• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic GoldenEye 007 |ST| No Oddjob, Slappers Only, License To Kill

Oscillator

Moblin
(newly tweaked repost of my old Resetera OT - screenshots are emulated)

ge_logo7jr2p.jpg

Platform --- Nintendo 64
Format --- 96 megabit (12 megabyte) cartridge
Original release dates --- Aug. 23rd, 1997 (Japan) / Aug. 25th, 1997 (North America) / Nov. 6th, 1997 (Europe) [Source: NinDB]

Nintendo Switch Online - Expansion Pass & Xbox One/Xbox Series release date --- January 27th, 2023 (Worldwide except Japan) | 2023 (Japan)

Initially in development for the SNES, then on the Nintendo 64 as an on-rails shooter, GoldenEye 007, in its final form as a free-moving first-person shooter, was a revelation. At the time, FPSes on consoles had seen muted success compared to their juggernaut PC brethren such as Doom and Quake. But not only did GE prove the genre could work beautifully with a controller, it showed it could provide more than just mindless blasting and rudimentary puzzles.

ge_taser9dowc.jpg

Fully-realized worlds that felt like you were in a movie. Objective lists that grew as you increased the difficulty. Mission-critical NPCs that needed to be protected. Cameras and alarms that had to be destroyed lest they summon a swarm of guards to your position. Varying reactions and amounts of damage depending on what part of an enemy you hit. And oodles of wild cheats unlockable by beating mission target times.

ge_cheatskbqgx.jpg

But as engaging and immersive as the missions were, the multiplayer was the real hit, and the reason GE became a system seller for the Nintendo 64. Added late in development by Steve Ellis, the four-player splitscreen utilized compact, easy-to-learn maps, quick movement, a huge roster of characters including classic Bond villains and Rareware staff members, addictive weapons like the Proximity Mines and Golden Gun, and a variety of gametypes in the event players needed a break from standard deathmatch. Moments like the Facility, Slappers Only, cheating with Oddjob, and tense duels in the cramped Archives have become engrained in the gamer consciousness.

ge_multivqqrs.jpg

gemultimapsxadja.gif

The GE community continues to celebrate and dig into the game. Speedrunners have acheived insane feats such as beating every mission on max stats, and hackers have discovered things like a hidden test stage, a hidden ZX Spectrum emulator, and button codes to quickly unlock missions, cheats, and a hidden "Line Mode" effect. Most impressively, using the GoldenEye Setup Editor tool, modders have created a plethora of new maps and missions for the game!

And now, after over 25 years of waiting, GoldenEye has FINALLY gotten it's very first official ports!

Weapons

gegunskrfzg.png

Bonus screenshots

art-goldeneye-bond-ar6mi2h.jpg

More promotional renders at raregamer.co.uk (click "Images")

Resources

GE speedrunning records at the-elite.net
GoldenEyeForever.com (featuring the Shooters Forever forums)
GoldenEye X (the Perfect Dark engine port project)
Goldeneye Vault, your source for GE mods of all shapes and sizes. (archived; now part of N64 Vault)
GoldenEye: Decoded (excellent archive of development and promotional materials)
GE 20th anniversary panel
Retro Gamer team interview
Interview with GE's director, Martin Hollis (not to be confused with the director of the movie, Martin Campbell)
GE postmortem with Martin Hollis
A talk by GE dev team member David Doak
Player's Choice commercial
Japanese GoldenEye commercial
Pierce Brosnan plays GE multiplayer with Jimmy Fallon
21st anniversary article with studio photos and design documents
A zany yet informative (and woefully unfinished!) Let's Play by Evil Tim
Cancelled Xbox 360 port (original leak -- playthrough video)

The soundtrack (composed by Graeme Norgate, Grant Kirkhope, and Robin Beanland)

New for the 25th anniversary :

GoldenEye DevTalk - Creating the Nintendo 64 Classic (Q&A)
25 Years of Goldeneye 007: Meet The Developers
39 facts you (probably) didn't know about the FPS classic

Last edited:
I literally haven't played this since i was a kid, and never actually owned it, just played off my friend's copies in multiplayer.

Mildly hype.

Wonderful ST, and hopefully a place where we can organize tournaments later for anyone down for some Slappers Only shenanigans haha

I wish it had random multiplayer. Then it would be huge. But having to get with friends is a lot harder as an adult, whether online or in person (especially when you are a 13 hour time difference from your home country...).

I literally haven't played this since i was a kid, and never actually owned it, just played off my friend's copies in multiplayer.

Mildly hype.
Same except I wasn’t a kid lol. I remember the 1st time playing the game with these two other dudes that brought it to my apartment. I don’t think I even knew them very well but we stayed up all night playing multiplayer. On top of all that, I didn’t have my glasses at the time so I couldn’t even make out what was going on on the screen 😅

Unfortunately the game still gives me the head hurty even in widescreen. Oh well.

N64 games designed for the controller felt great tbh. Problem with the app is that controls aren’t mapped well to a more modern layout. I’ve got the Switch N64 controller so don’t have to put up with it if I play on the TV.

That's the reason I want the Switch N64 controller specifically, when I skipped the NES and SNES ones. But as usual, Nintendo made 3 of them and never restocked.

Just played my first game in many years. My brain is completely reprogrammed now for modern FPS controls. It was a struggle. To think there was a time playing Timesplitters on PS2 where I had to change to Goldeneye controls to feel comfortable.

On a system level. Not on a per game bases like the Wii U was my understanding.

On a system level, yeah, but you can have different profiles for different games and swap them around. WiiU did have game per game mappings... for VC games only, basically; nothing system wide. Switch in a sense is a lot more flexible and useful, even if in specific circumstances like N64 VC it feels like a downgrade.

If it feels like I'm being pedantic, I'm sorry; a pet peeve of mine is people going "Oh <this thing> doesn't have <this feature>" when the feature actually exists, simply because they don't like how it's implemented. All that really does is slowly contribute to general misinformation.

Imagine someone that actually doesn't know anything about how remapping buttons works on Switch walks in and reads your post. They'd genuinely believe there's no option at all.

On a system level, yeah, but you can have different profiles for different games and swap them around. WiiU did have game per game mappings... for VC games only, basically; nothing system wide. Switch in a sense is a lot more flexible and useful, even if in specific circumstances like N64 VC it feels like a downgrade.

If it feels like I'm being pedantic, I'm sorry; a pet peeve of mine is people going "Oh <this thing> doesn't have <this feature>" when the feature actually exists, simply because they don't like how it's implemented. All that really does is slowly contribute to general misinformation.

Imagine someone that actually doesn't know anything about how remapping buttons works on Switch walks in and reads your post. They'd genuinely believe there's no option at all.

Extremely.

Does anyone remember how to access the cheat code menu?

It took me a little bit to figure out the widescreen settings until I went through the pause menu in single player, but I'm not seeing it anywhere

I didn't think twice about this game, or even downloading it, but then I saw that image of the weapons in the OP, and jesus christ, the nostalgia. I guess I never realized just how many hours me and my friends put into this. Those things are seared into my brain. I'll have to check it out.

Super OP, btw. Above and beyond for an N64 re-release.

God Nintendo please let us remap on the N64 emulator, it's the worst thing in the world for so many games and yet we're just expected to suffer through it. It's such a basic QoL feature, so of course it's never coming.

Does anyone remember how to access the cheat code menu?

It took me a little bit to figure out the widescreen settings until I went through the pause menu in single player, but I'm not seeing it anywhere

Main menu under Multiplayer. You have to unlock a cheat before it appears (Runway Agent is the easiest).

Xbox version has good controls. I appreciate that I didn't need to remap stuff.

I've been having a blast with it so far. Haven't tried the NSO version yet.

Last edited:
I came across a youtube video from Switchup analysing the performance of Goldeneye and right before it got to performance they showed a button remap that looks weird but might work.

I'll wait to play it until I'm back home and have access to my N64 controller, but it may be worth trying this out for portable mode.

All this wait for two shitty roms.
Well at least the xbox version has direct controller support i guess. The release of this game and the cancellation of the remake baffles me. If Nintendo was behind the cancellation of the remake to prevent an n64 exclusive game to appear on another competitor console why is this on both consoles now? Doesnt seem like Nintendo as say at all. Really confusing....

The Xbox version... is missing the fog!!! We've come full circle on poor N64 emulation lmao. Also seems to be missing certain textures?

EDIT: Luigiblood mentioned that the lack of fog on Dam is actually more accurate to og hardware. I'm trying to find high quality footage of dam on original hardware to check myself but I feel like it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
Based Klobb.

Controls took an adjustment but…I think I am there? I just want to experience all of the OST and other amazing audio work without too much friction.

Played four or five missions last night on Xbox. Fun! The controls feel pretty nice. I didn’t really notice the fog, although I can think of some later maps that would look totally different without! Not too big a deal for me; I’ll probably rampage through the campaign and call it there

The Xbox version... is missing the fog!!! We've come full circle on poor N64 emulation lmao. Also seems to be missing certain textures?

EDIT: Luigiblood mentioned that the lack of fog on Dam is actually more accurate to og hardware. I'm trying to find high quality footage of dam on original hardware to check myself but I feel like it's hard to tell.

That’s surprising because the fog looks very intentional and adds some depth to the image.

Something I didn't notice at first because I was thinking Game Pass: the Xbox version of this is also now a part of Rare Replay. So if you own that, you own this!

This feels a lot better on XBOX. Think it might be 60 FPS, and it has twin stick controls without having to remap stuff
It isn't lol. Switch seems to be at 60fps during the intro and menu (wish I had something to measure it), but both games run at 30fps in-game. Only thing missing from the XB version is you can't seem to sidestep. Playing with the N64 controller controls as it should.

Did the same developer converted both versions ? I've seen on Twitter that they didn't touch the ROM code which is false? How did Ms added the new controller settings then?

Did the same developer converted both versions ? I've seen on Twitter that they didn't touch the ROM code which is false? How did Ms added the new controller settings then?
Because is part of the emulator on Rare replay. The same happens with all the rare replay emulated games

Back
Top Bottom