• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour IGN has learned from multiple sources that PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo won't be part of E3 2023

It's not the fact that we lost the stage presentation and demos, it the fact that at E3 we were guaranteed the release of new info on upcoming/future projects. If Nintendo stopped doing stage presentations/demos at E3 earlier and sent out press releases to news outlets instead of doing Directs I would be happy. I don't care about the presentation; I just want the info.

Edit: I don't even mind if Nintendo doesn't give us trailers of the new games, I would be content if they just sent out info about the game and a couple of screenshots like the days of Nintendo Power, except it would be closer to when the game would be releasing.
Returning to Pre-COVID E3 operations was never going to realistically happen. E3 is at its core a trade show (with several failed attempts at being more open to the public), and the purpose of a trade show is ultimately getting people of the same trade in the same physical vicinity to do business. COVID forced everyone to learn how to do business without being near each other, and video game companies had to adapt to several years of not being able to go to E3.

However, not going to E3 had some major perks like avoiding the massive spending for booths and being safe from getting inadvertently doxxed by the ESA. Now that the companies have learned how to function without E3, there had to be a very strong incentive to go back, and I can't think of anything that fits that bill.

E3 was already declining and after multiple years of leaks and failures why would any of the big 3 bother with them when now they of several years of doing their own thing(and Nintendo shifted to a year around direct to consumer method nearly a decade ago). Not to mention the ever invasive floor leaks. Now they have doxxing and data leaks too. Doesn’t benefit them at all

That would be a pretty out of line thing for the ESA to say. The ESA is fundamentally an industry advocacy group, of which Nintendo is a member. Even if that was the reason, they'd never say it out loud.

Claiming to know Nintendo's lineup for a year at such an early point is just inherently a fairly difficult to believe claim, especially when attached to a sort of reporting that game journalists have a long and storied history of overreacting to.
IIRC Kat Bailey (the writer of the article) isn't a historical Nintendo doomer, and is someone with enough connections in the industry that I think it's believable that she'd have some level of insight into at least NoA's broader marketing plans for the coming year. We should still take this sort of thing with a grain of salt but I don't see why we wouldn't put some level of trust into a rumor like this coming from multiple parties vs. someone like NateDrake (who I have no issue with, I'm just using him as an example of someone whose info this community has taken pretty seriously in the past).

IIRC Kat Bailey (the writer of the article) isn't a historical Nintendo doomer, and is someone with enough connections in the industry that I think it's believable that she'd have some level of insight into at least NoA's broader marketing plans for the coming year. We should still take this sort of thing with a grain of salt but I don't see why we wouldn't put some level of trust into a rumor like this coming from multiple parties vs. someone like NateDrake (who I have no issue with, I'm just using him as an example of someone whose info this community has taken pretty seriously in the past).
Personally I just don't think it passes the sniff test. Multiple people reporting something can be wrong, especially when it's about a lack of something.

To be honest, I'm not expecting any major titles besides Pikmin and a 2D Mario/Donkey Kong after Tears of the Kingdom for the rest of the year. That doesn't seem substantial enough to put in the effort for E3 but, it wouldn't discount a third party heavy June Direct.
It is a tad strange that no one has rumored of a new game in general so far aside from Zippo. There's been a several remaster rumors but nothing brand new.

Returning to Pre-COVID E3 operations was never going to realistically happen. E3 is at its core a trade show (with several failed attempts at being more open to the public), and the purpose of a trade show is ultimately getting people of the same trade in the same physical vicinity to do business. COVID forced everyone to learn how to do business without being near each other, and video game companies had to adapt to several years of not being able to go to E3.

However, not going to E3 had some major perks like avoiding the massive spending for booths and being safe from getting inadvertently doxxed by the ESA. Now that the companies have learned how to function without E3, there had to be a very strong incentive to go back, and I can't think of anything that fits that bill.
That’s fine, I was just saying I liked it when we had one time of the year where we we’re guaranteed to learn info, it can be E3 summer games fest or something else entirely.

And they said E3 was back this year?!
My entire adult life I have booked E3 of work so when it doesn’t happen it’s super depressing.

It doesn't sound any more believable when IGN says it. There's a long history of game journalists dooming about Nintendo's (both perceived and actual) non-participation in E3.
They aren't dooming though, all they said is that their source has said that Nintendo considers the second half of the year to be light on heavy hitters. Doesn't mean nothing will release, just that after Zelda the year may be quieter. Sounds like we could be getting remakes and remasters so I can see that. When Nintendo themed e3 2016 around 1 game, that game was BOTW, their biggest release in years. The other game they had was pokemon sun and moon, arguably their biggest franchise. They would only theme e3 around 1 or two games if they had a mario or a zelda releasing in the secoind half of the year

Is it time?
Are we in the prophesied old shit year?

They aren't dooming though, all they said is that their source has said that Nintendo considers the second half of the year to be light on heavy hitters. Doesn't mean nothing will release, just that after Zelda the year may be quieter. Sounds like we could be getting remakes and remasters so I can see that. When Nintendo themed e3 2016 around 1 game, that game was BOTW, their biggest release in years. The other game they had was pokemon sun and moon, arguably their biggest franchise. They would only theme e3 around 1 or two games if they had a mario or a zelda releasing in the secoind half of the year

Nintendo would never theme an e3 or anything else around 1 game if they had any other choice, even with something like TOTK coming.

I know it's been a while, but Nintendo was in seriously dire straits in 2016. What else were they going to show at that e3?
The only other Wii U game they had coming was paper mario colour splash.
Meanwhile the headliner for the year on the 3ds other than Pokémon was a rerelease of Animal crossing New leaf, and a port of mario maker which didn't even include the online sharing functions. And then there's Federation force, a game whose reception was already through the floor from previous showings, with every attempt to convince the public to buy in just making things worse.

If Nintendo ever ends up with a release schedule like that again, they'll have had to have been in some incredibly serious trouble for it to get like that

What a boring year we're in for lol
I think games news and announcements will be somewhat boring permanatley now. Now that companies have gotten a taste of the lime light, i dont think we will ever go back to one amazing week of pure gaming news. Again, i dont like it, but also need to accept that the industry has moved on. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing however, as i think we are moving away from titles being announced 4-5 years too early, while publishers instead focus on the immediate 6-12 months

Nintendo would never theme an e3 or anything else around 1 game if they had any other choice, even with something like TOTK coming.

I know it's been a while, but Nintendo was in seriously dire straits in 2016. What else were they going to show at that e3?
The only other Wii U game they had coming was paper mario colour splash.
Meanwhile the headliner for the year on the 3ds other than Pokémon was a rerelease of Animal crossing New leaf, and a port of mario maker which didn't even include the online sharing functions. And then there's Federation force, a game whose reception was already through the floor from previous showings, with every attempt to convince the public to buy in just making things worse.

If Nintendo ever ends up with a release schedule like that again, they'll have had to have been in some incredibly serious trouble for it to get like that
I agree, they were in dire straits in 2016 but I think the only way they would theme e3 around 1 game is if they had a really really big game, but as you say it is very unlikely. I also just thought the comparisons didn't make sense that people didn't believe that Nintendo would pull out of E3 because they themed their E3 around 1 game.

There's nothing in the article about Nintendo pulling out because of "frustrations with the ESA".

I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I think Nintendo's second half of 2023 is going to make it pretty clear why there's no Nintendo at E3 this year.
Come on. They've had some shitty software lineups in the past, but never just skipped the damn thing. Whatever it is (I personally just lean to the event's recent irrelevance), it goes beyond that.

Why should we put trust into this rumor when the people making said rumour & those supposedly corroborating can’t define what they mean by “major”, “heavy hitter”, or “sparse.” Never mind that this has changed ever so slightly since first reported.

I’m also at a loss as to how this would necessitate Nintendo pulling out of E3 compared to literally everyone else; when they have had worse years yet never done it.

This just seems like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole & I’ve swear we have heard this before in various years.

Why should we put trust into this rumor when the people making said rumour & those supposedly corroborating can’t define what they mean by “major”, “heavy hitter”, or “sparse.” Never mind that this has changed ever so slightly since first reported.

I’m also at a loss as to how this would necessitate Nintendo pulling out of E3 compared to literally everyone else; when they have had worse years yet never done it.

This just seems like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole & I’ve swear we have heard this before in various years.
Other thing is some of Nintendo’s biggest hitters have short reveal to release windows and Nintendo Japan is infamously hard to get leaks from

The recent stories about Nintendo's "sparse" 2nd half sound like some guesswork/fill in the blanks are being done based off a piece of information or two, or lack of information, but journos/insiders are presenting it as something else, and in a somewhat vague way. I saw Imran mentioning he doubts anyone has a good idea of what Nintendo's release calendar looks like other than people at the higher levels of the company, which I think has been fairly well proven over the course of the Switch generation.

Inevitablely stuff will be announced, at which point you'll see some backpedaling with "well those aren't BIG releases", etc.

Yeah when insider sources say that Nintendo will have a light H2, what they really mean is that they don’t know what Nintendo has in the pipeline. I really doubt that Nintendo would straight up just tell the ESA they don’t have much planned for the year.

Well, we're certainly not getting a Summer Games Fest Direct, so I guess TGS in September is our only other guaranteed Direct.

Maybe the only good to come out of this is that Nintendo might consider showing off games a little more frequently that are more than four months out and less than a year away if they only stick to two a year.

Back
Top Bottom