• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I wonder if the next Xenoblade will feature RT on Dane? Monolith Soft kind of goes crazy with what they can do with the hardware even if it hurts the resolution/framerate, though I think they'll only really exploit the new hardware with their following game.
My guess is probably not if Nintendo's targeting a holiday 2022 release date, and maybe if Nintendo's targeting a 2023 release date, considering rumours have mentioned Xenoblade Chronicles 3(?) being optimised for the Nintendo Switch.

I have little doubt the two xenoblade are getting patched and will be used to showcase the hardware.
They punched above switch spec but when you put them in high resolution they're just marvelous.

I have little doubt the two xenoblade are getting patched and will be used to showcase the hardware.
They punched above switch spec but when you put them in high resolution they're just marvelous.
Fans should also get ready for $10 upgrade fees for cross gen games if they go that route

Seeing how well Dying Light 2 runs on the old Xbox One S and PlayStation 4 hardware gives me hope that a potential Switch 2 version could run the game at PS4 Pro/One X settings at 1440p through DLSS with some minor Ray Tracing added (if it works)

Hey all, new to this forum but I used to post on ResetEra (mostly the Nintendo tech thread and sales thread). It’s good to see many familiar faces/avatars.

I’m not a tech guy, I’m an investment analysts and Nintendo falls into my coverage.

I’ve been trying to figure out what Nintendo wants to do, and not what consumers want or techies dream of.

I think there are two scenarios here.

1. We get no new, higher performant hardware and Nintendo rides out the Mariko chip until it’s ready to launch the next gen. I don’t think we are getting next gen until holiday 2023 (the earliest). I also think everyone who believes in an iterative model (I.e., like the iPhone is wrong).

2. I have a new Nintendo Switch hardware theory. It’s sorta evil which makes me want to believe it’s real.

A 2022 Switch Pro based on Dane/Ampere but it will be just barely worth it. About 4x performance w/DLSS - enough to take games like BotW to 1440p docked and existing 1080p games to 4k. It will support more next gen/more demanding games but only at like 540p-720p docked.

I think they can sell 20m-40m units over 2- 3-years and then launch next gen in 2024-2025 on Nvidia 5nm.

The pros of this include:
-$400 price point; Gets consumers used to more expensive Nintendo hardware.
- Leaves plenty of room to market improved performance between Pro and Switch 2.
-Helps them resell more evergreen software and recoup any work they need to port/transfer games to the new hardware.

Last edited:
That is, some deliberate sandbagging with Dane now, then the real stupendous leap comes with an Atlan derivative in 2025? (Atlan being Nvidia's next stated SoC slated for 2025 after this year's Orin)

Hey all, new to this forum but I used to post on ResetEra (mostly the Nintendo tech thread and sales thread). It’s good to see many familiar faces/avatars.

I’m not a tech guy, I’m an investor analysts and Nintendo falls into my coverage.

I’ve been trying to figure out what Nintendo wants to do and not what consumers want or techies dream of.

1. We get no new, higher performant hardware and Nintendo rides out the Mariko chip until it’s ready to launch the next gen. I don’t think we are getting next gen until holiday 2023 (the earliest). I also think everyone who believes in an interactive model (I.e., like the iPhone is wrong).

2. I have a new Nintendo Switch hardware theory. It’s sorta evil which makes me want to believe it’s real.

A 2022 Switch Pro based on Dane/Ampere but it will be just barely worth it. About 4x performance w/DLSS - enough to take games like BotW to 1440p docked and existing 1080p games to 4k. It will support more next gen/demanding games but only at like 540p-720p docked.

I think they can sell 20m-40m units over 2- 3-years and then launch next gen in 2024-2025 on Nvidia 5nm.

The pros of this include:
-$400 price point; Gets consumers used to more expensive Nintendo hardware.
- Leaves plenty of room to market improved performance between Pro and Switch 2.
-Helps them resell more evergreen software and recoup and work they need to port/transfer games to the hardware.
The biggest issue I have with scenario 2 is that it kinda screws over the third parties who plan to make games exclusive to the Dane Switch.

Otherwise it sounds like almost exactly the same thing they did with the new 3DS so it's probably not too far off.

Seeing how well Dying Light 2 runs on the old Xbox One S and PlayStation 4 hardware gives me hope that a potential Switch 2 version could run the game at PS4 Pro/One X settings at 1440p through DLSS with some minor Ray Tracing added (if it works)

There was a leak, distributor's site showed both cloud and native versions of DL2 coming to Switch. Now that the cloud version is suspiciously delayed, we might actually see DL2 natively on current Switch. With lot of sacrifices, of course.

That's not evidence of anything. Nintendo, Sony and MS all released new consoles during the chip shortage. All of them experienced supply constraints, everything is going to experience supply constraints. Base Switches are experiencing supply constraints, OLED Switches are experiencing supply constraints. Putting their resources into launching a new one will wind up in it also experiencing supply constraints, but that will be the case regardless of when they launch (unless they plan to launch after 2027).

There is zero reason to believe this factors into Nintendo's planned timing for whatever Dane is meant to launch in.

Nintendo didnt release new console during chip shortages, and Sony and MS kind a need it to because PS4/XB1 sales almost stop, so difference is that Nintendo doesnt need to release new hardware for at least 1-2 years because Switch is still selling grate. And Sony cut down forecast for PS5 consoles means that shortages is bigger than they thought it will be.
Switch currently also has chip shortages but problem Nintendo has is much smaller than Sony/MS have, because Switch in on older node thats not popular and not big demand, in comparison shortage for 5-8nm is much stronger.
Chip shortages is not same intensity all the time, its changing, you act like it will be exactly same situation until 2027. also, it could easily be that later launch means more chips would be produced and ready for Switch launch instead of earlier launch.

With Covid, chip shortages and point that Switch keep selling like crazy, any plan that Nintendo had could easily changed.

Switch sales will not last forever. We're in the direct sequel era now.

Zelda 2 isn't going to drive new hardware
Splatoon 3 definitely isn't going to drive new hardware
1-2 Switch 2 is a fucking joke
Xenoblade 3, KT Fire Emblem 2, and all the others won't

software sales will be tremendous this year, but Pokémon was the last big hardware sales driver

the only thing that will drive hardware now is Mario Kart or 4K

There was a leak, distributor's site showed both cloud and native versions of DL2 coming to Switch. Now that the cloud version is suspiciously delayed, we might actually see DL2 natively on current Switch. With lot of sacrifices, of course.

What’s really odd is that it should get released in 6 months. why for a game that runs on the cloud?

Native Dying Light 2 on Switch ?

And why would EA conceal that the reason is a "technical one"? Many publishers and developers have say just that and is as an understandable and noncontroversial reason as you can get in the industry.
because it's neither of those reasons

EA hates Nintendo
it's that simple
It's that petty
It's that dumb

I think its a few things.
-The largest games self select out of being on Switch. (we speculated CoD console versions may not have been ported for this reason)
-Devs don't want to deal with backlash and low uptake (smaller adressable market) of a game with a large required download, they probably have data on how many people don't have a microSD installed and the average microSD sizes
-The good ports optimize to get the size down

Which is why i think getting to 32GB as standard and 64GB as the equivalent of today's 16GB would be crucial, it would bring Switch to effective parity with BR discs and open the door for more physical releases and more games to release.
I was thinking about this the other day and I actually think Online functions may have something to do with it.
Seems we've been hearing a lot about Nintendo updating their backend for online.
Perhaps games this large usually coinside with some fairly robust Online type features that Nintendo just doesn't support that easily.

Not that online is impossible ... but that the developers would then have to cusomize their efforts to even run on switch but also then they would have to maintain that branch of online .
Maybe epic is willing to do this with fortnite.
Maybe Activisiion is not willing to at all with call of duty
Maybe EA isn't willing to do this with Sims.
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Nintendo added a whole online mode to mario party.
They won't make you pay for upping the resolution.
This company made all of us pay to transfer all of our already purchased Virtual Console Titles to the Wii U... for what? Gamepad play? save states?
I don't think 4K upgrade costs are off the table

Last edited:
What’s really odd is that it should get released in 6 months. why for a game that runs on the cloud?
I don't think it actually got delayed, they're probably getting the game running on the Switch and launch the cloud version alongside the native version (which should be the first on Switch), if they fail they'd just release the cloud version.

But yeah, delaying a cloud game makes absolutely no sense. They are basically PC versions of games, with Switch button prompts added.
Native Dying Light 2 on Switch ?
Yeah. Not surprising though. First one sold really well on Switch, Techland know they can't replicate the same success with a cloud game.

A 2022 Switch Pro based on Dane/Ampere but it will be just barely worth it. About 4x performance w/DLSS - enough to take games like BotW to 1440p docked and existing 1080p games to 4k. It will support more next gen/demanding games but only at like 540p-720p docked.
I'm not understanding how 4x performance with DLSS is barely worth it. that's 1200p without DLSS, but you're forgetting the arch improvements

How much would the Dane SoC would need to be downclocked to be barely an upgrade from the current Switch? Seems like a waste to go the extra mile to massively underclock it for no reason.

Nintendo didnt release new console during chip shortages, and Sony and MS kind a need it to because PS4/XB1 sales almost stop, so difference is that Nintendo doesnt need to release new hardware for at least 1-2 years because Switch is still selling grate. And Sony cut down forecast for PS5 consoles means that shortages is bigger than they thought it will be.
Switch currently also has chip shortages but problem Nintendo has is much smaller than Sony/MS have, because Switch in on older node thats not popular and not big demand, in comparison shortage for 5-8nm is much stronger.
Chip shortages is not same intensity all the time, its changing, you act like it will be exactly same situation until 2027. also, it could easily be that later launch means more chips would be produced and ready for Switch launch instead of earlier launch.

With Covid, chip shortages and point that Switch keep selling like crazy, any plan that Nintendo had could easily changed.
  • Nintendo released a new console, the OLED Switch
  • PS4/XB1 sales stopped because they announced successors, if that hadn't happened before COVID they would've seen a huge resurgence in demand. And I fact the PS4 at least did, it's been sold out globally for like a year and a half, they had to cut production of it to make way for PS5 production but that didn't stop demand for PS4s.
  • If they wait 1-2 years there will still be a chip shortage, releasing this same chip only a couple years later does nothing for them except hurt their yearly revenue
  • There is no shortage at all for 8nm parts, that's one of the few nodes that's almost fully available

The biggest issue I have with scenario 2 is that it kinda screws over the third parties who plan to make games exclusive to the Dane Switch.

Otherwise it sounds like almost exactly the same thing they did with the new 3DS so it's probably not too far off.

I don’t think it entirely screws then. Next hardware will be backwards compatible so they can just release a next gen patch.

I’m pretty sure that Nintendo knows that Switch is struggling performance-wise, so the longer it wants Switch 2 to last the more performant it should shoot to make it. A $400 price point and 5nm chipset buys lot of performance. I think Dane is too weak to be the successor and, again, I don’t believe in the iterative model.

I'm not understanding how 4x performance with DLSS is barely worth it. that's 1200p without DLSS, but you're forgetting the arch improvements
I’m saying 4x AFTER DLSS and all other improvement.

This kinda hardware is nice and I forecast a TAM of 20m-40m for it over 2-3 years. So significant but not a game changer; Said differently techies and Nintendo enthusiasts will want it but it’s not next gen. It’s a nice bridge that extends the lifecycle for Switch, like GameBoy Color did.

1. We get no new, higher performant hardware and Nintendo rides out the Mariko chip until it’s ready to launch the next gen. I don’t think we are getting next gen until holiday 2023 (the earliest). I also think everyone who believes in an interactive model (I.e., like the iPhone is wrong).

1. Is critically flawed because the only thing better than an Orin-derived SoC (Dane) is an Altan Derived SoC which Altan isn't out until 2025, so no go there.

2. Based on what we can tell from the A78s and Ampere, we can extrapolate a range of processing power for the Dane SoC.
  • CPU
    • 8 A78Cs is the most likely configuration, but the thing is we have no actual benchmarks for A78Cs so we have to use A78s for reference, but even then A78s at 1.5Ghz is over a 4 times increase in Single-threaded CPU performance over OG Switch and an over 9 times increase in multithreaded performance over OG Switch.
      • For reference versus other consoles
        • (Note comparisons between x86 and is a bit messy, but I am using Geekbench values for this, so some systems that don't have Geekbench 5 scores will use values derived from closer CPUs we can get % values to compare against them)
        • OG Switch
          • ~120 / ~380 (ST/MT)
        • Xbox One CPU (8 Core Jaguar)
          • ~ 200/ ~1700 (ST/MT)
        • Dane @ 1.5Ghz (Calculated based on A78s, A78C could bring these values way up)
          • ~ 485 / ~3880 (ST/MT)
        • PS5 CPU
          • ~ 1000 / ~7880 (ST/MT)
    • Dane will find itself sort of in the gap between the Last and Current gen Consoles if they go for 1.5Ghz, having roughly half the CPU power of the PS5, but that should be taken with the context that Dane's CPU still is more than twice as powerful as the last-gen CPUs, and immensely more powerful than the OG Switch's CPU.
      • And that's only with data from A78s, the A78Cs should perform even better with the extra cache they have.
  • GPU
    • We can actually extrapolate this decently as there is a Ampere GPU in the 6-12SM range in existence at the moment, the NVIDIA A2.
    • Even though the A2 is 10SMs and I say the general expectations for Dane's GPU has settled on 8SMs, there is a major factor we have to consider
    • Orin isn't Ampere.
      • What i mean by this is that we now know what makes Orin different than Ampere GPU-wise in most regards, the main thing being a boatload of extra cache which as we can see with AMD's Infinity Cache, can make a huge difference in the power of the GPU.
        • As for the specific increase, 50% more L1 Cache, and Double The L2 Cache, which because those are very fast cache types, the boost can somewhat equate to the L3 Cache addition that Infinity Cahce is for RDNA2 (So to make it simpler, imagine Ampere but with Infinity Cache, but it's scalable with the SM count)
      • So I say it would be fair to say that 8SMs of Orin would perform the same as 10SMs of Ampere when set to the same clocks.
    • The question then is, where does the A2 fall?
      • Well, the A2 surpasses the GTX 1050Ti at 1.7Ghz boost clock, by roughly 9%.
        • For reference of where the 1050Ti is, that is at worst 75% of the PS4 Pro's GPU assuming it's equal to an RX470.
      • Docked Dane likely will be clocked a fair bit lower than that, but Ampere seems to be fairly inflexible on its GPU Clock ranges, not gaining as much as previous uArchs, so I say that the range for Dane's GPU falls between the GTX 960 and the 1050Ti itself.
        • The GTX 960 is 47% faster than the PS4's GPU by the way, and even if the range is 1050 to 1050Ti, the GTX 1050 is 27% faster
    • So with the above, comparing GPUs to the closest approximation to the current Switch's GPU (The 920mx)
      • Xbox One: 1.24x
      • PS4: 1.9x
      • Bottom-End Dane Pre-DLSS (1050): 2.68x
      • Upper-End Dane Pre-DLSS(1050Ti): 3.6x
      • PS4 Pro: 5.1x
      • Bottom-end Dane Post-DLSS: 5.36x
      • Series S: 5.5-6x?
      • One X: 6.5x
      • Upper-End Dane post-DLSS 7.2x
      • PS5: 13x???
    • And comparing Dane itself to other systems to get numbers more in line.
      • PS4 Pro is 1.6x as powerful as the Lower-end estimate for Dane, and only 1.33x as powerful as the upper-end.
      • The One X is 2x as powerful as lower-end Dane but 1.6x as powerful as the higher-end one.
      • The PS5 is 3.7x as powerful as lower-end Dane, but only 3x Upper-end Dane.
      • DLSS makes these margins even smaller on output.
So TL;DR?
  • CPU:
    • Immensely more powerful than the current Switch and over double the power of last-gen CPUs, but highly hinges on clock speed and how close it is to PS5/Series S|X CPU-wise depending on A78C's improvements and the final clock.
  • GPU:
    • 3-4x as powerful as the current Switch, while being a decent bit ahead of the OG PS4 before DLSS, jumping ahead of the Pro-Consoles post-DLSS.
I say that system with DLSS, RT that would likely beat the Series S's RT capability, would be fully capable of getting modern ports as a lot of the excess processing power in the PS5/Series X is mostly going to render native 4k, and/or compensating for AMD's lackluster Ray Accelerators, problems Dane wouldn't have because DLSS covers for resolution, meaning they only need to hit 720p to get 4K output with DLSS ultra Performance, and the RT cores are far better than AMD's Ray Accelerators.

I’m saying 4x AFTER DLSS and all other improvement.

This kinda hardware is nice and I forecast a TAM of 20m-40m for it over 2-3 years. So significant but not a game changer; Said differently techies and Nintendo enthusiasts will want it but it’s not next gen. It’s a nice bridge that extends the lifecycle for Switch, like GameBoy Color did.
DLSS very rarely even hits 2x improvement and that's usually at high end resolutions where there's more to gain from going lower. if 2x is at best, then the rest will have to come from arch improvements, more cores, etc. given the improvements of Ampere, i'm not even sure if you can clock low enough to only get 2x

1. Is critically flawed because the only thing better than an Orin-derived SoC (Dane) is an Altan Derived SoC which Altan isn't out until 2025, so no go there.

2. Based on what we can tell from the A78s and Ampere, we can extrapolate a range of processing power for the Dane SoC.
  • CPU
    • 8 A78Cs is the most likely configuration, but the thing is we have no actual benchmarks for A78Cs so we have to use A78s for reference, but even then A78s at 1.5Ghz is over a 4 times increase in Single-threaded CPU performance over OG Switch and an over 9 times increase in multithreaded performance over OG Switch.
      • For reference versus other consoles
        • (Note comparisons between x86 and is a bit messy, but I am using Geekbench values for this, so some systems that don't have Geekbench 5 scores will use values derived from closer CPUs we can get % values to compare against them)
        • OG Switch
          • ~120 / ~380 (ST/MT)
        • Xbox One CPU (8 Core Jaguar)
          • ~ 200/ ~1700 (ST/MT)
        • Dane @ 1.5Ghz (Calculated based on A78s, A78C could bring these values way up)
          • ~ 485 / ~3880 (ST/MT)
        • PS5 CPU
          • ~ 1000 / ~7880 (ST/MT)
    • Dane will find itself sort of in the gap between the Last and Current gen Consoles if they go for 1.5Ghz, having roughly half the CPU power of the PS5, but that should be taken with the context that Dane's CPU still is more than twice as powerful as the last-gen CPUs, and immensely more powerful than the OG Switch's CPU.
      • And that's only with data from A78s, the A78Cs should perform even better with the extra cache they have.
  • GPU
    • We can actually extrapolate this decently as there is a Ampere GPU in the 6-12SM range in existence at the moment, the NVIDIA A2.
    • Even though the A2 is 10SMs and I say the general expectations for Dane's GPU has settled on 8SMs, there is a major factor we have to consider
    • Orin isn't Ampere.
      • What i mean by this is that we now know what makes Orin different than Ampere GPU-wise in most regards, the main thing being a boatload of extra cache which as we can see with AMD's Infinity Cache, can make a huge difference in the power of the GPU.
        • As for the specific increase, 50% more L1 Cache, and Double The L2 Cache, which because those are very fast cache types, the boost can somewhat equate to the L3 Cache addition that Infinity Cahce is for RDNA2 (So to make it simpler, imagine Ampere but with Infinity Cache, but it's scalable with the SM count)
      • So I say it would be fair to say that 8SMs of Orin would perform the same as 10SMs of Ampere when set to the same clocks.
    • The question then is, where does the A2 fall?
      • Well, the A2 surpasses the GTX 1050Ti at 1.7Ghz boost clock, by roughly 9%.
        • For reference of where the 1050Ti is, that is at worst 75% of the PS4 Pro's GPU assuming it's equal to an RX470.
      • Docked Dane likely will be clocked a fair bit lower than that, but Ampere seems to be fairly inflexible on its GPU Clock ranges, not gaining as much as previous uArchs, so I say that the range for Dane's GPU falls between the GTX 960 and the 1050Ti itself.
        • The GTX 960 is 47% faster than the PS4's GPU by the way, and even if the range is 1050 to 1050Ti, the GTX 1050 is 27% faster
    • So with the above, comparing GPUs to the closest approximation to the current Switch's GPU (The 920mx)
      • Xbox One: 1.24x
      • PS4: 1.9x
      • Bottom-End Dane Pre-DLSS (1050): 2.68x
      • Upper-End Dane Pre-DLSS(1050Ti): 3.6x
      • PS4 Pro: 5.1x
      • Bottom-end Dane Post-DLSS: 5.36x
      • Series S: 5.5-6x?
      • One X: 6.5x
      • Upper-End Dane post-DLSS 7.2x
      • PS5: 13x???
    • And comparing Dane itself to other systems to get numbers more in line.
      • PS4 Pro is 1.6x as powerful as the Lower-end estimate for Dane, and only 1.33x as powerful as the upper-end.
      • The One X is 2x as powerful as lower-end Dane but 1.6x as powerful as the higher-end one.
      • The PS5 is 3.7x as powerful as lower-end Dane, but only 3x Upper-end Dane.
      • DLSS makes these margins even smaller on output.
So TL;DR?
  • CPU:
    • Immensely more powerful than the current Switch and over double the power of last-gen CPUs, but highly hinges on clock speed and how close it is to PS5/Series S|X CPU-wise depending on A78C's improvements and the final clock.
  • GPU:
    • 3-4x as powerful as the current Switch, while being a decent bit ahead of the OG PS4 before DLSS, jumping ahead of the Pro-Consoles post-DLSS.
I say that system with DLSS, RT that would likely beat the Series S's RT capability, would be fully capable of getting modern ports as a lot of the excess processing power in the PS5/Series X is mostly going to render native 4k, and/or compensating for AMD's lackluster Ray Accelerators, problems Dane wouldn't have because DLSS covers for resolution, meaning they only need to hit 720p to get 4K output with DLSS ultra Performance, and the RT cores are far better than AMD's Ray Accelerators.
Thanks for the details. I’m not going to argue tech/specs with you bc that not an argument I can win. And I hope you’re right bc the piece of hardware you’re describing sounds great.

But I’ll just make a few points:

1. I’ve been reading these tech threads for about 2-years and people debate what the next Switch and now what Dane could do all the time.

2. We don’t know the power draw that Nintendo will pick. Switch is under clocked vs. Shield TV. If they undershoot again then people like you will be disappointed/try to overclocked it.

3. Strategically, I don’t think Nintendo wants to release something that you imagine - with 9x the CPU and 5x the GPU in the next 12-ish months. It’s better for them to stretch out the Switch with a lesser piece of hardware for another 2-3 years and then launch an even bigger console on an even more advanced node (maybe 5nm? It’ll be 3 years old in the time frame I’m talking about).

On #3 Nintendo needs to prove to investors it can stretch out this cycle and prove it can transition generations smoothly.

how feasible is a Dane Switch coming out in 2025 as a successor?
By 2025, it would probably no longer be Dane. That would probably be a scenario where Nintendo scrapped what they had and basically started over.
Thanks for the details. I’m not going to argue tech/specs with you bc that not an argument I can win. And I hope you’re right bc the piece of hardware you’re describing sounds great.

1. I’ve been reading these tech threads for about 2-years and people debate what the next Switch and now what Dane could do all the time.

2. We don’t know the power draw that Nintendo will pick. Switch is under clocked vs. Shield TV. If they undershoot again then people like you will be disappointed/try to overclocked it.

3. Strategically, I don’t think Nintendo wants to release something that you imagine - with 9x the CPU and 5x the GPU in the next 12-ish months. It’s better for them to stretch out the Switch with a lesser piece of hardware for another 2-3 years and then launch an even bigger console on an even more advanced node (maybe 5nm? It’ll be 3 years old in the time frame I’m talking about).

On #3 Nintendo needs to prove to investors it can stretch out this cycle and prove it can transition generations smoothly.
If Nintendo was only planning to ride the system out for a couple years like they usually do, it would make a lot more sense to make a chip that looked a lot more like the one they're currently using. Advancing to A78 and Ampere is well outside their typical stopgap revision playbook and forced them to deal with the sort of BC issues you'd normally expect to only come up with a successor.

But that's the thing, Switch already is leading to the end of its life cycle hardware-wise.
It's reaching its market saturation so if Nintendo wants to keep sales up for the next 2+ years a shakeup has to happen.

And usually, you see giant leaps in processing power every other generation, not gen-on-gen, so waiting for Altan likely won't be as big of a jump over Dane as you think.

Dane on 8nm is a perfectly powerful enough system to carry the Switch brand another 6 years IMHO, and by 6 years from now, NVIDIA at least will likely have DLSS more or less perfected and RT at a minimal cost versus Rasterization now (not to mention game engines pushing to be optimized with RT in mind).

But that's the thing, Switch already is leading to the end of its life cycle hardware-wise.
It's reaching its market saturation so if Nintendo wants to keep sales up for the next 2+ years a shakeup has to happen.

And usually, you see giant leaps in processing power every other generation, not gen-on-gen, so waiting for Altan likely won't be as big of a jump over Dane as you think.

Dane on 8nm is a perfectly powerful enough system to carry the Switch brand another 6 years IMHO, and by 6 years from now, NVIDIA at least will likely have DLSS more or less perfected and RT at a minimal cost versus Rasterization now (not to mention game engines pushing to be optimized with RT in mind).

What evidence is there that it’s reaching saturation?

How is a Pro model that is 4x more powerful than Mariko not “shaking it up” but a 5x-6x successor crosses that hurdle?

What evidence is there that it’s reaching saturation?

How is a Pro model that is 4x more powerful than Mariko not “shaking it up” but a 5x-6x successor crosses that hurdle?
Yeah that's what I'm referring to, the Mariko Model hardware sales wise has seemingly hit it's sales peak, which if Nintendo wants to keep Momentum up, they would want to release a new model before 2024

And I'm saying that Dane is a shake up that will increase sales and that the benefits of Altan wouldn't be worth the wait if they cancelled Dane in favor of it really

Like i said before, i'm somewhat concerned Nintendo is going to try to maximize profit and forget there's competition. Announcing a successor will certainly cut Switch sales, so the timing has to be reasonable close to launch and the concern I have is they are going to worry about that and just sit on their asses.

They can have a gangbuster 2022 for sure without announcing a successor and 2023 could be goosed with a price drop, but if they still have nothing by then, they are going to see a steep delcine just like the Wii in 2024 while they are trying to ramp up the next platform and go into several years of losses if the successor struggles or uptake is slow due to chip shortages and high prices or whatever unplanned risk evolves.

Like i said before, i'm somewhat concerned Nintendo is going to try to maximize profit and forget there's competition. They can have a gangbuster 2022 for sure without announcing a successor and 2023 could be goosed with a price drop, but if they still have nothing by then, they are going to see a steep delcine just like the Wii in 2024 while they are trying to ramp up the next platform and go into several years of losses if the successor struggles or uptake is slow due to chip shortages and high prices or whatever unplanned risk evolves.
I don't really have that same fear especially in light of this-

Yeah that's what I'm referring to, the Mariko Model hardware sales wise has seemingly hit it's sales peak, which if Nintendo wants to keep Momentum up, they would want to release a new model before 2024

And I'm saying that Dane is a shake up that will increase sales and that the benefits of Altan wouldn't be worth the wait if they cancelled Dane in favor of it really
To be clear, no one is argueing that Switch hardware sales have not declined; they are past the peak. Even Nintendo will acknowledge it.

The question is what’s the more likely strategy for the next two years? I’m saying going with a smaller, Pro revision is MORE LIKELY bc Nintendo can extend the current gen by 2-3 years and that’s what Nintendo says that’s what THEY want to do. For them, selling “only” 30m units over the next 2 fiscal years while maintaining good software sales is an incredibly achievement.

You are saying they should launch gen 2 because YOU think it’s a better strategy. Maybe it is - maybe it isn’t - but their words lead me to believe they are on a different path than your vision.

Last edited:

If we take Nintendo's president Furukawa at his word that Switch is currently in the middle of its lifecycle, then we can definitely expect more hardware revisions (whether that's a Pro or 2.0 model is probably not that important right now)...

If we take Nintendo's president Furukawa at his word that Switch is currently in the middle of its lifecycle, then we can definitely expect more hardware revisions (whether that's a Pro or 2.0 model is probably not that important right now)...
That's another reason I feel Dane in 2022/2023 is what they will go with

My question/concern regarding a deliberate sandbagging to set up a knock out impression with the follow up device strategy is: it's possible that you end up with a battery life great enough that you end up altering user expectations for what to expect later, which in turn restrains the follow up device.

That said, I'm not sure how much holding back is really necessary for a 2025 device to still be an impressive followup. There's a plausible timeline where by 2025, the 2 nm generation of manufacturing is up and running with the smartphone makers on it. In turn, the 3 nm generation of nodes would be available for AMD and Nvidia to duke it out.
(and in a timeline where 2 nm still isn't a go in 2025, well, uh, shit's kind of fucked)

Eh they've been saying that for the last 3 years, it's become pretty clear that they're not referring to actual years of its life but instead the product phase it's currently in (growth, maturity, decline).

That's another reason I feel Dane in 2022/2023 is what they will go with

It will also establish a new performance metric that by the time a full Next-gen Switch does arrive, this Dane model could possibly sell another 75-100 million units. Which would elevate that base Switch development of where Nintendo would still want to support with cross-gen games.

Eh they've been saying that for the last 3 years, it's become pretty clear that they're not referring to actual years of its life but instead the product phase it's currently in (growth, maturity, decline).

Yes they have stated this multiple times now, but it also leads more into Switch being seen as a unified iterative platform like iPhone and much less like PlayStation.

Yes they have stated this multiple times now, but it also leads more into Switch being seen as a unified iterative platform like iPhone and much less like PlayStation.
I have been told that a board member said explicitly that they aren’t doing this.

It’s been 5-years and we have seen ZERO performance variants (not counting battery life).

I have been told that a board member said explicitly that they aren’t doing this.

It’s been 5-years and we have seen ZERO performance variants (not counting battery life).
Performance variants are not the only indicator of that strategy. They have the Lite and the OLED model forming the Switch family with the original hybrid, they very likely are going to have additional family members too.

I think the (subtle) distinction between the idea of an iterative platform and a traditional console one is that the next, more powerful device isn't a "next gen" version of that platform, it's simply another new member of the same family.

This is what they did with the GB and GBC.

To be clear, no one is argueing that Switch hardware sales have not declined; they are past the peak. Even Nintendo will acknowledge it.

The question is what’s the more likely strategy for the next two years? I’m saying going with a smaller, Pro revision is MORE LIKELY bc Nintendo can extend the current gen by 2-3 years and that’s what Nintendo says that’s what THEY want to do. For them, selling “only” 30m units over the next 2 fiscal years while maintaining good software sales is an incredibly achievement.

You are saying they should launch gen 2 because YOU think it’s a better strategy. Maybe it is - maybe it isn’t - but their words lead me to believe they are on a different path than your vision.
The Switch isn't going to just cease to exist when its successor releases. Nintendo can and will continue to support it well past that. They literally did this with the 3DS.

Performance variants are not the only indicator of that strategy. They have the Lite and the OLED model forming the Switch family with the original hybrid, they very likely are going to have additional family members too.

I think the (subtle) distinction between the idea of an iterative platform and a traditional console one is that the next, more powerful device isn't a "next gen" version of that platform, it's simply another new member of the same family.

This is what they did with the GB and GBC.
So because Xbox has Series S and X they also have an iterative strategy? Because we have a Slim and a Pro that extended the PS family, that’s an indication of the strategy too?

Your arguments are inconsistent bc the PS4 Pro was more power same gen hardware but the poster above said Nintendo is going more iterative, not PS.

Last edited:
So because Xbox has Series S and X they also have an iterative strategy? Because we have a Slim and a Pro that extended the PS family, that’s an indication of the strategy too?

Your arguments are inconsistent.
Xbox does now sorta follow this strategy, yes. PS does not.

I'm not saying it's simply a matter of having multiple different console revisions (like a slim and a pro), it's the idea of the "next gen" device that gets games the previous one didn't not being considered a "Switch 2" but rather being considered the next member of the Switch family.

PlayStation 2 was not considered to be a version of PS1, just like PS5 was not a version of PS4.

However the GBC was considered to be a version of the Game Boy. But for all intents and purposes it was the de facto "next gen" Game Boy since it got new exclusive games.

Your arguments are inconsistent bc the PS4 Pro was more power same gen hardware but the poster above said Nintendo is going more iterative, not PS.
Microsoft literally called it Series
If there isn't a Seires S2|X2, S3|X3 in the next couple of years I will be shocked

Xbox does now sorta follow this strategy, yes. PS does not.

I'm not saying it's simply a matter of having multiple different console revisions (like a slim and a pro), it's the idea of the "next gen" device that gets games the previous one didn't not being considered a "Switch 2" but rather being considered the next member of the Switch family.

PlayStation 2 was not considered to be a version of PS1, just like PS5 was not a version of PS4.

However the GBC was considered to be a version of the Game Boy. But for all intents and purposes it was the de facto "next gen" Game Boy since it got new exclusive games.
By your definition, I’m arguing for something ”iterative” bc Pro is same gen, and I’m arguing that next hardware will be next gen.

That doesn’t fit my definition of iterative because we will have only 1 performant SKU before the next gen.

Last edited:
Well if Dane is the the SoC we are getting, it's effectively a successor platform.

If it has BC, and iterative branding and smooth transition from existing models in terms of the Ui being the same, perhaps exactly exactly the same one on the OG Switch with some extra features added, people will 'feel' it is iterative

If it has BC, but generational branding and a more of a refresh of the OS, it will feel like a new generaiton

At that point the hardware is the same under both scenarios, it's all in the software and presentation. So to me the iterative/vs generational argument is more a matter of marketing and positioning and less about hardware.

By your definition, I’m arguing for something ”iterative” bc Pro is same gen, and I’m arguing that next hardware will be next gen.

That doesn’t fit my definition of iterative because we will have only 1 performant SKU before the next gen.
Well, did the GBC fit your definition of iterative?

Wouldn't the only way for them to release a "Pro" be that they get a new SoC out of nowhere (probably not Nvidia) or overclocking the Mariko chip, which COULD extract more performance due to it's node shrink? The first option sounds unrealistic and the second option would mean most Switches are already "Pro" Switches that could get overclocked with a patch, which wouldn't increase sales, and releasing an overclocked Mariko Switch, while leaving the others as is would be bad PR.

If Nintendo had planned the successor to release this or next year since 2-3 years ago, I doubt they can significantly delay it considering they'd lose access to production lines for who knows how long? 1 year? 2 years? The situation is dire in that regard due to the SC shortage. Since Devkits have been allegedly out since late 2020, it means they started to lay the groundwork for the release at least 2 years ago, plus requested the production lines years ago (or maybe a year ago, someone with more knowledge on this can correct me if my assessment is wrong) too, just to have a slot to fit in so they can get the parts they want. They probably didn't expect the Switch to keep selling so well they can barely keep up with the demand so long after it came out, but who would?

However, they threw the snowball down the hill and now it's rolling down, the only way to stop it is to cancel the whole thing and I doubt both they and Nvidia would want that, there is no reason to.

Maybe they can price the new Switch higher and let it be a premium item for enthusiasts for a while and slash the price 3 years later (or never if it keep selling forever like the current one is). Unless their entire plan since 2020 was to launch it in 2024, I doubt it'll launch later than 2023.​

Like I said before, even just the few details that are solidly rumored about Dane place it pretty far outside "performant SKU" territory. It won't be the largest generational leap ever, but it doesn't need to be. Several of the new hardware features specifically enable improved efficiency, which will let developers do more with less.

Also, what's the point in doing a "performant SKU" when software has reached a point where anything you'd want to do with such a system could be done with the successor instead? It's a lot less work for both Nintendo and third parties when there are fewer distinct performance targets that have to be dealt with, especially on a hybrid system like the Switch which already creates more work than usual on that front.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom