• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

TV Hollywood writers and studios reach deadline without agreement; writers strike imminent (UPDATE: writers and actors both reach agreements)

Mekanos

おっす!
Pronouns
he/they

“The AMPTP presented a comprehensive package proposal to the Guild last night which included generous increases in compensation for writers as well as improvements in streaming residuals. The AMPTP also indicated to the WGA that it is prepared to improve that offer, but was unwilling to do so because of the magnitude of other proposals still on the table that the Guild continues to insist upon. The primary sticking points are “mandatory staffing,” and “duration of employment” — Guild proposals that would require a company to staff a show with a certain number of writers for a specified period of time, whether needed or not,” it added.

“The AMPTP member companies remain united in their desire to reach a deal that is mutually beneficial to writers and the health and longevity of the industry, and to avoid hardship to the thousands of employees who depend upon the industry for their livelihoods. The AMPTP is willing to engage in discussions with the WGA in an effort to break this logjam,” it said.

This would be the first writers' strike in 15 years. The last one had a pretty big impact on TV and film at the time, but hopefully the writers have their demands met as in the age of streaming too often are they neglected and seen as disposable by studios.

Last edited:
Last writers strike got us a bunch of TPIR Million Dollar Spectaculars, so, hey, get paid, writers!

Streaming was already putting stress on the industry. The growth of A.I is going to turn the whole damn thing upside-down

344332971_1000073368036083_3117358865119826130_n.jpg
344253671_577385367708753_7127187114155108235_n.jpg

Some of the standout points:
  • Streamers rejected a proposal for viewership based residuals to reward high rating programs and refused transparency regarding viewership of programs
  • Refused to pay Pension & Health contributions to each member of a writing team (a team "shares"/splits in half the contribution the studio would make for one writer)
  • Refused to regulate use of artificial intelligence on projects including use of AI to write/rewrite library material, using AI as source material, and using writer's work to train AI. Countered by offering an "annual meeting to discuss advancements in technology".

Studios make tens of billions in profits and have offered a meagre $86M to the writers who create the content that make them rich while refusing to negotiate on most issues that affect the viability of writing as a longterm career as the studios seek to devalue the work that makes their megaprofits.

Last edited:
The only highlight of the previous strike was Conan O'Brien, and he's not around on TV anymore to put up a semblance of entertainment. Good luck writers. Hope we aren't sitting in mediocre entertainment for too long this time around.

What's stopping studios to hire writers from outside of america while to strike is ongoing?
as an update to answer this question, nothing BUT, local writers guilds (Canada, Australia, UK etc...) have put their weight behind the WGA and are telling their writers not to work in the US jurisdiction during the strike and the Writer's Guild of America have the ability to blacklist writers who break the strike (scab) and once the strike is over, they will be unable to work on union productions in the US (i.e: basically all major streaming/studio projects) - so yeah they will not be able to fill their coffers from overseas most likely.

AI doesn't just spontaneously do anything. It needs instructions. Anyone giving instructions to have AI write (presumably very bad) scripts is a scab

How can they afford their 4th yacht if the do that?
Probably would still be able to honestly, that's the crazy thing.
Just pure disdain for working class. Can't let them have some decent Hollywood money !

Honestly never understood why Hollywood treats its writers like that given how the Hollywoodian films work around scripts THAT much. Like, the whole US/Russian film theory split was "script is the most important part of a film" for the american cinema vs "no, editing is the most important" for russian cinema.

Anyway, yeah it's a pretty pivotal moment for American cinema and TV, with all the talk about that AI horse shit. Last strike defined the whole American TV landscape for the 2010s. It's a big moment right now once again. It'll define how and what we consume in terms of american audiovisual entertainment.

Just like WGA, SAG overwhelmingly voted to authorize a strike with over 97% in favor. They have until June 30th to reach a deal.

I just keep thinking about that guy who wrote an Emmy-nominated episode of The Bear. People in his life assumed he had made it after selling a script like that. He went to the Emmys with a negative bank account! His friends & family bought him a suit. For a show that made a bunch of people that had nothing to do with creating the show a bunch of money, that is fucking sickening.

Good on SAG for joining in on this. If you’re not a well known actor, the conditions can be prettttyyyy, pretty bad; check out the story about extras in HBO’s Euphoria that were denied meal breaks and going to the bathroom, among other things.

In case everyone isn't aware yet, SAG-AFTRA is officially joining the strike.

fuck em up, Nanny Fine ❤️

Actors are already walking:

And for good measure, I ❤️ Alex Hirsch

That Bob Iger quote is possibly the most "let them eat cake"-style thing I've ever seen someone utter. It makes me genuinely angry.

Also, Alex Hirsch is a treasure, watch Gravity Falls (also Inside Job). (but pirate it because fuck Netflix and Disney)

That Bob Iger quote is possibly the most "let them eat cake"-style thing I've ever seen someone utter. It makes me genuinely angry.

Also, Alex Hirsch is a treasure, watch Gravity Falls (also Inside Job). (but pirate it because fuck Netflix and Disney)
What sucks is he's reportedly better than the guy who was in charge just a little bit ago. 😑

The thing is, I don't think even the studio executives themselves believe that replacing their writers, actors etc. with A.I. is the most practical or logical way to make better movies and shows going forward.

But what it does do is create an existential crisis for writers and actors so that they, during these negotiations will likely have to spend significant political capitol arguing against so that their actual pay, rights and compensation takes a backseat.

Personally, I think the writers and actors shouldn't get distracted. Make sure the money is at the front of the conversation. Don't let a technological advancement that fell into the executives lap be used as a cudgel so successfully against you.

The thing is, I don't think even the studio executives themselves believe that replacing their writers, actors etc. with A.I. is the most practical or logical way to make better movies and shows going forward.

But what it does do is create an existential crisis for writers and actors so that they, during these negotiations will likely have to spend significant political capitol arguing against so that their actual pay, rights and compensation takes a backseat.

Personally, I think the writers and actors shouldn't get distracted. Make sure the money is at the front of the conversation. Don't let a technological advancement that fell into the executives lap be used as a cudgel so successfully against you.
Yeah when friends of mine have talked about it they've been saying the strikes are over AI. I went over years of changes done in writing rooms and in royalties, not to mention the bullshit WB pulled with HBO Max this year, and they were like "wait what??"

So I think you might be right. AI is grabbing the headlines, and the shit treatment and years of dwindling pay fall by the wayside.

You can work on awards shows but many actors have already said they are stopping promotion/involvement in the Emmys 🤣

You don’t want to come across as being what is referred to as a ‘scab’, which is someone who works during a strike. It’s a really, really bad look professionally.

Clearly the trees were affecting the power lines.
What's that? You say there are no power lines in that area?

Back
Top Bottom