• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News IndieWorld Showcase on 4/17 at 7am PT/16:00 CEST, roughly 20 minutes long

I just saw that Bzzzt got really good reviews--91 on Metacritic. I think I'll give it a chance when it releases.

I am here waiting for impressions to buy it and I feel everyone else is doing the same 🥲

Yeah lol. I won't buy it until tomorrow afternoon at the least, so let's see if someone bites before.

Presentation seems on point, the price is ok for the content announced (180 puzzles, 15€), with daily and weekly puzzles, too. It reminds me of Picross somehow, that's why I summoned mazi, but it must be my thing according to his reply. I haven't understood the mechanics yet, as a Picross purist I'd play it with no assists but I'm still in the dark about how it works

Scratch that, bought it. I trust games with penguins as mascots.

Won't get to it until later, will report back when I do.
Great 😁

I think this may help, perhaps?

They're called "Shikoku", apparently. I'd like to learn more about controls on Switch, this being a former mobile and Apple Arcade game.

Bzzzt is like, my kinda shit, specifically.

I would love to love that game. It's very pleasant visually, very short according to HLTB and everyone says it's very polished and well designed. However, I have a very hard time mustering the energy or patience to play a precision platformer nowadays. Maybe I'll change my mind at some point in the future.

loved the trailer music for Loreley and the laser eyes and will definitely keep an eye on that cause Simogo always delivers 💜

Also thought that Europa looked stunning but couldn't find much on the game at all and gameplay-wise I am afraid it's little more than pure traversal? if so that would be a bit of a bummer if it also doesn't include much of story but will keep my eyes peeled for some reviews

all in all a cute direct with some interesting games, just what I need this year on Switch in absence of heavy hitters on the horizon

neat is always the best way I'd describe indie world showcases, not really need to be earth shattering or break the hype sound barrier so all in all it was pretty good. Heist 2 was a nice surprise even if what I truly want is Dig 3 but maybe that'll be a Switch 2 launch game (one can hope).

neat is always the best way I'd describe indie world showcases, not really need to be earth shattering or break the hype sound barrier so all in all it was pretty good. Heist 2 was a nice surprise even if what I truly want is Dig 3 but maybe that'll be a Switch 2 launch game (one can hope).
That reminds me that Nintendo are the only one doing a presentation soley for Indie games (of the big three that consist of Sony and Xbox). Which surprises me.
On another Note
Refind self, looks really cool in my opinion
Also Schim is probably the game i'm most excited for, because the concept of shadows is really cool.

Lastly Animal well has a lot of potential and the Visual looks stunning.

That reminds me that Nintendo are the only one doing a presentation soley for Indie games (of the big three that consist of Sony and Xbox). Which surprises me.
Microsoft does occasionally do ID@Xbox presentations, but those aren't really as high-profile "rolling out the red carpet" events as an Indie World

AntonBlast being November is pretty far out, but at least there's a demo. Might give that a whirl.
Looks fun! It's giving Earthworm Jim vibes
TMNT Splintered Fate being freed from Apple Jail was a very nice sight to see.
Hopes for Fantasian?

Kid: "Mom, can i have Silksong?"
Mom: "We have Silksong at home"

Was this trailer in the jp stream? I had it in my yt notifications.

Okami Knight

Did anyone else think that Europa looked surprisingly pretty? I haven't checked out the demo yet, but it looked way better than I'm used to a lot of 3D games on Switch looking. My suspicion is that my amazement could be the result of the developers using a custom engine (or at least not UE/Unity), brilliant art, or me being tired when the Direct aired. I definitely will check out the demo to see if the gameplay is my thing and if it looks as good as I hope.

The other surprise for me was ANTONBLAST having a demo and being dated with a specific date but in November.

This Direct was pretty good for my tastes. Going by Deku Deals's collection of the indie games highlighted today, I apparently liked over 80% of the games shown enough to put them on my wishlist.

Great 😁

I think this may help, perhaps?

They're called "Shikoku", apparently. I'd like to learn more about controls on Switch, this being a former mobile and Apple Arcade game.

The game is surprisingly okay. I wouldn't know how good is it as a puzzle game but I just came back from playing it for like three hours back to back, so there is that.

There's something amazingly zen about it.

Did anyone else think that Europa looked surprisingly pretty? I haven't checked out the demo yet, but it looked way better than I'm used to a lot of 3D games on Switch looking. My suspicion is that my amazement could be the result of the developers using a custom engine (or at least not UE/Unity), brilliant art, or me being tired when the Direct aired. I definitely will check out the demo to see if the gameplay is my thing and if it looks as good as I hope.

The other surprise for me was ANTONBLAST having a demo and being dated with a specific date but in November.

This Direct was pretty good for my tastes. Going by Deku Deals's collection of the indie games highlighted today, I apparently liked over 80% of the games shown enough to put them on my wishlist.
Wasn't just you. It looks really nice.

Odd show for me. I walked away with a fairly high amount of games I was interested in, eight, but I’m also not really committed to any of them. They are all in varying “wait for impressions” stages for me. I think Little Kitty Big City ended up as my favorite as an Untitled Goose Game fan, but the appeal isn’t as strong as being a horrible goose haha. Animal Well, Schim, and Bzzzt all looked neat too, but they were in the sizzle reel. Saw longer trailers for the latter two though at least and I’ll be keeping my eye on both.

Odd show for me. I walked away with a fairly high amount of games I was interested in, eight, but I’m also not really committed to any of them. They are all in varying “wait for impressions” stages for me. I think Little Kitty Big City ended up as my favorite as an Untitled Goose Game fan, but the appeal isn’t as strong as being a horrible goose haha. Animal Well, Schim, and Bzzzt all looked neat too, but they were in the sizzle reel. Saw longer trailers for the latter two though at least and I’ll be keeping my eye on both.
Yeah there were several games I'm quite interested in but then I look at my backlog and my eshop wishlist and go "uhhhhh" 😅

That's more on me than it is anything about the quality of the games shown today but it's still becoming A Thing that comes up anytime I see a new games presentation these days. A lot of stuff like Bzzzt or Europa that I aughta be really excited about ends up being more like "welp, on the list it goes for a while" and that's kinda too bad.

Too much good stuff, yall

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but there was a weird ARG relating to the QoTech corporation featured in Yars Rising (they have a website and Twitter that used a #WayForward tag iirc) in the week preceding.
Also a bit surprised AntonBlast's got 7 months to cook but as far as I would interpret it, that's more time for polish so good on them.

I just now sat down and watched it. It felt like a typical Indie World, which for me means it didn't knock my socks off but I liked it. I have no particular interest nor disinterest in Silksong, so it not showing up here has no effect on me.

The two games that really grabbed me to the point of "yeah, I definitely want to buy that" were Refind Self and SteamWorld Heist II. Refind Self looks charming and has an interesting premise; the first SteamWorld Heist was awesome so I'm totally down for a sequel.

Other games that I wouldn't consider "Must Buy/Day One" but stood out to me:
  • Wario Land Pizza Tower ANTONBLAST - looks like a souped up GBA game, and I mean that in the best way. I'll check out the demo.
  • Lorelei and the Lazer Eyes - just looks really cool. It remains on my radar.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Hades - I've kind of had my fill of roguelikes but I like seeing something a little different done with the TMNT license.
  • stitch. - They lost me when they said "cozy embroidery game" but then they said it was a puzzle game and reeled me back in somewhat. It's on the wishlist.
  • BZZT, SCHiM, Animal Well - for me the best Indie World sizzle reel in recent memory, as all three of these looked great.
Defintely more of a "looks neat, maybe check it out later" showcase for me, but it's always interesting to see what indie devs are up to on Switch.

I just saw that Bzzzt got really good reviews--91 on Metacritic. I think I'll give it a chance when it releases.
Yeah I read some steam reviews and saw a video of the developer playing it. Looks incredibly polished.

Good presentation. Yars Rising looks sick. Gave me some vibes of, like, “2D Metroid with a talkative protagonist” which is cool.

EDIT: Oh, and Lorelei getting a release date is really, really nice to see. Definitely on the radar.

I wasn't interested in it during the presentation, but I downloaded the demo of Cat Quest 3, and it's a lot of fun. Funny and I really like the art style.

I'm gonna guess Devolver will deliver their own showcase around June and announce final release dates for the Plucky Squire, Anger Foot, Skate Story and such.

Is that good? Looks interesting, but I can't find any reviews
if you like uncharted water you will love this.
but there is some ground exploration "not much" , managing crew, food, etc.. and a lot of dialog.
its perfect for switch handheld play. :giggle:

Any impressions on Stitch? As a fan of Picross it looked like something I'd enjoy but I can't really seem to find much information on it online, apart from that it's another Apple Arcade re-release (Love that trend btw).

Any impressions on Stitch? As a fan of Picross it looked like something I'd enjoy but I can't really seem to find much information on it online, apart from that it's another Apple Arcade re-release (Love that trend btw).
I've been playing it a lot and it's really fun! It's not so much picross as it is embroidery-themed shikaku puzzles. My only real complaint is the game has one song. It does get layers as you complete more of a hoop but it's still just the same song every time, even on the menu. I suppose it's good as a podcast game or something like that though.

The demo of Cat Quest 3 is super shot but god damn, they really upgraded everything I wanted from the previous games

1. You now can have both melee and ranged attacks (no longer choosing between swords and rods)
2. Enemies have more complex patter now (the first boss you fight has more attacks than most of the bosses in the previous games)
3. More interesting caverns/dungeons: There are still simple ones, but at least now they have more variety with switches, and the trailer shown more variety for dungeons
4. Better UI: specially for equipment
5. Better indicators for caverns: not just a check, now it actually tells you how many chests are missing
6. Better performance: While 1 and 2 didn't had much issue, both had some weird hiccups at times (mainly because the entire map was loaded). Since the PoV changed now, it's now only rendering what you need to see.

The only thing I could ask for them would be a lock on when you are on the ship, but other than that they pretty much purrfected the game

I've been playing it a lot and it's really fun! It's not so much picross as it is embroidery-themed shikaku puzzles. My only real complaint is the game has one song. It does get layers as you complete more of a hoop but it's still just the same song every time, even on the menu. I suppose it's good as a podcast game or something like that though.

I grabbed this one and like it, it is a very chill vibes game though -- even the 'very hard' puzzles I find to be quite easy. More just kind of get in the zone of enjoying it and seeing what comes up, there's lots of content along with daily / weekly puzzles (and you have to complete 365 daily puzzles to unlock the final final puzzle so that would take a while!). Some of the puzzles are huge and take an hour+ to complete on by themselves, even if they aren't that challenging. As mentioned here there is only one music track that isn't very great, I actually just went in and turned off the music entirely after a few hours.

From this Indie direct I also picked up 'Sticky Business' which I haven't tried yet, looks interesting though.

I've been hooked on it since it dropped last week.

Great game.

I agree with touchfuzzy, the puzzles never get too challenging, but they're still satisfying to solve. It's just a chill game to play.

Tried out the Antonblast and Cat Quest 3 demos today and was left with some positive impressions. Antonblast felt like some long lost GBA game, and getting into the groove and blasting through the levels with the fury of a charging bull was sooo fun.

Meanwhile I am totally in love with the stylized, isometric map in Cat Quest 3. It's just fun to explore. It's definitely on the easy side, so it seems perfect for a laidback swashbuckling adventure.

I'm really interested in trying out Yars Rising once it releases. Seems like a cool way to reinvent the series, obvious metroidvanias bias is obvious, and I like the vibes of the protagonist. The cybernetic dragonfly wings at the end are a great cherry on top!

Back
Top Bottom