• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Yeah, if they were going to end on a rainbow road, they should have sat on the 3DS version, which is by far the best RR course.

They should go for a bowsers castle instead for the finale.

Yep, there's the Desert Tour. Only question is if Yoshi Desert also shows up this Tour, like Animal Tour having DK Mountain and Riverside Park.

I will say that it's amusing that the term "Nitro track" kinda stuck as the term fans use for "new track." Nintendo makes one clever reference to the DS code name in Mario Kart DS to differentiate the new and old courses, and it somehow stuck.

Imagine if "Wii courses" stuck instead, for some reason?
Nitro as a term is just fit for the series, (it's a racing game after all) rhyme with Retro, and I think it's just a cool way of talking about the new tracks.

if we got both Cheese Land and Dry Dry Ruins in the same game, there would be no good desert tracks left for MK9

Oh no. Now I'm stressed for Koopa Cape.

I know the banner leak hasn't missed yet, so it's still the most likely option, but until we see it in Wave 5 officially, I'm going to be biting my nails. Airship Fortress was one thing, but I will be so sad if my favorite track of all time misses.

(That said, DDR looks awesome already and I want them both. I want them all!)

Koopa Cape in Tour is extremely rough

The colors are bland, the unique signs and set pieces got simplified, replaced, or even just removed, and it feels boring to play now

Plus DDR has never been remade, and prioritizing non-remade tracks (in my opinion) should be the focus

Ideally we would have gotten both, but that timeline seems impossible

Mondo's chart shows that there are at least 3 more Wii courses currently being worked on for Tour, no need to start losing your minds when each one gets announced.

I will say that it's amusing that the term "Nitro track" kinda stuck as the term fans use for "new track." Nintendo makes one clever reference to the DS code name in Mario Kart DS to differentiate the new and old courses, and it somehow stuck.

Imagine if "Wii courses" stuck instead, for some reason?
Nitro's a term outside of Nintendo hardware though, and one pretty relevant to racing, also goes along well with retro, which is a actual term. I really don't see how it's confusing, it seems rather obvious to me why the term's stuck.

doesn't 8D already have a Dry Dry Ruins?
No, Dry Dry Desert. Definitely see why it’s confusing though.

Not too torn up about not getting Dry Dry Ruins in the BCP, personally. It’s a good desert track, but definitely one of the weaker Wii tracks overall, and Koopa Cape is much better in my opinion. Certainly wouldn’t be opposed to seeing it in in a theoretical BCP2 though.

I do think there's a (very small) chance that a GCN track was scrapped entirely, which caused Maple Treeway to be moved to Wave 3, while still leaving us with three more Wii slots (one in Wave 5, two in Wave 6).

In this scenario I think the final 7 courses would be:
Koopa Cape
Sunset Wilds
Daisy Cruiser
SNES Bowser's Castle
DK Mountain
Dry Dry Ruins
Wii Rainbow Road

There isn't a single GameCube track I'd replace with Dry Dry Ruins under any circumstance if given the choice. Let the GameCube get tracks damn it, Wii has had enough love.

The fact that we basically know ALL the retro tracks left and nothing can come from N64/DS/7 definitely kind of deflates my hype for the future of the BCP as a whole from like a fun expectation perspective. I'll still play the tracks and enjoy them, but there's nothing SNES or GBA related that is ever going to really excite me coming back unfortunately because I just don't have the same love for those games.

Nitro's a term outside of Nintendo hardware though, and one pretty relevant to racing, also goes along well with retro, which is a actual term. I really don't see how it's confusing, it seems rather obvious to me why the term's stuck.

When I first saw it I thought it was someone's category for tracks suitable for a certain boosting technique or something. And that was after I'd played MKDS to death and worked with a Nitro Dev Kit.
Using the word * new * works for me, the asterisks are optional.

I hope the layout itself gets a big glow up. The Tour version is so boring. Not as butchered as Sky Garden or Cheep Cheep Island, but close.
Unfortunately that won't be the case. The layout for all the tracks are the same on both games by the nature of being a port of the Tour version.

I don't care which tracks make it in at the end.. except for Daisy Cruiser.

I will never rest until I get Daisy Cruiser
I would honestly say Daisy Cruiser is a lock in my opinion, I just can't see it not being one of the 3 remaining GCN tracks. It's a 2022 Tour course so I would say chances are high.

GCN Bowser Castle should honestly be one of the remaining 3 but I don’t see it as that likely
The Bowser Castle we are most likely getting is probably one of the SNES ones for the final SNES slot. It is datamined for Tour after all and we could get a killer Super Mario World final boss remix with it so I'm all for it.

Why do they change the GBA courses so drastically in Tour? Like, they don’t really do the same for courses from any other game, not even SNES, do they? What compels them to majorly alter the layouts for GBA courses? Surely there must be some reason for it if it’s a consistent thing that only really happens to GBA courses, right?

Why do they change the GBA courses so drastically in Tour? Like, they don’t really do the same for courses from any other game, not even SNES, do they? What compels them to majorly alter the layouts for GBA courses? Surely there must be some reason for it if it’s a consistent thing that only really happens to GBA courses, right?
They are 2D courses like SNES but unlike SNES, there isn't a nostalgia factor involved so they give it a full remake treatment whereas the SNES courses keep very faithful.

Quoted by: Tye
As Skipper said, they were given a full remake treatment like any courses post-SNES. Seems like the decision to alter the layouts was also a carry-over from how they alter GBA tracks in 8's DLC (Cheese Land and Ribbon Road) but in a much greater scale (possible to accommodate Tour's gameplay more)

Quoted by: Tye
They are 2D courses like SNES but unlike SNES, there isn't a nostalgia factor involved so they give it a full remake treatment whereas the SNES courses keep very faithful.
As Skipper said, they were given a full remake treatment like any courses post-SNES. Seems like the decision to alter the layouts was also a carry-over from how they alter GBA tracks in 8's DLC (Cheese Land and Ribbon Road) but in a much greater scale (possible to accommodate Tour's gameplay more)
I’m specifically talking about course layouts here, not just visual changes, because it seems like no other courses except GBA ones are given such extreme layout changes in Tour. I can understand changing them to better accommodate Tour’s gameplay…but then why don’t we see other courses get that same kind of treatment, not even SNES? And I doubt it has to do with lack of nostalgia, because from what I understand (never really played much Super Circuit myself so I’m not very familiar with the original courses, personally) the layout changes for GBA games in Tour have been for the worse, not better, so why would they bother to change the layouts only to make them worse? Though maybe they’re not really worse and people are just complaining about them not being faithful to the original layouts, but going off of the discussion I’ve seen online about it it would appear that many people find them to be worse.

I’m specifically talking about course layouts here, not just visual changes, because it seems like no other courses except GBA ones are given such extreme layout changes in Tour. I can understand changing them to better accommodate Tour’s gameplay…but then why don’t we see other courses get that same kind of treatment, not even SNES? And I doubt it has to do with lack of nostalgia, because from what I understand (never really played much Super Circuit myself so I’m not very familiar with the original courses, personally) the layout changes for GBA games in Tour have been for the worse, not better, so why would they bother to change the layouts only to make them worse? Though maybe they’re not really worse and people are just complaining about them not being faithful to the original layouts, but going off of the discussion I’ve seen online about it it would appear that many people find them to be worse.
Super Circuit courses generally have more complex layouts than Super Mario Kart courses, so Tour may need to simplify them more in order to make them work, accounting for things like scaling in three dimensions, adding elevation, preventing skips, as well as making them more playable under Tour's mechanics

Random - I tried playing this last week...possibly before Wave 4 was out..I saw Birdo as a character, went to select, but was told I needed to have the NSO Expansion but I do have it..or..I think I do, lol. I have access to GBA games. Is the Mario Kart Expansion Pass separate or should I be good and I just likely tried to access at a weird time.

Random - I tried playing this last week...possibly before Wave 4 was out..I saw Birdo as a character, went to select, but was told I needed to have the NSO Expansion but I do have it..or..I think I do, lol. I have access to GBA games. Is the Mario Kart Expansion Pass separate or should I be good and I just likely tried to access at a weird time.
If you saw Birdo, then your game was definitely updated... have you actually downloaded the DLC from the e-Shop? Since you have the NSO expansion, it should let you download it when you go onto the Booster Course Pass e-Shop page.

If you saw Birdo, then your game was definitely updated... have you actually downloaded the DLC from the e-Shop? Since you have the NSO expansion, it should let you download it when you go onto the Booster Course Pass e-Shop page.
LOL, no, I did not. God, lol. I am clueless. Thank you!

SNES tracks layouts were very simple, and for being the first game in the series mean it got a nostalgia treatment where most things were kept as is.

The original GBA tracks were quite complex, featuring lot of sharp or hairpin turns. As Super Circuit features very sharp drifting (you can do a 180 in seconds) compared to Tour's arguably sluggish drift system. So a lot of the track's potion are simplify to accommodate that.

Take Cheep Cheep Island for example, the original features basically only 90 degree turning and long straight line. There was even one big island that has most of its land blocked out so it's just waste space anyway.

1280px-Cheepcheepisland.png

(The less said about that railing that stick out to nowhere the better.)

The Tour version greatly simplify this for the sake of the game

MKT_Map_CheepCheepIslandGBA.png

This is the case for all GBA tracks in Tour. But really it was only Sky Garden that people has been giving flaks because that one just removed too much of the track out. Sunset Wild, Cheep Cheep Island, Boo Lake, and Snow Land has been received with more praises than negatives. (The latter two closely resembles the original map layout more, Snow Land in particular is basically the same without the mushroom shortcut from the original)

Unfortunately that won't be the case. The layout for all the tracks are the same on both games by the nature of being a port of the Tour version.

We've seen some track model altercations in the last few waves. Peach Gardens increased the size of the first flower patch to be a little closer to DS / Wii, and added the whole extra route at the start of Lap 3 (making an enterance in the hedges and adding a path; in Tour there is no gap and the path is a straight line with no collision). Singapore expanded a few roads to better facilitate the chosen route (new grass shortcut exiting Chinatown to the right, not something you ever do in Tour; and an extended road turning from SS2 to SS3, the original would have been a very tight turn).

I was hoping for something with Riverside but it didn't happen, but I wouldn't rule out Sunset Wilds getting some extra attention just yet. It WILL need it considering the unique time of day gimmick between laps.

There is one reason that hasn't been covered above... as far as some of the courses are concerned at least (i'll get to that). Many wouldn't remember now, but when Tour launched you could not steer and drift at the same time; only one or the other; so all of the content that was being designed before and around launch was created with this in mind. Some modern Mario Kart tracks are decently managable without drifting (not in 8's 200cc obviously, but Tour's ccs are slower than the 8 equivalents); the early cities are too; but not Super Circuit tracks, at least without modifications. That includes...

Sunset Wilds, known to be one of the earliest courses worked on for the game. Though it ended up being finalised in 2020 based on render dates, it was demonstratably in the works before that. That grace period would reasonably extend to other tracks dated to 2020 and 2021; being Cheep-Cheep Island and Sky Garden. This almost would've worked out with courses finalized in 2022 including Snow Land (very faithful) and Boo Lake (mostly faithful with smart altercations); but then there's Riverside as a little wrench in that idea. I think they went a little too far in cutting the opening turns from that course, but I guess it isn't too dissimilar to how Ribbon Road's most difficult ending turns were replaced with a straightforward gliding segment. The problem is that Riverside didn't replace any of the cut turns to compensate, so it ends up being a very short course. Sky Garden is on a whole other level I do not want to get started on though.

MKSC_Ribbon_Road_Mini_Map.png
MK8DX_GBA_Ribbon_Road_Map.png

The GBA Bowser Castle tracks are a special exception here since despite the first two showing up early in the game's life (and 3 being ready since 2020), they do mostly follow the original layouts; also notably remaining flat. Perhaps they view them as deserving to be "challenging" as Bowser courses; perhaps ripping GBA BC1 from 7 as a base forced them to follow the templates closer (this is why most of the courses for GCN and beyond are more faithful; they have a model to use as a base); or perhaps being flat made them follow the same ideology as the SNES courses; maybe some combination of the three ideas.

We'll just have to see how Yoshi Desert and Luigi Circuit shape up in Tour; the first indications of them popped up in in 2021 so I don't think we're in pre-launch or launch period creation territory anymore.

Last edited:
Ah, okay, thanks for the info! I was gonna say, some of these city courses from Tour have some very sharp turns so it’s weird that they’d remove the sharp turns from the GBA courses while making new courses with similarly sharp turns, but I think that’s mostly the later city courses (and may not even be present in the Tour versions, I’m not sure) so I guess that would match up with the earlier created GBA courses for Tour being simplified more.

I'm starting to think the city courses are dragging down the game, they're so subpar and ugly.
I'd agree with Wave 1/2/3, but the city tracks from Wave 4 and the other city tracks already in Tour are a big improvement from those. They're much more diverse in terms of layout and setting. For example, Los Angeles Laps only has a small city section. The rest of the track is a beach, an oil field, and a amusement park. Vancouver Velocity has an autumn park , a hockey rink, and a winter park with high banked suspension bridges. Far cry from the basic city tracks from Wave 1.

Back
Top Bottom