• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Mario Party Superstars - Pre-release Discussion + Hype Thread

Which of the five boards are you most excited for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess one of those is a test board. One could be a scrapped challenge road board like in the Top 100 since that could make sense for 99.

I just love how the colors pop for this game. Still waiting to hear about how online play is from friends, but I'm very close to buying it myself.

I would laugh if the missing sixth bowser board was an update a week after launch
I'd guess one of those is a test board. One could be a scrapped challenge road board like in the Top 100 since that could make sense for 99.
That’s 0 FYI, it’s the common elements file.

Also what if n64 are free boards but we get a gamecube boards paid dlc?

I don't want to get my hopes high for actual post-launch support... but the idea is so exciting, I can't help it.

FCgBv3FVUAQuQMH

FCgBv3HVUAEcPR_

I'm willing to swap out Mario's Rainbow Castle, Western Land and Chilly Waters for Luigi's Engine Room, Bowser Land and/or Spiny Desert; but Waluigi's Island is a MUST.

On the GameCube side there are plenty of other alternative options i'd be cool with; the hardest choice for me is Faire Square vs Snowflake Lake for a MP6 board, but I went with the former for the image.

I'll take any of these boards...
DJ's Jungle Adventure
Bowser Land
Chilly Waters
Deep Bloober Sea
Waluigi's Island

I'd be happy with all of these other than maybe DK's Jungle Adventure. It just seems like a super basic board that doesn't bring much in terms of new mechanics. And we already have kind of a tropical themed board with Yoshi's Tropical Island.

Plus that would be the 3rd board from MP added. There are two boards each from MP and MP 2, but only one from MP3. I feel like the next board is going to be from MP3 with a theme that currently isn't represented in Superstars - either desert or snow.

I don't want to get my hopes high for actual post-launch support... but the idea is so exciting, I can't help it.

FCgBv3FVUAQuQMH

FCgBv3HVUAEcPR_

I'm willing to swap out Mario's Rainbow Castle, Western Land and Chilly Waters for Luigi's Engine Room, Bowser Land and/or Spiny Desert; but Waluigi's Island is a MUST.

On the GameCube side there are plenty of other alternative options i'd be cool with; the hardest choice for me is Faire Square vs Snowflake Lake for a MP6 board, but I went with the former for the image.
We’d still be lacking a bowser board tho

I dunno that I would want anything from MP4. They all were just floating straight lines above the actual background.
That's why Superstars can fix them. All of the boards have aesthetic and layout changes.

Even if Space Land is still exactly what you'd describe a MP4 board to look like, lol.

We’d still be lacking a bowser board tho
Honestly I kinda don't care for any of the Bowser boards. I did mention Bowser Land as an alternative to Western Land if we really need one though.

I have 2 issues with Mario Party 4. The first thing was the floating boards. It’s the worst in the entire series. It wasn’t integrated into the map. That would of course be fixed with a remake. Also, I don’t think the Mini and Mega mechanic was that great. I think the Mini mechanic wasn’t used good enough or in the best of spots on the boards.

Agree with everyone about the MP4 boards. They're awful. Not only do they float and not look natural, but all the turns on the board are right angles. Everything is boxy and rectangular, just like SMP.

What made MP2 and MP3 great were the curvature of the board lanes. There were some hard turns, but many of the boards have winding and undulating paths. It makes things far more interesting and makes the boards feel more natural.

I’d just rather have more remakes of N64 boards first before we move on to GC (which honestly could be a Mario Party Superstars 2, but the mechanics of each game like introducing orbs in MP5 would make things weird).

Quoted by: Sol
Mario Party 4 was a painful transition more than anything. In MP1-3 the boards were pre-rendered backgrounds with the spaces and models on top. Within a year and a bit they had to adjust to rendering everything in realtime, and I guess they just couldn't do it with complex board designs.

This is the week, guys. So hyped!

And I really hope for additional boards. Doesn't matter if they are free updates, DLC or part of NSO, I take them. But for this game, it should stay at N64 boards imo.
Boards I would like to see the most are Mario's Rainbow Castle from MP1, Western Land from MP2 and Chilly Waters from MP3.

Completely agree. They can't move on when there are still so many classic boards from the N64 remaining.

I mean we only have one board from MP3.
Seriously. People talking about GameCube. There’s so many great boards not represented and like you said 3 only has Woody Woods.
Mario Party 4 is supposed to look like a real board game,you can even see the edges of the board and the whoel thing floating over nothing.
And nobody cared for that ugly look. It was one and done.

If they would just add most/all the good boards from 1-3 to Superstars, then they could go ahead and make Superstars 2 all about the Gamecube boards with the capsule mechanics and stuff.

If they would just add most/all the good boards from 1-3 to Superstars, then they could go ahead and make Superstars 2 all about the Gamecube boards with the capsule mechanics and stuff.
I agree. This game should be strictly N64. There’s a lot of boards they can remake for the next could of years.

Do a sequel later for GC. The thing with GC is there are 4 games instead of 3. They can’t do 5 boards from 4 games. They’ll probably do 6 boards lol.

Bet you'd like to see E.Gadd's Garage, eh?
Well... maaaaybe... yeah lol
I agree. This game should be strictly N64. There’s a lot of boards they can remake for the next could of years.

Do a sequel later for GC. The thing with GC is there are 4 games instead of 3. They can’t do 5 boards from 4 games. They’ll probably do 6 boards lol.
But dontcha see, that's just more potential DLC!
Looks like Switch modders figured out how to replace stickers in the game with some of their own.

ahc97kqx2iv71.png
Ohhhh nooo lololol

Well... maaaaybe... yeah lol

But dontcha see, that's just more potential DLC!

Ohhhh nooo lololol
I get it, but I’m thinking from Nintendo’s point of view. DLC will be limited because ND Cube has to move on to the making the next new Mario Party game. They put out 2-3 per generation. Since this game is focused on N64 then give us as much of it. Before you move on because we don’t know when we will get this chance again.

I get it, but I’m thinking from Nintendo’s point of view. DLC will be limited because ND Cube has to move on to the making the next new Mario Party game. They put out 2-3 per generation. Since this game is focused on N64 then give us as much of it. Before you move on because we don’t know when we will get this chance again.
That's true.

I'm with Dark Cloud on potential DLC. Make Superstars all about N64 boards. Save the Gamecube boards for a future Mario Party game.

Hopefully we get 3-5 more boards in the coming months while ND Cube starts preping for Super Mario Party 2 (probably a next gen game)

I'm with Dark Cloud on potential DLC. Make Superstars all about N64 boards. Save the Gamecube boards for a future Mario Party game.

Hopefully we get 3-5 more boards in the coming months while ND Cube starts preping for Super Mario Party 2 (probably a next gen game)

Yep, agree. 3-5 more N64 boards would be outstanding. They've really done an amazing job taking these old boards and rendering them in 3D - and I hope they continue because the community deserves to have many more of those N64 boards remade. They deserve to be appreciated by the new generation.

The other reason I would prefer DLC over work on a new Mario Party is because I have zero faith in ND Cube's ability to make a new Mario Party game. Mario Party 2 and 3 were the height of the MP franchise for me. The boards, the music, the items, mechanics....everything about those games epitomize the very best of Mario Party for me.

And if Super Mario Party is any indication, then ND Cube clearly does not understand what made those older games great. I want them to keep adding as much DLC as possible to Superstars because I have a feeling it's going to be a long period of time before we get something this good again.

It's so weirdly refreshing to see settings and options again after Super just removed player control over anything besides turn count.

XZeKQkU.png
9RRllKV.png
pQIOc7R.png

I saw someone in the comments section of a video say you can do Classic Bonus Stars. I just went through like 15 videos and not a single person is checking the options for Bonus Stars lol. They just leave it at “On”. Come on I need to know if there’s an option for just the classic 3 bonus stars.

I saw someone in the comments section of a video say you can do Classic Bonus Stars. I just went through like 15 videos and not a single person is checking the options for Bonus Stars lol. They just leave it at “On”. Come on I need to know if there’s an option for just the classic 3 bonus stars.
Yo, consistant Classic Bonus Stars (Coin, Minigame, Happening) would be an awesome feature! Hope that's true.

This is the week, guys. So hyped!

And I really hope for additional boards. Doesn't matter if they are free updates, DLC or part of NSO, I take them. But for this game, it should stay at N64 boards imo.
Boards I would like to see the most are Mario's Rainbow Castle from MP1, Western Land from MP2 and Chilly Waters from MP3.
Yes! Someone else who wants Mario’s Rainbow Castle (and to be honest, I also really want to hear a remake of that incredible song for it!)

I’m so excited for this game!!

Okay, update, i've found a picture!

unknown.png

This is a hype as hell addition for me. Actually something I was asking for.

Okay, update, i've found a picture!

unknown.png

This is a hype as hell addition for me. Actually something I was asking for.
Yes! Hell yes I can’t believe they did it. This is huge. This adds the strategy right back into the game taking in account the static bonus stars. Oh man I’m so happy right now.

Let me tame my reaction a little bit with an edit lol

Hot take perhaps but I'd rather they stay all N64 with the boards if there's any DLC, there's still quite a few great boards that didn't make it in so there's enough for one DLC pack. Obviously this isn't going to have multiple DLC packs like Smash or MK.

The GCN boards went from overly simplistic in 4 to quite incoherent messes IMO. The N64 boards are a perfect mix of challenge and keeping it simple

I believe the last time we had a static 3 Bonus Stars was Mario Party 6, then they started to add more Bonus Stars so you didn’t know which 3 you would get at the end. Its been a long time.

It does feel like they are really listening to what people want out of Mario Party with this one, bodes well for the future of the series.

I believe the last time we had a static 3 Bonus Stars was Mario Party 6, then they started to add more Bonus Stars so you didn’t know which 3 you would get at the end. Its been a long time.
Yeah, that's right. 7 and onwards made it so Bonus Stars would be randomly chosen out of a pool of six or more; including some that act more like a comeback mechanic like the Red Space Star and Slowpoke Star.

I'm so glad to have this Classic Bonus Stars option. There's a lot of legitimate strategy in playing around these three stars being handed out at the end. You can intentionally target steals towards a player with a good chance at getting one or more of the bonus stars at the end; try to land on happening spaces to get the Happening Star; etc.

I would love to see Goomba's Greedy Gala.. Definitely my most played board out of the entire franchise.. But I've never played any of the boards that feature in the next game by default so I'll entertain with those first and would be very nice if we get an expansion in due time, but I'm not holding out hope tbh.

I mean, Superstars goes back to the very first generation of Mario Party games, so there kinda has to be a Bowser Board- hopefully it's not the one from the original. To be honest, the only MP1 board I'd like to see remade from the remaining ones is Mario's Rainbow Castle. All the other ones are kinda mediocre or worse versions of boards that came with later entries. So, if there is DLC, I hope they give us more of MP2 and 3. I really want Western Land and Deep Blooper Sea. Fuck Chilly Waters, though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom