• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Karl Jobst: TheCompletionist's charity kept all the money

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just popped up on my feed and I just finished watching it. I have to say I’m shocked. And it makes me pretty angry that they’ve been essentially scamming people for so long.

I don't know if it's fair to say he's been pocketing the money. The money seems to just be sitting there, not leaving the org. Obviously it's bad but it's not like he's just been taking the money and spending it on himself, it's just sitting there not being used like his promises.

I have no words. I really, really loved their content. I still can believe it.

And, sorry, but no. Raising money by promising to use it and then not doing so is actually pocketing that money. Some time can go, that for sure, but... a decade? Like a whole decade in which you still didn't do a thing and still ask for more money? And, also, I do not know how the US system works, and, please, someone correct me, but... doesn't the board of a charity, as happens in business, have to actually approve their balance account before presenting it to the IRS? With that I mean: being the president, is it even possible to submit your fillings and not taking a look at it?

Again, I don't now know how the US system works, but I can say that, at least in my country, this is (1) a bullshit answer from Jirard impossible to be true because of the obligation of the board to approve their balance and fillings, and thus (2) fraud, absolute fraud.

Last edited:
Karl Jobst is, from what I found searching for him, a Goldeneye & Perfect Dark`` Speedrunner (like Graslu) & investigative journalist ? That's impressive.

Too bad I blocked his videos from appearing in my recommandations because of the clickbaity CAPSLOCK FURY thumbnails "HE IS AFRAID" or "is BILLY going to PRISON ?!" or "SO MANY LIES !!!!!!!", all about Billy Mitchell. I get it, he covered him for a long time but damn, that made me block his channel because I thought that was one of the kind of person who make money over drama and do everything in their power to make it last as much as possible.

You don't need this to sell your work, especially if you're a flippin Investigative Journalist. It's like if I had to write "WHAT'S INSIDE THIS BOOK MIGHT SURPRISE YOU !" in Verdana 96pt bold on the cover of my book to sell it.

Anyway, time to watch this, I guess.

What The Completionist about to be when they ask for the money back:

FvRl7ONWIAICOOo

This looks bad. Now, I do want to wait until more comes out before I fully form my opinion, because more definitely will come out, and I've seen some witch hunts go wrong after the story comes out like the Bayonetta VA ordeal last year, but yeah, this isn't great at the moment.

I don't know if it's fair to say he's been pocketing the money. The money seems to just be sitting there, not leaving the org. Obviously it's bad but it's not like he's just been taking the money and spending it on himself, it's just sitting there not being used like his promises.
As someone pointed out in the comments they could have been doing something like using it as collateral for loans they otherwise couldn’t receive. There’s things you can do with money without having to spend it.

there needs to be a more through investigation as to why they just left a full bank account there because I don’t really buy that they just haven’t found anyone yet or that he didn’t know it hadn’t been donated to anyone yet.

Or if he didn’t know, he should have stopped doing the streams and figured it out before continuing to raise money when he did.

also, inflation. Peoples donations from like 10 years ago are significantly less valuable now that it just has been sitting there. There’s a whole lot of issues even in the best case scenario, least nefarious explanation.

This isn't a good look, but will wait until they say more on their half (basically Jirard). Hope this has the good outcome and they actually donate the amount they've sat on finally and show proof.

That call was something else.

Nobody told him the money wasn't being donated until 2022, he didn't care about how the money was being used despite being in a director role and even after knowing the scam, he continued asking for more money and telling others it was being donated to charities.

I mean, you can wait for whatever explanation you want by him, but that is enough for me.

Edit: Even if they donate it now, that would be a reactive act and it would mean that these organizations that were destined to receive it, weren't able to use thess funds for 10 years. A whole decade without the help they needed to study, investigate and support people affected by dementia. Fuck off man.

Last edited:

Nobody told him the money wasn't being donated until 2022, he didn't care about how the money was being used despite being in a director role and even after knowing the scam, he continued asking for more money and telling others it was being donated to charities.

I mean, you can wait for whatever explanation you want by him, but that is enough for me.
Just watched the video and... wow.

"This is getting some wind and that guy who investigate on people is asking me some questions. Let's pretend I didn't know about how the money was used and keep asking for money next year. How could this go wrong ?!"

The money still being there is sourced from them doing a self reported filing.
Right now, without someone like the IRS or a third party coming in to audit them, there's no way to tell if the money is actually still there as they claim.

Depending on that, this is either going to be a Big oof, or a BIIIIG OOOF

If that call did happen recently, Jirard had to have known this was coming. There's no way he hasn't been working on some kind of countermeasure/plan, even if it is a quick and dirty dump of the funds into a charity so he can say "look, we already donated it all before any of these videos even came out!".

lol... hey, can I borrow some money?

Edit: Even if they donate it now, that would be a reactive act and it would mean that these organizations that were destined to receive it, weren't able to use thess funds for 10 years. A whole decade without the help they needed to study, investigate and support people affected by dementia. Fuck off man.
It sounds like he was trusting the rest of his family to handle the matter and then in 2022 found out that his family did jack-shit.

Best thing Jirard can do is donate whats in there ASAP to the named organizations and then set it up for future events so that it's automatically going to one organization immediately. He says he has evidence that they tried to set up to donate to the mentioned organizations, but it's still a major fuck up to not first make sure the financial aspect is all ready and set up before doing the events.

It sounds like he was trusting the rest of his family to handle the matter and then in 2022 found out that his family did jack-shit.

Best thing Jirard can do is donate whats in there ASAP to the named organizations and then set it up for future events so that it's automatically going to one organization immediately. He says he has evidence that they tried to set up to donate to the mentioned organizations, but it's still a major fuck up to not first make sure the financial aspect is all ready and set up before doing the events.

He did shit in fact. He continued asking for more money and claiming they were donating it even knowing that was false.

Haven't had time to watch but this really bums me out. I just got to his cameo in Sea of Stars and was stoked to see him.

Watched the video...

At best, Jirard horribly managed the whole operation. At worst, he acted out of malicious intent.

It looks bad, but i believe Jirard has the benefit of the doubt so lets' see how this progresses. Super disappointing if actually some kind of mismanagement or fraud was going on.

haven't watched it yet but....all of it? that's crazy how did it take 10 years for people to notice?
That's one thing I am curious to know is how this discrepancy was discovered. I have to assume something prompted Karl and/or Mutahar to look into this. Tip from an event organizer?

We should wait til all the facts come out, but damn, thats one way to not only end your very lucrative youtube career, but also get in legal trouble I believe. Hope it’s a Misunderstanding obviously.

Karl Jobst is, from what I found searching for him, a Goldeneye & Perfect Dark`` Speedrunner (like Graslu) & investigative journalist ? That's impressive.

Too bad I blocked his videos from appearing in my recommandations because of the clickbaity CAPSLOCK FURY thumbnails "HE IS AFRAID" or "is BILLY going to PRISON ?!" or "SO MANY LIES !!!!!!!", all about Billy Mitchell. I get it, he covered him for a long time but damn, that made me block his channel because I thought that was one of the kind of person who make money over drama and do everything in their power to make it last as much as possible.

You don't need this to sell your work, especially if you're a flippin Investigative Journalist. It's like if I had to write "WHAT'S INSIDE THIS BOOK MIGHT SURPRISE YOU !" in Verdana 96pt bold on the cover of my book to sell it.

Anyway, time to watch this, I guess.
People are desperate for YouTube money, so sadly they sell themselves out to the algorithm

I've never been the type to jump to conclusion, i'm just gonna sit and wait for more but for now this is certainly not a good look.

Having watched both videos and listened to a lot of the discord call, I am now more in the camp this is likely a case of extreme negligence and laziness, but not self enrichment. Like, time value of money, especially for researching diseases currently affecting people, means idle money is wasted. They definitely fucked up. But, to me this is a case of not attributing to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

I've never been the type to jump to conclusion, i'm just gonna sit and wait for more but for now this is certainly not a good look.

So the fact that the public tax filings show the proof and the fact that he admitted to it on the phone call is not enough?

Having watched both videos and listened to a lot of the discord call, I am now more in the camp this is likely a case of extreme negligence and laziness, but not self enrichment. Like, time value of money, especially for researching diseases currently affecting people, means idle money is wasted. They definitely fucked up. But, to me this is a case of not attributing to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

Remember that these are IRS reports, not bank account statements. You can report anything you want to the IRS, meaning, they can SAY the 600k are in a bank account but that doesn't mean it is really there or that it hasn't been moved around and put back in, or that it hasn't been used as collateral to get bank loans.

It's very suspicious that after he "found out" in 2021 that the money wasn't donated, that he STILL hasn't donated it to this day. That screams to me that the money is just not there anymore.

Remember that these are IRS reports, not bank account statements. You can report anything you want to the IRS, meaning, they can SAY the 600k are in a bank account but that doesn't mean it is really there or that it hasn't been moved around and put back in, or that it hasn't been used as collateral to get bank loans.
This is true, but that’s a leap I’m not willing to commit to until more information comes out.

Good lord, this is totally messed up.

This is why I don’t donate to charities.
This guy is just a middle man, not the charity itself. It's like when you're at the grocery store and they ask you to round up to the dollar to donate to a charity. The solution would be to donate directly to the charity itself.

welp

When I search for "The Completionist" now the two videos above come up before any of Jirard's own stuff

so I imagine there'll be some big response pretty damn soon

Despite trying to rationalize a potential less heinous reasoning, I’ll admit regardless, I am getting angry. Dementia is horrendous, my grandparents have it, my grandma is basically in a non responsive state and barely able to eat, and we’re expecting her to not last much longer. My Grandpa is still conversational and has his charm, but he’ll need reminding who I even am in mid conversation. I’m honestly more afraid of aging into that than I am dying young, and I wonder if I’ll have to see my parents go through it, my siblings, and myself.

Like, what could the money have done if invested earlier? Gotten a head start on saving someone I know? How long will the breakthrough take, and how much money will it take? How much could those hundreds of thousands have helped if donated earlier.

Nothing about this is good. It will be great if that money does make it to the cause it’s for, but that needs to happen now. That’s more important than anything else to me.

So the fact that the public tax filings show the proof and the fact that he admitted to it on the phone call is not enough?

It's very suspicious that after he "found out" in 2021 that the money wasn't donated, that he STILL hasn't donated it to this day. That screams to me that the money is just not there anymore.

Like some other have said.
This is true but that gonna be IRS job to determine whether the money is actually there, or has been moving around or not.

You just can’t saying that without evidence to back it up, otherwise it’s just defamation, slander. Especially in the title of a thread which a lot of people might just take it for what it is and not actually watch the video.

Good lord, this is totally messed up.

This guy is just a middle man, not the charity itself. It's like when you're at the grocery store and they ask you to round up to the dollar to donate to a charity. The solution would be to donate directly to the charity itself.

The charity was founded by him and his family (father and brother) in honor of his late mother. He is one of the board’s directors.

So his reason for just found out about it last year is weak af. Especially when he still saying the same thing this year to get people to donate.

We should wait til all the facts come out, but damn, thats one way to not only end your very lucrative youtube career, but also get in legal trouble I believe. Hope it’s a Misunderstanding obviously.
Unfortunately even best case scenario is that Jirard outright lied during the 2023 stream when he, after knowing about the fact that the money still went nowhere, kept making the same claims with regards to the charity and where the money is going. If he's telling the truth about the money still being there, he can give it to all the charities ASAP and that will likely be enough to provide reasonable doubt when it comes to mens rea (intent to commit crime), but it still looks bad enough even from just a mismanagement perspective that the foundation needs to be shut down immediately afterward and Jirard needs to just pick a single organization to have the funds go directly to like what Games Done Quick does.

Enough for what?
To understand that over 600k from donations is chilling in a bank account? Sure, but at this point let's not lean too much into the realm of diffamation.

Jirard has the right (the duty even) to reply publicly, as soon as possible and in a convincing way because from what can be heard in this video there are definitely multiple gray areas which need clarity, to say the least.

Enough for what?
To understand that over 600k from donations is chilling in a bank account? Sure, but at this point let's not lean too much into the realm of diffamation.

Jirard has the right (the duty even) to reply publicly, as soon as possible and in a convincing way because from what can be heard in this video there are definitely multiple gray areas which need clarity, to say the least.

To understand that he blatantly lied about not touching the money himself, and lied about the money going to charities he specifically named on several occasions.

If you're the public face of a charity you founded, it would be in your best interest to know without a doubt the money is going where you say it is in every pitch you make.

He's not a clueless spokesman. He established the charity with his family.

Yikes, Jirard was terrible here. I usually donate to charities via GDQ/Bundles and such, but I have donated via charity streams before (not his thankfully, otherwise I'd be livid) and I cannot fathom why you wouldn't at the very god damn least follow up on what the charity donations was used for after you finished your yearly drive and sent it off. As the spokesperson for the organization if anything, it seems as if he's grossly mismanaging it or just using it to boast "I raised $$$ money!" without actually sending it in so he can keep claiming high numbers or worry about the logistics of actually sending it anywhere.

Yet he has the audacity to still do lameass raid shadow legends sponsorships and plug his patreon for more money (albeit for personal, for the show purposes) on top of all of this. This makes me wonder if the eBeggar stereotype is true in this case for once lol

While the information in that video is important, Karl Jobst is a known friend of rwhitegoose, a nazi moron that has been banned from every speedrun event and has been in his discord agreeing that white people should be able to say the n word. He is a known shitbag as well.

This is why I don’t donate to charities.
The message here isn't "don't donate to charities", it's "donate directly to the charities yourself so you know the money is going to them, don't donate through a third party."

Sorry, but there's absolutely zero reason to give The Completionist a shred of benefit in this situation. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence against him, with literally no way for him to excuse what has happened, and if this was anyone other than a well liked celebrity/youtuber not one single person in this thread would be defending him. It's disgraceful what he's been doing.

The fact that they lied and continued to lie plus the absolutely ridiculous excuse of “we just haven’t found any suitable charities” truly paint a picture of wrongdoing.

At best you can say that Jirard is a cynical egomaniac that loves playing the good guy, pretending he is the director of charity, while truly giving no shit about what was going it with it. Only caring about how good having a charity stream made him look. What a freaking tool.

kinda blows my mind. he's always seemed like a really genuine earnest dude in all he's done. this is so counter to everything i know about the man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom