• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope |ST| Super Mario + Rabbids Galaxy

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
MRSOHSTHeader.jpg

Release Date: October 20th, 2022
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Publisher: Ubisoft
Developer: Ubisoft Milan, Ubisoft Paris
Genre: Turn Based Strategy, Action Adventure
Game File Size: 5.7 GB
Nintendo Store Page: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/mario-plus-rabbids-sparks-of-hope-switch/

MarioRabbidsIntroduction.jpg

An Unexpected Partnership

Early on in the Switch's first year, an unexpected leak caught the attention of the entire internet. Ubisoft was developing a crossover between the Mario and Rabbids series, which would feature X-Com style tactical gameplay as Mario picked up a gun and made some unlikely allies. This was, predictably, met with a healthy dose of skepticism at best, and outright mockery at worst. However, come its official reveal at E3 2017, the mood shifted, and the game suddenly seemed a lot more interesting. It was revealed that the well-loved Rare composer Grant Kirkhope would be working on the musical score, we saw the tearful appreciation of Director Davide Soliani at the formal unveiling, and the graphics and gameplay all looked great. Against all odds, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle released to critical claim and commercial success, quickly becoming the best-selling non-first party game on the Switch, and later receiving a DLC campaign starring Donkey Kong. The success of this game would also go on to open the door for more collaboration between Nintendo and Ubisoft

A Long-Awaited Sequel

Years passed, and in that time, the Switch was no longer the uncertain gamble many once saw it as, but a dominant player in the industry. Ubisoft would partner again with Nintendo to add exclusive Star Fox content to its Toys to Life game Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and Rabbid Peach made a cameo in the Switch version of Just Dance 2018. But once the Donkey Kong DLC was out, and stories began popping up about the Ubisoft Milan team growing, many figured it was only a matter of time before a sequel was announced. And come E3 2021, that is exactly what happened.

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope is the latest entry in the Mario + Rabbids series. In this game, we see Mario and friends depart the Mushroom Kingdom and journey into space to stop a new villain named Cursa from spreading her dark influence across the galaxy. Mario is aided by the Sparks in his adventure, fusions of Lumas and Rabbids that can grant special abilities to their partners. Some new faces, including Bowser himself, will be joining in on the fun this time. The tactical gameplay of the previous entry has been expanded upon and refined here, allowing for more freedom of movement and new gameplay options.

marioRabbidsGameplay.jpg

The gameplay of Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope consists of exploration and battle. You will travel through large overworlds in a more nonlinear fashion compared to the prior game. More puzzles and challenges have been added, including the classic 8 red coin collection challenges of other Mario games. Once you cross into a battle zone, the gameplay will shift into a turn-based encounter, where you will position your characters and attack the enemies. Each battle has an objective, such as eliminating all enemies or reaching a destination. Unlike the previous game, where the battle took place on a grid and restricted movement by distance traveled, this time around you are free to move around freely in a limited area during your turn. Make good use of your unique characters and their special abilities to survive and advance.

Sparks

MRSparks.png

Sparks are a fusion of Rabbids and Lumas and can provide buffs and abilities to their partnered characters. A record of all available sparks and their effects can be found here! During your adventure, you will come across up to 30 of these creatures, so keep an eye out for any that need rescuing!

Gameplay Presentation

MarioRabbidsCharacters.jpg

Most of the cast returns from Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, including Mario, Luigi, Peach, and their Rabbid Counterparts return (pour one out for Yoshi and Rabbid Yoshi, who are apparently not included this time around). Three new characters will be joining as well!

MRBowser.png

The King of the Koopas himself joins Mario in hopes of getting his minions back from Cursa's control and getting a little payback in the process. Bowser packs some big guns and his signature Koopa toughness that will be sure to be of great assistance on the battlefield.

MRRabbidRosalina.png

The Rabbid counterpart to Rosalina, she is a brilliant but detached and ever tired ally with the ability to inflict sleep on her enemies. She seems to have her own agenda and goals in helping Mario.

MREdge.png

This Rabbid wields a big sword and a big attitude. Notably, she also has no Mario universe counterpart, and is simply Edge. She has a heroic spirit and seeks to save the Sparks from Cursa.

MarioRabbidsReviews.jpg

Metacritic: 86

Open Critic: 86

IGN
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope takes the excellent tactical combat ideas of Kingdom Battle and runs absolutely wild with them. Its goofy characters still have the ability to bounce off of each other, but they’re now free of the rigid grid and wonderfully customizable thanks to the mix-and-match Sparks that give them new and reliably interesting powers. Between fights you get to catch your breath in the large and brilliantly colorful open worlds, solving its light puzzles and being puzzled yourself by its oddball story. It’s extremely gratifying to play an ambitious sequel that fixes all of the main issues I had with the original, and then some.

Nintendo World Report
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope takes the fantastic canvas that was Kingdom Battle and paints a masterpiece on it. The combat is as fun as it is strategic, and each world is a delight to roam through. The added freedom in terms of movement during battles and the light RPG elements pair exquisitely with the slapstick Rabbid humor and the whimsical music composed by industry titans Kirkhope, Shimomura, and Coker. The story serves its purpose well enough, even if the ending is a bit lackluster, but the gameplay is unassailable. If you liked its predecessor, you'll love Sparks of Hope. It sets a new bar for Mario-themed spinoffs, and I'm full of hope that the series doesn't end here.

Easy Allies
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope is a splendid sequel with a terrific new take on exploration while simultaneously revamping the combat for the better with the clever addition of Sparks and marvelous new characters. It definitely could use a bit more polish, but it’s still a gorgeous looking game in spite of some technical shortcomings. Clocking in at roughly 20 hours to complete, plus several more for extras, it feels like the perfect length and never overstays its welcome. It’s definitely worth the wait, but here’s hoping it’s not another five years before we see a follow-up to this magnificent series.

Eurogamer
Well, this turns out to be brilliant fun, tactical and knockabout, exactly as you'd expect if you combined Mario and XCOM. The roster of characters is colourful and quirky, encouraging experimentation, and alongside equipping items and sparks, each character has a handful of skill trees to plug points into as they level. (Characters also auto-level off the battlefield.) Throw in bosses, inventive victory conditions, deep cuts from Mario universe and clever battlefield design and you've got something pretty special. [Eurogamer Recommended]

Check out our Review Thread for even more!

MarioRabbidsMedia.jpg

Story Trailer

Cinematic Launch Trailer

Official Website

Credit to @Chaotic Neutral and @bellydrum for assisting with the ST title!

Credit to TheMushroomKingdom.net for the Screenshots used in this thread!

Excellent ST!

Can't wait for this weekend to finally get to play this gem. I'm so jealous of ya'll who got it early lol

Fantastic ST!!

I won't be jumping in at launch - I still gotta finish the first one - but I hope everyone has some fun! Spread that Mario love around, y'all!

Fantastic ST!!

I won't be jumping in at launch - I still gotta finish the first one - but I hope everyone has some fun! Spread that Mario love around, y'all!
I'm holding off until the start of November to make a bunch of purchases, so I'll actually be a bit behind the rest as well. But I'm excited to see how people feel about the game once it comes out!

Have this one pre-ordered, I'll see if I can find time to play it whenever it arrives ' w ' Enjoyed the first one way more than I was expecting, so hearing that it's in a similar vein is all I need to know

Super excited to get this. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle was fantastic. The DK DLC as well.
Edge looks great. Bowser is always fantastic when he is forced to join the good guys. And Rabbid Rosalina is Rabbid Rosalina.

The soundtrack of "Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope" (Japanese title "Mario + Rabbids Galaxy Battle" / released in Japan on December 2nd) will be released on October 20th! I hope you enjoy both the soundtrack and the game ♡

God I'm so excited to pick this up first thing tomorrow.

I'm excited to play but seeing it's Ubisoft, the Gold version is gonna be discounted severely before Christmas. I'll be picking it up then.

Preordered this but not sure if I'll have time to play it with the Fami events 👀 and work crunch hitting here soon. Going on paternity leave in December again with a Switch and this and Pokémon SV, gonna be good times.

I'm going to play the game eventually, so for now I'll reserve my judgement before watching the DF review. I don't want to dampen my experience by a single frame drop experienced during a cutscene.

I'm going to play the game eventually, so for now I'll reserve my judgement before watching the DF review. I don't want to dampen my experience by a single frame drop experienced during a cutscene.
The one game 10 people won't respons to me on Reddit saying I can get it on Steam Deck

I'm excited to play but seeing it's Ubisoft, the Gold version is gonna be discounted severely before Christmas. I'll be picking it up then.

Yup. Don't buy 3rd party games at launch for any platform, they'll always get heavily discounted very quickly. Just a little bit of patience will save you a lot of money.

If it was Immortals, I'd wait, but I'm pumped for this and have $10 off and traded in SMT V. So it's only $20 after that anyway.

Just clicked on the game to see if I could already play it. I know it's silly, but I always hope Nintendo will screw it up and give me access to games a bit early. I guess my patronage throughout these decades has yet to earn me a special standing with them. Dammit!

I love this type of videos. I got teary eyed when Shimomura said working on this title was like "reuniting with an old friend", so wholesome.

Yeah, that part got me. There really is something special about seeing Shimomura return to Mario.

I have my final mock exam of this two week period of time later today and then picking up the game later, can't wait to finally relax for the first time in two weeks and dig into the game.

So, from what I have seen, if you managed the first game really well without much issues, you should probably play on Hard for this one.
So I will do that. Luckily, one can change that at any point. But I'll start at Hard ^^
I do not need games to be ultra difficult, but I do like me a decent challenge.

I haven’t kept up with the details of the game up to launch and oh my gosh I had no idea that you can lead the party as any character and also have 2 Mario characters as your setup and no Rabbid. That’s already a huge improvement in my book!

I love that the game has actually taken a minor interest in mario lore, like not a lot of other mario games do that. The way peach talks about things as if she recognizes their importance to her world is sort of refreshing in a way.

Love the flux capacitor on the back of their spaceship

An hour in and I think it's pretty good so far. Seems like a good amount of team customizability from the start, and the Demanding difficulty setting is pretty challenging. Already lost a battle.

It's certainly got some Ubisoft jank to it - there's some very minor latency when it comes to the menu feedback, which is annoying, and the graphics are certainly less detailed than that of Kingdom Battles (which I can forgive due to the expanded scope), but the free camera and movement is a good trade off to me personally. I agree with DF in that this is more of a "sidegrade" than an "upgrade", which again, is fine to me given that this is on the same platform as the previous release.

All in all I'm really excited for this game; I love a good strategy game, and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is in my top 5 Switch games of all time.

Man this really feels like a spiratual successor to Mario+Luigi. Hell, I can't really call these Rabbids anymore because they barely have any of their annoying traits. Not to mention they talk which is incredibly weird.

...Also Rabbid Mario should have voice Mario in the Mario Movie.

Back
Top Bottom