• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV Hollywood writers and studios reach deadline without agreement; writers strike imminent (UPDATE: writers and actors both reach agreements)

The idea that small studios like NEON or A24 can accommodate demands but big studios flat out say they can’t would be hilarious if it wasn’t so infuriating.

I highly recommend subbing to Criterion Channel and riding that tasty wave of classics until these clowns give in — it’s Peggy Sue Got Married for me later!

I watch the free channels that came with my TV more than any streaming services. One of them is Antiques Roadshow UK 24/7. Another is nasty true crime like Forensic Files all the time. Fuck yeah. Don’t pay those jerks

Scab ass scab

Drew was completely unaware of the incident and we are in the process of reaching out to the affected audience members to offer them new tickets,” a spokesperson for The Drew Barrymore Show wrote in a statement to THR.
Yeah... suuure. Poor baby had no clue what is happening during her show 🙄

Yeah... suuure. Poor baby had no clue what is happening during her show 🙄
I mean here's the question... if you're supportive of the strikes, why did you have "heightened security" for the first episode back? Oh because you were worried about the strikes making the show look bad. and secondly why were the WGA writers who work on your show not informed the show was returning without them, noone reached out to them - bc you're scabbing. Drew Scabbymore knows all about whats happening - as she said in her "explanation" - "I want to be there to do what writers do so well"

Worth noting that The View, Jennifer Hudson Show, The Talk, Kelly Clarkson Show are also scabbing

Worth noting that Barrymore considers Spielberg a father figure and looks to him for guidance on stuff. Maybe he aughta have a chat with her.

Not gonna link his Twitter but Bill Maher is gonna scab and bring his show back, unsurprising from a POS like him

But when will the 6-month gap with no movies become obvious? Do studios have enough in their catalog to fill it, or will we have another summer movie dry spell?
Considering there are indie studios currently working (due to actually meeting the unions' requests almost immediately) it'll be like the old days: theaters full of smaller arthouse films instead of being completely pushed out by consecutive blockbuster runs.

(I'm sure it won't be that cut-and-dried but I can hope!)

I actually have a question about the scabby stuff. And forgive me, I'm new to paying attention to union stuff so I'm very ignorant. As I understand it would be scabby if, for instance, non-union writers were brought in to get these shows going again, as they'd be filling positions of the striking individuals. But when it gets to a point where the staff who aren't part of the striking groups are now potentially facing financial trouble and such over their work being frozen for so long, is bringing the show back without writers or actors still scabby? I understand the strike is meant to be disruptive and hurtful for the industry, and honestly fuck the studio side of this mess, but if these showrunners see that their crew can't sustain and they bring the show back to try and help those people keep their jobs (and make sure there's still a show for the writers and actors to even return to when this is done), is that still scabby? Is it still wrong for people who aren't in the striking professions to come back?

I'm not trying to come across like I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the wrong people, I'm trying to understand what is and is not considered acceptable in these sorts of situations. For example I remember seeing Conan being praised during the last writers strike for bringing the show back without writers and just running chaotic, off-the-cuff bullshit that he would come up with himself. And by keeping the show going they had the funds to continue paying their striking writers. I'm not saying that's what Barrymore and Maher are doing (though Maher's comments sound like that's the narrative he's trying to spin and.. honestly I don't believe he's sincere), but again, I guess I'm just asking where the line is and what would be best for showrunners should do in these sorts of situations.

Again, I'm reading that back and I'm afraid I kinda sound like I'm saying "won't someone think of the poor shows??" and I really don't mean it that way. I'm wondering out of concern for the other employees, definitely not the showrunners.

I actually have a question about the scabby stuff. And forgive me, I'm new to paying attention to union stuff so I'm very ignorant. As I understand it would be scabby if, for instance, non-union writers were brought in to get these shows going again, as they'd be filling positions of the striking individuals. But when it gets to a point where the staff who aren't part of the striking groups are now potentially facing financial trouble and such over their work being frozen for so long, is bringing the show back without writers or actors still scabby? I understand the strike is meant to be disruptive and hurtful for the industry, and honestly fuck the studio side of this mess, but if these showrunners see that their crew can't sustain and they bring the show back to try and help those people keep their jobs (and make sure there's still a show for the writers and actors to even return to when this is done), is that still scabby? Is it still wrong for people who aren't in the striking professions to come back?

I'm not trying to come across like I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the wrong people, I'm trying to understand what is and is not considered acceptable in these sorts of situations. For example I remember seeing Conan being praised during the last writers strike for bringing the show back without writers and just running chaotic, off-the-cuff bullshit that he would come up with himself. And by keeping the show going they had the funds to continue paying their striking writers. I'm not saying that's what Barrymore and Maher are doing (though Maher's comments sound like that's the narrative he's trying to spin and.. honestly I don't believe he's sincere), but again, I guess I'm just asking where the line is and what would be best for showrunners should do in these sorts of situations.

Again, I'm reading that back and I'm afraid I kinda sound like I'm saying "won't someone think of the poor shows??" and I really don't mean it that way. I'm wondering out of concern for the other employees, definitely not the showrunners.
Opinion on this will definitely vary. I don't think production people like grip, camera, etc. are scabbing by showing up to a set even without writers and actors and I don't think most would begrudge them for doing so to take the paycheck. I do think the people in charge are trying to go around the strike and keep money coming in even without writers and actors, so I don't take them to be acting in good faith. Unfortunately, strikes are supposed to be disruptive and is the only way most workers can create leverage, so while it's not the fault of skeleton crews working on these shows, I could see writers and actors feeling a bit discouraged that the show goes on without them.

Great to see Drew listening and reversing course (without playing the victim), it has also led to The Talk shutting down as well. We will see what happens with dancing with the stars which is being picketed…
Why is DWTS being picketed? It's not a WGA show.

Why is DWTS being picketed? It's not a WGA show.
It absolutely is a WGA show and they are crossing the picket line.
via https://directories.wga.org/ which has a database telling you what shows are covered by WGA contracts
F6QgqjPbUAA1p9u

The scope of roles involved in industrial action will be based on the nature of the union itself, and how many different jobs it covers.

Over here in the UK, the RMT are exercising their right to strike: while it's referred to as a train drivers strike, the RMT is the Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers union: therefore a ballot of members won't just cover train drivers, but a whole host of people working different jobs in the rail industry.

The specifics of who is or isn't a scab in this case will depend on who the industrial action is specifically covering (as the RMT industrial action is also covering ticket office staff redundancies as well as train driver demands). Similarly, Unite (the union I'm a member of) covers general white collar workers, so has millions of members with different jobs and careers: call centre staff, admin staff, IT workers, etc etc. Any strike action from these unions can cover lots of different roles. Though with Unite at least, strike action will usually be localised to affected offices or employers rather than being a nationwide thing.

By comparison, the WGA and Sag-Aftra are both pretty much single - role unions: you're in those unions because you're a writer or an actor. Any ballots taken would have been for writers or actors to respond, not the grips, camera crews, or some team.

At the end of the day, if you're actively making a choice to ignore a ballot from your union, not go to the picket line with your colleagues in your profession, and instead going to work to directly undermine their efforts, you're a scab.

If you're sympathetic to the cause but work in a separate field, were never balloted and aren't a member of the affected union (or don't work in an area covered by that union), then you're not a scab for still going to get your paycheck. That being said, solidarity among workers is crucial to the labour movement, so your solidarity is always appreciated.

There's a reason the WGA strike was a catalyst in getting the WGA to also go on strike.

Bill Maher is an absolute cock and for the love of somebody, pay the people who make your shit happen a descent wage (and treat them like human beings to boot)

Honestly not sad at all about the strike, i just hope it keeps on going forever tbh especially since their movies suck alot these days.
I too hope hundreds of thousands of people in all areas of production lose their jobs, have all media go to a standstill, and completely derail an entire industry, just because I don’t know how to find better movies

/s

Honestly not sad at all about the strike, i just hope it keeps on going forever tbh especially since their movies suck alot these days.
The AMPTP has entered the thread

Really hope this is wrapped up this week, or soon. It’s legitimately a bit sad how little writing is valued today. Get these people back to work for a solid wage! (And save me from having nothing but reality shows to watch…PLEASE)

The AMPTP has entered the thread

Really hope this is wrapped up this week, or soon. It’s legitimately a bit sad how little writing is valued today. Get these people back to work for a solid wage! (And save me from having nothing but reality shows to watch…PLEASE)
I think there's been some kind of breakthrough but the AMPTP are still pulling some shit, with "sources" talking to CNBC etc... saying things like "if a deal isn't reached tmrw then they will not make a deal til 2024" etc... to frame the WGA potentially refusing a bad deal as greedy.

I just finished up Crazy Ex Girlfriend and Russian Doll, so like

YEAH

Good writing is so damn critical.
Great examples of thoughtful, superlative writing! Honestly even for a show that’s not that good…you’re not getting anywhere without a script! I don’t understand how it can’t be seen as the most crucial part of the process.

Let’s see someone pull something like THIS off without a script:

Great examples of thoughtful, superlative writing! Honestly even for a show that’s not that good…you’re not getting anywhere without a script! I don’t understand how it can’t be seen as the most crucial part of the process.

Let’s see someone pull something like THIS off without a script:

omg the vision that took to pull off :ROFLMAO:

That's quite the subheading. Thursday or 2024.
AMPTP backchanneling to the press as per usual through their crisis PR firm, it's possible there's a deal in the doing, it's also possible they're making another bad offer (only their second in 100+ days) and are attempting to divide the union by setting up the groundwork of them being the responsible adults in the room saying its a historic deal etc... and the WGA are being greedy and "unreasonable" if they turn down their "generous offer"

Negotiations continued into the night at the Sherman Oaks Galleria - CEOs Iger, Zaslav, Langley, and Sarandos in the room negotiating - no deal reached yet but open to returning to the table but no scheduled talks yet

AMPTP backchanneling to the press as per usual through their crisis PR firm, it's possible there's a deal in the doing, it's also possible they're making another bad offer (only their second in 100+ days) and are attempting to divide the union by setting up the groundwork of them being the responsible adults in the room saying its a historic deal etc... and the WGA are being greedy and "unreasonable" if they turn down their "generous offer"
Not going to work on this unified a front. But it seems the AMPTP is already seeding conflict stories like workers being told to go to the picket lines tomorrow despite a deal being imminent

Not going to work on this unified a front. But it seems the AMPTP is already seeding conflict stories like workers being told to go to the picket lines tomorrow despite a deal being imminent
the writers are being asked to turn out on the picket lines in big numbers as a show of solidarity and support tomorrow/today (time zone) as they seem to be entering the final negotiations, but a deal of some kind is potentially imminent from reports (but that is only coming from AMPTP mouthpieces in the trades), but the fact they went late last night and are continuing today suggests they're getting close
F6ms5D-XYAA6N8Q

Last edited:
I find it pretty funny that the article says they're hoping negotiations are done by tomorrow night for Yom Kippur

Frodo saying it's over, it's done...'s over, it's done...

Phew. Glad they figured it out. I'm curious what the specifics were decided for the hot button issues.
Conformation vote and then it's on to the actors
As far as I understand from what I'm reading, they're at the point that Return of the King is at during this screenshot, meaning there's still a lot of time left and loose ends to tie up and at any given point someone may declare "too many endings!" and leave the theater to go get their car warmed up before it's all said and done. (nobody will get this unless they've watched the bonus materials on the Extended Editions and I'm okay with that)

Now I'm just hoping a deal with SAG isn't too far behind. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom