• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
I'm in agreement. Next week sounds right, timing wise.

We're not talking courses - we're talking the exclusive characters. Though on that note, if Tour has exclusive battle courses, I wonder if those will ever come to MK8D.
Oh, my bad. I misunderstood. I was super hoping we would have gotten a "bonus character" with each wave, when we were initially awaiting the first release.

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood. I was super hoping we would have gotten a "bonus character" with each wave, when we were initially awaiting the first release.
I would love to see some extra characters. People have ported some over in mods and the animations and such work great. Even as, like, a 5 dollar pack, it would be a nice bonus to bring a few over.

It's so bittersweet that the best MK roster, even all the alts aside, is stuck in a gotcha game when MK8D is actively being expanded over the next two years.

MK9 (or whatever the next one is called) better show up and make use of these assets.

I would love to see some extra characters. People have ported some over in mods and the animations and such work great. Even as, like, a 5 dollar pack, it would be a nice bonus to bring a few over.
Yeah. I think it's unlikely, though.

I'm very much looking forward to the next wave of tracks, and all of the DLC, really. Super pumped we're getting that.

Even though we already have 3DS Piranha Plant Slide in Mario Kart 8, it's still really impressive to see yet another new Retro track make its Tour debut. Not only is the quantity of 2022's Tour support outpacing 2021 by a fairly significant margin, but the content is much higher effort too. Separate the "Low Effort" tracks (City Variants, RMXs, and any reused SNES/GBA themes) from the "High Effort tracks" (Nitros, Non-iterative Retros), and the numbers look pretty good for 2022.
  • 2019 (7 Tours)
    • Low Effort: 3
      • City Variant: 1
      • RMX: 0
      • Retro: 2
    • High Effort: 24
      • Nitro: 4
      • Retro: 20
  • 2020 (26 Tours)
    • Low Effort: 11
      • City Variant: 5
      • RMX: 4 (Counting Kalimari Desert 2)
    • High Effort: 13
      • Nitro: 3
      • Retro: 10
  • 2021 (26 Tours)
    • Low Effort: 13
      • City Variant: 7
      • RMX: 4
    • High Effort: 5
  • 2022 (15 Tours)
      • City Variant: 3
      • Retro: 0
    • High Effort: 12
      • Retro: 9
This is almost certainly happening due to the BCP, but I'm very curious as to whether this rate of new content will continue through 2023 or if they're frontloading everything now to try and attract as many new consumers as possible.

Even though we already have 3DS Piranha Plant Slide in Mario Kart 8, it's still really impressive to see yet another new Retro track make its Tour debut. Not only is the quantity of 2022's Tour support outpacing 2021 by a fairly significant margin, but the content is much higher effort too. Separate the "Low Effort" tracks (City Variants, RMXs, and any reused SNES/GBA themes) from the "High Effort tracks" (Nitros, Non-iterative Retros), and the numbers look pretty good for 2022.
  • 2019 (7 Tours)
      • City Variant: 1
    • High Effort: 24
      • Nitro: 4
      • Retro: 20
  • 2020 (26 Tours)
    • Low Effort: 11
      • City Variant: 5
      • RMX: 4 (Counting Kalimari Desert 2)
    • High Effort: 13
      • Retro: 10
  • 2021 (26 Tours)
    • Low Effort: 13
      • City Variant: 7
      • RMX: 4
    • High Effort: 5
  • 2022 (15 Tours)
      • City Variant: 3
      • Retro: 0
    • High Effort: 12
      • Retro: 9
This is almost certainly happening due to the BCP, but I'm very curious as to whether this rate of new content will continue through 2023 or if they're frontloading everything now to try and attract as many new consumers as possible.
Part of it is definitely due to the pass, but I think also those lean days of getting so many variants and remixes last year could've also been due to the plan getting thrown off with the pandemic, making higher-effort stuff a little more difficult to realize.

In any case, the rollout this year has been killing it. At least with courses. Still always hoping for more original characters, but at least one seems to be coming soon.

I love how the Event Speculation thread has had more MK8D discussion today than the ST has had in a while. That's the power of that thread.

Really looking forward to a trailer some time soon! Maybe we can try and organize some games once they're released.

Suddenly got extremely excited!! Hoping the trailer comes sooner rather than later, but I have a feeling this is the week! Hype!
We have to will it in this week collectively. The timing just feels perfect!

Between Kirby tiday and the rumored Pokémon direct tomorrow, it’s looking more and more likely that we’re gonna have to wait yet another week for a chance at Wave 2.

Who would’ve thought the wait for these tracks would be longer than the wait for most of the Smash DLC lol

Between Kirby tiday and the rumored Pokémon direct tomorrow, it’s looking more and more likely that we’re gonna have to wait yet another week for a chance at Wave 2.

Who would’ve thought the wait for these tracks would be longer than the wait for most of the Smash DLC lol
It's not coming next week or the week after that, there's tournaments set for those dates. That 7-11 ad ends on Saturday (Sunday for Japan) so it's probably coming on Friday.

It's not coming next week or the week after that, there's tournaments set for those dates. That 7-11 ad ends on Saturday (Sunday for Japan) so it's probably coming on Friday.
I’m not gonna buy into the tournament idea too hard, but that checks out. Hopefully it’s this week and not pushed all the way back into August.

It's amazing how the wait for wave 2 has been so gruelling, but like, we're just gonna see wave 3 at the September Direct in only 2 months lol

It's amazing how the wait for wave 2 has been so gruelling, but like, we're just gonna see wave 3 at the September Direct in only 2 months lol

Where is the 'nah' button?

I think they will do fine with announcing and releasing the next dlc after this alongside the Pokémon launch at their busiest shopping time of the year.

Last edited:
So..twitter drop tomorrow?
I see two ways forward if it’s this week. Either we get it in the morning 6:00 AM Pacific time tweet tomorrow or it’s just announced right when it drops.

No way it’s Xenoblade week, but I guess Live A Live week is possible since Nintendo of Japan isn’t publishing it. Really hoping it’s still this week, Live A Live would get even more buried. Worst case it is the first week in August, but then Nintendo loses all wiggle room for future wave releases.

I see two ways forward if it’s this week. Either we get it in the morning 6:00 AM Pacific time tweet tomorrow or it’s just announced right when it drops.

No way it’s Xenoblade week, but I guess Live A Live week is possible since Nintendo of Japan isn’t publishing it. Really hoping it’s still this week, Live A Live would get even more buried. Worst case it is the first week in August, but then Nintendo loses all wiggle room for future wave releases.
I don't think the wiggle room really matters. Nintendo is anything but consistent when it comes to long-term game support timeframes. Sometimes it'll take months for the next update to drop, only for the following update to drop just one additional month after.

Since tomorrow is the start of a new tour, do you guys think that would have some sort of impact on wave two’s announcement?

Speaking of, last night I had a dream where Nintendo dropped the trailer and they showcased both GBA Sunset Wilds and Tour Amsterdam Drift in it. They also showed new select characters from Tour would be coming over in the later waves, and even a Shy Guy skin as well!

Weird that they didn't release them this Tour, but here's one newcomer coming to Tour eventually.

Cpb00176.png

Weird that they didn't release them this Tour, but here's one newcomer coming to Tour eventually.

Cpb00176.png
Not content with being an item, now Piranha Plant wishes to join the race on its own terms.

...kinda wild that the plant got a slot in Tour before, like, Paratroopa or the two MK7 newcomers not in 8.

...kinda wild that the plant got a slot in Tour before, like, Paratroopa or the two MK7 newcomers not in 8.
Well Honey Queen has had signs since day one, and there's reason to believe both Paratroopa and Wiggler will come eventually (gaps in an alphabetical listing of characters that perfectly fit both).

Well Honey Queen has had signs since day one, and there's reason to believe both Paratroopa and Wiggler will come eventually (gaps in an alphabetical listing of characters that perfectly fit both).
Come on, Tour. Give us Everyone is Here. I don't care if it pisses off the MK8D fans, I just wanna see it happen.

speaking of which, I'm sure Foreman Spike and Cranky Kong will be both added to Tour to promote the Illumination movie; They're the only characters of the announced cast that aren't in MKT

Back
Top Bottom