• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Pretending to be someone else on a niche internet forum is just the biggest waste of time ever, I wouldn't even expend the energy thinking about it tbh

This is so fucking meta now holy shit LMFAOOOO
And this, my friend, is what we call literary foreshadowing.

That being said, I can't see myself paying more than $400 for the next Switch. I probably will, but I'd cry. I need to pray it will have backwards compatibility, since I'll probably be playing from my existing library for a while after I get it. Like Steve said, $400-$450 seems like the sweet spot. I won't be mad if it's lower though!

Also, thank you all for your write-ups about the speculated hardware. I feel like I learn something new almost every day! I don't have too much to add outside of the occasional "this application would be cool."
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Japan is going to be a very slow adapting market if the Switch 2 launches at a very unappealing price point. Could possibly hasten Nintendo to release a Lite faster or extend the OG Switch’s life, and this could deter them from reducing the price.

Nintendo has a lot of macro economic hurdles to navigate through

b12e15f3-cbc2-48f4-8c6b-31329c715725_screenshot.jpg

Im tracking this shit like its a Category 6 shitstorm off the coast of "pantsdown city"

Got a DS Lite to round out my collection. Now that console has the most charming OS of any Nintendo device. Early 2000s mobile phone pixel goodness.
Just make the Switch 2 OS resemble it and give no reason.
I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Hey guys, I feel like I should let you all know that I am actually Shuntaro Furukawa. 😔
I'm sorry for keeping this a secret all this time.
To make up for this, I will let you all know that the Switch 2 is releasing on Maytember Eleventeenth 2025.

You know what....hell...since everyone is in a sharing mood tonight....

Maybe Ill reveal something too...

I wasnt fully truthful about selling my Nintendo shares. I was forced to liquidate and that led to me losing one of my requirements to do business on the Tokyo Stock Exchange recently. So my entire identity here on famiiboards is now...just nothing and will likely no longer have any worthy goods to share. I guess maybe its time to change the name ol' Racoon gave me.

Edit: Apologies for the bummer post lol . Its all good. Setbacks are meant to be overcome and things are going good overall.

Last edited:
I think the biggest mistake I made on the internet was believing everything midori leaked. (But I did have a longstanding suspicion of his Japanese identity, because it does seem like a deliberate attempt to disguise himself as Japanese)

I don't think we should be so quick to write off any information Midori had shared. I fail to see how the information is any less reliable than it was before. After all, its just information. Correct me if I'm wrong but the account never said the information was made up.

I don't think we should be so quick to write off any information Midori had shared. I fail to see how the information is any less reliable than it was before. After all, its just information. Correct me if I'm wrong but the account never said the information was made up.
Yes, the information is not simply made up, but they are misleading, which is what this article is trying to say.

And crucially, persona6 related information was denied.

From what i can gather listening to Kit and Krysta's telling of events, the pricing error with the 3DS was a hard lesson learned over at Nintendo.
I have strong belief they will be very careful with pricing. But keep in mind people also thought $299.99 for Switch was overpriced, on the back of expecation it would be $250 based on inaccurate leaks and potentially FUD from competitors.

You also have to consider that the world has changed since 2017.
Supply chain, trade tensions and inflation has raised the underlying cost of consoles. Switch 2 will be entering a market where even the cost reduced PS5s are $450-$499. Compared to 2017 when PS4 slim was selling below Switch at launch.

I think their target will be in the $400-$450 range, but i feel it would be very foolish to call anything over $400 a DOA price of what have you.
I don't think Nintendo is as wedded to being under $400 as well a think they do and whatever pricing they arrive at will be done with copious research.

One saving grace is the extremely weak Yen, so Nintendo can afford to price the North American MSRP a little bit more agressively than in a weak dollar environment. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Hey guys, I feel like I should let you all know that I am actually Shuntaro Furukawa. 😔
I'm sorry for keeping this a secret all this time.
To make up for this, I will let you all know that the Switch 2 is releasing on Maytember Eleventeenth 2025.
So Furukawa, if any Bl*ckr*ck plants of investors or L*rry F*nk himself recommend you guys do something, do the opposite.
Go FULL Ralph Bakshi dealing with network executive phonecalls, do you understand?
You do not want to gain negative business, no one wins on that, most especially not Nintendo.

Also, remake Time Twist 1-for-1 with an international release, Thankies.

Rx 560 is a 2.6 Tflops GPU, so it's stronger than Deck. Plus the demo in that cad looks really bad, while they say the switch 2 version looks on par with current gen's demo.
not by much. these are different architectures and very far removed time-wise, so tflops isn't going to be representative. using Time Spy, the RX560 averages at 1965 points, meanwhile, I found a 1568 score for the steam deck.

ultimately, my point was to show that super old, less featured GPUs can still run the demo so it's not necessarily a problem with the SD or ROG Ally hardware that's causing the problems

Wow, was it really? Is it possible to link me to where the denial is?

Edit: nvm, I'll go to the proper thread for this
Well, I reread that article and I surmise that I may have misinterpreted it, but still can't be sure of the accuracy of the information he revealed about the persona6.

In my last post, based on some circumstantial evidences I suggested that Nintendo might want to incorporate the Switch 2 and Switch 1 ecosystems by enabling remote-play streaming from Switch 2 to older models. Below I’ll take another look at Nintendo’s management policy, trademark filing, and System update, and submit another wild speculation that the StreetPass/SpotPass could make a comeback, as another avenue to bridge the two Switch gens.

SsJLkPe.png

During the management policy briefing on 2021-11-05, Nintendo laid out an ambitious cash utilization plan. Up to 300B yen will be invested to “maintain and expand relationships with consumers, centered on Nintendo Accounts” and “build infrastructure”. However, as we all know, what Nintendo account offers presently is rather feeble. What are they spending the pile of money on?

Curiouser and curiouser, Nintendo quietly renewed their StreetPass and SpotPass trademark registrations around the same time:

[JP] StreetPass, 2021-10-11
[JP] SpotPass, 2021-10-11
[US] StreetPass, 2021-11-05 (day of policy briefing)
[US] SpotPass, 2021-11-05 (ditto)
[EU] StreetPass, 2021-11-05 (ditto)
[EU] SpotPass, 2021-11-05 (ditto)

These are not simple trademark renewals. Nintendo took this opportunity to update the “goods and services” descriptions of StreetPass and SpotPass. The original descriptions were clearly describing the 3DS services that we know. Here’s one example:
[ Telecommunication via electronic bulletin boards or providing information thereof; communication via consumer video game apparatus; providing information on communication via consumer video game apparatus; ] communication via hand-held game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; providing information on communication via hand-held game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; [ communication with messages and images via computers; telecommunication (not for broadcasting); ] Communication services, namely, electronic transmission of data, and images [, videos, and documents ] among users of video game computers; [ providing online chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among users in the field of general interest; providing online forums for transmission of messages among video game users; providing wireless broadband communication services for use with video game computer networks and the Internet; streaming of audio and video material on the Internet; text and numeric wireless digital messaging services; web messaging services; ] wireless electronic transmission of [ voice signals, ] data, images, and information; information and data transmission via electronic communications networks
(source)
The new descriptions, however, are describing something that is certainly not the 3DS services:
[US] StreetPass, goods and services
Recorded electronic game programs; downloadable electronic game programs; recorded video game programs; downloadable video game programs; video game cartridges; recorded computer game software; downloadable computer game software; downloadable music files; downloadable image files containing artwork, text, audio, videos relating to video games
Providing on-line videos featuring video games, not downloadable; providing online music, not downloadable; providing on-line computer games

[EU] StreetPass, goods and services
Electronic game programs; downloadable electronic game programs; video game programs; downloadable video game programs; video game cartridges; computer game software, recorded; computer game software, downloadable; downloadable music files; downloadable image files; electronic publications, downloadable.
Providing online videos, not downloadable; providing online music, not downloadable; amusement park services; game services provided online from a computer network.

[US] SpotPass, goods and services
Recorded electronic game programs; downloadable electronic game programs; recorded video game programs; downloadable video game programs; video game cartridges; recorded computer game software; downloadable computer game software; downloadable music files; downloadable image files containing artwork, text, audio, videos relating to video games
Electronic bulletin board services; communications by video game machines; communications by mobile phones; computer aided transmission of messages and images

[EU] SpotPass, goods and services
Electronic game programs; downloadable electronic game programs; video game programs; downloadable video game programs; video game cartridges; computer game software, recorded; computer game software, downloadable; downloadable music files; downloadable image files; electronic publications, downloadable.
Electronic bulletin board services [telecommunications services]; communications by video game machines; communications by mobile phones; computer aided transmission of messages and images; radio communications; wireless broadcasting.
To me, the more interesting features mentioned are a) “not downloadable” videos and music, which indicates streaming, b) “amusement park services”, and c) “computer aided transmission of messages and images”. The last one is particularly eyebrow-raising, because the latest Switch System update ver. 18.1.0 infamously removed X/Twitter. (Friend suggestions via Facebook was also killed.) Now the user has to go through another device to post to X (“computer aided transmission”). Was this power move already foretold in the 2021 trademark filing?

Within System 18.1.0, there’s also a tantalizing—albeit extremely tangential—data point that might point to a new StreetPass/SpotPass. According to SwitchBrew (h/t @Pokemaniac), the license for FlatBuffers was added to the System’s legal text. FlatBuffers is a serialization library that allows data to be moved quickly and efficiently. Nintendo previously used FlatBuffers in SSBU, but it is unclear why the library is added to the System right at the moment of X being kicked out? Knowing that Facebook app uses FlatBuffers to speed up client-server communications, I wonder if Nintendo is prepping their own social channel to replace X and Facebook. Can that be a revamped StreetPass/SpotPass?

So what does this mean for Switch 2? In the recent earnings Q&A, Furukawa reiterated that the ¥‎300B cash utilization is “centered around Nintendo Account to improve user experience and create new added value”, and the Nintendo Account is “a way to maintain long-term relationships with consumers across hardware generations”. As I reasoned in my last post, Switch 2 being pricier/larger/heavier and the potentially large segment of late adopters may necessitate an ongoing support of Switch 1, or better yet, some system features that will tie both gens in one ecosystem. The aforementioned remote play could be one, and a modernized StreetPass/SpotPass could also get the job done.

And one last piece of irresponsible speculation: The Mobapad rumor claimed that “below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button”. The position of the button indicates that it isn’t for gameplays but a system level function. It might be related to the hypothetical StreetPass, remote play, or some other Switch 2 “gimmick”.

I'm sure this has come up before, but all talk of 400, 450, even 500 would be nowhere close to the 3DS's price situation. It launched at over 40% more than DS's inflation-adjusted launch price. We can't totally forecast the next year of inflation, but Switch 2 would probably have to arrive at $550+ to be in that league. $400 would probably be the equivalent of 3DS launching at $150. $450 would be like 3DS launching at $170, which is coincidentally where it ended up after the price slash.

I wasnt fully truthful about selling my Nintendo shares. I was forced to liquidate and that led to me losing one of my requirements to do business on the Tokyo Stock Exchange recently. So my entire identity here on famiiboards is now...just nothing and will likely no longer have any worthy goods to share. I guess maybe its time to change the name ol' Racoon gave me.

Edit: Apologies for the bummer post lol . Its all good. Setbacks are meant to be overcome and things are going good overall.
Any insights into any of Nintendo's new board members?

I'm sure this has come up before, but all talk of 400, 450, even 500 would be nowhere close to the 3DS's price situation. It launched at over 40% more than DS's inflation-adjusted launch price. We can't totally forecast the next year of inflation, but Switch 2 would probably have to arrive at $550+ to be in that league. $400 would probably be the equivalent of 3DS launching at $150. $450 would be like 3DS launching at $170, which is coincidentally where it ended up after the price slash.

Thank you for explaining! I never owned a 3DS and wasn't really gaming much during that generation, so the entire "mea culpa" went by me -- I had heard that they charged too much and then had to price-drop.

Nintendo surely hasn't forgotten that and will try to avoid it. I mean, holy moly, $550? that's what I would expect for a Switch 2 OLED model with 512gigs of internal storage -- the premium model for enthusiasts. That's about as much as the Steam Deck's OLED model as well. $500 is what the PS5 and Xbox Series X costs.

I just can't see them charging that much money for their launch SKU with an LCD screen. I get that inflation and all the new parts will cost a pretty penny, but I mean....heck, the Xbox Series S costs $300. The Steam Deck's LCD model costs $400. Maybe this is more-so wish fulfillment, but I can't see them charging more than their competition like that and charging as much as the high-end of gaming like the PS5. I would be over the moon if they really got away with selling below $400, but I think it would be a disaster if they charged as high as $500 for their base model at launch day.

$400-450 seems the most reasonable, with $300-350 being ideal in ensuring as many casual consumers as possible get their hands on this thing like with Switch 1.

I wonder if, with all the information so far revealed via the shipping manifest, it's possible to roughly calculate how much all the parts cost and what Nintendo could hypothetically charge.

My condolences to whatever the situation was, you add a lot of value and insight.

Last edited:
Considering Nintendo priced it to sell at a loss during the wiiu era, I think Nintendo pricing it at $399 could roughly break even in the first year and start making enough profit on every piece of hardware by 2026.

Considering Nintendo priced it to sell at a loss during the wiiu era, I think Nintendo pricing it at $399 could roughly break even in the first year and start making enough profit on every piece of hardware by 2026.
to add to that, i don't think Nintendo has any issues selling at a loss on just the bare hardware, because as Reggie admitted with the Wii U, they were profitable day 1 with one 1st party game sold with the hardware. Granted it's probably not desirable to have to use your launch software to subsidize hardware, it's not the end of the world.

I could see them approach Switch 2 similarly from a pricing perspective.

The issue they had with Wii U was the product itself had misallocated BOM to features people didn't want (GamePad), at the expense of features people did want (a box closer in design/power to the coming PS4/XBONE)

They just really need to be smart about what they allocate the Switch 2 BOM on. And by all accounts, the SoC is very capable, the 12 GB or LPDDR5X and 256 UFS 3.1 storage hits all the right notes. We're just missing details on the node process. That will also be part of their BOM pricing as a more advanced node will be more expensive to start. While people may want a more 'fun' device with StreetPass and Miiverse, i don't really think people want a lot of the BOM to be spent on stuff like cameras and mics, though we probably will get the mic out of expediency if voice chat is a thing on Switch 2.

to add to that, i don't think Nintendo has any issues selling at a loss on just the bare hardware, because as Reggie admitted with the Wii U, they were profitable day 1 with one 1st party game sold with the hardware. Granted it's probably not desirable to have to use your launch software to subsidize hardware, it's not the end of the world.

I could see them approach Switch 2 similarly from a pricing perspective.

The issue they had with Wii U was the product itself had misallocated BOM to features people didn't want (GamePad), at the expense of features people did want (a box closer in design/power to the coming PS4/XBONE)

They just really need to be smart about what they allocate the Switch 2 BOM on. And by all accounts, the SoC is very capable, the 12 GB or LPDDR5X and 256 UFS 3.1 storage hits all the right notes. We're just missing details on the node process. That will also be part of their BOM pricing as a more advanced node will be more expensive to start. While people may want a more 'fun' device with StreetPass and Miiverse, i don't really think people want a lot of the BOM to be spent on stuff like cameras and mics, though we probably will get the mic out of expediency if voice chat is a thing on Switch 2.
I'm leaning towards the idea that Nintendo is no longer going to price their hardware in a way that sells it at a loss now, but I do think that if Nintendo thinks that the lifespan of the switch2 is going to become a longer lifespan than the switch1 because of the constraints of batteries and the increase in game development time, it's very likely that they'll be considering a break even sale of the console in the first year because the rest of the time it's all about being in the black.

The other thing that is basically confirmed is that switch2 will definitely have new gimmicks.You're still imagining that switch2 is just switch pro

I'm leaning towards the idea that Nintendo is no longer going to price their hardware in a way that sells it at a loss now, but I do think that if Nintendo thinks that the lifespan of the switch2 is going to become a longer lifespan than the switch1 because of the constraints of batteries and the increase in game development time, it's very likely that they'll be considering a break even sale of the console in the first year because the rest of the time it's all about being in the black.

The other thing that is basically confirmed is that switch2 will definitely have new gimmicks.You're still imagining that switch2 is just switch pro
I tend to defer to people with a closer understanding of the thinking at Nintendo, and both Kit and Krysta when discussing the Wii U/3DS years both talk about how the pricing was a mistake on 3DS and that Nintendo understood this interally. I think Nintendo learned their lesson there.

They will do their research and price it right. But as i said upthread, the price may still give some people sticker shock. $400 today isn't what $400 was in 2017. we just went through a lot of inflation, and even Nintendo's competitor's price reduced models are in the $450-$500 range. When in 2017, Switch launched above PS4 Slim. Not saying we'll see a Switch 2 that's $500, but it's a possibility. I'm expecting $400-$450, but in the end, that pricing decision will be done with a lot of care and research.

I tend to defer to people with a closer understanding of the thinking at Nintendo, and both Kit and Krysta when discussing the Wii U/3DS years both talk about how the pricing was a mistake on 3DS and that Nintendo understood this interally. I think Nintendo learned their lesson there.

They will do their research and price it right. But as i said upthread, the price may still give some people sticker shock. $400 today isn't what $400 was in 2017. we just went through a lot of inflation, and even Nintendo's competitor's price reduced models are in the $450-$500 range. When in 2017, Switch launched above PS4 Slim. Not saying we'll see a Switch 2 that's $500, but it's a possibility. I'm expecting $400-$450, but in the end, that pricing decision will be done with a lot of care and research.
I don't know if there's any precedent for setting the price between x00-x50, like $420 or $410, etc., since most modern console pricing I know of would be choosing between $x99 x $49.

I don't know if there's any precedent for setting the price between x00-x50, like $420 or $410, etc., since most modern console pricing I know of would be choosing between $x99 x $49.
Reggie talks about that in his book. Retailers don't like those pricing levels they like nice round numbers.

Nintendo will definitely still stick to the hybrid console strategy for the foreseeable future, so I think if the battery technology doesn't produce a generational breakthrough, the switch2 will probably outlast the switch1, like the gb series, and one has to take into account that the increase in the length of game development will cause them to prolong the switch2's lifespan as well.

Yeah, people need to be aware of this. I believe Nintendo will price it right, but i think a lot of people are just assuming it will be OLED price + $50, not taking into account inflation and supply chain changes since COVID; $399,99 is probably the very low end of where it will land. I don't want people to have meltdowns over what should be something that we should see coming.

Yeah, people need to be aware of this. I believe Nintendo will price it right, but i think a lot of people are just assuming it will be OLED price + $50, when that's probably the very low end of where it will land. I don't want people to have meltdowns over what should be something that we should see coming.
Well, I would undoubtedly accept the $449 pricing, but what I am skeptical about is the Japanese market's acceptance of that price, which of course may not be an issue considering the 3DS also has a sales level of over 20 million in Japan.

In my last post, based on some circumstantial evidences I suggested that Nintendo might want to incorporate the Switch 2 and Switch 1 ecosystems by enabling remote-play streaming from Switch 2 to older models. Below I’ll take another look at Nintendo’s management policy, trademark filing, and System update, and submit another wild speculation that the StreetPass/SpotPass could make a comeback, as another avenue to bridge the two Switch gens.

SsJLkPe.png

During the management policy briefing on 2021-11-05, Nintendo laid out an ambitious cash utilization plan. Up to 300B yen will be invested to “maintain and expand relationships with consumers, centered on Nintendo Accounts” and “build infrastructure”. However, as we all know, what Nintendo account offers presently is rather feeble. What are they spending the pile of money on?

Curiouser and curiouser, Nintendo quietly renewed their StreetPass and SpotPass trademark registrations around the same time:

[JP] StreetPass, 2021-10-11
[JP] SpotPass, 2021-10-11
[US] StreetPass, 2021-11-05 (day of policy briefing)
[US] SpotPass, 2021-11-05 (ditto)
[EU] StreetPass, 2021-11-05 (ditto)
[EU] SpotPass, 2021-11-05 (ditto)

These are not simple trademark renewals. Nintendo took this opportunity to update the “goods and services” descriptions of StreetPass and SpotPass. The original descriptions were clearly describing the 3DS services that we know. Here’s one example:
The new descriptions, however, are describing something that is certainly not the 3DS services:
[US] StreetPass, goods and services

[EU] StreetPass, goods and services

[US] SpotPass, goods and services

[EU] SpotPass, goods and services
To me, the more interesting features mentioned are a) “not downloadable” videos and music, which indicates streaming, b) “amusement park services”, and c) “computer aided transmission of messages and images”. The last one is particularly eyebrow-raising, because the latest Switch System update ver. 18.1.0 infamously removed X/Twitter. (Friend suggestions via Facebook was also killed.) Now the user has to go through another device to post to X (“computer aided transmission”). Was this power move already foretold in the 2021 trademark filing?

Within System 18.1.0, there’s also a tantalizing—albeit extremely tangential—data point that might point to a new StreetPass/SpotPass. According to SwitchBrew (h/t @Pokemaniac), the license for FlatBuffers was added to the System’s legal text. FlatBuffers is a serialization library that allows data to be moved quickly and efficiently. Nintendo previously used FlatBuffers in SSBU, but it is unclear why the library is added to the System right at the moment of X being kicked out? Knowing that Facebook app uses FlatBuffers to speed up client-server communications, I wonder if Nintendo is prepping their own social channel to replace X and Facebook. Can that be a revamped StreetPass/SpotPass?

So what does this mean for Switch 2? In the recent earnings Q&A, Furukawa reiterated that the ¥‎300B cash utilization is “centered around Nintendo Account to improve user experience and create new added value”, and the Nintendo Account is “a way to maintain long-term relationships with consumers across hardware generations”. As I reasoned in my last post, Switch 2 being pricier/larger/heavier and the potentially large segment of late adopters may necessitate an ongoing support of Switch 1, or better yet, some system features that will tie both gens in one ecosystem. The aforementioned remote play could be one, and a modernized StreetPass/SpotPass could also get the job done.

And one last piece of irresponsible speculation: The Mobapad rumor claimed that “below the HOME button on the right Joy-Con, there is an additional function button”. The position of the button indicates that it isn’t for gameplays but a system level function. It might be related to the hypothetical StreetPass, remote play, or some other Switch 2 “gimmick”.
Probably worth clarifying, while the license was added in 18.1.0 (at least according to Switchbrew), chances are reasonably high that this is something they just forgot to put in a previous update (likely 18.0.0). It's hard to say if this is the case or not without fairly deep analysis, but 18.1.0 is a fairly small update and it's pretty easy for this sort of thing to fall through the cracks.

Also, SpotPass never really left, it's just not advertised anymore.

Is $450+ even acceptable? Honestly, there's the market to take into account, where pricing something too high will place it outside of it. Just look at the PS3. Even with incredible specs (regardless of how devs could use it), it did not sell well at launch, even for being the cheapest Bluray and causing Sony a heavy loss per unit. It followed what ended up being the top-selling console of all time. We can't expect people to just flock to the Switch 2 and plop down $450-500 because of the Switch 1. Even if many of us would, we are a very small subsection of the overall fanbase. The OLED selling for $350 was acceptable because any new owner who had never had a Switch before would now have access to 4+ years of games with various improvements over the current Switch, namely the screen.

Is $450+ even acceptable? Honestly, there's the market to take into account, where pricing something too high will place it outside of it. Just look at the PS3. Even with incredible specs (regardless of how devs could use it), it did not sell well at launch, even for being the cheapest Bluray and causing Sony a heavy loss per unit. It followed what ended up being the top-selling console of all time. We can't expect people to just flock to the Switch 2 and plop down $450-500 because of the Switch 1. The OLED selling for $350 was acceptable because any new owner who had never had a Switch before would now have access to 4+ years of games with various improvements over the current Switch, namely the screen.
Also, the irrationality of using the price of oled to project the price of the switch2 is that they are defaulting to the idea that the switch2 will have the same profit margins as the oled for the first three years, but that's unscientific, and Nintendo is bound to take into account the fact that the first three years of the switch2 will see the profit gained from each switch2 sold being reduced compared to the oled.

Is $450+ even acceptable? Honestly, there's the market to take into account, where pricing something too high will place it outside of it. Just look at the PS3. Even with incredible specs (regardless of how devs could use it), it did not sell well at launch, even for being the cheapest Bluray and causing Sony a heavy loss per unit. It followed what ended up being the top-selling console of all time. We can't expect people to just flock to the Switch 2 and plop down $450-500 because of the Switch 1. Even if many of us would, we are a very small subsection of the overall fanbase. The OLED selling for $350 was acceptable because any new owner who had never had a Switch before would now have access to 4+ years of games with various improvements over the current Switch, namely the screen.

I think 450 or 499 is acceptable. PS3 is 599 when the Wii is 250 and 360 at 399. A 200 premium for Blueray which require a new collection and hypothetical hardware superiority. Now the competition is the 499 PS5 and Series X. There's the digital version at 399 and 350 but the sales have shown that the majority is willing to pay more to get the top end version. And there's the major increase in price outside of US. Would Nintendo price it at 450 or 500? I don't know, I'm betting on 400. But I think people will not balk at Switch 2 being similar in price to the other console if the software are there just like how they didn't balk at Switch being 300 with the PS4 bundle with a game included.

I think 450 or 499 is acceptable. PS3 is 599 when the Wii is 250 and 360 at 399. A 200 premium for Blueray which require a new collection and hypothetical hardware superiority. Now the competition is the 499 PS5 and Series X. There's the digital version at 399 and 350 but the sales have shown that the majority is willing to pay more to get the top end version. And there's the major increase in price outside of US. Would Nintendo price it at 450 or 500? I don't know, I'm betting on 400. But I think people will not balk at Switch 2 being similar in price to the other console just like how they didn't balk at Switch being 300 with the PS4 bundle with a game included.
I need to be reminded that while the ps5 sells more than xsx and xss combined, it's xss that people choose more between xsx and xss.

What? Is it typo?
You cut out some important words from quoting me and how it relates to what I said afterwards. It (PS3) followed what ended up being the top-selling console of all time (PS2). I say "ended up" because at the time of PS3's launch, PS2 was only at around 100 million.

I think 450 or 499 is acceptable. PS3 is 599 when the Wii is 250 and 360 at 399. A 200 premium for Blueray which require a new collection and hypothetical hardware superiority. Now the competition is the 499 PS5 and Series X. There's the digital version at 399 and 350 but the sales have shown that the majority is willing to pay more to get the top end version. And there's the major increase in price outside of US. Would Nintendo price it at 450 or 500? I don't know, I'm betting on 400. But I think people will not balk at Switch 2 being similar in price to the other console if the software are there just like how they didn't balk at Switch being 300 with the PS4 bundle with a game included.
I strongly disagree with $499. A lot of Switches are bought for kids, and at $199/299, they are relatively affordable. A lot of kids these days are also happy just playing games on their iPad which is $250 for 9th gen or $350 for 10th gen new if you get the base model. And iPads do a lot more than a single-purpose gaming console. There's just no way Nintendo could retain the family market if they launch a console at $499 when their current console is only $299. Nintendo needs to sell as many of these things as possible, they can't have a split market like Sony has now where most games release on PS4 and PS5, which is crimping their PS5 sales.
I need to be reminded that while the ps5 sells more than xsx and xss combined, it's xss that people choose more between xsx and xss.
Because of Game Pass, and people trying to get Game Pass as cheaply as possible. A Series S is cheaper than getting even a low end gaming PC and you get to play more games on it than a basic PC would anyways.

Last edited:
I remember last month it was Thraktor or whichever one had already roughly calculated the numbers after inflation and thought that $399 pricing was the most likely and that over $400 pricing would surprise him, but of course we're sure that Nintendo will be looking at every aspect in terms of cost savings, even if there are new gimmicks and microphones then that means that they'll be chopping down the cost of some of the other parts.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom