• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I love translating so I will gladly help anytime I can! Also regarding machine translations: sometimes they can be quite accurate but other times they will simply misinterpret or even omit whole sentences. Always good to double check everything (as we have done in this thread so far!)
That's so true! I wonder why that is? I've seen that on some things that a LOT will be removed on, say, Google, but on Yandex or DeepL, there's like 2-3 more sentences! I mean, I'm all for tightening things up, but sometimes those extra sentences provide a lot of different information! I don't think I've seen that going between, say, Japanese into English. (I could be VERY wrong on that, but just going based on my memory!)

I am too. lol
It's a real treat! :ROFLMAO:

Oh, also @supmo, could you please let GraffitiMax know that everyone here on Famiboards thinks he's a celebrity and really appreciate him, haha! :ROFLMAO: Like, not even just this thread, but on this thread too, he is getting a lot of love, haha! :ROFLMAO: All the gamers around the world are having a blast together!

Hopefully everyone on the Chinese forums thinks everyone here is as crazy as we really are, haha! :ROFLMAO:

Currently waking up and I find a thousand new news, a Switch Oled Splatoon 3 and again important rumors of the Switch Pro, I am reading pages back but there is so much information that I cannot compact everything to understand the most important thing. I have only understood that there are two sources, that one could be from China and something of 60fps in MH Sunbreak, but nobody talks about power or performance, I find 60fps MH Sunbreak surprising, but I expected more, something like a Switch 4K with DLSS that enable PS4-like performance and even PS4 Pro with DLSS enabled.
Can someone summarize for me what is happening and what the data is please, thank you.

Yes, Nintendo advertised the switch lite. With much more than a YouTube trailer.
I think they meant that Nintendo did not explicitly advertise the Mariko Hybrid refresh in a trailer, unlike the Lite. Which makes sense, the v2 hybrid only had the battery improvement.

That's so true! I wonder why that is? I've seen that on some things that a LOT will be removed on, say, Google, but on Yandex or DeepL, there's like 2-3 more sentences! I mean, I'm all for tightening things up, but sometimes those extra sentences provide a lot of different information! I don't think I've seen that going between, say, Japanese into English. (I could be VERY wrong on that, but just going based on my memory!)
I don't know the reason for it either, but even DeepL has just omitted multiple sentences without accounting for them at all for me before lol It's weird, doing it in smaller chunks can help, but at that point it will be hard again if you have 0 knowledge of the language. But hey, good for me if the AI isn't quite as good as experts yet lol

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

It does in a sense, Pro is the evolution.
Sucessor is the paradigm shift.

The expectation that X game will work on the older switch is greater if it's a pro than if it's a sucessor.
the paradigm shift already happened. the days of games not moving forward is over. hell, consoles were the last systems to do this as PCs always did this, and then phones followed. Drake will be as much of a successor as the Iphone whatever we're on and putting a Ryzen 5xxx and Geforce 30x0 in your PC case

There's just too much smoke for me:
Bloomberg reports
Nate-various reports
Digital Foundry hints
Stockpile increase
now Chinese forums
Other people seemingly in the know (Toto, Doctre)

Splatoon OLED just fits Nintendo perfectly with them wanting to throw people off a little. This is not a new model. It's the OLED with a paint job.
I do think that something is coming in September or October. DLSS hardware to launch around BotW 2.

the Monster Hunter thing doesn't say anything about resolution either way only a frame-rate bump.

again if it is on the cards to drop this year, there's still a big unannounced holiday title lurking out there somwhere. perhaps that DK game or a new 3D Mario. won't be exclusive but it will be enhanced. was trying to explain this to some people yesterday but the chances of any first party exclusives for the first year maybe even two are pretty damn slim.

There's just too much smoke for me:
Bloomberg reports
Nate-various reports
Digital Foundry hints
Stockpile increase
now Chinese forums
Other people seemingly in the know (Toto, Doctre)

Splatoon OLED just fits Nintendo perfectly with them wanting to throw people off a little. This is not a new model. It's the OLED with a paint job.
I do think that something is coming in September or October. DLSS hardware to launch around BotW 2.

What DF hints and what Bloomberg reports? Recent reports or the stuff from last year?

But yes, I agree. There's a lot of smoke and it feels like we're gearing up for a reveal soon.

Currently waking up and I find a thousand new news, a Switch Oled Splatoon 3 and again important rumors of the Switch Pro, I am reading pages back but there is so much information that I cannot compact everything to understand the most important thing. I have only understood that there are two sources, that one could be from China and something of 60fps in MH Sunbreak, but nobody talks about power or performance, I find 60fps MH Sunbreak surprising, but I expected more, something like a Switch 4K with DLSS that enable PS4-like performance and even PS4 Pro with DLSS enabled.
Can someone summarize for me what is happening and what the data is please, thank you.
TL;DR: We don't know anything new about performance, the Splatoon OLED is maybe evidence for an imminent launch and maybe evidence against. Very little new has come up.

We have no more data about specs or performance. 60fps MH:Sunbreak tells us just about nothing about the ultimate power of the device - it isn't clear how much patching MH received or what resolution it runs at, or if it's docked or not - that's all assuming the leak is valid.

A Splatoon 3 branded OLED was announced. This has been rumored for a while, but the exact timing of the announcement was mentioned by a mod on a chinese forum who also mentioned the imminent Pro release, and who has had reliable info in the past. There have been some challenges in getting a reliable translation that provides proper context to filter speculation from insider knowledge. This is "Muncle."

"Funcle" is a separate user on a separate chinese forum, who seems to work in a factory that produces Switches. There are lots of reasons to believe that they are legit - but they are admittedly ignorant about Switch internals, and trying to not lose their job. They've at least once "leaked" something that was just their own misunderstanding. They've mentioned a pair of new backplates, one of which they seem to think is for a new device, and one of which is not (possibly the Splatoon 3 backplate, in fact).

There is an ongoing debate about how likely Nintendo is to launch a premium device after just announcing a customized OLED, and an ongoing conversation to try an make communication with the Chinese fan community more open and clear

the paradigm shift already happened. the days of games not moving forward is over. hell, consoles were the last systems to do this as PCs always did this, and then phones followed. Drake will be as much of a successor as the Iphone whatever we're on and putting a Ryzen 5xxx and Geforce 30x0 in your PC case
Technically iOS broke back compat moving from 32 to 64 bit. 😅

I know what are you saing but I think my point is not comming across the way I want. I'll leave as it is.

This is old info, but people doubting existence of developer tools/kits:

The core point is correct, but this isn't really accurate. Some files were definitely updated in 2022 since they have that date in the header, but just because a file doesn't have it, doesn't mean it wasn't updated. There are files that still have the dates as 2014-2016 from NVN1 development, but have provably been updated since work started on NVN2, ergo the developers don't always update the headers when they make changes. Not to mention some "core" files do still have the 2022 date.

Both DSi and New 3DS were the Pro versions of their respective platforms. Much stronger than previous iterations, both were posed to have exclusives but third party decided not to go that route. Only difference of Switch Pro is this time they will.
What nintendo did with all this extra power? Nothing! Playing on a regular 3ds was like on new 3ds. Same games same visual. New 3ds was just a rebranding for an unsuccessful product.

Not exactly. Drake has enough power to run current Switch games smoothly at 4K with a little headroom. Nothing spectacular. Remember, Xbox One X was a bigger jump from Xbox One than Xbox Series X was from Xbox One X. 4K is just expensive.

But you said in another post I'm quoting below, that the console could be closer to Series S than Xbox One and that with DLSS it could even be closer to PS5.
It's the opposite of what you are saying now, because a performance close to Series S and with DLSS close to PS5 is much more than just 4K
It's not just the current games at 4K, it would leave a lot of margin.

That would place it at approximately twice the power of Steam Deck, closer to Xbox Series S than Xbox One. Add DLSS, and while it would "only" be as powerful as a kneecapped next gen console, the image quality would be closer to PS5 than Xbox Series S.

Software is king! I hope whenever this thing launches wether revision or switch 2 its releases with a buttload of software. I’m not talking about first party software. I want the COD, I want big name stuff. There is no reason why Nintendo and Nvidia couldn’t have made the tools available for developers to take advantage of. Hopefully there is an excitement from the developers community about this thing. Being able to have modern Nintendo hardware and architecture to create on. If the software isn’t there then my purchase can wait.

What nintendo did with all this extra power? Nothing! Playing on a regular 3ds was like on new 3ds. Same games same visual. New 3ds was just a rebranding for an unsuccessful product.
Pro models were not for Nintendo, they were for third parties. On New 3DS, Nintendo crafted the console with Capcom's advice in mind, for next entries of Monster Hunter.

But what Nintendo expected didn't happen, power boost didn't bring back the third parties. 3DS was an unattractive system to third parties to begin with, a brand new system that addressed many problems failed to change it. On Switch it's quite a different story, Nintendo had been much more aggresive on third party front from the start. Currently the only thing between full third party support and Switch is the weak hardware and this Switch Pro model is a "third party solution" just like GBC, DSi and N3ds once were. But this will be another GBC story instead of New 3DS.

Pro models were not for Nintendo, they were for third parties. On New 3DS, Nintendo crafted the console with Capcom's advice in mind, for next entries of Monster Hunter.

But what Nintendo expected didn't happen, power boost didn't bring back the third parties. 3DS was an unattractive system to third parties to begin with, a brand new system that addressed many problems failed to change it. On Switch it's quite a different story, Nintendo had been much more aggresive on third party front from the start. Currently the only thing between full third party support and Switch is the weak hardware and this Switch Pro model is a "third party solution" just like GBC, DSi and N3ds once were. But this will be another GBC story instead of New 3DS.
The only thing stopping full 3rd party support is not weak hardware but 3rd parties themselves with business &/or ideological reasons.

It could be 4k DLSS at 60fps. Not detail on resolutions (or visual improvements like the PC version has) were given.

To sum up in all likelihood the new 4k Switch will arrive anytime between this September and March’23.

It could be 4k DLSS at 60fps. Not detail on resolutions (or visual improvements like the PC version has) were given.

To sum up in all likelihood the new 4k Switch will arrive anytime between this September and March’23.
Or it could be two modes, 4K30fps and less than 4K with 60fps. A Graphic mode and a performance mode

The core point is correct, but this isn't really accurate. Some files were definitely updated in 2022 since they have that date in the header, but just because a file doesn't have it, doesn't mean it wasn't updated. There are files that still have the dates as 2014-2016 from NVN1 development, but have provably been updated since work started on NVN2, ergo the developers don't always update the headers when they make changes. Not to mention some "core" files do still have the 2022 date.
Wasn’t that updated recently but right before the data breach (as in a few months).

What nintendo did with all this extra power? Nothing!
wrong.

The extra power allowed for the super stable 3D that was applicable to all games. It had a whole core dedicated just for this.

The extra bells on the DSi allowed the system to have all those extra features to the device that the DS lacked.

They were all QoL improvements to the hardware that software simply couldn’t do.

Imo, an 'older' model receiving a new variant that is not a limited one points rather towards a later launch for the successor.

I can see the Pro or whatever it is called launch around September 2023 at the earliest.

Indeed. Header files almost always define the APIs which should be stable at this point, so don't expect changes there. Developers mainly work with source files to implement code.

Quoted by: LiC
Indeed. Header files almost always define the APIs which should be stable at this point, so don't expect changes there. Developers mainly work with source files to implement code.
By header I mean the copyright header text (not header as in *.h file). Those headers are the only source of date information we have in the leak, and they were demonstrably not updated consistently when the source was changed. So we don't know which files were changed and simply didn't have their copyright years updated.

Point being, they were actively working on it in February 2022, even if we don't know which specific files happened to get changed in those two months. So I think the "core files weren't updated since 2021" thing is misleading.

Let's see if they still stay away from Switch when it has acceptable amount of power. They're always where money is, those "ideological reasons" mean little as always.
They could be making money on Switch right now. It’s one of the main reasons why internal Bandai studios do not support the Switch. Money means very little if the companies in question don’t care or want to support it.

Where would this thing be announced? Next week there are Xenoblade previews so i'm not sure.
I'm guessing towards the end of the year.

I still suspect a 2023 release to coincide with BoTW sequel and perhaps some other unannounced titles (Metroid Prime 4 reveal? New F-Zero?). If Next Level Games had a quick turn-around for Mario Strikers, I suspect they might be currently working on a new game already.

Let's see if they still stay away from Switch when it has acceptable amount of power. They're always where money is, those "ideological reasons" mean little as always.
Demon’s Slayer not being on Switch day 1 can only be justified as ‘ideological reasons’ (I prefer to just call it short-sighted business decisions or being stuck in ps2 era, dont think there is a real bias against Nintendo) when we are talking about millions of sales lost due to not being day 1 on Switch.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom