• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour IGN has learned from multiple sources that PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo won't be part of E3 2023

Eh idk but Nintendo hasn't done a presser at E3 in so long that for the most part they had already moved on.

At any rate I think we can all agree that E3 is basically dead.
The press conference isn't even part of E3. It's a pre-show event that Nintendo replaced with an equivalent one. They participated in E3 to basically the fullest extent possible right up until (according to this report) this year.

Just because they're pulling out of E3 (assuming this report is true), doesn't mean any of the Big Three can't do a summer event on their own. It does suck though, cause SGF has been underwhelming thus far, Sony hasn't really done much over the past few years, and Nintendo has been spotty on it since the pandemic started. I miss having a place where you knew the whole industry would show up and everyone could just be excited about games together for a week.

They might as well just end E3 now. I can't imagine many people getting hyped for a show that's just Ubisoft, EA, and Square-Enix.

Okay, I know you are celebrating that speculation will live in June. BUT. This also means no Treehouse. No Miyamoto shwiing Pikmin 4 live, no Pikmin at the booth. Nothing. This is the sad part of the story.
As someone who wouldn't be at the booth, a video is a video.

This makes me sad. I was hoping to see a new cool Nintendo E3 booth, plus a few days of Treehouse.

I hope Nintendo and the others at least do presentations. But on their own and not with Summer Games Fest. SGF is pure cringe and Keighly needs to stay in his lane.

Ever since Sony stoped doing press conferences E3 has been dead to me. So long as Xbox still does their summer showcase in the first half of June I'm good.

Those still expecting and hoping for a June Direct aren't really paying attention. We're in "last year before new hardware" territory and we just learned Nintendo might not be at E3; what do you think is actually out there to show that they won't show in the February Direct or can talk about in a random Twitter drop?

You can bet on Nintendo wanting to ride the TotK train for the rest of the year alongside DLC for Mario Kart and Pokémon. If you're confused about how little marketing there has been for TotK so close to release, well I bet by the end of the year you'll be sick of hearing about it in Nintendo's marketing channels.

Pretty depressing that we may not ever have another huge E3 week; 12 year-old me would be weeping. SGF also really hasn’t done it for me as a substitute.

If we really are at the point where Nintendo and Microsoft are finally pulling out of E3, it's probably over. We seem to be fully entering the era of decentralized summer game announcements.

I’m not sure why Nintendo reportedly pulling out of E3 due to frustrations with the ESA somehow translates to no Nintendo Direct in the summer
There's nothing in the article about Nintendo pulling out because of "frustrations with the ESA".

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I think Nintendo's second half of 2023 is going to make it pretty clear why there's no Nintendo at E3 this year.

Damn. The fun of looking at E3 schedules, trying to catch presentations and memes of who "won" may be truly over. It was fun while it lasted.

This seems like a vote of “no confidence” in whatever ReedPOP is looking to do with the show now that they’re running it.

Certainly possible they’re just going to run it like a PAX LA or SDCC that’s more geared at the general consumer rather than insiders.

Feels like there’s another shoe that needs to drop to really understand what’s going on here.

If we really are at the point where Nintendo and Microsoft are finally pulling out of E3, it's probably over. We seem to be fully entering the era of decentralized summer game announcements.

willy-wonka-you-lose.gif

E3 - more like, EVERYONE BUT THE BIG THREE!

Honestly what sucks about this more than anything is the centralized nature of it. Comparing companies presentations, shitting on the bad ones, crying at no Prime 4 reveal. All the fun stuff.

As far as consistent presentations though? Man, it's been a while. A lot of that is due to COVID to be fair, but I don't know ... I remember Microsoft of all companies having the best E3 in 2018. That says something! To be fair, at least we have Nintendo's E3 2019 as one of the best ones in recent years.

Well this sucks. Not that E3 isn't becoming a bit antiquated, but 1) it was a fun show, 2) it held the Nintendo presentation to a date instead of letting them meander and string along the fanbase, and 3) it facilitated a lot of collaborations through backroom discussions.

Well, there goes prime 4's reveal this year (VGAs? nintendo pls)
The good news is, I would say if Prime 4 is ready to be at least unveiled, there's no shortage of places they can do it.

At earliest, the February Direct, whenever the hell that is. Fall Direct/pre-TGS period, if they want to stick with the more typical 5-6 month premier-to-release thing. The Keighleys, if they really want to throw Geoff a bone with a major release (and at worst, it means the game won't be probably out before Summer 2024).

Worse comes to worse, if 2023 really is going to be otherwise a Remaster-filled year, along with some notable mid-tier releases, then it would add a nice bit of context why Nintendo doesn't feel the need to come out.

Definitely feels like the year before major hardware release for Nintendo.

It feels like Pikmin 4, Prime remake, and a 2D Mario/DK/etc. would be enough for an E3 show. Starting to think this year is either going to suck besides TotK, or the February direct will be pretty lit and announce stuff that would normally be saved for an E3-timeframe Direct.

The only silver lining to them not showing up due to a lack of games in the pipeline would be if this means Nintendo has new hardware coming out next year or something. If not, the lack of an E3 presentation will be a huge bummer.

The only silver lining to them not showing up due to a lack of games in the pipeline would be if this means Nintendo has new hardware coming out next year or something. If not, the lack of an E3 presentation will be a huge bummer.
Or the lack of them showing up has no bearing regarding the presence of new hardware or not, seeing as how the other two companies are walking out.

It sounds like it's less "Nintendo doesn't have any games" and more "Nintendo doesn't have any games needing a huge demo booth and a life-sized statue".

It sounds like it's less "Nintendo doesn't have any games" and more "Nintendo doesn't have any games needing a huge demo booth and a life-sized statue".
Well, the thing is, it's not just Nintendo, but all 3 that's being reported...

Yeah but what if their booth was filled with tiny Pikmin statues? Wouldn't that have been cute?

You lack imagination, Nintendo. The statues need not be large.

Unless they bring back late 00's wackyness, E3 isn't worth anyone's time now.

Definitely feels like the year before major hardware release for Nintendo.

Posted this elsewhere, but I'm not so sure that's the reason. If Nintendo avoided E3s due to lack of big content, they would not have attended 2015 & 2016. Hell only 1 game was at E3 2016. I mean there is still probably going to be a June Direct so the only difference would be lack of a Nintendo booth at the convention center, which wouldn't even matter to us as we don't attend the actual event.

I haven’t cared about E3 in over a decade and I will continue not caring after it dies. Sitting through 50 minutes of nonsense for maybe 5-10 minutes of interesting footage or reveals is not my cup of tea.

Roll on the February Direct.

It's crazy to think that once upon a time Nintendo skipping just a live E3 conference and everybody called a death sentence on Nintendo. Now the big 3 is literally having no presence at E3 for their own produced shows.

I liked E3 a lot but maybe because I never attended one live, I don’t really mind it going the way of the dodo. Especially when everyone is doing their own video presentations anyway.

There's nothing in the article about Nintendo pulling out because of "frustrations with the ESA".

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I think Nintendo's second half of 2023 is going to make it pretty clear why there's no Nintendo at E3 this year.
I’m not sure which article your reading then; from the article itself:
According to one knowledgeable source, there have been "ongoing frustrations" with the ESA over the last three years, who they claim have "incredibly mishandled the E3 brand over the last three years." They corroborated other IGN sources in saying that several major E3 organizers have departed the ESA, "leaving a new group to sweep up after them," and criticized ReedPop's handling of the event.
Nintendo has had a summer Direct essentially every year with the lone exception being 2020 due to Covid. So, what evidence are people using outside of nothing for all the sudden pearl clutching.

Now people have tried to link it to the rumors of Nintendo not having anything big after Zelda, but frankly I find that reasoning beyond suspect.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom