s still a chunkiness to the aesthetic and goofiness to the writing and animations for NPCs that fits the very vague Rabbid mold.

I donā€™t really have any history with Rabbids other than knowing they existed. I also assume they donā€™t even have a rich history to draw on, so what we have here is just as ā€œRabbidā€ centric as anything else to me.

They speak, sure, but thereā€™s still a chunkiness to the aesthetic and goofiness to the writing and animations for NPCs that fits the very vague Rabbid mold.
I wouldn't really call the Rabbids' history "rich", but they do have one, and the game is a pretty big departure from it. They're supposed to be these weird, chaotic little proto-minion things. Using them as NPCs doesn't really let them do that, for better or worse. They were much more in character in Kingdom Battle, albeit (thankfully) toned down to a more manageable level.

I wouldn't really call the Rabbids' history "rich", but they do have one, and the game is a pretty big departure from it. They're supposed to be these weird, chaotic little proto-minion things. Using them as NPCs doesn't really let them do that, for better or worse. They were much more in character in Kingdom Battle, albeit (thankfully) toned down to a more manageable level.

I kind of viewed this as them expanding what a Rabbid can be, but fair point - these are not even close to the chaotic morons that Kingdom Battle showed us. They're silly, but still pretty sophisticated by comparison.

Itā€™s weird they wrote the sillyfish challenges like you have to get a greater score than the two targets when you only have to tie and winning in general doesnā€™t feel like a win since the Rabbid always says you arenā€™t good enough. I had beaten all of the best scores on my first try and was confused how you were supposed to get nine on World 4 after getting eight since it was so tight as is so I looked it up. I had been wondering too if I had to play them twice for it to count since I still donā€™t know what just a minimum finish looked like, but I guess it is just the one treasure chest.

I overall like this minigame, the music is great and dashing them down feels good, but I think they really needed to take another look at it.

Iā€™ve been a bit down on the game for a bit now as you are just incredibly powerful in this game and the maps are really bleeding together as a result, but I really dug the Wiggler train battle they showed off in previews. Had a great mix of dynamic action with the Wiggler and a hectic group of enemies/reinforcements that together played well with the base train map. Hope a few more battles this good sneak in before the end.

Also, Iā€™m at 66% completion now and the first three planets are fully complete. Glad Iā€™m in the home stretch!

Iā€™ve been a bit down on the game for a bit now as you are just incredibly powerful in this game and the maps are really bleeding together as a result, but I really dug the Wiggler train battle they showed off in previews. Had a great mix of dynamic action with the Wiggler and a hectic group of enemies/reinforcements that together played well with the base train map. Hope a few more battles this good sneak in before the end.

Also, Iā€™m at 66% completion now and the first three planets are fully complete. Glad Iā€™m in the home stretch!

My friend was thinking heā€™d artificially impose the rule that he can only use non-rabbid characters when possible because he hates the rabbids and the more I play, the more I think itā€™d be a novel kind of hard mode. Iā€™ve been playing a new party and the fights are almost trivial - Mario rabbid with the Spark that lets you pull enemies towards you basically ends the fight in a few moves every time.

Iā€™m having fun, but yeahā€¦the game is feeling pretty easy.

My friend was thinking heā€™d artificially impose the rule that he can only use non-rabbid characters when possible because he hates the rabbids and the more I play, the more I think itā€™d be a novel kind of hard mode. Iā€™ve been playing a new party and the fights are almost trivial - Mario rabbid with the Spark that lets you pull enemies towards you basically ends the fight in a few moves every time.

Iā€™m having fun, but yeahā€¦the game is feeling pretty easy.
That might be a good way to go about it. Rabbid Peachā€™s healing is so absurd Iā€™m never in any real danger which just lets me tear everything up with Mario and Luigi. Normal Peachā€™s shield does seem pretty good though from the few times Iā€™ve used her.

I wonder what the least OP team would look like?

That might be a good way to go about it. Rabbid Peachā€™s healing is so absurd Iā€™m never in any real danger which just lets me tear everything up with Mario and Luigi. Normal Peachā€™s shield does seem pretty good though from the few times Iā€™ve used her.

I wonder what the least OP team would look like?

Choosing only elemental/dmg Sparks is probably a good starting point. Or just less Sparks.

Didnā€™t get to play a ton today, but ever since the Wiggler battle and especially in World 5 the maps have been far more hits than misses again. If this holds to the end, Iā€™ll be walking away happy.

I was trying to get 100% on the first few worlds before beatingworld 4...

But I seem stuck at 99% on world 1 while still having completed all quests, memories.. not sure what I can have missed?

I was trying to get 100% on the first few worlds before beatingworld 4...

But I seem stuck at 99% on world 1 while still having completed all quests, memories.. not sure what I can have missed?
Redo the secret door challenge to get the last 1% on each world.

I just entered the final world with everything else 100% complete. Not sure how long it will take so Iā€™ll save it for tomorrow. The back third of the game thankfully did pick up in a great way so Iā€™m definitely happy as I wrap it up.

Finally started playing this week, not too far in, but enjoying it. I do kind of miss wandering into battlefields that were organically part of the overworld, but the combat still feels really nice. Started on Hard, which is probably where Iā€™ll stay, the game feels reasonably but not excessively challenging, though I do wish it kept more health regen between fights.

I forgot to post here I did finish this yesterday and the final boss was cool. Did the stuff I wanted it to. Cool game overall and I walked away happy, though I think I prefer the first one (itā€™s close). Hope they sort out the season pass stuff for Best Buy preorders since I would like to get it.

Help! I am at 99% on Pristine Peaks and I cannot seem to find what I'm missing. I have all skins, all items you can buy with regional coins, all memories, did the challenge room twice. Any ideas?

Been so busy at work (working overtime) I Finally got the chance to buy the game. However I fell asleep before I could start it. Here is hoping I get some time today.

Also this track is so good! Gareth Coker said in interviews that this is one of the most satisfying songs he's composed in his career, including the Ori games!

Beat the game! Definitely took me longer than what HTB told me hehe. Closer to 30 hours than the 16 that it suggests.
Finished at 80% so I do have some stuff to clean up still which I will do after a Bayonetta 3 break.

I think it's definitely a step up from the first game, there were some things I did enjoy better with the first one but as a whole it was better.
Was iffy on the music at first, but in the end it definitely lived up to it's potential with all the great composers.
Really enjoyed the last boss battle to, all phases.

Also finally beat this game!

Really enjoyed it overall, even if some parts of it don't work as well as I'd have liked for them to. But I'm glad they went in a different direction for the sequel, I think it proves there's longevity in this overall mash-up concept, as bizarre of one as it is.

I will say though, at times you could really feel the developers' ambitions for this game may have been greater than what the Switch can muster at this point in time. Would be interesting to see what they could do with it on a Switch 2 type of device.

But I never found it unplayable or anything like that.(played both handheld and docked) I only encountered one battle where the enemies never would take their turn, which was annoying because I was really hoping I'd get the one glitch where you have free range over the whole map instead. :LOL: Side note: if you ever get the "they won't take their dang turn!" glitch, just exit out of the battle entirely, back to the over world, and try again. That worked for me anyway.

Ultimately, this game feels less like a sequel to the weird original game, and more like a totally different take that uses the same base prompt. This game gives you a lot of pieces to play around with right from the very start. And there's more of a feeling that this is an actual universe with the many unique characters and locations introduced throughout.(shout out to my personal fave Woodrow, wish he was playable)

For me it mostly all works, even if it is a tad overly "Saturday morning cartoon" at times. Especially those two chatty AIs, lord do they have a lot to say in this game or what lol.

One thing I really wish the game had tho, is some kind of gummi ship segment. I thought for sure there'd be something like that in here for traveling between the planets, but there isn't sadly. The ship really doesn't come in to play much at all outside of cutscenes.

But one thing I can easily give this game over it's predecessor is the soundtrack! So many good tunes are spread throughout the game, some moody and atmospheric, some triumphant and sweeping, and some just super playful and catchy, the soundtrack is really great here. I hope they win several awards for it, they deserve to.

Anyways, I've probably blathered on long enough. Game's good.

I'm still trying to think of Yoko Shimomura's and Gareth Coker's best tracks in Sparks of Hope but I think Grant Kirkhope's best tracks in the game are Paean to Palette Prime and Hitting Bedrock - which both just so happen to be Palette Prime songs.

Finished the game. It really got long in the tooth around Barrendale Mesa. It's a marked step down from the first game.

I still enjoyed it and will still buy the DLC, though! I love Western SRPGs so much in general that even a game that I think ran out of ideas by 70% of the way into the game will be one that I liked. Just bummed that it didn't elevate what the first game did or get even close to that.

It's been a rough year for sequels considering this game and Horizon Forbidden West. Both are cases of developers trying to outdo their original concepts and missing the mark in significant ways.

Hitting Bedrock from Grant, On the back of Darkmess Manta from Yoko, and Desolate Beauty from Gareth would be my favorites from each.

Hitting Bedrock is one of my favorites overall from Grant and a style that is pretty different from his usual stuff, also was expecting Ride out the Storm to be from Gareth but is actually a Yoko track, which is also pretty unique compared to her usual stuff.

Overall excellent soundtrack, the emotional range of the score is incredible and a big step up from Kingdom Battle, up there with the best of Mario, and definitely not stuff I would expect to hear from a Rabbids game.

So Iā€™ve seen a few people say that this overall feels more like a Rabbids game than a Mario game, and I think thatā€™s kind of on the right track but not quite right. As, well, obvious as this may sound, I think this just feels like a Mario game if Ubisoft were the ones making it. By which I mean, it feels like it really respects the Mario characters and elements, but it feels the need to make them hipper, more outside their comfort zone, and a bit more experimental, but they donā€™t quite fully grasp the core of Mario, so things feel a bit uncanny. Not to say itā€™s bad, I am enjoying the game quite a bit. But I think the developers see Mario, and think of an expanded world that could fit him, and so you end up with all of these colorful fantasy worlds, but they also lean into things Mario wouldnā€™t, like the Olympian God parody running through the first world. Itā€™s an attempt to ā€œelevateā€ the otherwise standard island themed level, and that worksā€¦ it just doesnā€™t feel like how Nintendo would do it. Like, I think Ubisoft needs there to be a slight sense of irony to the whole thing, so you have the robots pointing out the ridiculous, but they donā€™t quite have Nintendoā€™s ability to just be sincere in the idea being presented.

Back
Top Bottom