• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

No Kepler wasn't saying that. Was mostly posting for some additional context about that Github file and for some comments I saw elsewhere (mostly Reddit) concluding that this somehow provides additional support to the 8N claims.

Edit: Thank you as well for explaining what the class files are specifically for, you provided a lot better detail than I did!
I have seen the Reddit post talking about Kepler. As expected, most of the comments/replies were brushing OP off because it's old information>

But I didn't see the part where it was used to claim it's 8N - what was the reasoning anyway? (did it come from Kepler himself?)

Quoted by: LiC
TGA:

A Trailer starts, no Switch Logo at the beginning.

Dark Hallway with blueish light, a person slowly walking down - is that?

Fast paced cuts to different Gameplay scenes and panoramic shots - is it really?, but it looks good, too good.

Then back to the dark hallway. Yes! There she is, it really is Samus!

Cut to the Logo of Metroid Prime 4, Nintendo Logo. Though no mentioning of the Switch. Platform(s): TBA

Discussion until January of what it means.
Something like this could destroy internet

That's an interesting theory. And that would imply the Switch 2 being announced March or earlier (cause Nintendo would naturally want to talk about Switch 2 before 3rd parties).
Makes sense to me too when I think about it.

"Sorry, I cannot talk about it, but wait till March 2024". Because they signed NDAs. No context too, which is why Nate cannot attach March 2024 to something more specific.

TGA:

A Trailer starts, no Switch Logo at the beginning.

Dark Hallway with blueish light, a person slowly walking down - is that?

Fast paced cuts to different Gameplay scenes and panoramic shots - is it really?, but it looks good, too good.

Then back to the dark hallway. Yes! There she is, it really is Samus!

Cut to the Logo of Metroid Prime 4, Nintendo Logo. Though no mentioning of the Switch. Platform(s): TBA

Discussion until January of what it means.

Sounds great but to add more to the hype have a black screen in the beginning that has the Switch click but make it two clicks.

I have seen the Reddit post talking about Kepler. As expected, most of the comments/replies were brushing OP off because it's old information>

But I didn't see the part where it was used to claim it's 8N - what was the reasoning anyway? (did it come from Kepler himself?)
I did see some comments elsewhere with that mistaken impression, and in that case I think it was basically just getting stuck on the fact that AMPERE_A happens to comprise the one current Ampere GPU using a TSMC node (A100) while AMPERE_B comprises everything else which currently all use a Samsung node. That's just a coincidence, though. No other node splits are represented by the classes, and the majority of the other splits are there within families despite all that family's GPUs using the same node/foundry.

I was looking at old NeoGAF Switch threads after the announcement to remind myself of it. People expected it to be $249 (some were going as low as $199) and when $299 was confirmed, people were dooming the console so hard. Like the way the reactions went you would of thought Nintendo pulled a Sony E3 2006 and priced it $599 US dollars.

Now we would be lucky for the Switch 2 to be $299 lol.

I thought 299$ was on the high side but okay, but that Joycons and Pro Controller prices were silly high and I stand by that. A controller should not cost 70$.

I way overestimated how much people would care though. I'm taking the L on that one. I think tech consumers are more price insensitive in a post-smartphone world.

The optimist in me says "Switch 2". The pessimist in me says "Xbox Series". Normally you wouldn't expect to see a game like this on Xbox, but Microsoft has shown a greater willingness to chase after anime games in recent times.
lol at the people thinking it's for Xbox
it could very well be both...or just either really! (at least for the near future)

in favor for the Switch is that MiHoYo has still consistently been on the record that the Switch version of Genshin Impact "is still in development" as recently as September last year and they could've easily given a non-answer if they're not interested on porting the game anymore.
MiHoYo has been working hard on pushing its technological advancements in several other areas, too, such as upcoming improved support for PS5 players using DualSense controllers. And MiHoYo confirmed that the announced Switch version is still in development, though it couldn't give further details.

in favor for Xbox is as topsekret already mentioned:
Phil threw money at Persona. He could throw money at this.

on the other hand, this is the thing that could go against Xbox's favor:
For the two years since it first released, Genshin Impact has been console exclusive to PlayStation, with a new report saying Xbox failed to reach a deal with developer MiHoYo while it was still in development.
A recent Reuters report looks into Microsoft's focus on the Chinese game industry, citing missing out on Genshin Impact as one of the reasons behind its increased interest in the region.
An anonymous source quoted by Reuters claims that Xbox spoke to MiHoYo (now HoYoverse) when Genshin Impact was early in development but didn't reach a deal, something Microsoft now has regrets about. Another source claims that this experience is driving Microsoft's current search to recruit Chinese developers. They added that Genshin Impact has made a lot of money for Sony, though just how much is unclear, as there is no publicly available data for the game's revenue on PlayStation.
also mentioned in this article...
HoYoverse has recently confirmed that Genshin Impact is still in development for the Nintendo Switch, leaving Xbox as the only console the game hasn't currently been announced for.

Hello all, sorry if I missed this discussion, but there are too many new pages to see everything discussed.
Question: would Nintendo not see a big shortfall in revenue next year with just remakes and the PPeach game ? Like can they afford to have more than just a few months without a massive seller? Guess that would show in their numbers.
That would imply that either 1) there are unannounced big games (you need just one ok) yet slated for H1 of next year, 2) the new console is coming in that timeframe.
I mean they know any of the big games they might have in stock has the potential to sell like crazy on the current hardware (would be risky to ride just Peach, a new license, during a whole semester no?). And since for long term management of income prospects they probably should keep all their big games for switch 2, then tempted to say ytd's direct is consistent with H124?
Thanks!

"Thinking he heard something..." the hell is this?

The mention of March was repeated numerous time and it wasn't in passing. March was stated, specifically, and a talking point at Gamescom. It came up in all conversations around the successor. The only unknown was to which it was referring -- be it launch, an announcement, a reveal, or a deadline for games to target.
Can I ask why they would need to inform developers on when they announce the platform ? Please feel free to ignore if ridiculous or is not something you want to answer for now.

Can I ask why they would need to inform developers on when they announce the platform ? Please feel free to ignore if ridiculous or is not something you want to answer for now.
So they can work on getting games ready to be showcased at the announcement or shortly after with marketing materials? Why wouldn't you tell companies when you intend to announce the console? Nintendo isn't the only one marketing games for their system.

So they can work on getting games ready to be showcased at the announcement or shortly after with marketing materials? Why wouldn't you tell companies when you intend to announce the console? Nintendo isn't the only one marketing games for their system.
But I don't think you need a game to be ready to market it, and having a system announcement date will not make you develop it faster.
A system release date, however.. also thinking that marketing teams should be working on material without needing a 6-month heads up.
And if it were the announcement, would people not have said it ? If it were that, maybe H1 would not float in the air anymore. Sorry I m mixing things up a bit, but that s what you do when you have no insider knowledge at all :).

But I don't think you need a game to be ready to market it, and having a system announcement date will not make you develop it faster.
A system release date, however.. also thinking that marketing teams should be working on material without needing a 6-month heads up.
And if it were the announcement, would people not have said it ? If it were that, maybe H1 would not float in the air anymore. Sorry I m mixing things up a bit, but that s what you do when you have no insider knowledge at all :).
Getting a game in a showable state, and then cutting a trailer/demo/vertical slice/etc., requires significant dev work. Developers need that target on their roadmap to plan around, and so need to be informed well in advance. It's not something a marketing team can just create out of thin air.

The only reason I think the process node is interesting from a Nintendo Switch 2 point of view - when I was holding on hard for the idea of 8nm, I just had to believe in bargain basement clocks. Like, well below peak efficiency, because as we'd discussed before marginal gains are still gains.

Once I really started to think about 4N as possible, then it made the device not just seem more possible, but more sensical. If you've got to clock well below peak efficiency to get your battery life where you want it, why not cut SMs, and clock higher? 8SMs at peak efficiency would offer more performance than 12SMs at bargain basement clocks, while also offering comparable battery life, and being a cheaper chip to make!

4NM seemed like an implausible choice at the time, but it started to make various decisions line up - and once I considered 4NM, I could really think about what the range of clock speeds would be, which is where I switched from thinking of a 6x perf leap (the CUDA core numbers) as a max, to thinking of it as a floor

I still try not to get too hyped up by performance numbers, but it is more fun that way ;)
It's been a while so i don't remember exactly when it happened, but there was that one claim being made some time ago where Nintendo recalled dev-kits from several developers, but i don't know if this even turned out to be true or not. And way before that there was also the claim about 11 developers who got dev-kits for a 4K Switch as well.

Maybe that 4K Switch dev-kit was an early version on a 8nm node lacking portability with only a rough estimate of what the specs are going to be (wasn't this claimed to be based on Turing too?) and the new ones that are now being sent out to developers are the finalized Ampere based version with a better node and proper portability to test out handheld mode and battery life and such?

Or was this just the cancelled Switch Pro dev-kit that got reworked into the OLED Switch? (Because the OLED Dock is theoretically capable of outputting 4K)

I'm still very much expecting the worst case though, despite what previous rumors, leaks and all the research being done here say, but it's still fun speculating regardless. In the end whether it'll be 8nm or 5nm doesn't matter since we now have a pretty good idea on what the device will be capable of even without knowing the exact clock rates, and personally, i expected worse. Really curious to see how new games & ports will look and run on this thing if a device with target specs was able to run the Matrix Awakens demo with RT and Zelda BotW in 4K60 without load times no problem. I play almost exclusively docked too, so battery life is not a concern for me.

Getting a game in a showable state, and then cutting a trailer/demo/vertical slice/etc., requires significant dev work. Developers need that target on their roadmap to plan around, and so need to be informed well in advance. It's not something a marketing team can just create out of thin air.
Alright then, point taken. Thank you !
Probably just me trying to see what I want to see. But so based on yesterday's direct, has the consensus over the release date moved in any direction ?

Indie devs were invited to the Switch 2 demos, I doubt they cooking farm games and pixel art games for the grand reveal

in favor for the Switch is that MiHoYo has still consistently been on the record that the Switch version of Genshin Impact "is still in development" as recently as September last year and they could've easily given a non-answer if they're not interested on porting the game anymore.
Yeah...I remember that article, but I'm not sure I believe them. Game was announced nearly 4 years ago. Granted, many Switch games were announced early and went radio silent for many years before finally re-emerging (SMT V, Bayonetta 3). But this is a live service game, which means simply launching it isn't enough-they have to support it for a certain period of time and make their money back gradually through microtransactions. It doesn't make sense for them to release a game like that this late in the Switch life cycle. If anything, they quietly moved it to Switch 2.

But so based on yesterday's direct, has the consensus over the release date moved in any direction ?
IMO, it seems to further cement H2 2024 (as opposed to H1 2024). Nintendo didn't fully announce all their Switch projects this Direct. They're saving some Switch announcements for the Feb. 2024 Direct, like the FE4 remake. Maybe even MP4, though there's a case that could be made that that will be positioned as a cross gen game. I think Feb. 2024 will be the last all-Switch Direct and we'll get a Switch 2 announcement after that.

After reading a lot and thinking and reading replies in this thread i'm losing my hype-train. I have switch1 oled, bought it for botw. Hyped my life and enjoyed totk a lot. But the further away release of switch2 goes, the less i'm inclined to buy into the nintendo ecosystem. I'm 95% certain we have BC, but it's not 100% unless nintendo says so.

No intestring games released that would make me go all bananas. No wwhd, no mp4, no finalfantasy games (since i'm hoping they come for switch2 so ofc not released on switch1). So the longer nintendo plays coy and doesn't release any information, my hype and intrest to the system is waning. I'm intriguied about the system on a hw level, i like reading leaks. But if the release goes till H2 i'm gonna lose intrest a lot. I wanna play botw and totk on switch2 with patches. I'll pay for them if need be. Those are the games i want to play. If possible i want to play FF7remake and shit with switch2. I don't want to own multiple consoles to play, i want to play selected few games and i want to own 1 console. I'm all in digital so i'm hoping my library can be just transferred and i can sell my switch1.

But until nintendo actually does something, i'm losing intrest, not playing since there are hardly games i want to play, and not buying any new games even if they might intrest me because it's not guaranteed i can just move the library onwards.

I'm a bit sad. Everything points to a freaking nice console, but the longer we wait, and nothing happens, the less intrest we have, and the games released do not raise the enthusiasm in the whole, at least not for me. They seem more like death groans of a dying system, not a system which is healthy and is going to get a successor soon while still thriving past the successor, if only for a short while.

After reading a lot and thinking and reading replies in this thread i'm losing my hype-train. I have switch1 oled, bought it for botw. Hyped my life and enjoyed totk a lot. But the further away release of switch2 goes, the less i'm inclined to buy into the nintendo ecosystem. I'm 95% certain we have BC, but it's not 100% unless nintendo says so.

No intestring games released that would make me go all bananas. No wwhd, no mp4, no finalfantasy games (since i'm hoping they come for switch2 so ofc not released on switch1). So the longer nintendo plays coy and doesn't release any information, my hype and intrest to the system is waning. I'm intriguied about the system on a hw level, i like reading leaks. But if the release goes till H2 i'm gonna lose intrest a lot. I wanna play botw and totk on switch2 with patches. I'll pay for them if need be. Those are the games i want to play. If possible i want to play FF7remake and shit with switch2. I don't want to own multiple consoles to play, i want to play selected few games and i want to own 1 console. I'm all in digital so i'm hoping my library can be just transferred and i can sell my switch1.

But until nintendo actually does something, i'm losing intrest, not playing since there are hardly games i want to play, and not buying any new games even if they might intrest me because it's not guaranteed i can just move the library onwards.

I'm a bit sad. Everything points to a freaking nice console, but the longer we wait, and nothing happens, the less intrest we have, and the games released do not raise the enthusiasm in the whole, at least not for me. They seem more like death groans of a dying system, not a system which is healthy and is going to get a successor soon while still thriving past the successor, if only for a short while.

You'll feel differently once the hype rises again. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some more rumours during TGS.

If anything, they quietly moved it to Switch 2.
That's why they say the "Switch version is still in development"...they've been telling us since last year that the next Nintendo console is still a Nintendo Switch 🤭

I pray that this doesn't start an argument over the console name but I wanna point out (if it hasn't been yet) that Eurogamer and VGC straight up said "Switch 2" in their headlines

But last July, they were still calling it the "Switch successor"
Although to be fair, both authors mention "Switch 2" in these articles

You'll feel differently once the hype rises again. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some more rumours during TGS.

I'm certain the leaks of the hardware are going to give me nice feelings, but if the release of the console is going to happen june-september i'm seeing 9 months of boredom. So while i like reading leaks and stuff, and it is intresting to me, it's not going to hype the machine to me since i'm still left in the dark if it's a worthwhile purchase for me personally.

This threadmark is informative for a high level overview. Ditto to what LiC and ILikeFeet said.
Thank you very much. I've just went through it all. Very informative and well done by @oldpuck and @LiC.

@oldpuck Was Sep 2022 the last update we had for T239? That's what I took from your timeline.

Also, when did we find out the "Pro" was cancelled? Couldn't resist the feeling I was reading about the "Pro" all along. Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo was working on a "Pro" at the same time as a Nextgen console. This is normal for companies to do so. And at some point, they decided to drop the Pro (that's well documented here) and just wait a few more years for Nextgen (not documented or leaked anywhere).

Pictured: Nintendo fan sitting too close to their docked 8nm switch 2 when the cooling kicks in.

leaf-blower.gif

Arguments for Samsung's 8 NM:
  • Leaks and hacks heavily suggest an Orin based custom SOC. Oring family is 8nm.
  • Ampere family of (gaming grade) GPUs are also 8nm.
  • Famous Nvidia leaker also says 8nm.
  • It might be cheaper and more readily available than other options.
Arguments for TSMC 4NM:
  • According to deep analysis from members of this community, the leaked specs points towards a chip that would be inefficient for an 8nm chip. An smaller chip would have been more cost effective.
  • Some argue that an 8nm portable chip would not be capable of running the Matrix demo with "comparable" graphics to PS5.
  • 8nm would be very old for a 2024 launch.

Am I missing something?

I would discard the second argument for 4NM: We do not know how the Matrix was running on the system, other than vague statements.
I haven't read each and every post here, but I think no one took the following possibility into account:

People seem to have already forgotten, but not so long ago, there were insane shortages. You had to order your place in advance to manufacture your SOC/parts/whatever and if you canceled, you risked the next open space being years away and/or incurring an insane rise in prices.

Now imagine Nintendo wanting to secure mass manufacturing to prevent shortages, knowing when exactly they needed everything, and no end in sight to the shortages. I can see Nintendo securing whatever manufacturing space was available for the node size they thought they needed at the time, with a hard contract, binding both Samsung and Nintendo, and so no way for them to change anything (in the short term at least) now that things have changed.

That's another possibility imo.

4chan rumor that was shared on Reddit.

Hey, so there's been a lot of excitement with Switch successor information over the last week and now I want to put out some of my information. Just enough to clarify bits of outdated information and corroborate some of what's been said already. In summary, is the excitement warranted? Is Nintendo returning to being competitive? The answer to both of these questions is actually... yes, shockingly! I believe we are in for an interesting console generation like we used to have 20 years ago. Sony and Microsoft are just barely starting to release real generationally-bound games for their hardware. This is where the next-gen truly starts.

So first of all, the claim of the Switch successor's SoC still being that "T239" were true, but that was back in 2019 before Nintendo was forced to cut the Switch Pro. In fact Nvidia was already hesitant to provide this to Nintendo by the time the T239 got leaked. It was going to be used for the Pro, and simply put that's been off the table for well over a year. Besides Nintendo's attitude change in the last two years, Nvidia themselves were pressuring Nintendo to move beyond Ampere. As many people feared, as evident by the supposed "Samsung 8nm reconfirmation" yesterday and its response, Samsung's process node is simply terrible. Additionally, developers have pressured Nintendo a lot lately. They want their games available on the huge Switch market. And finally Nintendo started to crack when Nvidia joined in that conversation from their corner of the room. It took a lot of convincing but Nvidia-mostly finally, and successfully, got Nintendo leadership to accept that the T239 was not the right choice. It could not hit the battery life targets Nintendo desired while also providing the feature set they want.

So what does that leave you with? No, it's not a Mediatek SoC, Nintendo genuinely enjoys their partnership with Nvidia due to similar business philosophies. The newer SoC has the model name T254. If you're on top of your Nvidia silicon, you might deduce what this is already from those numbers. But I'll spell it out regardless. This SoC is the cut-down remnant of what was going to be Atlan, the "cancelled" SoC made for Nvidia Drive. What's funny is there's a subtle hint this design would show up again in Jensen's announcement of Thor. All he says is that Atlan is "no more" and he's talking specifically about their automotive products. The main improvements from Thor are all related to features those companies want. The Atlan-based Drive module is no more. What Nvidia did, instead of sweeping all of the design work into the bin, was pass it on to Nintendo. After all of the pressure I mentioned above, Nintendo finally bit on it.Why is this exciting? T254 is much better than what T239 was going to be. Ada Lovelace scales remarkably at lower power. Another advantage is that Nintendo is actually saving money at-scale because of the amount of dies they are getting per-wafer from TSMC (this was a huge factor, obviously, for Nintendo). They would have had to bin a lot of Samsung's production to even come close to the efficiency requirement they set.

The 4K Breath of the Wild presentation showed at Gamescom? That was running without DLSS. The presenters were meant to be vague about DLSS because people were expected to talk, and talk they did. That's why there were immediate disagreements with the version/features supported. People incorrectly making assumptions. The software stack isn't complete and the goal is to get Ray Reconstruction into the SDK by launch (this will easily happen). The Matrix presentation was running internally at 1440p and upscaling to 4K and actually was on DLSS 3.0. None of the publications got that correct.
I myself am excited for Nintendo to once again care about core gamers.Why now? The bottom line is they believe that because the Switch already established such a large market, they can obtain more third-party game sales for the successor which they missed out on. They already know consumers will buy anything first-party, for almost any price, and the post-Covid market and PS5 proved to them expensive hardware will too. Something that surprised me, based on my own interpretation, is that I think Nintendo leadership is excited themselves to surprise everyone. It has been quite invigorating for them lately.

There are a couple other pieces of generic hardware information I can provide. Storage will be a basic PCI Express 4.0-based NVME SSD. Nintendo is saving on cost here because this is cheap and performant enough today, without overengineering. Storage quantity is an unknown for me except for one detail. I'll get to that in a second. The USB support is either USB4 20Gbps or USB4 40Gbps. This is kind of funny, to me at least, that the deciding factor here is going to be the cables. They haven't decided if they want to deal with the added expense of higher quality cable validation for 40Gbps. Electronically it will work but 40Gbps is likely getting soft-locked out - I would put my money on that. There's hardly a reason to need faster speeds. The expandable storage that will be possible over USB4 either way will be plenty fast. And that's how Nintendo is going to manage large game sizes this time around without requiring them to put in a huge internal storage capacity, so they get to keep the initial console price more reasonable.

There was another feature set demo planned for Gamescom that didn't make it. A Mario 64-style Peach's castle stage. It was/is (might come later still) going to show what the Switch successor will be capable of with native rendering versus DLSS-enhanced rendering for both docked and handheld performance profile. So that's 4 comparisons in total. It has geometric grass, denser than Breath of the Wild's but shorter, and with much further draw distance. Most impressive here is each individual blade casts a shadow. The castle moat obviously has path traced reflections but the reflective depth is impressive. There are window reflections coming through the water's own reflections. Every detail represented in this sandbox is meticulous. Very high resolution textures, dense tree canopy and foliage. All the works. It's not realistic for a game, but that's why it's a developer demo. This didn't make it to Germany because of the software stack not being ready yet. It doesn't run well at the moment but it's expected to get it to a stable 30 frames per second as-is once preproduction-ready.Thanks for reading

Lots to chew on, thoughts ?

Nobody here was there. There is no right or wrong answer. This isn’t aimed at you by the way but there’s absolutely no reason to dismiss anyone or any answer from people thinking it may refer to a reveal.

It may have been that someone just put their hand up and asked when the system will be revealed and the answer was ‘Around March next year’.

https://reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/s/EMBHlIuW2C
Have we ever heard anything about T254 SOC from Nvidia? The whole post seems pretty down to earth but there are quite a few questionable remarks, like why someone would know about „nvidia pressuring Nintendo”

Seems like fantasy fan-fic

T239 was in the works since at least 2019 (as Nvidia hack shows), had samples made in 2022, with the initial release likely planned for 2023. It got tapped out already.

The T254 would have to start being worked on in 2020 at the latest to make it for 2024 release date. No such hardware was included in the March 2022 Nvidia hack.

The 4K Breath of the Wild presentation showed at Gamescom? That was running without DLSS. The presenters were meant to be vague about DLSS because people were expected to talk, and talk they did. That's why there were immediate disagreements with the version/features supported. People incorrectly making assumptions. The software stack isn't complete and the goal is to get Ray Reconstruction into the SDK by launch (this will easily happen). The Matrix presentation was running internally at 1440p and upscaling to 4K and actually was on DLSS 3.0. None of the publications got that correct.
I myself am excited for Nintendo to once again care about core gamers.Why now? The bottom line is they believe that because the Switch already established such a large market, they can obtain more third-party game sales for the successor which they missed out on. They already know consumers will buy anything first-party, for almost any price, and the post-Covid market and PS5 proved to them expensive hardware will too. Something that surprised me, based on my own interpretation, is that I think Nintendo leadership is excited themselves to surprise everyone. It has been quite invigorating for them lately.
This makes al of this seem really farfetched. I know the matrix demo is probably running on a newer version of UE5 with better performance, but that is the same resolution that the ps5 and series X could run it (series S was around 720p). No way the switch 2 even with nvidia magic could it those numbers

Last edited:
Personally, t254 or not, Mediatek or not, between t239 on 8nm, nothing running on final hardware and last year's cancellation rumors, something smells really bad.

I think we're in for a surprise.

Sounds fake.

The variety of the information is too far spread. It’s one thing knowing about the chips but to then provide details about a super secret Mario demo which didn’t make it pushes it into untrue territory for me. Like, imagine how high up you’d need to be to know about the chips (the entire history) and a demo developed by a separate department.

Thank you very much. I've just went through it all. Very informative and well done by @oldpuck and @LiC.

@oldpuck Was Sep 2022 the last update we had for T239? That's what I took from your timeline.

Also, when did we find out the "Pro" was cancelled? Couldn't resist the feeling I was reading about the "Pro" all along. Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo was working on a "Pro" at the same time as a Nextgen console. This is normal for companies to do so. And at some point, they decided to drop the Pro (that's well documented here) and just wait a few more years for Nextgen (not documented or leaked anywhere).
Given the timing, if a Pro "existed", it never got past brainstorming. No SoC came out of the Nvidia leak, and while it could have been separate, it's unlikely since the leak encompassed details of every gpu they made for the last several generations

The post reads like a fan fic... from somebody thats far into hardware and switch 2 speculation.

so ... who made it? who here is the culprit?

I mean, i would love it, but i don't belive it. Not that i dont belive that nintendo decided that maybe its time to move from the old node to a new one in those years, of that they decided to rework the CPU, but the fluff surrounding it. to many to explicit mentions that only a handfull of people in the know would have, like how the communication in regards to the product between nintendo and nvidia is.

Except maybe the BotW was native claim.
If the game was 1:1 the same game, but ported, then i could see it work, since it would not eat up performance for more draw distance, LoD, and all of that stuff, so all of the additional power could go straight into higher and more frequent frames.

I was looking at old NeoGAF Switch threads after the announcement to remind myself of it. People expected it to be $249 (some were going as low as $199) and when $299 was confirmed, people were dooming the console so hard. Like the way the reactions went you would of thought Nintendo pulled a Sony E3 2006 and priced it $599 US dollars.

Now we would be lucky for the Switch 2 to be $299 lol.
In defense of those people:
250$/300$ back then was a different beast then now, where we normalized 1000+$ phones, where inflation is really high.

Back then mobile tech was moving excessively fast the years before the switch,
so the expectations where "by the time it comes out its not on top anymore".
Well, right around that time it also started to slow down in a sense. I bought my phone for 350€ shortly after, and honestly had a problem finding something thats that much better for the same price this year. But the phone i bought 2 years prior to that one, yeah, there was a big jump. (same line of phones)

My hope was 250€, my max was 300€, in the end it was 330€ (and im still not happy about that price).
Joy cons where more expensive then expected, and to be honest i still think they are a tad to expensive for whats given. Same for the Pro controllers. sure, they have a handful of sensors, but by now (and even back then) those where not that expensive anymore.

Why people expect 400? based on switches success, on current tech prices, it seems reasonable.
Much higher? eh. They will sell, but i think the sealing is 450€, 500€ is just asking to much outside of hardcore followers. It will be sold out, for sure, at the start, bit i could see it falling.

The PS5 prices are also nothing to go by (if we talk scalpers), since it was in a time where people where stuck at home and could not use their money in a different way. That changed again (just see how meta backtracked in their vision to replace the office and commerce, when they realized people WANT to sometimes go outside).

Why people seriously believe that Nintendo can change their SoC last minute like it's batteries in a remote ? It's crazy
Probably a fake leak to capitalize on all the dissappointed reactions to 8nm chip, promising instead something better.

I believe it's T239 Ampere on 5nm is the best way to reconcile everything. Kimi got it wrong.

It might as well be Lovelace efficiency wise.

The mention of March was repeated numerous time and it wasn't in passing. March was stated, specifically, and a talking point at Gamescom. It came up in all conversations around the successor. The only unknown was to which it was referring -- be it launch, an announcement, a reveal, or a deadline for games to target.
Give me a smoke signal if Furukawa is threatening you if you say it happens in March, if so:
Give me two more smoke signals if it's a launch
Give me three if it's a presentation

Can our resident uncharted mascot do some investigation if the system is heavy 💀

At least noticeably so vs the switch

You still have time to buff yourself up with Ring Fit Adventure.

It works. I'm down 13kg since the start of the year!

We've gone from worrying about 8GB RAM to 8N node.

I am an expert in Famiboard culture and can confirm this is a cursed number.

Valve: "That's why we stop after 2."

If what we are hearing is true, and Kopite is accurate (which they really haven't been so far), then there's something else going on under the hood. BotW 4K/60 with little to no loading? Matrix demo? There's some sauce happening if that's what they can achieve with 8nm (which it probably isn't).

In the end, this decision is made by engineers at Nintendo and nVidia. And these people are very, very, extremely likely to be way smarter and more experienced in this than we are.

If they decided on 8NM not being an issue, they have their reasons.

So many good games at the sop, wonder if stuff like resi 4 remake or ff7 rebirth would ever come to switch 2

SQEX ... dunno.

But Cap-"Port everything to everywhere, including Smart Toasters"-com will definitely port everything that's viable.

Sorry to additionally quote you on this, but i would really be interested if this March part of the talking did come from the presentations Nintendo did, aka "official" Nintendo communication or if it's the devs opinions after what they've seen and been shown. Basically devs being in agreement like "looks like the projects progress point to March".

But i guess this would be difficult at best, but most likely impossible to find out.

Why people seriously believe that Nintendo can change their SoC last minute like it's batteries in a remote ? It's crazy
Well, whats "last minute". We know about the t239 now for a year, if its another year till launch, and the leaked info was already older... yeah, i don't see it last minute if over the last year they decided on a different soc and are now starting to prepare manufacturing for next year.

not likely mind you, just i would not make it seem impossible if by late 2022 they knew they're not happy and wont something different (like, improved in some areas, not like night and day different) for a 2024 launch.

Well, whats "last minute". We know about the t239 now for a year, if its another year till launch, and the leaked info was already older... yeah, i don't see it last minute if over the last year they decided on a different soc and are now starting to prepare manufacturing for next year.

not likely mind you, just i would not make it seem impossible if by late 2022 they knew they're not happy and wont something different (like, improved in some areas, not like night and day different) for a 2024 launch.
I just have a huge problem with the notion that 12SM on 8nm was ever even considered if the node isn't up to snuff.

Anyone who goes "there was a secret Mario 64 demo" is telling bullshit. SM64 is the one game false leakers love to use as demonstration that the "next console is a powerhouse" because they are that creatively bankrupt.

Remember that (in)famous Mario 64 Revolution video.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom