• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV Hollywood writers and studios reach deadline without agreement; writers strike imminent (UPDATE: writers and actors both reach agreements)

Disney only has 13 VFX workers?
According to the LA Times:

There were 18 eligible voters in Walt Disney Pictures VFX workers’ union election, with 13 voting in favor of unionization and zero voting against, IATSE said. They are part of Walt Disney Pictures, an arm of Walt Disney Studios, and have worked on live-action films “Aladdin,” “Lion King” and “Beauty and the Beast,” IATSE said.

I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of their VFX workforce are contractors with only a skeleton crew of actual Disney employees.

Odds are the whole department is about to be contractors 🫥
I've already seen claims spreading on the internet that "ackshually the writers just got the news that with this new deal the studios won't be able to invest in nearly as many tv shows so the amount of available work is about to plummet and now many of the writers regret striking in the first place" so... yeah, I could see some retaliatory department shrinkings to try and stoke the anti-union sentiment. 😩

I've already seen claims spreading on the internet that "ackshually the writers just got the news that with this new deal the studios won't be able to invest in nearly as many tv shows so the amount of available work is about to plummet and now many of the writers regret striking in the first place" so... yeah, I could see some retaliatory department shrinkings to try and stoke the anti-union sentiment. 😩

Of course, and these places will also raises prices to not lose profit.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised studios are playing hard ball. I would have figured with the writers back they’d want to get back to normal fast. Really annoying that they’re trying to drag this out.

Good to see the actors get what they deserve. Will be interested in seeing what the "sweeping AI protections" are.

Will update the thread title tomorrow probably.

Really hope the union didn't buckle under pressure. Now for the important part: more One Piece season 2 news!

Is three years normal?

Is this just gonna happen again in '26?
Speaking from my industry, yeah, that's pretty normal. Doesn't mean a strike will happen again, mind you - it depends on how things go at the negotiation table. It's why worker power needs to be maintained even in non-strike seasons!

Really hope the union didn't buckle under pressure.
Yeah this is what I was wondering about after the AMPTP said "final and best offer for serious yall" and SAG then said they've reached an agreement. I was prepared to "sure jan" the AMPTP on this as SAG once again says the deal is bull, but that.. didn't happen this time. And I hope the reason for that is because this is actually a workable deal and not because SAG decided to just get everyone back to work before the new tv season was set to crumble.

Last edited:
In the end, SAG-AFTRA did not get every AI restriction it was looking for. But it did get most of it, including a requirement that if a Frankenstein actor contains recognizable features of real-life actors, studios must get permission from those actors.

“If you’re using Brad Pitt’s smile and Jennifer Aniston’s eyes, both would have a right of consent,” said Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, the union’s chief negotiator.

Not a blanket ban but at least something, I guess?

Whoops I forgot to edit the title

All eyes are on the animation union now I think, their contract renews next year and I can’t imagine they’re too happy about the state of things

Whoops I forgot to edit the title

All eyes are on the animation union now I think, their contract renews next year and I can’t imagine they’re too happy about the state of things
IATSE too - i would expect more strikes from both the crew and animation union - considering animation makes studios so much money and how poorly they treat the workers that is gonna be a huge negotiation and the studios are gonna fight hard to keep things how they are

I am not read up on all the technical stuff about this contract, but I felt this was worth posting. There seems to be some disagreement over AI provisions here.

I am not read up on all the technical stuff about this contract, but I felt this was worth posting. There seems to be some disagreement over AI provisions here.
This thread came across my timeline earlier, shared by an actor who's been very visibly in support of the union and the strike, so I assume this is a relatively trustworthy perspective:

For those who don't wanna click through to the musky site, I'll paste the contents here:
Alright, a few takeaways from the 6 hours I spent on zoom today in the membership meeting w/ Duncan and the captains meeting w/ NegCom:1) We were never gonna completely stop Ai. We were almost never gonna get ANY protections from it whatsoever, but now...

The studios have to disclose to us any attempt at using Generative AI to create a synthetic fake to replace an actor. They don't get to do that shit in the shadows, we will know what they're up to, and WE CAN SAY NO. SAG can straight up not approve it...

The technology isn't there to fully replace an actor with Generative AI yet, and in 2.5 years when it has evolved, we'll have a stronger idea of what additional regulations we need. The Digital Replica language is more specified bc that tech exists, we know what to regulate...

2) Re: AI training - that has to be decided on in the courts. There's ongoing litigation right now over whether training AI w/ copyrighted material is technically infringement or not. Not something we can fix in our contract. WGA had to punt on this too...

3) Re: the lackluster zombie clause wording. I didn't get an exact answer on this, but SAG is preparing to have a portal where you can file your consent preferences. A very odd thing to have, but that's technology for ya! ...

4) Re: this Digital Replica exemption. Well, it is a constitutional thing, and it's technically no different than SNL parodying you. But breaches can be challenged. NegCom encourages members to FILE CLAIMS. Enforcement of any contract is always key...

5) I feel reassured that everyone - Duncan, Ray, and the NegCom - all acknowledged that our Ai provisions are a START, and that we will now monitor the evolution of it and prepare to build more regulations in 2026 when the GenAI ball game will be clearer for every player...

6) We also discussed what would happen if this contract was voted down - Most likely we would continue operating under the expired 2020 contract with zero gains, and we would go back to the table w/o the leverage of a double strike and risk losing the gains we currently made...

And we have some really great fucking wins in this contract!! The advanced residual protections are GREAT. The relocation money is GREAT. The brand spanking new HB AVOD money is ridiculously GREAT. So many great victories in here...

I personally am asking myself what additional gains could we realistically get now if we go back to the table. And I'm struggling to think of any. That's where I'm at after 6 hrs of Q&A.If you have concerns, I highly recommend attending a meeting or emailing SAG w/ questions!

One more important point!! If we were to completely prevent the AMPTP studios from using any kind of AI entirely, there'd still be no way to stop other companies w/ no contractual obligation to SAG-AFTRA from doing all the bullshit instead. And we would be all of the way FUCKED.

TL;DR as far as I can tell: a lot of stuff regarding generative AI is already in the courts regarding whether it counts as IP theft or not, so the union kinda has to see how that shakes out. Outside of that, the allowances for AI "actors" comes with a caveat: the union must be made aware of each time it's done and they seem to have veto power on a case-by-case basis.

And something I don't quite get (I'm a noob to union stuff) she says if they hadn't come to terms on this then actors would've likely been forced back to working under the expired contract's terms, which would've screwed all their leverage as the studios would once again have working actors and films/tv to make and no incentive to negotiate any further. And apparently there are some really good things in this deal so they took a pretty decent deal over a perfect deal, with room to negotiate more next time. Is what it sounds like.

Hopefully that's the case.

This deal seems pretty bad, and also a lot of actors couldn't vote due to not paying union dues:

Voice actors also seem unhappy as there is overall little protection for AI there. Writer's union definitely seems more on the ball.

Back
Top Bottom