• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour IGN has learned from multiple sources that PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo won't be part of E3 2023

Welp.

I guess it's not really surprising, though, given E3's "presence" the past few years.

Maybe they'll all be part of IGN's Summer of Gaming instead lol.

I was surprised to hear that E3 was attempting to continue to exist, it seemed done. So I'm not too surprised by this news.

Yeah, that's the death knell for E3. No console publishers will in turn mean no major 3rd party publishers, and at that point nobody is gonna tune in.

Geoff Keighly won the war, it seems.

1aa1blank.png

I always figured Sony and Nintendo would be a no go. They bounced years ago. Also Phil was cagey about Microsoft attending in last week's podcast he was in so I figured Microsoft was out. I don't even see the point of E3 without these companies to be honest. Just move on.

Also, shout out to IGN games journalist Kat Bailey for not only getting this scoop but also hosting the very best RPG podcast that's around, Axe of the Blood God. I'm a frequent listener and would recommend it!

This unpredictable Nintendo actually deflates any kind of hype I would get from
Their events.
I really don’t like this out of nowhere shows and I don’t find it a good idea. There’s a reason why E3, Oscar, Tokyo Game Show, GDC and Apple September event are always stable….

This unpredictable Nintendo actually deflates any kind of hype I would get from
Their events.
I really don’t like this out of nowhere shows and I don’t find it a good idea. There’s a reason why E3, Oscar, Tokyo Game Show, GDC and Apple September event are always stable….
Technically, there is stability with Nintendo (I.e. you can generally expect a show from them in Q1, Q2, and Q3, usually falling into Jan-Feb, June, and September).

This sure pairs interestingly with that rumor that supposedly Nintendo doesn't have anything after Zelda due to some sort of lack of "event booking". If this is what that rumor was based on, that makes it look like an even dumber take than it already did.
I always figured Sony and Nintendo would be a no go. They bounced years ago. Also Phil was cagey about Microsoft attending in last week's podcast he was in so I figured Microsoft was out. I don't even see the point of E3 without these companies to be honest. Just move on.
This would be the first E3 Nintendo actually skipped. They've actively maintained their presence up to this point.

This sure pairs interestingly with that rumor that supposedly Nintendo doesn't have anything after Zelda due to some sort of lack of "event booking". If this is what that rumor was based on, that makes it look like an even dumber take than it already did.
That... huh, yeah, I hope this isn't what that whole rumour is based on because holy shit would that be dumb

Wow. As a big ESA member, Nintendo went to bat for E3 for quite some time. Without them there, let alone Microsoft, the whole event becomes way less of a centralized thing for people to pay attention to. A shame, since I don't care for the more scattered nature of the Summer Games Fest, but I get it.

This would be the first E3 Nintendo actually skipped. They've actively maintained their presence up to this point.

Nintendo has not been at E3 in many years. They have had June Directs but no actual event at E3 in a long ass time. No attendance at all.

Technically, there is stability with Nintendo (I.e. you can generally expect a show from them in Q1, Q2, and Q3, usually falling into Jan-Feb, June, and September).
I know, but some people were quoting those two guys who used to work at Nintendo (Crysta and someone else) and are now on YouTube. They supposedly were saying Nintendo won’t make shows under expected conditions.

Canceling the June direct, like last year, an in 2023 points that this rumor is actually true.
I know, let’s wait and see before over reaction, but if this is the new Nintendo marketing tactics, they can count me out.

I know, but some people were quoting those two guys who used to work at Nintendo (Crysta and someone else) and are now on YouTube. They supposedly were saying Nintendo won’t make shows under expected conditions.

Canceling the June direct, like last year, an in 2023 points that this rumor is actually true.
I know, let’s wait and see before over reaction, but if this is the new Nintendo marketing tactics, they can count me out.
???

Nintendo has not been at E3 in many years. They have had June Directs but no actual event at E3 in a long ass time. No attendance at all.
Yeah, no, this is just not true. They maintained their booth for as long as that was a thing they could do and were, in all meaningful respects, in full attendance. They replaced their pre-show press conference with a Direct, but that's not, nor has it ever been, even technically part of the show.

Welp...June is certainly gonna be a whole lot more depressing from now on. I would hope that Nintendo would still do directs around that time, but I highly doubt they would, as they seem content on just doing one in Feb and Sep.

Okay, I know you are celebrating that speculation will live in June. BUT. This also means no Treehouse. No Miyamoto shwiing Pikmin 4 live, no Pikmin at the booth. Nothing. This is the sad part of the story.

Yeah, no, this is just not true. They maintained their booth for as long as that was a thing they could do and were, in all meaningful respects, in full attendance. They replaced their pre-show press conference with a Direct, but that's not, nor has it ever been, even technically part of the show.

From what I can see on Google, Nintendo's last E3 booth was in 2019.

This is incredibly depressing. E3 has been one of my favourite things for many years and it seems like it's truly dying. SGF has not been able to replace it in the slightest imo. I want that weekend of games, not something that's split up over a month or two.

I must have missed when they talked about this. Does anyone have a link?

Eh idk but Nintendo hasn't done a presser at E3 in so long that for the most part they had already moved on.
I disagree with this assertion, until 2019, Nintendo had the biggest booth and the largest show floor space of anyone in the industry at E3. They've gone out of their way to be a proponent batting for E3 for years, moving to the digital format for their shows didn't change that.

It‘s not that I miss E3 particularly, I just want more live gaming events again. I mean the big publishers are even starting to skip Gamescom and many other smaller regional events. Nintendo should hold Nintendo Live in the US and/or Europe too if they don‘t want to attend at other events. That would be already really cool.

I disagree with this assertion, until 2019, Nintendo had the biggest booth and the largest show floor space of anyone in the industry at E3. They've gone out of their way to be a proponent batting for E3 for years, moving to the digital format for their shows didn't change that.

Welp it's dead now!

Back
Top Bottom