• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Jeremy Parish's Video Works series |ST|

These are the games left for NES Works 1988:

November 1988:
SMB/Duck Hunt 2pack
Super Team Games (NES Works episode 98)

December 1988:
Bionic Commando (NES Works episode 100)
Blades of Steel (NES Works episode 98)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES Works episode 103)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (NES Works episode 101)
Othello (NES Works episode 104)
Paperboy (NES Works episode 99)
Platoon (NES Works episode 102)
Rampage (NES Works episode 101)
Robo Warrior (NES Works episode 104)
Skate or Die (NES Works episode 99)
Xenophobe (NES Works episode 102)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES Works episode 105)

It is a little strange that we got the sequel or follow-up to Bomberman (Robo Warrior) before we got Bomberman (which will be covered early in NES Works 1989) (EDIT: Jeremy covers Bomberman in Episode 104. There is enough ambiguity to say it could have been December 1988)

Last edited:
November 1988:
SMB/Duck Hunt 2pack
Huh. Was that a non-pack-in release? Because I know I received an Action Set with SMB/DH + a Zapper for my birthday in September which would've had to been in '88 at the latest since I remember SMB2 ads starting soon after in our area plus the NP subscription.

NES Works Episode 96: Dr. Chaos and Superman

This week's public video gives us two ambitious failures for the NES. Pony Canyon's Dr. Chaos which tried to do what Konami did with Goonies II but winds up being obtuse and not that good. Kemco's Superman is pure kusoge, but they really did try and failed miserably. Patrons got a pair of NES Works videos, one on Anticipation and Cobra Command, the other on Blades of Steel and Super Team Games. Soon, Patrons will also begin to get patron-exclusive (for a year) videos on the Super Cassette Vision and its games.

Threadmark 41 - NES Works 97: Cobra Command and Anticipation
Threadmark 42 - NES Works 98: Blades of Steel and Super Team Games
Threadmark 43 - NES Works 99: Skate or Die and Paperboy
Threadmark 44 - NES Works 100: Bionic Commando
Threadmark 45 - NES Works 101: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom & Rampage
Threadmark 46 - NES Works Gaiden 43: Pooyan, City Connection, and Hyper Sports
Threadmark 47 - NES Works Gaiden 44: Route 16 Turbo and Challenger
Threadmark 48 - NES Works Gaiden 45: Kinnikuman, Sky Destroyer and Ninja Jajamaru-kun
Threadmark 49 - NES Works Gaiden 46: Mach Rider, Onyanko Town and Pac-Land
Threadmark 50 - NES Works Gaiden 47: Pachicom, Burgertime and Ikki
Threadmark 51 - NES Works Gaiden 48: Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
Threadmark 52 - NES Works 102: Platoon and Xenophobe
Threadmark 53 - NES Works 103: Castlevania II Simon's Quest
Threadmark 54 - NES Works Gaiden 49: Lunar Ball and Karateka
Threadmark 55 - NES Works Gaiden 50: Star Luster and Spelunker
Threadmark 56 - NES Works 104: Bomberman, Othello and RoboWarrior
Threadmark 57 - NES Works 105: Zelda II
Threadmark 58 - NES Works Gaiden 51: Volguard II, Macross and Galg
Threadmark 59 - NES Works Gaiden 52: Doughboy, 1942, and Bokosuka Wars
Threadmark 60 - NES Works Gaiden 53: Obake no QTarou/Binary Land/Bomberman
Threadmark 61 - NES Works Gaiden 54: Thexder and Exed Exes
Threadmark 62 - NES Works Gaiden 55: Lot Lot and Penguin-kun Wars
Threadmark 63 - Segaiden 30: Master System, Snail Maze, Hang On/Safari Hunt
Threadmark 64 - Segaiden 31: Fantasy Zone and Ghost House
Threadmark 65 - Segaiden 32: Choplifter, My Hero and Teddy Boy
Threadmark 66 - Segaiden 33: Fighting F-16 Falcon, TransBot and World Grand Prix
Threadmark 67 - Segaiden 34: Action Fighter and Black Belt
Threadmark 68 - Segaiden 35: Great Ice Hockey and Astro Warrior

Last edited:
The Statue of Liberty having a cute chibi look and that one annoying music later in the game is what I remember about that Superman game.

NES Works episode 97: Cobra Command and Anticipation

This week's public video gives us two more NES games from November 1988. Data East's Cobra Command which could have had the amazingly bad title of "Stiffen Wolf" and the Rare developed, Nintendo published Anticipation which combined Trivial Pursuit and Pictionary. Patrons got videos on more NES games, one episode on the sports titles Blades of Steel and Super Team Games and the other on Paperboy and Skate or Die.

NES Works Episode 98: Blades of Steel and Super Team Games

It's Sports Week for this week's public video that has Konami's Blades of Steel, the best ice hockey game for NES and one of the best sports games for NES. And also Super Team Games, a Power Pad game (Family Trainer by Bandai in Japan). Power Pad games were like sweaters from Grandma as Jeremy basically says. Patrons get more NES Works videos, one on Skate or Die and Paperboy, two games that have more commonality than you'd think and for the 100th episode of NES Works: Capcom's Bionic Commando, one of the all time great NES games.

It's Sports Week for this week's public video that has Konami's Blades of Steel, the best ice hockey game for NES and one of the best sports games for NES. And also Super Team Games, a Power Pad game (Family Trainer by Bandai in Japan). Power Pad games were like sweaters from Grandma as Jeremy basically says.
My family had Super Team Games and of the 4 Power Pad games we owned it was probably the best one until Short Order / Eggsplode came along. That said, I don't think we ever really played it straight and figured out various hacks/cheats. Like sitting down on the back row and just rapidly tapping your feet on the top row or sliding them around for the crab walk. Ultimately, the game basically boils down to "what if Track & Field but you use your feet to hit the buttons" like Jeremy's thesis states, but as kids we really didn't care. It certainly helped that it was one of the rare simulataneous 2P head-to-head games we owned, and my sister and I had a healthy rivalry around this game for a good while.

NES Works Episode 99: Skate or Die and Paperboy

This week's public video features troubled youth in the form of Konami's port of EA's Skate or Die, a game that I remember liking, and Mindscape debuts on NES Works with Tengen's Paperboy, an arcade port that was also a very successful NES game. I think I rented Paperboy once. Patrons get more NES Works videos, the 100th NES Works episode focused on Bionic Commando, and a video focused on arcade ports Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Rampage.

NES Works Episode 100: Bionic Commando

This week's public video is a milestone, it's the 100th NES Works episode and it's about Capcom's Bionic Commando, a great NES game. 10/10, would watch again. Patrons get a NES Works episode on two arcade ports: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Rampage. Patrons also see that Famicom 1985 continues with the three games that followed Super Mario Brothers: Pooyan, City Connection and Hyper Sports, which are all good games.

NES Works Episode 101: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom & Rampage

This week's public video gives us two more arcade ports, neither on the level of Bionic Commando but then few things would be. Mindscape and Tengen give us Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom which to it's credit has replay value and does its job as an arcade port. It is a flawed game but still respectable. Data East gives us a port of Midway's Rampage and well, it's not as good as the Master System or the Lynx version. It's still good mindless fun though. Patrons get a pair of NES Works Gaiden videos, one on post-SMB games that were Pooyan, City Connection and Hyper Sports and the other on October 1985 games Route 16 Turbo and Challenger, both respectable games.

NES Works Gaiden 43: Pooyan, City Connection and Hyper Sports

Famicom 1985 reaches the post-SMB games in this week's public video. Hudson and Konami's Pooyan is a good arcade port, the original game being created by someone who'd later make some great Capcom games. Jaleco's City Connection is good enough for the name of the company that handles Jaleco's legacy content these days. Konami's Hyper Sports is the other half of Track & Field and is essentially half of a game. Patrons get more Famicom retrospectives, one on Route 16 Turbo and Challenger, the other on Kinnikuman, Sky Destroyer and Ninja Jajamaru-kun.

NES Works Gaiden 44: Route 16 Turbo and Challenger

This week's public video on Famicom 1985 gives us the first somewhat promising Sunsoft game, Route 16 Turbo, which is a good maze chase game. We also see a glimpse of Famicom's future with Challenger, a frustrating action adventure game from Hudson, that would be a influence on the Legend of Zelda. Challenger is not that playable by today's standards but it's good to see Famicom inch away from arcade like games. Patrons get more Famicom 1985 stuff like an episode on Kinnikuman, Sky Destroyer and Ninja Jajamaru-kun and a separate episode on Mach Rider, Onyanko Town, and Pac-Land.

NES Works Gaiden 45: Kinnikuman, Sky Destroyer and Ninja Jajamaru-kun

This begins the deluge of mediocre anime games on Famicom with this week's public video. Bandai makes their Famicom debut with Kinnikuman, a mediocre wrestling game based on the anime and manga that sold enough to get a Japan-only sequel game, Taito publishes Sky Destroyer, which has a Japanese pilot taking out American planes in WW2, and Jaleco has Ninja Jajamaru-kun, which would start a franchise of its own (Strictly Limited Games is handling the Western physical release of the Jajamaru-kun collection which is Famicom-heavy). Patrons get more Famicom 1985 with an episode on Mach Rider, Onyanko Town and Pac-Land and another episode on the rather underwhelming bunch that is Pachicom, Burgertime, and Ikki.

NES Works Gaiden 46: Mach Rider, Onyanko Town and Pac-Land

This week's public video gives us Nintendo's Mach Rider, a good but not exceptional racer game with a female protagonist, Pony Canyon's Onyanko Town brought to us by Micronics which plays well (it's Heiankyo Alien with cats) but has really bad music, and Namco's Pac-Land which needed a better control scheme. The next two videos that Patrons see early are both Famicom 1985 videos with opposite levels of quality with the uninspiring trio of Pachicom, Burgertime, and Ikki for one, and the historically important and good game Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken on the other.

Also this week, the Patreon exclusive video until 2024, NES Works Epoch episode 1 on Epoch Cassette Vision games Kikori no Yosaku and Baseball premiered.

For those interested, the SNES Works Vol. 1 and Virtual Boy Works books are back in stock at LRG under their new imprint:

There's also a re-issue of GameSpite's (Parish's old online-zine) Playstation Retrospective going up for sale in October:

NES Works Gaiden 47: Pachicom, Burgertime and Ikki

This week's public video gives us two bad games and a middling one. Toshiba EMI and developer Bear's (aka Shouei System) both debut for Famicom with the absolutely garbo Pachicom, Namco published a port of Data East's Burgertime which we've already seen on NES Works, and Tose and Sunsoft give us Ikki, a bad game that sold more than a million copies but we wouldn't have gotten the Sunsoft greats if Ikki sold terribly probably. Patrons get an episode on the good and historically important game Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken and a NES Works episode on Sunsoft's underwhelming duo of Platoon and Xenophobe. It's also a horrible night to have a curse.

Huh. Was that a non-pack-in release? Because I know I received an Action Set with SMB/DH + a Zapper for my birthday in September which would've had to been in '88 at the latest since I remember SMB2 ads starting soon after in our area plus the NP subscription.
Jeremy says he won't be covering that because it was a pack-in only. So you were right.

Last edited:
Kusoge season is upon us 😭

Neat, I honestly wasn't sure because I had never heard of the dual-release (or tri-release when they added World Class Track Meet) pack-ins getting standalone releases even in passing.

I edited since I goofed on the exact phrase. I like Simon's Quest, James Rolfe does too (even if it is not as good as 1 or 3). Symphony of the Night would do better in what Simon's Quest tried to do.

I edited since I goofed on the exact phrase. I like Simon's Quest, James Rolfe does too (even if it is not as good as 1 or 3). Symphony of the Night would do better in what Simon's Quest tried to do.
Yea, I like it too. I just didn’t want to quote the whole block because it certainly sounds like we’re hitting that point with the library where the flood of low quality titles starts.

NES Works Gaiden 48: Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken

In this week's public video, Jeremy shows us Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken, one of the most influential Japanese games ever, and Yuji Horii's first Famicom game. This Enix published game (developed by Chunsoft) was their second on Famicom, and would be the first of many detective games to be on the Famicom. Portopia would be such an important game to the history of RPGs, point and click games, and visual novels. Horii would go on to make another massively influential game in 1986 (but that's a story that will be told in NES Works 1989). Patrons get two videos on NES games, the first on Sunsoft's pair of underwhelming action games Platoon and Xenophobe, and the second on Konami's Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, an ambitious but flawed game that showed us that NES sequels were going to be weird.

NES Works Episode 102: Platoon and Xenophobe

This week's public video gives us two disappointing video games published by Sunsoft and both of them ports of games by other companies. Platoon is a bizarre choice for a NES game and is a port of a Data East computer game. Xenophobe is a downgrade from Midway's arcade game and is much better on the Lynx. Patrons get a NES Works video on Castlevania II: Simon's Quest which I love but it definitely has things that make it hard for some to play, and also patrons get a NES Works Gaiden episode on Lunar Ball and Karateka, two games that have already been covered twice by the Video Works series.

NES Works episode 103: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

This week's public video is on the black sheep of the NES Castlevania games, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, which would presage the direction the Castlevania games would take on Playstation and Game Boy Advance. It's an obtuse game for newcomers and was the game that started off the AVGN series. Both Jeremy and myself both love the game though. Patrons get two NES Works Gaiden videos, one on Lunar Ball and Karateka, the other on Star Luster and Spelunker.

Tomorrow is the launch of the book NES Works 1987 and thus, a Gintendo stream tomorrow.

I recently discovered his video about Final Fantasy 7. There is some very interesting information about both the game and Nintendo around the start of the N64.

NES Works Gaiden 49: Lunar Ball and Karateka

This week's public video includes two games that got covered twice already on Videos Works: Compile and Pony Canyon's Lunar Ball which most of us know better as Lunar Pool for NES. We also saw it for SG-1000 as Champion Billiards. Soft Pro makes their Famicom debut with a port of Broderbund's computer game Karateka which we've seen the Atari 7800 version and the Game Boy version already (by different developers). Jeremy adds some background about Broderbund on Japanese PCs and the state of Famicom around the time. Patrons get a NES Works Gaiden episode on two other Western influenced games: Namco's Star Luster and Irem's Spelunker and a NES Works episode on Bomberman, Othello and RoboWarrior. There was also episode 2 of the Cassette Vision patron exclusive series. This one on Galaxian (a take or unauthorized port of Moon Cresta believe it or not) and Big Sports 12.

This week's public video is on the black sheep of the NES Castlevania games, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, which would presage the direction the Castlevania games would take on Playstation and Game Boy Advance. It's an obtuse game for newcomers and was the game that started off the AVGN series. Both Jeremy and myself both love the game though. Patrons get two NES Works Gaiden videos, one on Lunar Ball and Karateka, the other on Star Luster and Spelunker.

Tomorrow is the launch of the book NES Works 1987 and thus, a Gintendo stream tomorrow.

Just got around to watching this. That was interesting, I love soaking up anything about Castlevania

NES Works Gaiden 50: Star Luster and Spelunker

This week's public video shows two more western influenced games. Namco's Star Luster is a very good Star Raiders clone and Irem's Spelunker is a good computer port but I kinda loathe the game. They're both good games. Patrons get the last two episodes of NES Works 1988 with an episode on Bomberman, Othello and RoboWarrior and an episode on the GOAT, Zelda II: the Adventure of Link. Look forward to Master System episodes and when NES Works 1989 happens in late 2023, look forward to Star Soldier.

NES Works episode 104: Bomberman, Othello, and RoboWarrior.

This week's public video presents two games that could have been December 1988 or January 1989, Hudson's Bomberman and HAL's Othello. Also Jaleco's RoboWarrior which was essentially a Bomberman spinoff. Patrons finish up NES Works 1988 with Zelda II and they also get a Famicom 1985 episode with three mediocre shooters (Volguard II, Macross, and Galg).

NES Works episode 105: Zelda II The Adventure of Link

This week's public video brings NES Works 1988 to an end with Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. This is still one of my favorite Zelda games, but Zelda franchise fans often put it near the bottom when they rank Zelda games. Jeremy discusses the chip shortage that delayed the game and the uncertainty of when it got released in the US. Computer Entertainer says October but I have a screenshot of a FAO Schwarz ad in mid-December 1988 that said "coming soon" for this game and December 1988 is the universally accepted date. When NES Works 1989 begins in late 2023, we'll look forward to Star Soldier. Patrons get two Famicom 1985 episodes and it's a rough patch with Volguard II, Macross and Galg on one and a trio of war-themed games with Dough Boy, 1942 and Bokosuka Wars on the other. At least we're almost done with the Famicom in 1985. Master System is coming again real soon.

NES Works Gaiden 51: Volguard II, Macross and Galg

This week's public video gives us three shooting games, all very mediocre. dbsoft published two of them (Volguard II and Galg) and one is a Bandai/Namco joint years before they merged (Macross). Volguard II and Macross both have transforming mecha. Patrons get two more Famicom 1985 videos, one on a trio of war themed games (Dough Boy, 1942 and Bokosuka Wars) and the other is more Bandai shovelware(which we've already seen on NES Works as Chubby Cherub) and a pair of Hudson games (Binary Land and Bomberman), both of which are good, a refreshing thing.

NES Works Gaiden 52: Doughboy, 1942, and Bokosuka Wars

War, uh, what is it good for? The three games on this week's public video don't help answer that question at all. Kemco and Capcom make their Famicom debuts with Doughboy and 1942 here. Doughboy is probably the worst of the three, 1942 is a not-great port of the arcade game courtesy of Micronics with its soundtrack being mildly annoying. Bokosuka Wars by ASCII might be the best game this episode but it's not very player friendly. Patrons get more Famicom videos with one on Bandai shovelware and a pair of good Hudson games and the other on two games that suck (Thexder and Exed Exes). Episode 3 of NES Works Epoch dropped too. Features Epoch's 1982 lineup of Battle Vader, New Baseball, and Pak Pak Monster.

Last edited:
NES Works Gaiden 53: Obake no QTarou/Binary Land/Bomberman

This week's public video gives us Bandai's Obake no QTarou, a shovelware anime game that we got on NES sans anime license as Chubby Cherub. It sucks but Hudson's twin offerings in Binary Land and Bomberman decidedly don't suck. Patrons got the last two episodes of Famicom 1985 with Thexder and Exed Exes on one (both of those games suck), and Lot Lot and Penguin-kun Wars on the other (okay games that got developed by HAL Labs and PX Softnica respectively). Episode 4 of NES Works Gaiden Epoch dropped with two games, Monster Mansion, a Donkey Kong inspired game and Astro Command, a Scramble inspired game that you could see as a proto-Gradius too. Segaiden episodes are imminent.

NES Works Gaiden 54: Thexder and Exed Exes

This week's public video gives us two bad games by two first-time Famicom publishers. Squaresoft did not make the best first impression with their port of Thexder, which is marginally better than the crappy robot shooters of a few weeks ago. Tokuma Soft similarly did not impress with Exed Exes, a Micronics developed port of a Capcom arcade game. Jeremy also gets to include a brief tangent about Nausicaa. Patrons get the last Famicom 1985 video on Lot Lot and Penguin-kun Wars and a Segaiden video on The Master System, its secret game included in the console, Snail Maze, and the pack-in cart of Hang On & Safari Hunt.

Thexder will never cease being a personal source of amusement when discussing Sierra games and discovering people who have no idea it originated in Japan and wasn't an in-house title :D

NES Works Gaiden 55: Lot Lot and Penguin-kun Wars

In the last public video of 2022, we close out 1985 on the Famicom finally with two games. Tokuma Soft's Lot Lot Lot developed by HAL Labs which...exists. ASCII's Penguin-kun Wars is a decent little game, and marks the debut on Famicom for developer Pax Softnica, who'd later do second party releases for Nintendo. Patrons get two videos on the Master System, one talking about the system itself and the hidden game in it, and the pack-in Hang-On and Safari Hunt, the other talking about Fantasy Zone (a very good game) and Ghost House (kinda a Euro-style platformer).

He gives a shout out to the Switch version of Penguin Wars, and I'll echo that it's a fun, modern take on the game.

It includes a fun multiplayer mode with a lot of options and a pretty challenging story mode.

Segaiden #30: The Master System, Snail Maze, Hang On/Safari Hunt

And we begin 2023, which will be a Sega year, with a public video on the Master System, its hidden game Snail Maze and the pack-in game of Hang On/Safari Hunt. Patrons get two Segaiden episodes, one on Fantasy Zone and Ghost House, the other on Choplifter, My Hero, and Teddy Boy.

Segaiden #31: Fantasy Zone and Ghost House

This week's public video has one of Sega's best shmups, Fantasy Zone, and a proto-Eurostyle platformer in Ghost House. Two solid Master System games. Patrons get two more Segaiden videos, one on Choplifter, My Hero and Teddy Boy (three difficult games) and the other on Fighting F-16 Falcon, TransBot and World Grand Prix (3 games that throw back to SG-1000 in various degrees. Also the video has a thoughtful endcard).

Segaiden #32: Choplifter, My Hero and Teddy Boy

This week's public video gives us Choplifter, which is a familiar name but this is an arcade port not a computer port. My Hero is a very downgraded arcade port that is punishingly difficult and Teddy Boy is the localized version of Teddy Boy Blues already seen. Patrons get two more Segaiden episodes, one on Fighting F-16 Falcon, TransBot and World Grand Prix and the other on the good pair of games that is Action Fighter and Black Belt.

Segaiden #33: Fighting F-16 Falcon, TransBot and World Grand Prix

This week's public video gives us three games that all somehow tie back into the SG-1000. First, we have flight simulator Fighting F-16 Falcon which would be best played with a keyboard, one that came with the SG-1000. The game also looks like an SG-1000 game. Next, TransBot or Astro Flash was a spiritual successor to Orguss, an SG-1000 game. Finally World Grand Prix is essentially a souped-up GP World, which was a SG-1000 game. Whew. Patrons get two more Segaiden videos, one on the good pair of games that is Action Fighter and Black Belt and the other on two games that are well suited for the Sega Sports Pad peripheral, Great Ice Hockey and Astro Warrior.

Segaiden #34: Action Fighter and Black Belt

This week's public video brings two good Master System games, Action Fighter which is a fun take on Spy Hunter and Black Belt which was known as Hokuto no Ken in Japan and which gives us an amusing image of Kenshiro during his Ryu phase. Probably the best retro Fist of the North Star game. Patrons get two more Segaiden episodes, one on Great Ice Hockey and Astro Warrior and the other on two middling Master System games Marksman Shooting/Trap Shooting and Rambo. The last video on the Epoch Cassette Vision was also released to Patrons of that tier this week with the games Monster Block and Elevator Panic.

Segaiden #35: Great Ice Hockey and Astro Warrior

This week's public video comes to us on a fine day for a Nintendo Direct. Anyway, it features the Sega Sports Pad and two games that play with it, Great Ice Hockey where it's required and Astro Warrior where it's optional but very helpful. Neither are great games but they're good enough. Patrons get two more Segaiden videos, one on middling games Marksman Shooting/Trap Shooting and Rambo, the other on two games with male protagonists based on two games that had a female protagonist, The Ninja and Pro Wrestling.

Back
Top Bottom