• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

It does not look very good at all (though the art being so bad is harming the visual quality a lot).

This looks nowhere close to like 3D World visually.
what are you talking about? why a comparison to 3d world of all games when the art style is extremely different? and in what world did that look bad?? are you buying awful youtube compression as the look for the actual game?

Back to being excited about new hardware again.

It can now show up at any point. Theoretically, we might only be one day away, like we aren't but it's no longer an impossibility like it was before we had the direct.

Back to being excited about new hardware again.

It can now show up at any point. Theoretically, we might only be one day away, like we aren't but it's no longer an impossibility like it was before we had the direct.

September feels like the best spot. Prior to TGS, so thirds are free to do whatever at TGS.

And they can show some games they confirm as cross-gen afterwards, so they wouldn't necessarily need another Switch Direct.

It was a bunch of really quick cuts that showed no gameplay details and was just a "DO YOU REMEMBER METROID PRIME 1" over and over again. This looks like a really fast and desperately thrown together trailer.

how much do you eat that you're able to literally shit on everything with your posts?

Anyway, it had scans and morph ball and a little action and the main bad guy (maybe? too soon to know for sure) and a huge open area. Seems like plenty even if it wasn't the most thrilling or compelling.

Nintendo did a great job with the lead up to Dread releasing. So even if this is not the best first impression (since it's just a quick re-introduction), I'm sure they'll make up for it in due time.

Last edited:
Nintendo's already changed up their release timing a bunch this year so it could easily be nothing, but that Mario and Luigi release date gives me some pause. That's very early in November.

"Is this game with just absurd amounts of aliasing actually a Switch 2 game????" no.

_4277863b.jpg

I just want to say, I don’t think we’re getting the next switch this fiscal year after that direct.
I’m expecting something like may 2025 or even September 2025 now.
And I don’t think prime 4 is crossgen.

I just want to say, I don’t think we’re getting the next switch this fiscal year after that direct.
I’m expecting something like may 2025 or even September 2025 now.
And I don’t think prime 4 is crossgen.
What gives you that impression? I don't think anything in that Direct spoke especially strongly on hardware release date, but if anything, it would point in the opposite direction.

If Prime 4 is dynamic 900p 60 like Remastered, then it could potentially hit dynamic 2160p without DLSS (via napkin math - (3840x2160) / (1600x900) = 5.76, Switch 2 GPU is 6x Switch 1), or just native 1440p with DLSS Quality to 4K and room for additional visual enhancements. It may not be the visual showcase for Switch 2 since it's still a Switch 1 game at its core, but it can be a visual showcase.

If Prime 4 is dynamic 900p 60 like Remastered, then it could potentially hit dynamic 2160p without DLSS (via napkin math - (3840x2160) / (1600x900) = 5.76, Switch 2 GPU is 6x Switch 1), or just native 1440p with DLSS Quality to 4K and room for additional visual enhancements. It may not be the visual showcase for Switch 2 since it's still a Switch 1 game at its core, but it can be a visual showcase.

I mean, it could but it would probably be better to add in DLSS as Prime 4 is just plagued by aliasing everywhere (like all Switch 1 games pretty much)

IMHO, the Prime 4 trailer just showed that it really needed it to be a Switch 2 Exclusive Title due to the development reboot and the Switch 1 showing its age. Prime 1 on the GC is still the most impressive looking games of its generation both artistically and graphically. The atmosphere for that game is still immersive to this day/ On the other Prime 4, looks like a low budget spinoff

I can only go with what I seen, I have nephews, neices etc all play Switch and have 1 each. 8inch us really big it's about a size of a Steam Deck, this will definitely alienate the kids market.

3DS was more successful than Wii U. Switch success is definitely due to the hybrid nature. So in my opinion they should really prioritise handheld comfort first than the TV mode. Going with 7inch 720p is more beneficial for handheld mode than going 8inch 1080p
The size is close to Rog Ally than Steam deck:

asus-rog-ally-hands-on-11.jpg

And more than 80% of Nintendo Switch players are not small children:
Screen_20Shot_202017-10-31_20at_2015_08_06.png

Besides children can play fine on a Rog Ally's size machine.
anyone-elses-ally-get-taken-over-by-kids-lol-v0-IrBFJp0xkisqEV2PW-aH2rh6fDUCIW7FWpW9XXjGKsA.jpg

And a bigger screen is better to play on Tabletop mode, specially on multiplayer:
FHJnK-7XwAgzr3w

So, children will not have trouble. They will love it in the end. Us too, of course.

IMHO, the Prime 4 trailer just showed that it really needed it to be a Switch 2 Exclusive Title due to the development reboot and the Switch 1 showing its age. Prime 1 on the GC is still the most impressive looking games of its generation both artistically and graphically. The atmosphere for that game is still immersive to this day/ On the other Prime 4, looks like a low budget spinoff

The series in general is in a really bad spot and has been since Prime 3 as the series sold itself on being so much more technically advanced than every game out there... And now the series is forever confined to low spec hardware.

I thought they would have changed the games dramatically to make up for no longer being able to being visually impressive compared to its peers like Doom, but they haven't done that at all...

Something I noticed - I think Stray is using FSR2? The look of the foliage in the opening has a classic FSR smeary look, and the temporal ghosting is obvious, especially in this section

Low res GIF isn't the best method of communication, but I think you can see how the cat is ghosted through this section. It is 100% a temporal upscaler, but it so screams FSR2 that I would be surprised if it was something else.

I know AMD worked on building a custom FSR2 Switch implementation for No Man's Sky but the trick that made that work is that NMS uses a single shader for all post-processing, including the upscaling. So the work done there isn't just a drop in Switch version that can go in any game.

While there are some god awful sections of the game, for the most part, I think this is a pretty impressive showing on the Switch, at least going by the stream.

It might also be a good visual comparison how BC looks likes.

Like Furukawa can come in stage and say ,,We will offer upgrades to older Switch title, by increasing the resolution and fps, here’s a comparison between prime 4 on Switch vs the Switch 2, the Switch Vera runs at 900p/60, meanwhile the Switch 2 version is 4K/60’’:

"Is this game with just absurd amounts of aliasing actually a Switch 2 game????" no.
The series in general is in a really bad spot and has been since Prime 3 as the series sold itself on being so much more technically advanced than every game out there... And now the series is forever confined to low spec hardware.

I thought they would have changed the games dramatically to make up for no longer being able to being visually impressive compared to its peers like Doom, but they haven't done that at all...
can't say i agree at all with this absurd level of pessimism but it hardly matters since i'm near certain you'll be proven wrong lol

Something I noticed - I think Stray is using FSR2? The look of the foliage in the opening has a classic FSR smeary look, and the temporal ghosting is obvious, especially in this section

Low res GIF isn't the best method of communication, but I think you can see how the cat is ghosted through this section. It is 100% a temporal upscaler, but it so screams FSR2 that I would be surprised if it was something else.

I know AMD worked on building a custom FSR2 Switch implementation for No Man's Sky but the trick that made that work is that NMS uses a single shader for all post-processing, including the upscaling. So the work done there isn't just a drop in Switch version that can go in any game.

While there are some god awful sections of the game, for the most part, I think this is a pretty impressive showing on the Switch, at least going by the stream.

Could be one of the built in Unreal temporal scalers. Several recent Unreal games use those on Switch to some very ghost-y results.

This never happened

Metroid Prime was the best looking game ever made as of 2002 and it was absolutely selling itself on being the best looking game ever made.

Probably part of the reason why it sold so well when it was unmatched visually and why Prime 2 and Prime 3 sold so much worse when Half Life 2 and Doom 3 outclassed them visually.

My personal take, is that Prime 4 being a cross gen title is the biggest chance of making Metroid reach mass appeal.

Also lying to consumers and not releasing on the Switch would be absolutely stupid.
Also I’ve been hearing and seeing people being disappointed with they way Prime 4 looks, which is surprising me, since the game looks absolutely fantastic and to boot, it’s running at 60fps

Overall, after this direct, I’m even more confident with the Switch 2, since keeping the momentum of the Switch, will be extremely important for the Switch 2, since all the game showcased, we’re AA title, which is exciting, since we still have the Switch 2 reveal trailer and the showcase of all the AAA Switch 2 exclusives.

Also 2D Zelda, Zelda, makes me unbelievably happy.

I've noticed similar ghosting in the Metroid Prime 4 trailer as well - around 1:38 when the birds are flying by.

Overall, after this direct, I’m even more confident with the Switch 2, since keeping the momentum of the Switch, will be extremely important for the Switch 2, since all the game showcased, we’re AA title, which is exciting, since we still have the Switch 2 reveal trailer and the showcase of all the AAA Switch 2 exclusives.

Do you consider MP4 AA ? I think it's an AAA even though it's not movie-like

I do think both Zelda and Metroid in this direct have their rough points (I still think they look beautiful), but man. I wasn't expecting to hear 'low budget spinoff' and "recycled funko pops" in relation to Metroid Prime 4 and a new 2D Zelda today.

I can only go with what I seen, I have nephews, neices etc all play Switch and have 1 each. 8inch us really big it's about a size of a Steam Deck, this will definitely alienate the kids market.

3DS was more successful than Wii U. Switch success is definitely due to the hybrid nature. So in my opinion they should really prioritise handheld comfort first than the TV mode. Going with 7inch 720p is more beneficial for handheld mode than going 8inch 1080p
The Steam Deck's 'hugeness' is compounded by its width and its thickness. It's about 1.5 times the thickness of the current Switch (the tablet portion), and it's very wide to accommodate the touchpads. It's also heavier. This has a particularly big effect on comfort and portability.

I've heard the same kind of concern when the original Switch was revealed but it didn't pan out that way. Kids play with iPads and those lack actual controls to grip onto unlike the Switch.

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

My personal take, is that Prime 4 being a cross gen title is the biggest chance of making Metroid reach mass appeal.

Also lying to consumers and not releasing on the Switch would be absolutely stupid.
Also I’ve been hearing and seeing people being disappointed with they way Prime 4 looks, which is surprising me, since the game looks absolutely fantastic and to boot, it’s running at 60fps

Also 2D Zelda, Zelda, makes me unbelievably happy.

No, I don't think they should have lied to consumers or anything, I think the series just needed to find any selling point other than "technically superior to its peers" as the series is forever on low-spec hardware moving forward. Zelda has been great about finding selling points other than its visuals and many other Nintendo games as well.

Prime 4 didn't suggest anything new or unique or a "this is why you should be interested in this game" in its trailer which seems very bad.

What’s everyone’s thoughts about BC and how it’ll work for the system.

Since the biggest surprise, was that DK returns will be releasing at 2025, which makes me interested, if Prime 4, would be the perfect BC showcase, similar how certain PS4 and Xbox one titles got a small boost in performances, but can the Switch 2 offer 4K/60, for certain titles that’s currently releasing, for example Prime 4 and DK returns.

Since the biggest surprise, was that DK returns will be releasing at 2025, which makes me interested, if Prime 4, would be the perfect BC showcase, similar how certain PS4 and Xbox one titles got a small boost in performances, but can the Switch 2 offer 4K/60, for certain titles that’s currently releasing, for example Prime 4 and DK returns.

They will need to add a TAA step to clean up most Switch 1 games. Switch 1 games without aliasing can look really good, but that needs DLSS.

Prime 4 looks like peak Switch 1 Visuals. It‘s super impressive. If this get‘s updated with a next gen patch or is indeed cross-gen this will be an absolute stunner.

My hope is that every game will run in docked graphic mode, regardless if its played portably.

My expectation is that it will max out dynamic res and fps cap at all times in most titles, and otherwise be identical.

I'm happy to say that the dlss 3.5 pair of Death Stranding upgrades seem to have gone further, I've felt basically no blurring, but for some reason there is still flickering of the scene in the over-animation.

There are no 60 FPS games on Switch, the games you were playing were all streaming from discreet Switch 2 servers hosted by Nintendo and the shadowmasters.
Like that Aliens meme "I am not saying Switch 2, but Switch 2" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well, do you mean like change it to open world or?

Metroid Prime was the best looking game ever made as of 2002 and it was absolutely selling itself on being the best looking game ever made.

Probably part of the reason why it sold so well when it was unmatched visually and why Prime 2 and Prime 3 sold so much worse when Half Life 2 and Doom 3 outclassed them visually.
Again, this never happened. It was never sold as "the best looking game ever made". I'm sure that statement was gameFAQs forum fodder at the time whenever anyone observed its use of various fixed function shader tricks on the gamecube but it has nothing to do with how the game was presented to the mass market, nor were Prime 2 or 3. 99% of positive coverage of the game was in relation to it delivering the Metroid experience in 3D in the same way OoT/Mario 64 transitioned their series to 3D successfully. The sales arc of the sequels is easily explained, not just by the generally inconsistent sales performance of pre-Dread Metroid, but by

1) the usual 2nd-game falloff for a sequel on an already underperforming console (Prime 2)
2) Prime 3 being completely lost in the shuffle of circa 2007 Wii releases as the 3rd game in a generation-spanning trilogy, aimed at a customer base that western Wii marketing was not equipped to market effectively

Nobody in any serious numbers in the early 00s was looking at Doom 3 or HL2 and the Prime games and using their graphics as the basis of weighing up a console/game purchase. Especially when the console ports of Doom3/HL2 are so compromised that they are the "miracle ports" of their day rather than the full-fat PC releases, which were the actual graphical showpieces.

Like that Aliens meme "I am not saying Switch 2, but Switch 2" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well, do you mean like change it to open world or?

It does not have to be open world at all, lol. You can add different movement options, different enemies, enemies actually responding to being hit, environmental interaction, a totally new way of interacting with enemies (like Zelda did), more stealth... There's a lot of options and this trailer suggested none of them.

MP4 is AAA, but the other title shown in the direct were AA, like 2D Zelda and Mario and Luigi, also Mario party.
We have to change phrases. If we go by how it sells than Skull amd Bones is a niche indie game by that measures and we know the budget for that game is through the roof. AAA is about the budget of a game and MP4 has been in the making for 5 years of course it is a AAA.

Should Nintendo shown of the Switch 2 version? I thought so
It does not have to be open world at all, lol. You can add different movement options, different enemies, enemies actually responding to being hit, environmental interaction, a totally new way of interacting with enemies (like Zelda did), more stealth... There's a lot of options and this trailer suggested none of them.
Well, that's fair, that's more than fair. Truth be told. This game could have started over and be a switch 2 exclusive and have all the bell and whistle, visually, and I still will agree that it needs more. I don't want to blame retro director themselves. I always I feel like this is a Tanabe call. However, I do think we need to wait and see what is new.

They will need to add a TAA step to clean up most Switch 1 games. Switch 1 games without aliasing can look really good, but that needs DLSS.
I think the game that needs a good clean up (and I don't know what it uses) is Xenoblade 1.... and 2... and the whole series.

It was a bunch of really quick cuts that showed no gameplay details and was just a "DO YOU REMEMBER METROID PRIME 1" over and over again. This looks like a really fast and desperately thrown together trailer.
I agree with you btw, but I felt the same with TOTK until the last trailer. The final TOTK trailer is one of the best video game trailer of all time. I trust Nintendo to provide us with a banger Metroid Prime 4 trailer before its release. With that being said, I still hold on my opinion that they shouldn't have shown it today. There was absolutely no reason to show Metroid Prime 4 today with that trailer but maybe that's just me. Especially if its cross-gen. Was hoping for Tomodachi/Rhythm Heaven to end the show.

I agree with you btw, but I felt the same with TOTK until the last trailer. The final TOTK trailer is one of the best video game trailer of all time. I trust Nintendo to provide us with a banger Metroid Prime 4 trailer before its release.

Yeah, hopefully there's some major hooks to show, but I would be confused why they would even show Prime 4 seven years later if they had none of the hook to show.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom