• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope |ST| Super Mario + Rabbids Galaxy

Haven’t been playing a whole lot so I’m not very far yet, but I’m already getting my ass kicked in the Giant Wildclaw battle… Any tips for what I should be prioritizing in terms of team building? And should I be feeding Star Bits to my Sparks? I haven’t fed them any yet because I’m not sure how big of a difference it makes and I don’t want to burn up all my Star Bits before I have many Sparks, since I’m not sure how plentiful Star Bits will be as I progress.

Haven’t been playing a whole lot so I’m not very far yet, but I’m already getting my ass kicked in the Giant Wildclaw battle… Any tips for what I should be prioritizing in terms of team building? And should I be feeding Star Bits to my Sparks? I haven’t fed them any yet because I’m not sure how big of a difference it makes and I don’t want to burn up all my Star Bits before I have many Sparks, since I’m not sure how plentiful Star Bits will be as I progress.
Feed your sparks.

Quoted by: Tye
Feed your sparks.
Any particular ones I should prioritize feeding? I’m hesitant to dump a bunch of Star Bits into my Sparks without even being sure which ones I want to be using most and whatnot.

Managed to beat Giant Wildclaw pretty easily on another attempt at least, so I guess my issues that first time around were mostly just bad planning, lol.

Super-plentiful. No need to hold off.

It's the items that auto-level a Spark that you need to save for later. Use only Star Bits for the first three level-ups, at least.

Any particular ones I should prioritize feeding? I’m hesitant to dump a bunch of Star Bits into my Sparks without even being sure which ones I want to be using most and whatnot.

Managed to beat Giant Wildclaw pretty easily on another attempt at least, so I guess my issues that first time around were mostly just bad planning, lol.

Sorry for the double-post. Depends on the build. For example, Peach is good at damage barriers, so she has the Spark that offers team damage barriers along with her team barrier, which allows me to consistently cast barriers on most turns.

The other thing is that element Sparks are useful against specific enemies, so you're going to be swapping in and out to some extent anyway.

But again, there are so many Star Bits if you're doing all the side-quests, so no need to worry too much about prioritizing if you are doing that. You will pretty much always have the bits to level up your Sparks because of how they're doled out and how their leveling is tied to your team's leveling.

Super-plentiful. No need to hold off.

It's the items that auto-level a Spark that you need to save for later. Use only Star Bits for the first three level-ups, at least.
Sorry for the double-post. Depends on the build. For example, Peach is good at damage barriers, so she has the Spark that offers team damage barriers along with her team barrier, which allows me to consistently cast barriers on most turns.

The other thing is that element Sparks are useful against specific enemies, so you're going to be swapping in and out to some extent anyway.

But again, there are so many Star Bits if you're doing all the side-quests, so no need to worry too much about prioritizing if you are doing that. You will pretty much always have the bits to level up your Sparks because of how they're doled out and how their leveling is tied to your team's leveling.
Cool, thanks!

I think you're overthinking it. Even on hard mode, that point of the game should be doable with minimal team setup. Although if you want strategy ideas, keeping the enemy moving by constantly changing his direction via Luigi sniper is what I did!

Quoted by: Tye
I think you're overthinking it. Even on hard mode, that point of the game should be doable with minimal team setup. Although if you want strategy ideas, keeping the enemy moving by constantly changing his direction via Luigi sniper is what I did!
Okay, guess I just made some really poor moves the first time I tried to beat that last battle then, lol. Beat it easily the second time, though.

And I’m just wanting to make sure I’m building my team somewhat optimally to avoid frustration later in the game. I recall the first Mario + Rabbids beings frustratingly difficult towards the end of the game. Part of that is probably my fault for not experimenting more with my team setup and all, but also I usually just don’t have the motivation or mental energy to spend on figuring out different team builds all the time. =P

I found the game too easy after completion, but I just finished Triangle Strategy on hard mode and that's a more challenging experience overall, so that may be part of the reason.

Anyway, I think I liked Kingdom Battle a bit more? I am definitely not a fan of the exploration phases... it was my least liked part in Kingdom Battle and here they are boosted significantly and take way more playing time. The free movement during the combat phases is fine I guess but mechanically doesn't deviate too much from the original. Also, I wasn't a fan of the battles taking part in areas not integrated with the world. I understand the reasons behind that, but the first entry was at the end more "elegant" solving that issue.

Also, as a second note, there is something "off" about the game in relation to the menus and UI that is common between the western-born products working with Nintendo IPs that I don't relly can't point exactly what is but at the same time is reallt evident to the feeling of the game for me. It happens with Mario & Rabidds and it happens also with Next Level Games products. They just don't have that "Nintendo-feel" to them. Not a critic per-se, but just a curiosity.

Last edited:
I found the game too easy after completion, but I just finished Triangle Strategy on hard mode and that's a more challenging experience overall, so that may be part of the reason.

Anyway, I think I liked Kingdom Battle a bit more? I am definitely not a fan of the exploration phases... it was my least liked part in Kingdom Battle and here they are boosted significantly and take way more playing time. The free movement during the combat phases is fine I guess but mechanically doesn't deviate too much from the original. Also, I wasn't a fan of the battles taking part in areas not integrated with the world. I understand the reasons behind that, but the first entry was at the end more "elegant" solving that issue.

Also, as a second note, there is something "off" about the game in relation to the menus and UI that is common between the -bornproducts working with Nintendo IPs that I don't relly can't point exactly what is but at the same time is reallt evident to the feeling of the game for me. It happends with Mario & Rabidds and it happens also with Next Level Games products. They just don't have that "Nintendo-feel" to them.
It seems like there's going to be a divide on whether people like Kingdom Battle or Sparks of Hope better. I'm more of the latter. In fact, I cannot imagine going back to Kingdom Battle now. Sparks of Hope is better in every way.

It seems like there's going to be a divide on whether people like Kingdom Battle or Sparks of Hope better. I'm more of the latter. In fact, I cannot imagine going back to Kingdom Battle now. Sparks of Hope is better in every way.

Yeah, and that's fine! I think I enjoy a more focused and to the point experience around the combat and Kingdom Battle is more of that for me. Also, I realised I have the DK DLC and never played it...

Yeah, and that's fine! I think I enjoy a more focused and to the point experience around the combat and Kingdom Battle is more of that for me. Also, I realised I have the DK DLC and never played it...
I think it's a good thing. It's been a while since we've had a sequel take major risks like this! Kinda refreshing.

Just got Jack Black finally. Now I can replace Rabbid Chris Pratt and I will be good to go.
Really fun game so far. Lots of bugs tho. One of them Pig Guys just walked right through some gemoetry and was like... in the middle of the battlefield for a while. Menus stops working at times.
it is both better, and worse, than the first game. Overall, very fun.
Rabbid Mario is hilarious. Opened a chest "This-a best day of mah life-a" and then shook a tree "I'mma shake-a so hard-a!"

In typical Ubisoft fashion, loads of people are credited for this game. In fact, on the official website, Ubisoft has linked a PDF file (here) which contains credits for the game and it has over 100 pages... more than 2000 people are credited for this game! This game is likely the Mario (or Nintendo IP in general) related game with the most amount of people credited for it.

Taking it quite slow, but I think I cleaned the first area as much as I can by now and I'm rdy to go further.

Really like Rabbid Mario, both the skillset and the "character".

Taking it quite slow, but I think I cleaned the first area as much as I can by now and I'm rdy to go further.

Really like Rabbid Mario, both the skillset and the "character".

There's something satisfying about running Rabbid Mario into a group of guys and punching the shit out of them.

Bonus if you have either the perk that lets you move after punching OR a Spark that, say, reflects any damage they dish out to you.

Casting a barrier on Rabbid Mario, letting him run up to a bunch of dudes and sneesnash them, and then letting them swing away as he eats zero damage but reflects X% of the damage that he would have eaten back on to the enemy is GREAT.

Not too surprising but we have confirmation that development of the DLC is already well underway according to producer Xavier Manzanares' post on his LinkedIn on launch day.
unknown.png

I do wish there was a bit more Mario stuff in the game, tbh.
I like the Rabbids, they are very fun and charming in these games.
But when it comes to world designs and enemies, I feel it is a wee bit overly tipped towards the Rabbid direction.
I am basically done in World 3 now, and there is still just Goombas and Bob-Ombs, when it comes to actual battles.

Does anyone know where is the location of Terra Flora's 1st memory? It's the only thing I am missing from that planet.

I've reached the final boss of the game but I'm gonna finish the last few things I have left to do in each of the previous planets but I'm confused right now, I am missing one planet coin on Pristine Peaks but as far as I am aware, I am missing no side quests (I have done the giant squashette boss)

I think my game is seriously glitched.

Although I've completed all the steps for the secret room in the third world, I finished the room at the same moment that I ran out of time. So now the list items are all checked (including reach the spark), but all three steps were duplicated and now I can't complete the quest as I cannot get the spark twice.

Gonna wrap up Kingdom Battle before starting this. Curious on how ya’ll feel about the sequel compared to the first one?Better/worse/just as good?

I've reached the final boss of the game but I'm gonna finish the last few things I have left to do in each of the previous planets but I'm confused right now, I am missing one planet coin on Pristine Peaks but as far as I am aware, I am missing no side quests (I have done the giant squashette boss)
Check this list of sidequests. Some sidequests involve simply finding hidden items, so they won't appear on the map.

I was also missing a sidequest from Pristine Peaks and that list helped me.

Although I've completed all the steps for the secret room in the third world, I finished the room at the same moment that I ran out of time. So now the list items are all checked (including reach the spark), but all three steps were duplicated and now I can't complete the quest as I cannot get the spark twice.
Wow, that sucks. It definitely sounds like a glitch. I ran into a couple of them during battles, and one inside a Secret Room, but none of them were so bad. :(

Yeah the game seems to be quite buggy for a few people. I've ran into a fair few bugs myself. Sucks to hear that is happening to you though.

Not super fond of the Sillyfish Challenges or the Time-Trial for the Secret Zones.
The camera makes both VERY hard and the characters easily gets stuck in gemoetry, and are a bit awkward to control since you have such a big party in one big bundle around you.
Game is messy and buggy and all over the place, but still very fun. The Giant Boomba fight took a while, I am not sure if I was missing something obvious but I just chipped away at it until it died.

I wanted to wrap up another game first before I started focusing on this and Bayonetta 3 will pull me away again, but I finally put some decent time into this game tonight. I barely entered the sun temple so I’m not far, but I must have about twenty maps under my belt now since I combed the first island thoroughly including the secret door twice.

I’m pretty sure this was in the first game too (it’s been so long I can’t quite remember), but my favorite thing so far is you can pull some Disgaea-like shenanigans given how turns work. You can have people run over to each other at the start of the turn, use your buffs/heals, maybe sneak a dash attack in, and then set up a team jump before going your separate ways to get into the best cover and deal damage. It all feels extra snappy and intuitive now with the grid gone. I’m looking forward to the chaos that full three person teams will bring.

One thing that I feel is worse than the first game... is the background Rabbid shinanigans.
There are still some, that Beepoo will comment on
But they seem very often reused in animation, and seem rarely nearly as funny as the first game's. The Rabbid trying to be 2D Mario glitching through walls in the original was very good.
EDIT
Ugh ok anyone have any tips for the Flora Sillyfish challenge? The camera is horrible for this, I get stuck on gemoetry all the time, and actually grabbing the fish when you have tackled them wastes seconds each time. The fish are truly the worst part of the game for me.
EDIT 2: Oh for fuck's sake if you DO manage to grab the stupid fish your character seems to half the time throw it down the pit instead of the pool. Why is this part of the game so much worse than everything else, I hate it so much.
I will leave this thing for LAST.

Last edited:
Had my first crash yesterday, during the final phase of the last story battle in world 2. That sucked, but at least the game seems to save frequently enough. Hopefully that's the only time it happens 🤞

The game is good. I find it more uneven that KB and I feel like the Mario touch is missing a bit too much for the setting.

Still, mechanically it is even better I would say and the more open exploration, with several shortcuts (!), is well-designed.

I feel like the overworld encounters were not needed tho.

Yeah, as much as I enjoy the Rabbids, it feels a bit TOO much Rabbid stuff and so little Mario stuff/characters.
It is not a game-ruining real or so.
But yeah, I kinda wish we'd get a few more Mario Enemies in battles at least. Hammer Bros throwing Hammers over covers.
Oh, have Wigglers that just walks around the stages, and they count as half covers that moves. If someone accidentally hits them, it will charge that character.

OK, after coming back to this game at the end of the work week and 100%-ing the first two worlds, I think these are my thoughts on the game. I might call back to some things people have said in here:

1. I don't think this is better or worse than Kingdom Battle; just different. However, I am finding that I'm missing two things from Kingdom Battle. The first is the bespoke battle areas. Someone earlier mentioned this, and I do think that there was something about coming up on a battle area in the environment and learning the lay of the land just by walking up to the area was more immersive and visually interesting than the "transported to a battle area" way things are in SoH.
  2. The other thing is turn targets. Having to do a map in three or four or six turns to 100% it gave a sense of urgency to the proceedings. I just finished a fight where I had to kill X number of enemies, but I ended up just camping in one part of the map and letting them come to me even if it took more turns because it was just easier. When you are looking at being on your fifth of six turns in a battle and you know you have to move economically to enemies that are across the map from you in the first game, that's real tension that I think this game is missing in its battles.
  3. I suppose a third thing, now that I think of it, is that there is no cost to a knocked-out party member in this game, whereas you didn't "perfect" a map in Kingdom Battle unless everyone lived through the battle on that map. Ultimately, the battles feel less tense because of these things, but I'm hoping there will be difficulty ramps to make up for it.
  4. On the other hand, the overworld in SoH is far, far better than in KB. I don't necessarily think the sidequests are great, but they're doable and solid enough and NOT the terrible overland puzzles from KB, which I got sick of really quickly. It helps that sidequests end in battles, which are the really fun part of the game.
  5. I think that Sentries and Sparks are a wash. They each have their own interesting gameplay uses. I would love a third Mario and Rabbids game that incorporates the two.
  6. Beep-O did not need full voice acting, and honestly, any voice acting beyond your typical Mario game grunts, laughs, sighs, and beeps are really unnecessary. Maybe you let the Mario characters have their typical short phrases, but that's about it. Maybe Daughter of Beep-O reading the entries on the memories page is fine, but that's about it.
  7. The music is so good, even better than the first game, which was very good as well.
  8. Agreed heavily that the enemies need more inspiration from Mario's universe.
  9. Yoshi for Rosalina is a 10/10 trade and I'd make it every time, and I'm a fan of Yoshi.
That is all for now.

Agreed on a lot of those things, and I am in the 5th world right now.
The game is odd. It is still very fun. But while it does do some things better than KB, it does a bunch worse than KB, too.
Also
Is it just me or are weapon descriptions completely out of whack? They keep mentioning I got them for doing specific battles I have not done yet.
It really lacks a big chunk of polish XD
EDIT
Ok, so, I have lost a few times in places (on Hard), but it has not been super difficult.
This one Flora side quest battle is just kinda crappy tho. Survive for 6 rounds and enemies that can pull your entire party in and does more than 50% damage to each of them with one hit, yeeeahh
This is where the 'random portals' really starts to feel unfair

Last edited:
The legendary Davide Soliani is currently in my twitter DMs and we're hashing out this bug that I'm experiencing. Crazy lol

Agreed on a lot of those things, and I am in the 5th world right now.
The game is odd. It is still very fun. But while it does do some things better than KB, it does a bunch worse than KB, too.
Also
Is it just me or are weapon descriptions completely out of whack? They keep mentioning I got them for doing specific battles I have not done yet.
It really lacks a big chunk of polish XD
EDIT
Ok, so, I have lost a few times in places (on Hard), but it has not been super difficult.
This one Flora side quest battle is just kinda crappy tho. Survive for 6 rounds and enemies that can pull your entire party in and does more than 50% damage to each of them with one hit, yeeeahh
This is where the 'random portals' really starts to feel unfair
I could be wrong, but I think you can destroy the portals. Also a high level Screech, Zephyrstar, and Cryogeddon, went a long way for me in that quest.

Edit: Also I had characters with great range like Rabbid Mario, Bowser, and Peach with a good amount of super mushroom bags and immunity charms.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think you can destroy the portals. Also a high level Screech, Zephyrstar, and Cryobolide went a long way for me in that quest.
Some you can and some you cannot, I think I couldn't for these ones. Just kept Spawning those Black versions of the Tony The Tiger guys, haha. I am sure I can do a bit better to abuse those Sparks and such, yeah, that is true
Just not really 'had' to do that until now at all, so this difficulty spike really surprised me XD
But, will try, thank you.

I cleared the first area. Overall a bit mixed on this game. There's a lot to like. I like the extra customization and I like the quests and the overall feel of areas this time around being something you explore fully instead of being a road you pass through. I think the things I'm not liking as much are the portals in combat and the more "random encounter" feel to a lot of these fights. Overall the game's still quite fun so looking forward to getting a bit further.

I really wanna play this but I haven't even finished the first one.

I feel like a lot of the charming aspects of the first game is... just less, or worse, this time.
Weapon Skins feels much less interesting and just has a few themes that all share.
Backgrounds Rabbids feels like they have way less thought put into them
Extremely little Mario stuff, making it feel less like Rabbids invading Mario universe, and more like Mario visiting Rabbid Universe
Much buggier and wonkier in general, the overworld feels much less packed with detail and feels more generic
--
I complain about it a lot, but I still stand by that the game is still very fun and charming in it's own way. It feels less 'exciting' than the first one. But it is still very much good enough for me to have a lot of fun with
Except for the Sillyfish Challenge. Oh how I hate it.
EDIT
Damn, got the bug where enemies would not take their turn. Three times in a row. Will turn game off and see if it solves it.
I am just not meant to beat this specific challenge, am I, hah

Last edited:
Man, I feel like doing another play through already. Overall I liked it better than Kingdom Battle.

I find the art direction more interesting, the soundtrack is better, gameplay is just as engaging, tho I do prefer replacing weapon changes with the sparks, is more convenient and a better mechanic for the elemental attacks, and no more escort Toad missions. I really liked the exploration, I don't really mind the disconnect between battles and the actual overworlds, because even with that, a lot of main story mission have a pretty good storytelling tie in, the game is a lot more set piece heavy, lot of fights telling their own little story, I love that stuff. I adore the different planets, is nice to have again a Mario game that isn't a 3D platformer that creates its own world, with its brand of new characters, and all feels that is still fits within the Mario universe, which is also why I don't mind it being more Rabbids than Mario, partly it speaks to the versatility of Mario that the fact that is a crossover is usually completely in the back of my mind, and also, I don't think I would get as much new characters like the wardens, or the different enemy rabbids designs for Mario as well. As simple as it was, I loved the story, the amount of background each planet got, is all super cool. It may not be a spiritual successor in terms of gameplay, but Sparks of Hope carries that spark, heart and soul of the best of Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi games, on a level of originality and story for Mario RPGs.

I want another one.

The Sillyfish challenges are singelhandedly making me consider not 100%ing the game
They are that bad
Even just picking one up feels broken :/

Back
Top Bottom