• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I know the boring answer is we won't fully know until it's revealed, but until then what specs would you expect to be required for a TV and audio system that accommodates Nintendo's next gen device? I want to upgrade but don't know what to look for.
Audio is unlikely to change from the Switch where it's just pure LPCM.

For video, 4k is likely to be the top resolution, but individual features are murky. HDR seems fairly likely. VRR is reasonably likely but not guaranteed. 120Hz is plausible, but probably pushing it a bit. If you get a TV that supports all of those, you're unlikely to miss out on anything, but may be over prepared.

Like you said, though, the real answer is to wait until more details are announced.

200.webp

Who's primed for new shipment data, likely to come in less than a week from now?

I am! Even though there might be nothing new in the data!
The next batch of shipping data might be the strangest thing I've ever been extremely excited about. Usually it's something like a long-awaited game or a trip I've been waiting to go on for months.

history, Nintendo always have a massive sucess followed by a flop,
This is a fair assessment. Keep in mind, though, that this won’t be a nee console with a new way to play. It’s an iterative upgrade. We haven’t seen any indication of a gimmick that the console will revolve around.

I don’t believe this will flop for that reason. Most times we see failures from Ninty it’s because they take risks and try to be different.

Audio is unlikely to change from the Switch where it's just pure LPCM.

For video, 4k is likely to be the top resolution, but individual features are murky. HDR seems fairly likely. VRR is reasonably likely but not guaranteed. 120Hz is plausible, but probably pushing it a bit. If you get a TV that supports all of those, you're unlikely to miss out on anything, but may be over prepared.

Like you said, though, the real answer is to wait until more details are announced.
Just what I wanted to know, thank you.

This is a fair assessment. Keep in mind, though, that this won’t be a nee console with a new way to play. It’s an iterative upgrade. We haven’t seen any indication of a gimmick that the console will revolve around.

I don’t believe this will flop for that reason. Most times we see failures from Ninty it’s because they take risks and try to be different.
It's irresponsible to attribute the failure of the wiiu to a gimmick, as it would obscure the fact that the truth of the wiiu's failure was the lack of first-party games, at a time when Nintendo diverted a lot of manpower away from making games for the 3DS, and the wiiu's development in HD was very slow as a result.

It's irresponsible to attribute the failure of the wiiu to a gimmick, as it would obscure the fact that the truth of the wiiu's failure was the lack of first-party games, at a time when Nintendo diverted a lot of manpower away from making games for the 3DS, and the wiiu's development in HD was very slow as a result.
I think it was also the titles weren't really hyped. Mario 3D world was pretty much a handheld experience on TV. New super mario bros U was when that series was getting stale.

I think it was also the titles weren't really hyped. Mario 3D world was pretty much a handheld experience on TV. New super mario bros U was when that series was getting stale.
Satoru Iwata underestimated the costs involved in developing in HD, and the wiiu generation basically invalidated Nintendo's traditional console/portable dichotomy.

Which instances are these? The one that obviously stands out is Wii -> Wii U, but what else? Is NES considered a massive success while SNES is a flop, even though it was 61.9m vs 49.1m? Are there any other home consoles that were massive successes of the likes of Wii to have a flop follow?

Is the GBA's 81 million considered a flop following the combined sales of GB/C's 119m when GB/C had 12 years before GBA's release and GBA had 3 years before DS's release? Is 3DS considered a flop for hitting 75.9m in the grand scheme of things, or only when compared to the DS that was 1 of 3 devices to ever reach 140+ million? What is considered a massive success and what is considered a flop in all this to claim Nintendo has a history of this sort of thing?

Sony/Xbox's business model looking tired/overextended, 3rd parties looking for new platforms to put their multiplats on because PS5 XBoxSeries installed base is tracking below last generation and most assuredly below expectations)
Series S is tracking below Xbox One but PS5 is tracking ahead of PS4.

April 17, 2019, about a month and a half before the reveal. It was totally ignored, I didn't even see it mentioned till after everyone pulled the leak back up to say "can you believe this was real?"

For some reason I remember it showing up and it was assumed legit by plenty. Would have been before this site tho so not sure where - perhaps Reddit.

Odds we get a Switch Micro alongside a possible 2D Zelda this holiday? Could help push units of the 13.5mil mark.
(can go to software speculation thread for discussion), midori says there is TP HD. 2d zelda if there is should give switch2.
(not sure if midori is guessing or sure when she says TP HD)

Given that the shipping manifest revealed so much, I wonder if its possible to actually calculate how much it costs to make a Switch 2 and what Nintendo will charge. I've been expecting $400 due to inflation, but maybe they'll actually go cheaper.

Wii U had some great games in its life , it's launch was not well managed and as you say it did lack a main tentpole Nintendo game, but it's not entirely accurate to say Wii U's problems were only in software, or lack of Nintendo software at launch.

Scott the Woz's in-depth look at the Wii U's failure is a must watch. Part III is still being made, but I and II covers the rumors all the way through launch and year 1. It highligts ALOT of issues, including the fact Nintendo themselves didn't know what to do with the 'gimmick'.

It's also probably helpful to watch Part I as it pertains to pre-reveal dooming in this thread, because the lead up to Switch and Switch 2 tracks so very differently from Wii U in terms of vibes.

Wii U had some great games in its life , it's launch was not well managed and as you say it did lack a main tentpole Nintendo game, but it's not entirely accurate to say Wii U's problems were only in software, or lack of Nintendo software at launch.

Scott the Woz's in-depth look at the Wii U's failure is a must watch. Part III is still being made, but I and II covers the rumors all the way through launch and year 1. It highlists ALOT of issues, including the fact Nintendo themselves didn't know what to do with the 'gimmick'.
In fact the lack of games on debut is what caused the wiiu to fail, I think blaming the failure on gimmicks is Many kiss the baby for the nurse's sake and trying to deny the legitimacy of the hardware innovations that Nintendo has continued to do since Satoru Iwata is completely , not to mention the fact that the wiiu is also a combination of the wii's Motion and the traditional interactions in the controller

Scott the Woz's in-depth look at the Wii U's failure is a must watch. Part III is still being made, but I and II covers the rumors all the way through launch and year 1. It highligts ALOT of issues, including the fact Nintendo themselves didn't know what to do with the 'gimmick'.

It's also probably helpful to watch Part I as it pertains to pre-reveal dooming in this thread, because the lead up to Switch and Switch 2 tracks so very differently from Wii U in terms of vibes.
The gimmick might wasn’t always well utilized, but that has had almost no influence to the success of the console. Imo the biggest reason for its fail was the horrendous marketing (the new controllertm) and lack of a killer game, like Botw was for Switch.

Last edited:
my precious nintendo CANNOT be tainted by the plague of modern game industry trends they'd never be like the evil playstation CHARGING for online and letting microtransactions run rampant. i'm from 2015 btw
I'm not asking Nintendo to do these things.

But I need to emphasize some of the damage that GAAS has caused to the gaming ecosystem.

In fact, few people are aware of this except for interviews with former SE executives.

So, someone must point out that GAAS is harmful from a commercial perspective.

The gimmick might wasn’t always well utilized, but that has had almost no influence to the success of the console. Imo the biggest reason for its fail was the horrendous marketing (the new controllertm).
Well I'm not going to admit that, marketing is really only secondary, you have to have the motivation to get the mass market to buy the wiiu, and the core of that happens to be that the 3DS split a lot of first party game development, and the wiiu being Nintendo's first console to formally step into HDD it's exactly the problem of underestimating HDD, that's why Iwata is laying out the NX and I subscribe to the theory of the shareholder chad that Iwata's most valuable legacy was the formation of a unified first party game development (EPD) after the failure of the wiiu.

Not really. Let's look at the handheld and console lines:

Console - NES did 62M, SNES did 49M, N64 did 33M, and GameCube did 22M. So this started out with a consistent decline. Wii reversed their fortunes with 102M, but WiiU flopped with 13M.

Handheld - Gameboy did 119M while being the main handheld for 12 years, GBA did 81M while being the main handheld for only 3 years, DS did 154M as the main handheld for 7 years. Only 3DS showed a sleep decline to 76M.

The 'boom-bust cycle' only really seems to work if you limit your view to the most recent transition (DS -> 3DS -> Switch and GC -> Wii -> WiiU -> Switch). A more more practical way of looking at things for publishers would be imo that a device similar to Switch with the focus on strong spec improvements is likely to be appealing in the same way that Switch 1 was.

Last edited:
And yet both of these vendors don't seem to be selling sub 500USD OLED devices. However big Nintendo's buying power is, I don't believe they're big enough to move the needle on OLED prices, beyond what the cellphone market is already getting.
This may change next year when the last iPhone stuck on LCD moves to OLED.

The iPhone SE 4 will have an OLED panel made by BOE and is rumoured to cost $499. If the SE goes OLED that’s Apple saying from 2025 onwards OLED is the definite screen type on any iPhone from now on.

I could definitely see a 2027 revision coming early with OLED.

i guess it form tieba's somebody random leak

I was just responding to oldpuck’s commentary that it was entirely ignored. For some reason I remember many assuming it was probably real, but I couldn’t remember what site I’d have been reading at the time. Might have just been my own reaction to it :]

I was just responding to oldpuck’s commentary that it was entirely ignored. For some reason I remember many assuming it was probably real, but I couldn’t remember what site I’d have been reading at the time. Might have just been my own reaction to it :]
I just checked the network forwarding records, and I think that image was uploaded online in April 2019.

Not really. Let's look at the handheld and console lines:

Console - NES did 62M, SNES did 49M, N64 did 33M, and GameCube did 22M. So this started out with a consistent decline. Wii reversed their fortunes with 102M, but WiiU flopped with 13M.

Handheld - Gameboy did 119M while being the main handheld for 12 years, GBA did 81M while being the main handheld for only 3 years, DS did 154M as the main handheld for 7 years. Only 3DS showed a sleep decline to 76M.

The 'boom-bust cycle' only really seems to work if you limit your view to the most recent transition (DS -> 3DS -> Switch and GC -> Wii -> WiiU -> Switch). A more more practical way of looking at things for publishers would be imo that a device similar to Switch with the focus on strong spec improvements is likely to be appealing in the same way that Switch 1 was.
If Switch 2 is similar to Switch 1, then chances of becoming a failure are a lot smaller than previous generations.

Gamecube had the (I believe more expensive) proprietary discs, it was an ugly console with handle and no DVD capabilities. This in an era where Playstation 2 was the cool kid on the block that could play DVD's.

Wii U was a big marketing failure. In my country there were store employees who even said it was a tablet for your wii. Nintendo also failed to come up with cool ideas for the dual screens.

I do believe Switch 2 won't sell as much as Switch 1 and will max out around 80-100 million at the best. Economics have changed and it will be more expensive.

Monster Hunter sells outside of Japan as well, otherwise why even release it on xbone if Capcom didn't think there was no potential?.. And as I said in the other message, Xbone got same day release.

if I was Sony and I really wanted to money hat, i would bar xbone as a platform from a day 1 launch, and wait at least 6 months. Otherwise, xbone is just taking sales away from Sony.

Usually when Sony money hats for exclusives (timed or not), they bar all other platforms, outside of PC.

MHW was a PS exclusive (no Xbox version) in Japan for 6 years :D

Again, I’m not saying Sony specifically paid for this but It seems normal to me that they want pay for (timed) exclusive for Japanese big IP (MH, FF, DQ) as they nearly lost their “home” market to Nintendo.

8sfhel.jpg

India customs are up, nothing really new for now

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Waiting for the juicy Vietnam

Wait, will the Switch Mini have that clamshell.

gyatt-does-the-queen-have-that-gyatt.gif
I'm not sure where this article mentions the "switch mini", but even the switch lite discussion at that time didn't involve a so-called "clamshell.".

It occurs to me that the switch mini came from Nash Weedle, a fake leaker, and should not be taken seriously.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where this article mentions the "switch mini", but even the switch lite discussion at that time didn't involve a so-called "clamshell.".

It occurs to me that the switch mini came from Nash Weedle, a fake leaker, and should not be taken seriously.
There was a rumour that Nintendo were making a console similar to the 3DS, but decided for the Switch lite.

Also funny how the Switch lite was leaked.

Wow! Really? I thought it was ahead…

Shows how much I know…
Yeah Sony wants you to believe that by talking the amount of money they're making. They're selling a console for $100-$200 more than last gen, games at a $10 increase, and that 30% price hike for PSN, so they can just talk about the money they make to hide the fact numbers are really down.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom