• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Jeremy Parish's Video Works series |ST|

Definitely interested in the AI 4 video. I have fondish memories of the second game as a regular rental. First game can DIAF though.

Edit: Hey bonus Iria : Zeiram the Animation sighting! šŸ˜

Last edited:
Segaiden #28: Loretta no Shouzou Sherlock Holmes/The Black Onyx

And the first public video on page 2 of this thread (threadmark #18) is the last two SG-1000 games, Loretta no Shouzou Sherlock Holmes, a point and click adventure game, and The Black Onyx, an important Wizardry clone that was one of the first commercially successful JRPGs. Patrons get the SG-1000 wrapup and a new Game Boy Works episode on Godzilla and Nekojara Monogatari. More Game Boy on the way too.

Threadmark 19- Segaiden #29: SG-1000 in
Threadmark 20- Game Boy Works 126: Godzilla & Nekojara Monogatari
Threadmark 21- Game Boy Works 127: Gremlins 2 & Pocket Stadium
Threadmark 22- NES Works Gaiden 33: Wrecking Crew/Hyper Olympic/Spartan-X
Threadmark 23-NES Works Gaiden 34: Star Force/Elevator Action/Field Combat
Threadmark 24- NES Works Gaiden 35: Road Fighter/Warpman/Door Door
Threadmark 25- NES Works Gaiden 36: Robot Block/Geimos/10 Yard Fight
Threadmark 26- NES Works Gaiden 37: Zippy Race/Super Arabian/Front Line
Threadmark 27- NES Works Gaiden 38: The Tower of Druaga
Threadmark 28- NES Works Gaiden 39: Astro Robo Sasa/Honshogi/Robot Gyro
Threadmark 29 - NES Works 88: Jackal/Jeopardy/Wheel of Fortune
Threadmark 30- NES Works 89: Bubble Bobble and Racket Attack
Threadmark 31- NES Works 90: Magmax/Seicross/Spy vs Spy
Threadmark 32- NES Works 91: Ghostbusters
Threadmark 33- NES Works 92,:Mickey Mousecapade/Joust/Millipede/Donkey Kong Classics
Threadmark 34- NES Works Gaiden 40: Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr/Mario Brothers/Centipede
Threadmark 35- NES Works Gaiden 41:Battle City and Super Mario Brothers
Threadmark 36- NES Works Gaiden 42: Super Mario Brothers 2 The Lost Levels
Threadmark 37- NES Works 93: Super Mario Brothers 2 and Nintendo Power
Threadmark 38- NES Works 94: Blaster Master
Threadmark 39- NES Works 95: 1943 & Bump 'N Jump

Last edited:
Segaiden episode 29: SG-1000 in Review

This week's public video is a 40 minute recap/retrospective on the past year's look at the SG-1000. There's now definitely better information about it now than when Jeremy had started. This is the second console library he's completed. Patrons get a pair of Game Boy Works episodes: one with Godzilla and Nekojara Monogatari, and the other with Gremlins 2 and Pocket Stadium (which shouldn't be confused with Pocket Monster Stadium).

Game Boy Works 126: Godzilla & Nekojara Monogatari

This week's public video takes us back to December 1990 and Game Boy for two good games, Godzilla, a puzzle platformer made by Compile and Nekojara Monogatari, a Kemco RPG using a engine they developed for a previous game. Patrons get a Game Boy Works video on Gremlins 2 and Pocket Stadium and a NES Works Gaiden episode on a trio of familiar games for Famicom: Wrecking Crew, Hyper Olympics, and Spartan-X

This week's public video takes us back to December 1990 and Game Boy for two good games, Godzilla, a puzzle platformer made by Compile and Nekojara Monogatari, a Kemco RPG using a engine they developed for a previous game. Patrons get a Game Boy Works video on Gremlins 2 and Pocket Stadium and a NES Works Gaiden episode on a trio of familiar games for Famicom: Wrecking Crew, Hyper Olympics, and Spartan-X

I love what Jeremy did with the Super Game Boy borders during his intro (colors of Ukraine flag)

Game Boy Works 127: Gremlins 2 & Pocket Stadium

This week's public video has a Sunsoft licensed game for Gremlins 2 and an Atlus baseball game that is quirky. Patrons get a pair of NES Gaiden videos: one on Wrecking Crew, Hyper Olympic, and Spartan-X and the other on Star Force, Elevator Action and Field Combat.

Half the fun of these videos to me (as someone who's first game system was the GBA) is to just see what pop culture of the 1980s was like. Never would've guessed that Grimlins 2 was like that.

Half the fun of these videos to me (as someone who's first game system was the GBA) is to just see what pop culture of the 1980s was like. Never would've guessed that Grimlins 2 was like that.
Gremlins 2 was released in 1990. It's definitely different from the first film. Loved that projector scene with Hulk Hogan as a kid, I have no idea how well the film holds up now.

Gremlins 2 was released in 1990. It's definitely different from the first film. Loved that projector scene with Hulk Hogan as a kid, I have no idea how well the film holds up now.
Rewatched it with a few friends a month or two back. It holds up as long as you go into expecting nothing at all like the first movie, and more of marketing vehicle for toys (as was the case with lot of media in that era).

I love these videos but when he started putting himself on screen Ive started watching way less. The original videos had such a clean presentation that I greatly preferred. Hes pretty awkward and the awful "VHS" filter really doesn't help either.

Still watch occasionally though. Love good retro reviewers that talk like adults and don't just make dick jokes all the time

I love these videos but when he started putting himself on screen Ive started watching way less. The original videos had such a clean presentation that I greatly preferred. Hes pretty awkward and the awful "VHS" filter really doesn't help either.
It's not a filter. Trust me, I already asked and got a nice explaining to šŸ˜‚

EDIT: I may have this backwards. It's now a filter but only because actual VHS recording -> PC -> YT was far more extreme when he first started with it

NES Works Gaiden #33: Wrecking Crew, Hyper Olympic, and Spartan-X

This week's public video is a 1985 trip through the Famicom with three games familiar to NES owners: Wrecking Crew, Hyper Olympic (half of Track & Field) and Spartan-X (known to us as Kung Fu). Patrons get more 1985 Famicom videos: one video on Star Force, Elevator Action and Field Combat, another video on the Japanese exclusive games Road Fighter, Warpman, and Door Door (Enix's debut on Famicom), all of those good games too.

Wow Wrecking Crew definitely makes a lot more sense in the context of the Japanese chronology. Had no idea it originally predates SMB.

NES Works Gaiden #34: Star Force/Elevator Action/Field Combat

This week's public video is another trio of Summer 1985 Famicom games with two games somewhat familiar to NES owners (Star Force and Elevator Action, the latter being a good Micronics port) and one Japanese exclusive, Field Combat, a sort of reverse Galaga. Two more Famicom videos for patrons, one on games the US didn't get (Road Fighter, Warpman and Door Door) and one in which Jeremy accidentally sequence broke (Robot Block, Geimos and 10 Yard Fight)

NES Works Gaiden #35: Road Fighter/Warpman/Door Door

This week's public video is a trio of Famicom games the US didn't get: Road Fighter (Europe did get it in 1992, was on famiclones), Warpman (Evercade got it though) and Door Door, which was Enix's debut on Famicom. Patrons get a pair of Famicom 1985 episodes, one on Robot Block, Geimos and 10 Yard Fight (which has Geimos and 10 Yard Fight too early) and the other on Zippy Race, Super Arabian, and Front Line.

NES Works Gaiden #36: Robot Block/Geimos/10 Yard Fight

This week's public video (which has a Dr. Slump related eyecatch) continues the Famicom 1985 journey with Robot Block, which was essentially a half finished tech demo, Geimos, an interesting shooter developed by Micronics (!) under an alias and 10 Yard Fight, a decent take on American football that would eventually be eclipsed by Tecmo Bowl. Last two games were accidentally put into Jeremy's production order too early. Patrons get NES Works Gaiden videos on a trio of underwhelming games (Zippy Race, Super Arabian, and Front Line) and a video on the difficult but seminal game The Tower of Druaga.

Thereā€™s going to be a competiton between Heyankio Alien, Xevious, and Tower of Druaga for the most number of references in an episode. Or at least until Dragon Quest arrives and blows all of them out the water šŸ˜‚

Thereā€™s going to be a competiton between Heyankio Alien, Xevious, and Tower of Druaga for the most number of references in an episode. Or at least until Dragon Quest arrives and blows all of them out the water šŸ˜‚
There might be Portopia references too since that was also a Yuji Horii game and it helped popularize adventure games in Japan which would eventually give us the visual novel, the Tokimeki Memorial (TokiMemo) series being an early example.

The Robot Block segment was highly informative. I don't think I've ever encountered any details on ROB outside the US so that was very interesting to hear about.

NES Works Gaiden #37: Zippy Race/Super Arabian/Front Line

This week's public video has 3 games that Japan had spared us of. Irem's Zippy Race looks better than the SG-1000 version but plays worse. Sunsoft's Super Arabian is a not-great Popeye clone and shows that Sunsoft had a lot to learn before they'd give us classics like Blaster Master. Taito's Front Line is an arcade port of the game that inspired Commando and Ikari Brothers and many others but the port is definitely not fun. Patrons get NES Works Gaiden videos on The Tower of Druaga, a game that will get referenced a lot, and another video on three games with robots (Astro Robo Sasa, Honshogi, and Robot Gyro/Gyromite)

Patrons get NES Works Gaiden videos on The Tower of Druaga, a game that will get referenced a lot
Maybe not since it sounds like from the Patreon update that the Famicom Works chronology is stopping once he's done with 1985...

NES Works Gaiden #38: The Tower of Druaga

This week's video is on a formative Famicom game from Namco: The Tower of Druaga. The arcade game was a social phenomenon in Japan and the Famicom port neatly shows a transition from arcade ports to longer more console focused action-adventure games like the Legend of Zelda, which was inspired by Druaga. Patrons get a Famicom 1985 video on a robotic trio of games (Astro Robo Sasa, Honshogi, and Robot Gyro) and a new NES Works episode on a trio of better with multiplayer games that close out September 1988 (Jackal, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!).

Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!
I expect a brutal takedown on that video. I played the hell out of those with my sister at my grandparents place, but they probably don't hold up at all, but are probably better than yet another GBW puzzle or shogi/mahjong game.

NES Works Gaiden #39: Astro Robo Sasa/Honshogi/Robot Gyro

This week's public video is on a trio of robot themed games. ASCII's Astro Robo Sasa which is somewhat interesting, Sega's Honshogi which plays well for for mid-80s shogi video game, and Robot Gyro which the West knows as Gyromite. Patrons get a pair of NES Works episodes, the first closes out September 1988 with Jackal and a pair of Rare-developed game show games: Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune, the second continues the multiplayer theme with Bubble Bobble, a beloved NES game and Racket Attack, a decent TOSE/Jaleco tennis game.

NES Works #88: Jackal/Jeopardy!/Wheel of Fortune

And this week's public video raps up September 1988 for NES with a pretty good cooperative shooter by Konami (Jackal) and a duo of Rare developed/GameTek published game show games (Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune). Patrons get a pair of NES Works videos: one on Bobble Bubble and Racket Attack, and the other on Magmax, Seicross and Spy vs Spy.

I had no idea Rare did the Jeopardy/WoF games! They actually fared better in this video than I expected them to, and boy was that a nostalgia trip to see them again.

Also, I guess Jeremy completely missed Renegade Ops during the PS3/360 era? That was the closest thing I think we've seen to a modern interpretation of Jackal.

NES Works #89: Bubble Bobble & Racket Attack

This week's public video has Taito's Bubble Bobble, a multiplayer classic for the NES and TOSE and Jaleco's Racket Attack, which was part of Jaleco's Moero sports series in Japan. It's the first NES tennis game since NES launch title Tennis. That Bubble Bobble earworm, oh yeah. Patrons have another NES Works episode that covers a pair of FCI games (Magmax and Seicross) and a Kemco port of Spy vs Spy. Patrons should also be getting another NES Works tomorrow too that includes Ghostbusters, which was a port of the David Crane designed Commodore 64 game (the NES port is bad, the SMS port is better).

NES Works #90: MagMax, Seicross and Spy vs Spy

This week's public video has two offerings from FCI (which was Pony Canyon's American branch) in the form of Nichibutsu arcade ports that debuted on Famicom in 1986: MagMax a bold fight against copyright as ersatz Gundam fights against bootleg King Ghidorah (as recounted by Jeremy Parish), and Seicross, an auto scrolling action racer. Kemco makes their NES debut with Spy vs Spy, a computer port (Kemco would later port a trilogy of Mackintosh adventure games to NES: Shadowgate, Deja Vu, The Uninvited). Patrons received NES Works videos on Ghostbusters, a bad port of a C64 game, and a video on Mickey Mousecapade (the first Capcom published Disney game for NES), Joust & Millipede (two HAL Labs takes on early 1980s arcade games), and Donkey Kong Classics (a cart with the first two Donkey Kong NES games).

I wanted the GBC port of spy vs spy for some reason. Watching this video I'm ok that I never got it.

NES Works 91: Ghostbusters

This week's public video is about one of the worst computer ports to NES and a game that would make a lot of people's bottom 20 of NES games: Ghostbusters. The original Commodore 64 game is good though. Patrons get a NES Works episode on Mickey Mousecapade, Joust, Millipede, and Donkey Kong Classics, and a NES Works Gaiden episode on the Atari 7800 covering their versions of Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and Mario Bros with a belated look at Centipede, a 7800 launch title.

NES Works 92: Mickey Mousecapade/Joust/Millipede/Donkey Kong Classics

This week's public video is the inauspicious start of Capcom's Disney games with Mickey Mousecapade which was a Hudson game in Japan. Capcom would do much better when 1989 came around. There's also the remaining two of HAL Labs conversations of early 1980s arcade classics (Joust and Millipede), Iwata already surpassed Joust with Balloon Fight for NES, and Millipede is a fun time on any platform. Donkey Kong Classics is a 2-in-1 cart of the first two Donkey Kong games for NES. Patrons get two NES Gaiden videos, one on the Atari 7800 and it's trio of Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Bros with belated look at 7800 launch title Centipede. The other video is a Famicom 1985 with Battle City, a decent arcade port, and Super Mario Brothers, a seminal Famicom game that popularized the platformer.

I think with the forthcoming SMB video weā€™re getting close to the Famicom Works side project winding down? I may be mistaken but I thought in one of the Patreon updates a while back he said once the Famicom coverage was caught up with NES Works (to put a lot of the early NES releases in better context) he was going to slow down a lot on Famicom or only use it for things of note going forward.

NES Works Gaiden 40: Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr/Mario Bros/Centipede

This week's public video takes us back on the Atari 7800 track with their Fall 1988 releases of three Nintendo games and these are based on the NES ports: Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and Mario Brothers. We also get a belated look at 7800 launch title Centipede, which is a really good arcade port. Patrons get two NES Works Gaiden episodes, both Mario related: one is Famicom 1985 which looks at Battle City and Super Mario Brothers, the other is a greatly timed patron request for Super Mario Brothers 2: The Lost Levels which looks at the 1986 FDS release of Super Mario Brothers 2. It looks like patrons get NES Works episode on Super Mario Brothers 2 next week.

NES Works Gaiden 41: Battle City & Super Mario Brothers

This week's public video shows what peak performance looked like before the FDS and mapper chips. It's Super Mario Brothers. And also a look at Battle City, an OK arcade port that is a staple of Famiclones everywhere. From this point, there would be the ascension of the platformer on Famicom. Patrons get a double dose of Mario with the Japanese Super Mario Brothers 2 in one episode and an NES Works episode on what North America and Europe got as Super Mario Brothers 2 with a look at Nintendo Power, another American cultural icon. NES Works is finishing 1988 strong, some very good games still to come to finish the year.

God Battle City brings back memories. I used to use the level creator to make primitive pixel art.
It's really most fun playing your own levels and with 2 players. I would always make tower defense type scenarios.

List of games left for NES Works 1988:

October 1988:
1943 (NES Works episode 95)

November 1988:
Anticipation (NES Works episode 97)
Blaster Master (NES Works episode 94)
Cobra Command (NES Works episode 97)
Dr. Chaos (NES Works episode 96)
SMB/Duck Hunt (2pack)
Super Team Games

December 1988
Bionic Commando
Blades of Steel
Bump 'N Jump (NES Works episode 95)
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Othello
Paperboy
Platoon
Rampage
Robo Warrior
Skate or Die
Superman (NES Works episode 96)
Xenophobe
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Last edited:
NES Works Gaiden Episode 42: Super Mario Brothers 2 The Lost Levels.

This week's public video is the second on a Mario themed trilogy. The 1986 FDS release of Super Mario Brothers 2 (which wasn't localized until the SNES as The Lost Levels for Super Mario All-Stars) built on the previous year's Super Mario Brothers. Japan would see the next Mario game Super Mario Brothers 3 in 1988. And what a game that was. Patrons get a pair of NES Works 1988 episodes. One on Super Mario Brothers 2 and the other on Blaster Master. Both got great coverage in Nintendo Power.

I wish Jeremy posted here, because he did an astounding job on the Lost Levels coverage and putting it into its proper context. Much respect to that and it really makes me want to give the game a 3rd or 4th try (and hopefully get past 1-2 before tapping out). That World 9 tileset is crazy.

This week's public video is the second on a Mario themed trilogy. The 1986 FDS release of Super Mario Brothers 2 (which wasn't localized until the SNES as The Lost Levels for Super Mario All-Stars) built on the previous year's Super Mario Brothers. Japan would see the next Mario game Super Mario Brothers 3 in 1988. And what a game that was. Patrons get a pair of NES Works 1988 episodes. One on Super Mario Brothers 2 and the other on Blaster Master. Both got great coverage in Nintendo Power.

Glad to see Jeremy give the superior SMB2 an excellent video. The game is possibly the most underrated entry in the entire series.

NES Works #93: Super Mario Brothers 2 & Nintendo Power.

This week's public video looks at two now iconic products of the NES: Super Mario Brothers 2 (Super Mario Brothers USA if you're nasty) and Nintendo Power. Both will have a lasting impact beyond 1988. I still love the cover of that first Nintendo Power. Patrons get a pair of NES Works videos: one on Blaster Master, Sunsoft's first really good game, and another on 1943, a great Capcom shooter, and Bump 'N Jump, an archaic arcade port of a Data East game published by Vic Tokai. Dr. Chaos also looms on the horizon.

I know it's a propaganda rag but NP was my childhood and they really did steer me towards a lot of solid games and was instrumental in shaping a lot of my tastes in gaming. So I'm very keen to see Parish's thoughts on it.

Also, following up on the SMB2/Lost Levels coverage, I was trawling through Spriter's Resource last week and found they have level maps from that game like 9-1:

So I checked what they looked like in All-Stars on a different site and look at how they just butchered the intended effect:

Just more fuel for why All-Stars is a bit of a let down as a package

PSA: You can now get Tower of Druaga to go with Xevious on all modern systems. Not sure when we'll see Heiyankyo Alien on anything modern.

It has been 0 days since Tower of Druaga, Xevious, or Hieyankyo Alien has been referenced in this thread
I'd always recommend anyone to try Tower of Druaga or Xevious. Both are very important games from Namco.

Battle City, a staple of the famicom multicarts you see alot.
So I've heard. Never played it myself.

I wish Jeremy posted here, because he did an astounding job on the Lost Levels coverage and putting it into its proper context. Much respect to that and it really makes me want to give the game a 3rd or 4th try (and hopefully get past 1-2 before tapping out). That World 9 tileset is crazy.

I guess I should mention the next time I reply to one of his videos on Patreon that we have this thread here on Famiboards. And yes, his videos are often great.

NES Works #94: Blaster Master

This week's public video shows us the ascendance of Sunsoft as one of the great NES publishers with Blaster Master, a very good game that had a great remake that improved on the original. I liked Blaster Master back in the day but Blaster Master Zero is the one I'd replay. Patrons get a pair of NES Works videos, one on 1943 and Bump 'N Jump, and the other on Dr. Chaos and Superman, two ambitious games that fall flat on their face.

NES Works #95: 1943: The Battle of Midway and Bump 'N Jump

This week's public video (which will close out page 2 of this thread) is on two NES games. Capcom's 1943:The Battle of Midway which was a much better arcade port than 1942. A pretty good schmup although not quite Zanac. Vik Tokai's Bump 'N Jump is a hard game that I personally don't care for but I can see why some would consider it a better game than Spy Hunter. Patrons received a pair of NES Works videos. One on Dr. Chaos and Superman, two ambitious games that just couldn't execute well. The other on Cobra Command and Anticipation, a pair of games with interesting ideas but also fall short (they're better than Dr. Chaos or Superman though). Anticipation was definitely regularly played at my house when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom