• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Jeremy Parish's Video Works series |ST|

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him
Jeremy Parish just posted a NES Works 1988 video for the public on Bases Loaded & Lee Trevino Fighting Golf.

Currently only available to Patrons of Jeremy are a video on Life Force & World Class Track Meet (a pack-in for the Power Pad) and a video on Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode. Jeremy has also been posting videos on Segaiden 1985 and Famicom 1985 recently. I'll try posting each new public video as they appear on Wednesday.

edit: Jeremy Parish's Patreon is https://www.patreon.com/gamespite/

Edit2: Threadmark #1: NES Works episode 84: Life Force and World Class Track
Threadmark #2: NES Works Gaiden episode 29: Kid Dracula (age restricted)
threadmark #3: NES Works episode 85- Golgo 13:Top Secret Episode
Threadmark 4: Segaiden #18 Zoom 909/Choplifter/Pitfall II
Threadmark 5: Segaiden #19 - Doki Doki Penguin Land & Drol
Threadmark 6: Segaiden episode 20 - Chack 'N Pop & Bank Panic
Threadmark 7 - Segaiden #21: Rock 'N Bolt/Elevator Action/Sokoban
Threadmark 8: NES Works episode 86 - Legendary Wings/Xevious/Galaga
Threadmark 9: NES Works Gaiden episode 30 - Antarctic Adventure/Yie Ar Kung Fu/Ninja-kun
Threadmark 10: Segaiden episode 22 - Championship Lode Runner/H.E.R.O./Champion Ice Hockey
Threadmark 11: Segaiden episode 23 - Hang On II & Bomb Jack
Threadmark 12: Segaiden #24- Mark III/Hang On/Teddy Boy Blues
Threadmark 13-NES Works Gaiden episode 31: Chack 'N Pop/Dig Dug/Flappy
Threadmark #14: Segaiden #25- C-So!/The Castle/Gulkave
Threadmark #15- Segaiden #26: Ninja Princess/Super Tank/Champion Kendo
Threadmark #16- Segaiden #27: Graphics Tablet/Wonder Boy/Champion Billiards
Threadmark #17: NES Works episode 87: Hudson's Adventure Island and Milon's Secret Castle.

Threadmark #18 and so continue from page 2 of this thread.

Last edited:
I've recently got back into watching his stuff. Great videos with a perspective of history and overview into games I would never have learned about beforehand. Also enjoyed is Limited Run series, although as an employee he couldn't review the games quite like he does in his Works series.

I'm stoked that he created a playlist of his videos in Chronological release order (not the order he himself posted them). It helps merge Segaiden and NES Works and NES Works Gaiden etc.

I've recently got back into watching his stuff. Great videos with a perspective of history and overview into games I would never have learned about beforehand. Also enjoyed is Limited Run series, although as an employee he couldn't review the games quite like he does in his Works series.

I'm stoked that he created a playlist of his videos in Chronological release order (not the order he himself posted them). It helps merge Segaiden and NES Works and NES Works Gaiden etc.
Yes, and he plans to end 1988 coverage with the Master System caught up with the NES and Atari 7800. Next year's Cassette Vision and Super Cassette Vision miniseries should also be interesting as well.

I've grown to appreciate the SG-1000 quite a bit with the Segaiden coverage (and the ColecoVision as well since that is very similar to the SG-1000)
I'm waiting to dig into them because every time I watch a new set of videos from him I want to buy stuff I can't afford 😂

I'm a big fan of this channel.

Also check out Chrontendo because he also does Famicom games in addition to North American games.

I'm looking forward to Chrontendo Episode 59 which will include Megami Tensei 2, Crystalis, Power Blade/Power Blazer and Ninja Gaiden II.

Thank you for making this thread! This is an essential video series for any retro enthusiast given the efforts Jeremy has been undertaking lately to provide historical context around a number of the releases.

Thank you for making this thread! This is an essential video series for any retro enthusiast given the efforts Jeremy has been undertaking lately to provide historical context around a number of the releases.
It definitely is and you're welcome. The NES and SNES videos are what pleases the algorithm as Jeremy has said on Twitter but his 8-bit Sega content is important too even though it drives the metrics off a cliff (Jeremy at least is able to do so without worry). Things are going to pick up as far as the Sega stuff now that he's reached the MyCard games for the SG-1000 (and later on for the early Mark III/Master System).

NES Works Episode 84: Life Force & World Class Track Meet

Just released for the public is the NES Works episode that looks at both of August 1988's NES releases. The awesome Gradius followup Life Force and the Power Pad pack-in World Class Track Meet which is almost the same game as the much rarer Stadium Events. For Patrons, two age-restricted videos on Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode and Kid Dracula.

NES Works Gaiden #29: Kid Dracula (age restricted video)

This week's public video is Jeremy's annual Halloween video on Castlevania with the Mega Man-inspired Castlevania parody game Kid Dracula for the Famicom. It's age restricted because of Sexy Parodius footage. It's another great video though. For Patrons, there is an age restricted video on Golgo 13 Top Secret Episode and a new Segaiden episode that covers Zoom 909, Choplifter, and Pitfall II for the SG-1000 and Jeremy plans to run through the rest of the SG-1000 to close out the year (7 more episodes I think?)

Love these videos, ideal when getting up on slow morning to down a coffee on or late in the night before going to bed.

NES Works Episode 85: Golgo 13 Top Secret Episode (age-restricted)

This week's public video is an age-restricted video on Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode which was publisher Vic Tokai's debut on the NES. An ambitious but flawed licensed video game, it's amazing what Nintendo of America let the game keep in. Jeremy also briefly explains what gekiga is and discusses Golgo 13's late creator, Takao Saito. For Patrons, two Segaiden episodes, one on Zoom 909/Choplifter/Pitfall II and the other on Doki Doki Penguin Land & Drol.

Last edited:
Parish releasing two age-restricted public releases in two weeks? He's playing chicken with the algorithm. :p

Meanwhile, I'm rolling back to watch the new videos he added before I get back to NES Works. I'm still quite behind, but I think I'll catch up soon enough. Outside of Chrontendo and the Works series, I don't think there are really any game historian shows quite like these (meaning covering even the most obscure games rather than big ones a la The Gaming Historian).

Parish releasing two age-restricted public releases in two weeks? He's playing chicken with the algorithm. :p
The sad truth is that they’ll still get more views than SG-1000 videos. Which is a shame because the videos for games on the other systems at the time are utterly fascinating to me.

Meanwhile, I'm rolling back to watch the new videos he added before I get back to NES Works. I'm still quite behind, but I think I'll catch up soon enough. Outside of Chrontendo and the Works series, I don't think there are really any game historian shows quite like these (meaning covering even the most obscure games rather than big ones a la The Gaming Historian).
You should check out The Atari Archive. It's a chronological look at the Atari VCS (the 2600). He's also going to do videos on the Mattel Intellivision and has covered the entirety of the RCA Studio II.

The sad truth is that they’ll still get more views than SG-1000 videos. Which is a shame because the videos for games on the other systems at the time are utterly fascinating to me.
Well the rest of this year will be just SG-1000 videos and patron requests (including one of mine). So Sega fans should be happy.

Segaiden episode 18: Zoom 909/Choplifter/Pitfall II

The Segaiden marathon begins with three SG-1000 versions of popular games from the early 1980s that show the player no mercy. Patrons have access to two additional Segaiden episodes that cover Doki Doki Penguin Land & Drol as well as Chack 'N Pop & Bank Panic.

Segaiden episode 19: Doki Doki Penguin Land & Drol

This week's public video is two video games about keeping children safe with Doki Doki Penguin Land which would see follow up games on other systems and Sega's conversation of Drol, a now obscure game from Broderbund. Patrons get two more Segaiden videos on Check N' Pop & Bank Panic and on Rock N' Bolt, Elevator Action, & Sokoban. After the Segaiden videos comes the Patron request videos.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Segaiden episode 20: Chack 'N Pop & Bank Panic

More Segaiden this week as Chack 'N Pop, a precursor to the Bubble Bobble series is looked at for the SG-1000. Also Bank Panic, a light gun type game that doesn't use a light gun. Patrons get a Segaiden episode featuring Rock 'N Bolt, Elevator Action, and Sokoban and an NES Works episode with three shooters (Legendary Wings, Xevious, Galaga)

Segaiden episode 21: Rock N' Bolt/Elevator Action/Sokoban

Another Segaiden video this week as Activision's Rock N' Bolt comes to the SG-1000 along with a version of Taito's Elevator Action done by Tose and yet another version of Sokoban. Patrons have access to an NES Works episode on a trio of shooters (Legendary Wings/Xevious/Galaga) and more Famicom 1985 with two Konami games (Antarctic Adventure and Yie Ar Kung Fu) and a Jaleco/Tose game that sucks (Ninja-kun).

NES Works Episode 86: Legendary Wings/Xevious/Galaga

This week's public video is NES Works Episode 86 on a trio of shooting games for NES: Capcom's Legendary Wings, and a Namco duo of classics Xevious and Galaga, both published by Bandai. Good stuff. Patrons get videos on Famicom 1985 lineup of Antarctic Adventure/Yie Ar Kung Fu/Ninja-kun and more Segaiden with Championship Lode Runner, H.E.R.O., and Champion Ice Hockey. Bright days for Segaiden ahead too.

Legendary Wings was freaking weird is all I remember of it as a kid. Eager to watch this one later.

NES Works Gaiden #30: Antarctic Adventure/Yie Ar Kung Fu/Ninja-kun

This week's public video is on a trio of 1985 Famicom games which consists of a duo of Konami games(Antarctic Adventure and Yie Ar Kung Fu) that only hint at the future juggernaut for Nintendo platforms (and much later, Sony platforms) and a Jaleco/TOSE arcade port that is unpleasant and throughly mediocre (Ninja-kun). Frontloaded video in terms of quality games. Patron videos are a pair of Segaiden videos on Championship Lode Runner/H.E.R.O./Champion Ice Hockey (a very champion episode) and on Hang On II and Bomb Jack (a duo of arcade ports). Master System coverage is nigh!

That shade on Ninja-Kun. Damn.

Antarctic Adventure looks so close to being a modern auto-runner too, it was surprising to learn that it's actually a racing game

Segaiden episode 22: Championship Lode Runner/H.E.R.O./Champion Ice Hockey

This week's public video is a Segaiden episode with Championship Lode Runner, which is essentially kaizo Lode Runner and the SG-1000 version looks more like the original Apple II version. A port of Activision's H.E.R.O. for the SG-1000 (originally was on the Atari 2600) and perhaps the best sports game on the SG-1000, Champion Ice Hockey are also featured. Patrons get a Segaiden video on Hang On II and Bomb Jack for the SG-1000 as well as another Segaiden episode featuring Hang On and Teddy Boy Blues for the Mark III (Master System).

Segaiden Episode 23: Hang On II & Bomb Jack

This week's public episode wraps up the SG-1000 for 1985 with Hang On II, which we now know was released in December 1985, two months after the Mark III launch, and Bomb Jack, which was an arcade port. Patrons get access to a Segaiden episode on the Mark III and its first two games: Hang On and Teddy Boy Blues, and a NES Works Gaiden episode that continues Famicom 1985 coverage with Chack 'N Pop (we now know the SG-1000 version launched the same month as the Famicom version), Dig Dug, and Flappy.

I saw that he expects to have his first SEGAIDEN book and NES WORKS Vol III next year. Combine that with his Limited Run works, and he's getting quite a library!

Segaiden Episode 24: Mark III/Hang On/Teddy Boy Blues

And we start a new year with a new Sega console, the Mark III or the Master System with this week's public video. October 1985 was the Japanese launch with this backwards compatible console and the first two games were Hang On and Teddy Boy Blues. Patrons get access to a NES Works Gaiden episode on Famicom 1985 games Chack 'N Pop, Dig Dug and Flappy, and a Segaiden episode on 1986 SG-1000 games C-So!, The Castle, and Gulkave.

Yesssss. Definitely interested in Master System coverage because my cousins had one and only a couple games for it. But it was always fascinating to play their games when visiting them because they had stuff I didn’t have on NES aside from Shinobi (thanks Tengen!)

NES Works Gaiden #31: Chack 'N Pop/Dig Dug/Flappy

On this week's public video, Famicom 1985 continues with three somewhat familiar games on Video Works. Chack 'N Pop, the proto Bubble Bobble already seen on Segaiden; Dig Dug, the Namco classic already seen for the Atari 7800; Flappy, a Sokoban like game seen many years ago in its Game Boy incarnation. Patrons get two Segaiden videos on the tail end of the SG-1000 with C-So, The Castle and Gulkave in one, and Ninja Princess, Super Tank and Champion Kendo with the other. Getting very close to wrapping up SG-1000 completely.

Segaiden Episode 25: C-So/The Castle/Gulkave

The SG-1000 coverage is winding down with the 4th to last video on it. This week's public video is on 1986 SG-1000 games C-So, The Castle (a very ambitious game that required a cartridge rather than a card) and Gulkave (one of the Shitennou of that system and a good game by Compile). Patrons get more Segaiden with an episode on Ninja Princess, Super Tank and Champion Kendo and the penultimate SG-1000 episode on a Graphics Tablet accessory, Wonder Boy and Champion Billiards.

Segaiden Episode 26: Ninja Princess/Super Tank/Champion Kendo.

The 3rd to last SG-1000 episode is this week's public video as more 1986 offerings are released. Ninja Princess which would receive a better known spin-off on the Master System known as The Ninja, Super Tank a throwback to Borderline, and Champion Kendo, yet another mediocre sports game. Patrons get the penultimate episode on the SG-1000 with a graphical tablet, Wonder Boy and Champion Billiards and a new NES Works episode with Hudson's NES debut with Adventure Island and Milon's Secret Castle. Jeremy uses the Game Genie to get through those.

Does anyone know what resource Parish uses for the most accurate NES/Famicom release date information?

I know he's talked about the issue of inaccurate date floating out there, so I'm wondering if there's an accurate list/website he refers to.

I saw that he expects to have his first SEGAIDEN book and NES WORKS Vol III next year. Combine that with his Limited Run works, and he's getting quite a library!

NES Works Volume III: 1987 will be a massive book. Over 400 pages.

Does anyone know what resource Parish uses for the most accurate NES/Famicom release date information?

I know he's talked about the issue of inaccurate date floating out there, so I'm wondering if there's an accurate list/website he refers to.

He uses Nintendo's information as well as old magazines to help narrow down dates. Famicom dates tend to be exact while NES dates tend to just be the month the game was released. I don't know if Jeremy uses it but Famicom World has a pretty good release date list https://famicomworld.com/game-list/?order=release

Segaiden Episode 27: Graphics Tablet/Wonder Boy/Champion Billiards

A trilogy of Wonder Boy/Adventure Island episodes begins with today's public video, the penultimate episode on the SG-1000 with a graphic tablet that works on the console, Wonder Boy, an ambitious arcade port hampered by the hardware, and Champion Billiards, a secret port of Lunar Pool by Compile. Patrons get an NES Works episode on Adventure Island and Milon's Secret Castle, as well as a patron request episode of NES Works Gaiden on Adventure Island IV, the final officially licensed Famicom game with that game moving the Adventure Island series into the exploratory action genre that Wonder Boys games had already gone into.

NES Works Episode 87: Hudson's Adventure Island & Milon's Secret Castle

Hudson debuts on the NES with this week's public video. September 1988 saw Hudson's Adventure Island, a reskin of Wonder Boy that stays pretty faithful to the arcade game and Milon's Secret Castle, an attempt at an exploratory action game that doesn't really reward backtracking. Patrons get a NES Works Gaiden episode on Adventure Island IV by Patron Request and a Segaiden episode on the last two SG-1000 games: The Black Onyx and Loretta no Shouzou Sherlock Holmes. More Game Boy 1990 episodes coming soon!

NES Works Gaiden: Adventure Island IV

This week's public video was a patron request and neatly wraps a trilogy of videos on Wonder Boy and Adventure Island. This was the last officially licensed Famicom game. Patrons get videos on the last two SG-1000 games, The Black Onyx and Loretta no Shouzou Sherlock Holmes and a 40 minute wrapup on the system itself.

Back
Top Bottom