• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I think it would depend on the game. A game could be made with Switch in mind and then up-ported to Switch 2. It doesn't necessarily have to mean that these are games without a solid SKU already set for Switch that will be significantly compromised to make things work. For example, I bet Sonic X Shadow Generations is a game that will be "fine" on Switch yet also has a Switch 2 version in development. Prince of Persia is a recent game that I could see matching this kind of category, but we'll see if it gets a Switch 2 version. All of that said, I absolutely won't be surprised if there are games that target Switch 2/PS5/XSX/Switch (and maybe PS4/XB1) where the Switch version ends up ROUGH. With my fingers crossed, I'll say that any games releasing in a rough state on Switch this year due to scaling down from the current gen systems will hopefully get upgraded once Switch 2 releases.

The thing is that the post I was replying to specifically described them as games that are being made for Switch 2 but have Switch versions purely due to the sales potential of the massive install base. That carries implications that they might really not belong on Switch and are only getting a barely-working version for the $$$, similar to something like Arkham Knight. Hope nothing ends up THAT bad, although I also wouldn't want the games being held back too severely either.

Maybe we should actually hope Bayonetta doesn't get patched.

Some people played the Ps4 pro version of Eldin Ring on PS5, for stable 60 fps. A patch may bring back the dips.
I didnt mean it in a way that it will be patched. From what I remember, bayo3 caps at 60frames on switch. But it had a lot of dips to 50-55 in massive combats. With the new console I guess that just with the extra hardware, the experience will be much more stable.

THe main Switch 1 games i am going to try on Switch 2 are Shin Megami Tensei V, Bayonetta 3, TOTK, and Age of calamity

SMTV, from what I've heard, is a game that looks like a full-blown remaster when you emulate it. Like, you could swear that the assets and such had all been redone, when it's literally just at a higher resolution.

At worst you'll get stable 60fps on Bayonetta and locked maximum resolution in both.

That's enough for me tbh. I think that's what we'll get, games with dynamic resolution will stay at their max resolution and will have a more stable framerate, the hardware just "brute forcing" the game.

I don't even have a 4K TV lol

SMTV, from what I've heard, is a game that looks like a full-blown remaster when you emulate it. Like, you could swear that the assets and such had all been redone, when it's literally just at a higher resolution.

Looks pretty incredible, doesn't stop the game being mid tho ^_^

jk

I didnt mean it in a way that it will be patched. From what I remember, bayo3 caps at 60frames on switch. But it had a lot of dips to 50-55 in massive combats. With the new console I guess that just with the extra hardware, the experience will be much more stable.
I know what you mean, but what I meant that if it's patched they may bring some of those dips back again. If they don't patch it, it might be stable.

I‘ve not been playing my Switch apart from a SMO replay and Metroid Prime Remastered in anticipation of Switch 2.
I‘ll have
  • TotK
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Super Mario Wonder
  • Pikmin 4
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
to play.
Desperately hoping for patches.

At worst it just plays almost the same due to some switch emulation mode. or maybe they stick an x1 in there
Some form of BC is better than no BC at all of course, but that would still be a bummer if Switch 1 games could not run any faster on Switch 2.

It was disappointing on the New 3DS even though most 3/DS games ran just fine natively, but many Switch 1 games really struggle to run. I shelved quite a few these last few years waiting for the hypothetical Switch 2/Pro (Age of Calamity, both Ni no Kuni, Astral Chain, the Outer Worlds, ...)

Of course BC with improved performance is easier said than done, but PC and Xbox spoiled me in that regard I guess.

Some form of BC is better than no BC at all of course, but that would still be a bummer if Switch 1 games could not run any faster on Switch 2.

It was disappointing on the New 3DS even though most 3/DS games ran just fine natively, but many Switch 1 games really struggle to run. I shelved quite a few these last few years waiting for the hypothetical Switch 2/Pro (Age of Calamity, both Ni no Kuni, Astral Chain, the Outer Worlds, ...)

Of course BC with improved performance is easier said than done, but PC and Xbox spoiled me in that regard I guess.
Switch BC won't be like the n3ds or Wii U. Getting the same performance as Switch in Drake would be more work than the alternative

I suppose that this "confirmation" about enhancements has to come from new talks between partners, otherwhise Nate would have mentioned it on his podcast...

Exciting!

Another thing that can be added and @necrolipe commented is that there's 3P games that are being developed with Switch 2 in mind but are cross-gen and will have a Switch 1 version due to the latter massive install base. Some of these are supposed to be showed in this week partners. Upcoming weeks are going to be very interesting.

He was a journo at one of Brazil biggest gaming outlets. And also used to be an Era mod. Definitely someone in the knows.
Probably Gotham Knights is part of these games

Just for clarification on the whole MVG no backwards compatibility on Switch 2 statements.
I think where his comments get misconstrued is he's simply saying not to expect it out of the box (without Nintendo+Nvidia coming up with a software solution).

Which he states is very well possible but in doing so they may not be able to 100% guarantee BC with all og Switch games, unless the T239 SoC incorporated legacy Maxwell architecture somewhere... We know this isn't the case and probably should expect Nintendo+Nvidia to have a solution to mitigate BC and be able to market the increased performance and resolutions (probably first on the more popular titles first) that the new Switch 2 hardware can afford.
I remember that there was a lot of discussion about that right here. I remember that many people here were surprised by MVG’s pessimism about software solutions.

In any case my point was not necessarily to formulate a criticism but to distinguish interesting assumptions from proven information.

Staying on the subject of backward compatibility, I also remember miyamoto’s statement at a financial meeting that emulation made backward compatibility much easier but the next console would focus on new games. For some reason, a large part of the observers decided to retain only the new games and to completely ignore the part on emulation facilitating backward compatibility.

Lipe has said that these are games being developed mostly with Switch 2 in mind but Switch 1 version in tandem to take advantage of install base. So anything is fair game. Be it ports of PS4/5 games to upcoming/new releases like Visions or Persona 3 Reload.

He also said that this week Direct will feature some of these games being developed as cross-gen (Of course only the Switch 1 version will be showed for now).
When did Lipe say that? I have missed it

image.png

I have created a monster
Nah this the switch 4

Not happening

March - Presentation
May-July - Release

Is the only logical way of releasing this ting
Nintendo has the DK theme park to advertise, a potential DK game, Fire Emblem 4 remake, Splatoon Side Order, Metroid Prime, various mid-tier remakes and likely other games we do not know... For Nintendo, there is no reason to overshadow these announcements with Switch 2.

Give the last Switch game room to breathe. A November release makes much more sense assuming Switch 2 will be released in 2024, with early/mid-2024 focused on Switch's last hurrah.

Oh sorry, here is the proper specs:
Retroid Pocket 4/4Pro Specifications & Features:

1. RP4 Pro:
    CPU: 4*[email protected] 4*[email protected] GHz
    GPU: G77 MC9@836MHz
    RAM: 8GB LPDDR4x
    Storage: 128GB UFS 3.1 + TF Card Slot
  2. RP4:
    CPU: 2*[email protected] + 6*[email protected]
    GPU: G68 MC4@900MHz
    RAM: 4GB LPDDR4x
    Storage: 128GB UFS 3.1 + TF Card Slot
  3. Touch screen: 4.7 inch, 750x1334@60fps, 500nits
  4. Heat Dissapation: Active-cooling
  5. 5000mAh battery
  6. Analogue L2/R2
  7. 3D hall sticks
  8. BT 5.2&Wi-Fi 6
  9. Official OTA support for incremental software upgrade
You jinxed it man. We're getting 4 A78s and 4 A55s on Switch 2.. but with those those clock speeds
Seems to me like that'd be a waste. If it's going to use DLSS docked, it probably will handheld as well. And if it's not going to use DLSS at all... that's just throwing performance away. "7 out of 10 look better native" sounds good, but "20-60% better frame rate, and still matches native in stills 3 out of 10 times" also sounds good
Almost forgot about handheld (not the original poster, but I replied) 720p internal on handheld DLSS to 1080p and 1080p internal and dlss'd to 1440p on docked for some games could certainly be a thing.

Gonna be really interesting to see how many modes devs are willing to work on with switch 2.
2026 seen to soon for a new Legend of Zelda game, 2028 seen more likely when the next Legend of Zelda is released,i believe Nintendo will make the next Animal Crossing a priority, so the should release in 2025 istead of 2027.
I'm not talking about the scope of Totk and botw. I think a smaller game could release sooner.

I’m sure 6 is quite a ways out, but is there a remake of Oblivion coming at some point? That would be cool to see on Switch 2.
I need to correct myself. I meant baulders gate

Nintendo has the DK theme park to advertise, a potential DK game, Fire Emblem 4 remake, Splatoon Side Order, Metroid Prime, various mid-tier remakes and likely other games we do not know... For Nintendo, there is no reason to overshadow these announcements with Switch 2.

Give the last Switch game room to breathe. A November release makes much more sense assuming Switch 2 will be released in 2024, with early/mid-2024 focused on Switch's last hurrah.
If they announce it, some of those things will already be at risk of being overshadowed - to say nothing of the fact that we don't know when many are being released or revealed, and of the fact that backwards compatibility means their sales would largely be unaffected.

Besides, they're already technically going to be "hindering" their own potential Switch 1 sales by revealing the new console next month. I think there's a reason they say "the current business situation does not affect the introduction of new hardware" - if it did, they'd never release the thing, because there'd always be some valid reason to put it off, right up until their software slate was completely empty.

Way I see it, it could come out basically anytime this year (except for maybe tomorrow).

I’m not celebrating this BC news because I already expected it. Nintendo does it time and time again unless they have to change format from disc to cartridge or vice versa.

If they announce it, some of those things will already be at risk of being overshadowed - to say nothing of the fact that we don't know when many are being released or revealed, and of the fact that backwards compatibility means their sales would largely be unaffected.

Besides, they're already technically going to be "hindering" their own potential Switch 1 sales by revealing the new console next month. I think there's a reason they say "the current business situation does not affect the introduction of new hardware" - if it did, they'd never release the thing, because there'd always be some valid reason to put it off, right up until their software slate was completely empty.

Way I see it, it could come out basically anytime this year (except for maybe tomorrow).
True, but it's not a black-and-white situation, and they are probably looking for a trade-off between maximizing the potential of those games (especially high-profile ones, the likes of Luigi's Mansion 2 HD are filler) and announcing the damn thing. A March announcement would virtually kill every new Switch release, except for a hypothetical new Pokémon game.

BC can help later Switch games, but only to a certain extent - if you know both are coming, you are more likely to get Mario 3D for Switch 2 than the 2D DK platform for Switch 1.

This is turning out to be a great console, man. If they also announce it with another big system for NSO and a few notable titles for the launch window, then I really can't complain, despite some inevitable gripes that come with every console.

This is turning out to be a great console, man. If they also announce it with another big system for NSO and a few notable titles for the launch window, then I really can't complain, despite some inevitable gripes that come with every console.
What if the gripe is that it hasn’t any gripes?/s

Splatoon Side Order is releasing in 11 days, and we still know very little. A good reason why the next Direct will not be a partner.

Peach Showtime will be the March game. We still do not know the April and May games, and I believe they'll be Fire Emblem 4r and a new 2D Donkey Kong, which will be announced in the next Direct.

Paper Mario 2 can work as our summer game. At this point, Nintendo has run out of high-profile Switch games, and they can announce the successor in September (or late summer) for a November release. They will still release games for Switch 1, and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD will be a good example (in time for Halloween).

A March announcement would virtually kill every new Switch release, except for a hypothetical new Pokémon game.
Assuming they release these late-gen Switch 1 games on the successor natively as well, I don't entirely disagree with this, but on the other hand, there's a lot of smoke indicating a March reveal, so I don't really know that what "makes sense" from an outside perspective is necessarily going to be what actually happens.

Realistic expectations are worse than high ones, because disappointment is atleast better than apathy./s
Bare minimum BC is probably the best expectations we should have. Even then, it would mean more stable framerates for games like Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom and less reliance on the Dynamic resolution used in the Xenoblade titles, and would mean that the docked versions of most titles can run pretty well in handheld mode resulting in games.

Yeah it's not the most impressive stuff, but it's still something. I do wish for more improvements on top of this (including hopefully a way to increase texture resolutions through an update), but I'm fine with half-assed BC in this case if only because there's already a lot that can be done without really updating the games any further.

It's not the BC news I'm celebrating, it's the fact that more and more people seem to be in the know and are reporting on it, increasing the vibes for a March reveal.
It does seem to be spreading. It's kind of weird that the Switch 2 was as niche as a topic as it was, but I think it's because the "Switch Pro" rumors kinda burned a lot of people a few years ago. We still have a bit of information left before we fully know what's going to happen, but i'm pretty happy with the way things are progressing.

Don't underestimate Nintendo. @oldpuck once brought up an example where they patched framedrops when you view the menu back into paper Mario 64 if I recall.
I mentioned it in the past, that would be the most Nintendo thing ever to somehow downclock Drake to X1 level of performance in BC mode 😂

I'm not really expecting them to do it though. How likely is it that Nvidia has managed to fit an X1 in the larger Switch 2?

I mentioned it in the past, that would be the most Nintendo thing ever to somehow downclock Drake to X1 level of performance in BC mode 😂

I'm not really expecting them to do it though. How likely is it that Nvidia has managed to fit an X1 in the larger Switch 2?

Its as likely as the percentage chance Nintendo is willing to deal with cost/size opportunity cost. Per rumors, We may already have our answer to that particular part as everything we see suggests its gonna be a big boy

I think there are a few others...but I'm pretty sure that in this particular case, they just reused the PS5 footage, so this doesn't really mean all that much
I'm pretty sure this happens often with Nintendo trailers, as there's very little point in getting new footage for a trailer that'll just end up looking worse than the other versions. Is it a bit scummy and manipulative? Arguably yes, but it's not the first nor the last time this will happen. Hell, I expect this to happen more with Switch 2 games just because of how closer aligned the Switch 2 will be with modern home-console hardware, so it's harder to point out.

Have people been talking about why this trailer is 4K 60fps? Are there any other 4K60fps Nintendo Channel videos?

think in most cases Nintendo will simply upload the footage given by third party publishers so in this case it's probably Sega not bothering recording Switch footage for their reveal trailer.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom