• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I want Funky more but if Diddy doesn't make the cut in MK8 again it'd be insane. I'd honestly just prefer to get both kongs and save Pauline for the next game.

Praying for my boy Funky making a glorious return 🙏

The ONLY exception is if it means he's in the base roster for Mario Kart X on Switch 2 (along with GCN Rainbow Road)

Feeling even more confident now in that mobDK track being old school DK/'94 themed and the final two picks being Pauline and DK Jr.

Like, I hear y'all. Diddy was snubbed in MK8.

But know who's been snubbed since MK64?

He's the last actual OG left. They are doing the whole historical racer framing thing with these reveals.

It's happening.

Diddy is a lock. Just a question of who the final character is.

My heart desperately wants Funky, but realistically it could be anyone from Tour.

To spread out the "new"-labeled tracks, getting Piranha Plant Cove being in this wave would not be totally weird. I always thought it was weird wave 6 had three non-labeled tracks, while the others all had one.

Then it would be:
Wave 5: Piranha Plant Cove & Squeaky Clean Sprint
Wave 6: mobdk & unknown new track

Only thing that will happen if this is the case, is that one of the city tracks originally planned for wave 5 will be pushed back to wave 6. If that's true, then I think we will see Athens and LA in this wave.

Diddy being left out of MK8 again would be funny but basically a crime to do at this point. 😂

Feel like he's a lock and then the last character is adjacent to the Donkey Kong brand. (Pauline, Funky, longshot Dixie)

To spread out the "new"-labeled tracks, getting Piranha Plant Cove being in this wave would not be totally weird. I always thought it was weird wave 6 had three non-labeled tracks, while the others all had one.

Then it would be:
Wave 5: Piranha Plant Cove & Squeaky Clean Sprint
Wave 6: mobdk & unknown new track

Only thing that will happen if this is the case, is that one of the city tracks originally planned for wave 5 will be pushed back to wave 6. If that's true, then I think we will see Athens and LA in this wave.
I don't think it's so weird to have a lot of nitros in Wave 6. Nintendo probably thinks that all-new tracks are what we want, so I can see them putting a lot of these nitro trakcs in the last wave as a surprise for the big finale.

Been so focused on SMB Wonder that I didn't get to weigh in here!

It's kinda surreal seeing the bathroom level after hearing about the datamined Tour track for nearly a year now. Like...wow, it's actually here. lol. I'm curious to see how it shakes out in practice. Lots of great details, from the SMB1 tiles on the wall to the Mario cap wearing rubber duck to the Winged Biddybud clock and the themed bath products.

Out of the characters, Kamek is the most exciting because it 1) lets us live out the "What could have been" dreams from MK64 on console and 2) it means Tour characters are definitely on the menu. Still hoping for Pauline, and wishing we had more characters in general!

Bathroom track looks great. The scope reminds me of Ribbon Road, with being super small in a regular sized room but instead of a toy wonderland it's....cleaning stuff lol.

Hopefully our Wave 5 trailer drops and it releases before August.

So it looks like our final Waves will be....

Feather Cup:
  • Athens Dash
  • Mushroom Bridge
  • Koopa Cape
  • Los Angeles Laps
Cherry Cup:
  • Rome Raceway
  • Sunset Wilds
  • Daisy Cruiser/SNES Bowser Castle 3
  • Squeaky Clean Sprint
Acorn Cup:
  • Vancouver Velocity
  • Daisy Cruiser/SNES Bowser Castle 3
  • Sarasaland
  • Unknown Mario Kart 8 exclusive nitro (maybe New Donk City?]
Spiny Cup:
  • Madrid Motorways
  • Piranha Plant Cove
  • DK Mountain
  • Wii Rainbow Road
Pretty good lineup if you ask me. Wave 6 could be the best two cups in the entire game if the Nitro tracks keep up the quality found in previous Nitros.

Considering MK8 already has Link, inkling boys and girls, animal crossing villagers, etc... I wonder if there's even a tiny chance that they add Kirby and a Kirby-themed course in the final wave.

I have been wanting a playable Kamek ever since I fell in love with his design playing Mario World as a kid and then seeing him cruelly taken away from us in MK64. Honestly I'm legitimately stoked he's finally playable in a console Mario Kart.

Yeah a DK themed final wave with Diddy + another Kong (hopefully Dixie, likely Funky) seems like a good bet to me now.

The Bathroom course looks better than I imagined! Excited to see Wiggler riding a motorcycle and it is cool Kamek finally has his day. Diddy Kong is a hard lock which is good, but darn I have so many conflicting hopes for the final slot and I’m sad we can only have one. Pauline is the front runner imo and I’d be very happy to see her join the roster. Would love to see Funky return, but I’d be most thrilled overall to see Dixie Kong. There’s others out there I’d love like King Bomb-omb and ROB too. Pain, lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we get new Tour trailers at 2AM on Thursdays. I'm not sure how it works for cities though.
We get trailers for the next tour Fridays at 2AM. Although lately they have been sharing screenshots of the new tracks Thursdays at 2AM.

Rome is my favourite city in Europe and it’s a dream come true seeing this in Mario Kart. Hope they don’t butcher the track. And I hope that it will be unique enough compared to Athens.

The amount of truly ancient games that Nintendo keeps relying on for the Switch is... well let's just hope we won't have to wait 10 years for a new 2D Mario or Mario Kart again, and this was a fluke from the Wii U / HD transition period.

Anyways, KAMEK'S IN?!1 They're my favourite evil nanny dino wizard!

This booster course pass is an utterly insane amount of content, despite the tracks themselves not always being great. The music is though, and having such a large roster of tracks helps online play tremendously.

It's nothing important or serious, but how strange and even anticlimactic for me is that we are going to receive 1-3-2 characters instead of 1-2-3 which was the logical thing to do. I understand that it was to keep the 3 enemies together, but they could have taken out the next 2 in wave 5 and Kamek and the rest in wave 6.

Considering they made a big deal out of Wiggler and Petey being from 7 and DD respectively, I expect the last two characters to be Diddy and Funky, with Funky being highlighted as being from MK Wii.

Quoted by: Tye
What if this is all a massive ruse and the last wave just adds enough characters to fill the spots we had, then add a new column? 🤔

It's nothing important or serious, but how strange and even anticlimactic for me is that we are going to receive 1-3-2 characters instead of 1-2-3 which was the logical thing to do. I understand that it was to keep the 3 enemies together, but they could have taken out the next 2 in wave 5 and Kamek and the rest in wave 6.
I think we could have another surprise to accompany these 2 characters.
Wave 5 : 3 characters
Wave 6 : 2 characters + vehicle parts ?

If there is a surprise, vehicle parts is the most likely one imo

Considering they made a big deal out of Wiggler and Petey being from 7 and DD respectively, I expect the last two characters to be Diddy and Funky, with Funky being highlighted as being from MK Wii.
They didn’t “make a big deal” about it, they just listed the game of origin for each character like they did for Birdo, and as they do for the courses. And they did the same with Kamek coming from Tour. I’d be shocked if we didn’t get a second character from Tour (with Pauline being the most obvious choice).

funky over diddy is straight up delusional. It’s not happening.

Funky over Pauline is still delusional but not as much.

Funky’s dead.

The best scenario is that they group together a previous character with other one and add diddy, funky and pauline in final wave.

I'm a bit out of the loop here, why exactly are people specifically expecting Diddy and Pauline to be the last characters?

Quoted by: Tye
I'm a bit out of the loop here, why exactly are people specifically expecting Diddy and Pauline to be the last characters?
They just seem to make the most sense. Diddy is a no-brainer, given his popularity and seniority in Mario Kart (and the fact that if we get a second Kong, it has to be him), and Pauline is the obvious choice for a second character from Tour, especially since she’s started to become a staple character in Mario spin-offs after appearing in Odyssey.

Also, assuming we get the “mobdk” course (which is totally gonna be a Donkey Kong course—and I’m personally expecting it to be based on the original arcade Donkey Kong at that, since we already have the other flavor of DK represented with 3DS DK Jungle) in Wave 6, it would make a lot of sense to include two Donkey Kong characters along with it, which Diddy and Pauline both are (and I really don’t see us getting Diddy and Funky instead—plus Pauline is much more interesting than what is essentially not much more than a DK palette swap).

If mobdk is a DK track, then DK Mountain likely won’t happen in the same wave. But then again, a possible DK track would also have an overlap in theming with Dino Dino Jungle.

If mobdk is a DK track, then DK Mountain likely won’t happen in the same wave. But then again, a possible DK track would also have an overlap in theming with Dino Dino Jungle.
I don’t think there’s gonna be any sort of overlap regardless, DK Jungle covers that base very well already. Realistically, if it is DK themed, it’ll either be based on the Arcade game (with Pauline) or Tropical Freeze (with Funky).

What if the potential DK track is based on DKC2 with Diddy as its rep... Gangplank Galleon and all?
anything's possible, but outside of the general kongo jungle theming it's very rare that DKC gets any representation in spinoffs

Last edited:
Yeah but we just got Yoshi's Island... 🤔
yoshi's island (or its general aesthetic at least) actually does have a history of popping up in pretty unusual spots, like golf world tour. in any case it's been relevant for way longer than crocodile isle was, even back when the kremlings were around consistently

i don't want to rain on anyone's parade because it's honestly my favorite DKC setting by a long shot, but it would be a VERY strange deep cut to make out of nowhere

Definitely on the Diddy and Pauline train for Wave 6, unless they really want to save Pauline for Mario Kart 10 to be a big new addition. Really thought Funky was a lock, moreso than Kamek, but I guess not.

Unless we suddenly get an extra row lol, but I doubt that.

yoshi's island (or its general aesthetic at least) actually does have a history of popping up in pretty unusual spots, like golf world tour. in any case it's been relevant for way longer than crocodile isle was, even back when the kremlings were around consistently

i don't want to rain on anyone's parade because it's honestly my favorite DKC setting by a long shot, but it would be a VERY strange deep cut to make out of nowhere
I mean, you're right.

But just IMAGINE the mk8 team's rendition of Gangplank Galleon 😭

MobDK is most likely NOT a Donkey Kong track, just for the record
At this point, there's no strong evidence either way. The IDs are becoming less and less reliable the further out we get, so the Daisy/Desert correlation isn't particularly compelling at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom