• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour IGN has learned from multiple sources that PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo won't be part of E3 2023

I hope there’s still a big direct in June, and not only a simple partner showcase or nothing at all.

As much as I like the showcases, I prefer when Nintendo had 3 big directs per year (February, June and September), with small ones in the middle. Last year it only had 2 and that was lame.

I’m not sure which article your reading then; from the article itself:

Nintendo has had a summer Direct essentially every year with the lone exception being 2020 due to Covid. So, what evidence are people using outside of nothing for all the sudden pearl clutching.

Now people have tried to link it to the rumors of Nintendo not having anything big after Zelda, but frankly I find that reasoning beyond suspect.
Still not seeing the word "Nintendo" in your quote of the article. VGC's sources state that the reasoning for Nintendo specifically has to do with not feeling they have enough to show to warrant being there, so I'd say the notion that Nintendo pulled out due to frustrations with the ESA is more suspect.

Could mean they are siding with Geoff and Summer Games Fest? Either that or they just straight up don’t care about having a big week of gaming news and will just have presentations when they feel like it

Still not seeing the word "Nintendo" in your quote of the article. VGC's sources state that the reasoning for Nintendo specifically has to do with not feeling they have enough to show to warrant being there, so I'd say the notion that Nintendo pulled out due to frustrations with the ESA is more suspect.
They seem to believe that, but like, Nintendo can and will build their whole E3 around a single game if they have to. Not attending E3 just because they don't have "enough to show", whatever that means, would be very out of character for them. Actually pulling out is a pretty extreme move, to the point where I just don't believe they'd do that unless there were some actual grievances behind the scenes.

They made E3 2016 direct at E3 with literally one game

You can do a direct with Prime HD and F-Zero and be good to go for E3

They made E3 2016 direct at E3 with literally one game

Exactly. Nintendo put ALL their marketing resources (including educating their whole marketing staff on the ins and outs of BotW) on one game. If they do the same process just a few months before E3 this year, Nintendo might feel they don't have enough resources left for an E3 as well.

To be honest I actually forgot E3 was even going ahead this year lol

Definitely feels like the year before major hardware release for Nintendo.

It bothers me a little how this dude is trying to fit this information in the narrative he himself created. I mean, I doubt he has a picture of the entire line-up of this year. But even if that's the case, and as someone else has pointed, Nintendo has had presence at E3 even in its lowest years (2015 and 2016) showing barely nothing. If the THREE big companies are skipping E3, maybe there's a reason that goes beyond "Nintendo has no games", call me crazy.

Exactly. Nintendo put ALL their marketing resources (including educating their whole marketing staff on the ins and outs of BotW) on one game. If they do the same process just a few months before E3 this year, Nintendo might feel they don't have enough resources left for an E3 as well.
But even so to me it feels more lik "there is no game that need a demo showfloor"

I mean does Prime 1 HD or F-Zero or Mario 2D need it? No

Especially if the big game of the Summer direct is Prime 4 for 2024

Cool, now i just need to know who's also skipping Gamescom so i can decide if i skip it again this year.

I recall people saying the organisers had changed and were supposed to be better. Shame this looks like it's gone sideways.

I suppose we don't even know which third party publishers/developers and Indie pubs/devs will be there either? If the likes of Capcom, Devolver, PC Gamer Show, Square-Enix etc don't even show, it's well and truly over.

I preferred last summer with all the digital shows spread out over a few weeks anyway. Means less focus on hype, staged presentations with lengthy intros and crowds, and more focus on the stuff I’m actually interested in.

Fuck, I hated the June speculation last year :( thought for sure the return would bring Nintendo back as it always was😭😭😭

We're probably still going to get a June Direct, but I mean... E3 has been dead for a while now.

And I have to admit, even when it was "alive", I kinda started hating it, probably beginning a decade ago when Gen 8 started rolling around and found it increasingly hard to muster any care for what was shown beyond maybe Nintendo.

When the article headline is literally

Exclusive: Xbox, Nintendo, and Sony Won't Be Part of E3 2023​

It is all but implied that Nintendo is apart of those companies frustrated. The fact people still wanna believe this nonsense notion of “they don’t have games to show” thus they pulled; is something enthusiasts talk about every year but never pans out & should happen more often then never.
nothing against Directs, but they're kinda the reason for that
They really aren’t. Every other company tripping over themselves during E3 is the reason for that.

55yeV.jpg

The bag is gonna be pretty empty :(

I preferred last summer with all the digital shows spread out over a few weeks anyway. Means less focus on hype, staged presentations with lengthy intros and crowds, and more focus on the stuff I’m actually interested in.
Honestly, I prefer the "one week everything" deal that E3 brings to the table, no need to search for every presentation, learn the dates and month long scattered presentations that I feel deflate any hype.
But yes, the focused on games only presentation are better.

I'm sure there'll still be a Nintendo summer direct like always, but when you think about it, it's the Direct formula that Nintendo themselves pioneered that has spelt the end for the need for E3 really. No need to cram into the same space and battle for viewers eyeballs during a tiny week long period when they can schedule a livestream at their leisure and at a convenient time.

It kinda sucks because E3 was a lot of fun and a second Christmas for gamers, but it's kinda a redundant concept now unfortunately.

What bummer few years its been for games news and announcements, though its understandable why. I’ll miss my big e3, I guess I just need to accept its dead, and that that part of my life is over.

Last edited:
This is seriously like hearing "Yeah we'll have pizza at the party, but without the crust, cheese, or toppings."

I do miss the holiday that was the week of E3. But E3 had SO MANY problems I completely understand why people are ditching it in favor of their own livestreams or tagging along for Geoff's summer of games instead.
Websites database isn't secure, so there is constant information leaking like attendees addresses, phone numbers and contact info.
People getting ahold of their conference lineup or taking photos of their sets before their announcements ruining any surprise or hype for games.
Companies not having to spend millions on sets, performances and have to go through hosting a conference that's only really meant for people within the industry and news outlets.

I do miss the holiday that was the week of E3. But E3 had SO MANY problems I completely understand why people are ditching it in favor of their own livestreams or tagging along for Geoff's summer of games instead.
Websites database isn't secure, so there is constant information leaking like attendees addresses, phone numbers and contact info.
People getting ahold of their conference lineup or taking photos of their sets before their announcements ruining any surprise or hype for games.
Companies not having to spend millions on sets, performances and have to go through hosting a conference that's only really meant for people within the industry and news outlets.
The conferences themselves having issues which are often mediocre or bad. They issues include piped in applause, technical malfunctions, horrible/cringe presenters, terrible pacing, company plants, creating a demo meant only for E3, etc.
The show floor often not being great for the most part. Certain years there is a lot to play while others not.

Last edited:
I never gave a fuck about the actual show floor of E3.

I just loved that its existence mandated that 75% of the year's new game news came out in like a 4 day period, which became an unofficial holiday and festival of gaming.

If we could just get companies to sign up to that idea again I wouldn't care at all whether there were booths in some warehouse in downtown LA. But why would they? It's not beneficial to them. So we get a "summer of game announcements" that has no structure and that I pay no attention to at all.

But man, youngsters will never know the joys of back in like 2000-2003 when the torrent of floor-reporting news from the first day of E3 would start pouring in on game sites and it felt like there was still the legit chance that someone would be discovering the next GotY or PS2 cult classic at some previously no-name company's booth. It was total sensory overload and it was glorious.

Last edited:
I would say E3 is death and there is still a chance it'll be cancelled again. Especially with Summer Gaming Festival getting lots of buzz from the gaming community. Maybe E3 changes its scope to become a smaller part of something bigger and ends up surviving the new times....

No Pikmin booth is a downer but oh well. So weird people are saying it’s cause they have nothing when they’ve already announced Pikmin and likely have more plus Microsoft is also pulling away.

This just feels natural. Nintendo showed everybody they didn’t need a stage show and it took years for everybody else to catch on, now Sony showed everybody they didn’t need E3 and everybody else is catching on. That’s all I see here.

Nintendo Treehouse may have been birthed at E3, but it doesn't mean it'll go away.

NOA can get creative with their office space for them if need be. No need to worry overall!
I think, especially after Reggie, Kit and Krysta, Nintendo may be hesitant to let anyone at NoA have much of a public facing role.

Apparently as well, some of the treehouse employees let the fame really go to their head too. There is a very good reason we haven't seen treehouse in years.

It's kind of true too. Just being a public face for Nintendo can now get you all sorts of fame, and it can create huge headlines that blow up and negatively impact Nintendo as well.

I think, especially after Reggie, Kit and Krysta, Nintendo may be hesitant to let anyone at NoA have much of a public facing role.

Apparently as well, some of the treehouse employees let the fame really go to their head too. There is a very good reason we haven't seen treehouse in years.

It's kind of true too. Just being a public face for Nintendo can now get you all sorts of fame, and it can create huge headlines that blow up and negatively impact Nintendo as well.
You really think that's the case?

Regardless of that though, which all we can do is speculate on the outside looking in, they can still do Treehouse with voice overs while showcasing the game.

I never gave a fuck about the actual show floor of E3.

I just loved that its existence mandated that 75% of the year's new game news came out in like a 4 day period, which became an unofficial holiday and festival of gaming.

If we could just get companies to sign up to that idea again I wouldn't care at all whether there were booths in some warehouse in downtown LA. But why would they? It's not beneficial to them. So we get a "summer of game announcements" that has no structure and that I pay no attention to at all.

But man, youngsters will never know the joys of back in like 2000-2003 when the torrent of floor-reporting news from the first day of E3 would start pouring in on game sites and it felt like there was still the legit chance that someone would be discovering the next GotY or PS2 cult classic at some previously no-name company's booth. It was total sensory overload and it was glorious.
That is the main reason I loved E3, that one time of the year we were guaranteed news and information about games.

That is the main reason I loved E3, that one time of the year we were guaranteed news and information about games.
Having to come up with a stage presentation/demo or justify the lack thereof on a very rigid timeframe might give you that minor dopamine hit of hype, but I don't think it's healthy for development to always have to make this schedule for every single year.

The absence of E3 due to COVID in prior years forced everyone to have streamed events. However, now that publishers and console manufacturers already have this avenue to reach the public directly on their own terms and schedule, why do they need go back to E3? That weeklong hype cycle was meant to be a trade show rather than a public convention, so it's not like this changes anything for the actual consumer.

The last Nintendo Treehouse was 2022 Aug for Splatoon 3. So, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by years here.

There was some debate here about whether IGN meant to state that Nintendo was pulling out because of those "frustrations" with the ESA, but their newest article instead backs VGC's reporting:
The ESA partnered with ReedPop last year to revive E3, which has not had a physical event since 2019. IGN understands that Nintendo and Xbox were initially interested in having a presence at the event, but that both had to pull out for reasons unrelated to the show itself. VGC has since reported that Nintendo opted not to take part in the event due to a light second half release schedule not justifying the event space — information that IGN can corroborate.

Having to come up with a stage presentation/demo or justify the lack thereof on a very rigid timeframe might give you that minor dopamine hit of hype, but I don't think it's healthy for development to always have to make this schedule for every single year.

The absence of E3 due to COVID in prior years forced everyone to have streamed events. However, now that publishers and console manufacturers already have this avenue to reach the public directly on their own terms and schedule, why do they need go back to E3? That weeklong hype cycle was meant to be a trade show rather than a public convention, so it's not like this changes anything for the actual consumer.
It's not the fact that we lost the stage presentation and demos, it the fact that at E3 we were guaranteed the release of new info on upcoming/future projects. If Nintendo stopped doing stage presentations/demos at E3 earlier and sent out press releases to news outlets instead of doing Directs I would be happy. I don't care about the presentation; I just want the info.

Edit: I don't even mind if Nintendo doesn't give us trailers of the new games, I would be content if they just sent out info about the game and a couple of screenshots like the days of Nintendo Power, except it would be closer to when the game would be releasing.

Last edited:
They seem to believe that, but like, Nintendo can and will build their whole E3 around a single game if they have to. Not attending E3 just because they don't have "enough to show", whatever that means, would be very out of character for them. Actually pulling out is a pretty extreme move, to the point where I just don't believe they'd do that unless there were some actual grievances behind the scenes.
IGN's latest article has corroborated what VGC has said regarding their not being much to show, for what it's worth.

What would be your reaction if ESA was to confirm that themselves?
That would be a pretty out of line thing for the ESA to say. The ESA is fundamentally an industry advocacy group, of which Nintendo is a member. Even if that was the reason, they'd never say it out loud.

Claiming to know Nintendo's lineup for a year at such an early point is just inherently a fairly difficult to believe claim, especially when attached to a sort of reporting that game journalists have a long and storied history of overreacting to.

Back
Top Bottom