• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic GoldenEye 007 |ST| No Oddjob, Slappers Only, License To Kill

just opened mario 64, where do i see switch controllers?
You can see the switch buttons on the tutorials and everything that need the buttons, like Mario sunshine. Im speaking about the 3D All Stars emulator, not the NSO emulator

You can see this example, with the + Button of the joycons controllers
maxresdefault.jpg

You can see the switch buttons on the tutorials and everything that need the buttons, like Mario sunshine. Im speaking about the 3D All Stars emulator, not the NSO emulator

You can see this example, with the + Button of the joycons controllers
maxresdefault.jpg
Are you sure they didnt change source code on these games?

Yes, they didnt change anything.

Most of these kinds of releases, what they do is run an emulated copy, and when X asset is detected, there is some external code inside the emulator itself that changes it to Y. It's like when you use texture mods and controls in PC emulators , for example. All is on the emulator.

It's a matter of the Rare replay including an external interpreter that allows them to remap controls, while the NSO emulator has the ability to add online multiplayer to it. And all this without touching the rom.

I wish longingly for the Xbox's modern control options. None of the workarounds feel good on Switch. I just can't play this thing like this.

Man, Goldeneye is SO good! It's crazy that this game is more than 25 years old and still has better level and mission design than almost every FPS game released afterwards! (Sans pretty much just Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2/FP, ironically its own spiritual sequels!)

Man, I miss 90s Rareware... Their loss is the biggest tragedy the video game industry ever saw... and that's in a long line of industry tragedies...

i forgot how good the gunplay feels in this game, its so satisfying just blasting away with the pencil gun

So how does the emulator add the Xbox controller (image) to the game without changing the source code?
They probably have tools that inject custom code into whatever is running the game without altering the actual game.

Man, Goldeneye is SO good! It's crazy that this game is more than 25 years old and still has better level and mission design than almost every FPS game released afterwards! (Sans pretty much just Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2/FP, ironically its own spiritual sequels!)

It’s crazy how to this day no one has really bothered to adapt the “higher difficulty, more objectives” that Rare pioneered. The World is Not Enough imitated it and was a better game for it, but that was it. Most games it just ups the enemy AI and damage input and output, and that’s it.

Hey fam, as someone who's only ever played 4-player split screen golden gun on Goldeneye, is it still worth playing through the single player nowadays? And if I'm primarily going to focus on single player, I should just play on game pass right?

It’s crazy how to this day no one has really bothered to adapt the “higher difficulty, more objectives” that Rare pioneered. The World is Not Enough imitated it and was a better game for it, but that was it. Most games it just ups the enemy AI and damage input and output, and that’s it.

It's because it actually requires good game design and effort to do. It's so much easier to just up the damage numbers and call it a day, it's no wonder that most games just settle for that.

Hey fam, as someone who's only ever played 4-player split screen golden gun on Goldeneye, is it still worth playing through the single player nowadays? And if I'm primarily going to focus on single player, I should just play on game pass right?

Absolutely. The single player is great!

Absolutely. Playing on Xbox GP right now. While there's some unfortunate graphical glitches and blood spots on enemies aren't always consistent, I'm still having a good time with it. Hopefully they'll patch the Xbox version soon.

Played on agent just to get used to the controls and try to remember what the hell I'm doing. I did the work around and am doing mostly ok. The only hard part is free aim. Just too loose for me. But auto-aim helps a lot. Probably will play through the game this way but not feeling much need to do much more with controls the way they are. Level design is great and do like the objectives increasing with difficulty. Also fun to just mow through people.

I'll probably just stick with playing the remaster on Steam Deck over the Xbox or Switch versions, unless my buddies want to do multiplayer

It's a matter of the Rare replay including an external interpreter that allows them to remap controls
I'd been wanting to ask people's thoughts on why they think the Xbox team made changes (widescreen by default and dual stick controls) and NERD didn't (when they were obviously allowed to by all license holders, since the Xbox team did). My thought was just that NERD opted not to add dual stick controls because it was against the principle of how they'd approached all the other ROMs on NSO, and so they wanted to leave it untouched.

But is this the reason - that Rare Replay's emulator already has the infrastructure for on the fly changes like that?

I'd been wanting to ask people's thoughts on why they think the Xbox team made changes (widescreen by default and dual stick controls) and NERD didn't (when they were obviously allowed to by all license holders, since the Xbox team did). My thought was just that NERD opted not to add dual stick controls because it was against the principle of how they'd approached all the other ROMs on NSO, and so they wanted to leave it untouched.

But is this the reason - that Rare Replay's emulator already has the infrastructure for on the fly changes like that?
I just think that the purpose of NSO is to get the original experience. It was the same thing with the VC on Wii, Wii U or 3DS.

Not even a GoldenEye kid since I was born the year of the film's release (I did play it as a teenager but that was obviously after having played way more modern FPS and TPS games. I was playing COD4 around the same time as I was discovering GoldenEye lol), but that game still rocks.

The mission's design with the cool objectives to do, the crazy good gun feeling (those guns go HARD), the most of the time very cool level design...

Don't understand the "it has aged terribly" crowd on Twitter. I get it that not everyone can like it, but come on, beyond the controls, it's timeless. Still as good and fun as it was back then.

Not even a GoldenEye kid since I was born the year of the film's release (I did play it as a teenager but that was obviously after having played way more modern FPS and TPS games. I was playing COD4 around the same time as I was discovering GoldenEye lol), but that game still rocks.

The mission's design with the cool objectives to do, the crazy good gun feeling (those guns go HARD), the most of the time very cool level design...

Don't understand the "it has aged terribly" crowd on Twitter. I get it that not everyone can like it, but come on, beyond the controls, it's timeless. Still as good and fun as it was back then.
I agree. The more objectives on higher difficulty system is something I wish a lot more modern games have adopted.

I also enjoy dumb stuff like literally almost everything exploding if you shoot it. Apparently Russians put explosives in random chairs/ computers/ desks everything.

Also the handguns having the precision of sniper rifles.

I could go on.

• No online mode
  • Can't play portable (well, there is the cloud option on smartphone I guess?)
  • Not playable with the original controller
But it doesn't control like shit like the Switch version, so that makes it superior.

i plan on playing it 100% with the N64 controller. can’t have any issues with the controls that way!

Nerd usually try to bring a experience near to the original console and game-release

Random thought over the control debate:

The game is designed and balanced around those controls.

A more modern control scheme would make the game more playable, but also basically fuck with a lot of the intended experience.

The Xbox version... is missing the fog!!! We've come full circle on poor N64 emulation lmao. Also seems to be missing certain textures?

And PS1-style popping polygons:

polygonpopare41.gif

Xbox version developer Code Mystics claims 'This is how it was on N64, it's just more obvious now in HD.' But, I know for a fact that seams like these are caused by poor emulation. When I emulate Perfect Dark, obvious seams show up in places where they simply didn't exist on hardware.

As I said, I play with the N64 controller, which is for me the best way to play N64 games.
Which is fine, but that's a chronically unavailable accessory - and most people probably don't know how to change the button mappings on the system - so most people on Switch will just experience lame controls.

I can play it fine, I'm happy enough with it myself - but I think it's a shame they didn't do something more bespoke to make this ROM more playable for the bulk of their users.

Wow. Played with a couple friends online on Switch and it was fantastic. Make sure to set it to widescreen. We couldn’t believe how well it ran and how quickly we remembered what it was like playing 25 years ago.

They need to resupply those N64 controllers immediately.

Comparison of polygon gaps:

You can even try watching the N64 video at 0.25 speed...if Code Mystics did do a hardware comparison, then they could not tell the difference between low-res aliasing and polygons separating.

Or maybe they put a GoldenEye cart in a PlayStation?

Switch does have some visible seams, but they're hardly noticeable:

So playing through the first couple of campaign missions with the updated Solitaire controls, and I'd forgotten what an absolute banger the game is.

I'd assumed the gameplay would feel old and outdated, but it actually feels pretty fresh. Whereas the more recent FPS games I've played recently have all boiled down to the same template of snapping-to-iron-sights and squeezing off shots, Goldeneye totally nails the feeling of being in an action movie, running round shooting from the hip and nailing bad guys.

There's so many small touches you don't see in games now that elevate this sensation: all the enemy bullets are animated and brightly lit so you can see them whizzing past you. There's the different ricochet sounds so you can hear bullets pinging the walls and scenery. Enemy aiming starts off pretty loose, so you get the feeling of leading and dodging their shots as you run from one bit of cover to another.

And while the auto aim is certainly from a different era, there is just a wonderfully cathartic feeling about walking into a room, seeing three or four enemies turn around and pull guns on you, and blasting them all away shooting from the hip without needing to go iron sights or scoping in.

I dunno, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I am. I was expecting a fun diversion before diving back into Skyward Sword, but I keep wanting to play the next mission.

I was worried this game wouldnt hold up, but once my brain clicked with the default controls again I'm having a blast. This game is still so good.

And the soundtrack SLAPS!

Sheesh playing it again and I really have to get used to the controls. The game is still magic though. Shooting enemies feels really satisfying in this game.

The soundtrack is pure gold(eneye)

Regarding the music issue from the official trailer, it seems to be fine ingame?
Maybe that was recorded from an earlier emulator build, or is it only an issue on the Xbox version?

The soundtrack is pure gold(eneye)

Regarding the music issue from the official trailer, it seems to be fine ingame?
Maybe that was recorded from an earlier emulator build, or is it only an issue on the Xbox version?

They likely recorded the trailer before the issues were fixed.

We know the game was meant to release in 2022 but got delayed because of the Ukraine situation, so wouldn't surprise me if a lot of promo materials were made back then, and then the game got a couple extra months of work put into it due to the delay.

Yes, they didn't change the source code, it's really just hacks on top of the game running in real time using Lua scripts and embedded code in the emulator just for this.

And PS1-style popping polygons:

polygonpopare41.gif

Xbox version developer Code Mystics claims 'This is how it was on N64, it's just more obvious now in HD.' But, I know for a fact that seams like these are caused by poor emulation. When I emulate Perfect Dark, obvious seams show up in places where they simply didn't exist on hardware.
The fog is seemingly correct to me.
That said these seams are really poor emulation to me, and as much as the excuse of "that's how it was on N64" is certainly legitimate to an extent, I dunno if we can really talk about emulation accuracy the moment they upscale a game beyond the console's capabilities.

Enemy animations are really top notch in this game. Most shooters now don't have as many reactive hits or silly forward rolls as these guys had all the way back in the 90s.

I agree with most of his points, except for the one about the Nintendo controls are unplayable. Took a bit bit of getting used to playing on my lite, but after fairly short time the controls were second nature.

Having played the original a lot in my childhood, probably helps though.

There really needs to be some sort of official communication from Nintendo PR that you need to swap the sticks and triggers, then set the control method to Solitaire if you want updated controls

If you change the controls this way, the game really is very playable. It's no different to Timesplitters, which people seem ok with.

I wish longingly for the Xbox's modern control options. None of the workarounds feel good on Switch. I just can't play this thing like this.

do either this
Fnjb8jRXEAAaiKe

Fnjb8g-XoAEvk6Z

(or 1.2, iirc only the ACTION/FIRE buttons are swapped between those and I'm remapping FIRE to ZR anyway). that's dual analog for handheld/pro controller

or this where Jon explains how to do trick the pioneered dual-ANALOG setting to work with two sets of joy-con so you get analog instead of digital aim on the stick when flipped.

It's more depressing than anything. Really should be the standard approach for a lot of modern, popular games types. But it's easier to just crank the numbers on enemy HP and damage values

I just think that the purpose of NSO is to get the original experience. It was the same thing with the VC on Wii, Wii U or 3DS.
worth remembering back on Wii VC they updated Star Fox 64, I think, to make it run "worse" again because the emulator made it run smoother at the time. They are all over this "exact original experience" philosophy with retro titles.

worth remembering back on Wii VC they updated Star Fox 64, I think, to make it run "worse" again because the emulator made it run smoother at the time. They are all over this "exact original experience" philosophy with retro titles.

To be fair, that also was because the lack of frame drops made Aquas, the submarine stage, pretty much unplayable. It was designed and balanced around it running like shit.

Starfox 64 3D is mostly smooth all the time so they also artificially made Aquas run worse so people could play it, but that was a full remake.

Seems the Xbox version when you press the aim button the cross hair doesn't move but the whole screen, interesting

My least favorite thing about the game, is when you failed to pick up some arbitrary checklist item that was supposed to be dropped by one of the scientists. Thinking about the "silo" level on higher difficulties

Back
Top Bottom