• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

I’m playing Maddening and these bosses keeping moving after me
Lol.

Is this normal for everyone in other difficulties or just maddening? I keep
Forgetting they move and make myself a sitting duck. Also Break is pretty cool, i
Would like this to be kept for other titles, makes it tactical for you and the enemies since they’ll go after you with Break

Lol.

Forgetting they move and make myself a sitting duck. Also Break is pretty cool, i
Would like this to be kept for other titles, makes it tactical for you and the enemies since they’ll go after you with Break
Oh yeah it seems on Maddening bosses do not wait and even take some unique routes to really mess you up

The boss on the chapter you get Yunaka went down the left side and ambushed me from that alleyway that you can easily overlook. It was really exciting.

Also I agree about break. It's what the series has needed to actually make the weapon triangle matter.

Lol.

They move on hard as well. Chapter 5 boss scared the shit out of me when he charged in to attack my mage.

Just unlocked the ring chamber and...oh wow, the amount of customisation for your units, it's on the same level as Fire Emblem Heroes. The potential to make absolute broken units is going to be so much fun.

It's a shame I need NSO to try out the online features.

Very strange how the supports place everyone in their combat outfits, rather than whatever they’re currently wearing in Somniel. Kinda kneecaps the fun of the clothing customization a bit, considering that Supports are the only time you’re really gonna see anyone outside of battle.

Yeah as soon as we get a better healer Framme is likely to be on the subs bench for the rest of the game. I might just have her killed off at that point.
oh yeah she is what I would like to call a useful sacrifice. When the going gets tough and I need someone to die so a BETTER unit can survive, she's gone.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who keeps misunderstanding the combat forecast? For example, I see 40 dmg and keep thinking that's going to be 1 hit and kill the enemy before they can counter back instead of 2 attacks of 20 dmg totaling 40 dmg overall.

I vastly prefer how all previous FE games told the combat forecast lol.
No you aren't. It's a little hard to get used to but also it's just loud down there. There's a lot going on. I noticed this in the trailers before release and was concerned. I'm definitely not a fan of it. I'm making mistakes I never would because of how obnoxious it all is.

Yeah as soon as we get a better healer Framme is likely to be on the subs bench for the rest of the game. I might just have her killed off at that point.
I promoted Framme first and she is now one of my best units lol. Punching and kicking and zooming around the battlefield with Sigurd's Emblem.

I promoted Framme first and she is now one of my best units lol. Punching and kicking and zooming around the battlefield with Sigurd's Emblem.
Interesting, she may redeem herself yet :D

Found some horse manure to give her as a gift for now.

Last edited:
Very strange how the supports place everyone in their combat outfits, rather than whatever they’re currently wearing in Somniel. Kinda kneecaps the fun of the clothing customization a bit, considering that Supports are the only time you’re really gonna see anyone outside of battle.
They also don’t bring their alternate outfits into battle right? I really hope they patch that in at some point if that’s the case.

They also don’t bring their alternate outfits into battle right? I really hope they patch that in at some point if that’s the case.
Yeah, the unlockable outfits are only wearable at the Somniel. 100% agreed on hoping we get an update that allows us to wear outfits on maps, crazy we can't do this in the base game lol. I want to have everyone battling in swimsuits, dammit!

Yeah I'm aware of it but I keep forgetting about the arrows. Whereas in the previous FE games, the combat forecast information was much more clear and obvious in my opinion.
My other issue is we no longer seem to get defensive battle forecasts anymore? Unless I'm just missing how it's implemented this time around (or I'm crazy and misremembering something from Three Houses)

Game: "you can adopt the chicken"
Me: "I'll give her a good home"
P1rJq4w.jpg

My other issue is we no longer seem to get defensive battle forecasts anymore? Unless I'm just missing how it's implemented this time around (or I'm crazy and misremembering something from Three Houses)
I don't remember a defence battle forecast in a Fire Emblem game? I think there's something like that in Triangle Strategy where you can make a future battle and see the forecast on any unit on the map before actually battling.

3h got that? i don't even remember if that's the case. tbh i'd just calculate on my own for simple damage/double before positioning units to bait enemy attacks. unless random crit happens, that's enough for me

I don't remember a defence battle forecast in a Fire Emblem game? I think there's something like that in Triangle Strategy where you can make a future battle and see the forecast on any unit on the map before actually battling.
I could be misremembering but in Three Houses I thought the red lines from enemies showed who had their aggro, whereas in this game those red lines just show that you're in their aggro range but not that they will attack you specifically.

The gameplay here is great. Way better than TH. The flow is nice. THe presentation is also amazingggg. This or better from now on IS. Although, I have found some interesting voice -> character mismatches.... Like, does anyone else think Etie's voice does not match her visual at all?

Story is serviceable, lol.

Chapter 11...I'm playing classic and I just lost one of the twins/healing twin and...I can't be asked to restart and I found her to be only healing and annoying lol.

3h got that? i don't even remember if that's the case. tbh i'd just calculate on my own for simple damage/double before positioning units to bait enemy attacks. unless random crit happens, that's enough for me
I could be misremembering but in Three Houses I thought the red lines from enemies showed who had their aggro, whereas in this game those red lines just show that you're in their aggro range but not that they will attack you specifically.
Like I said, it's possible I could be misremembering. I just thought that in Three Houses it would at least roughly show your health bar forecast if you were in aggro range, like "Hmm moving this person here is a really bad idea" etc. I'd have to boot that game up to check, though

The gameplay here is great. Way better than TH. The flow is nice. THe presentation is also amazingggg. This or better from now on IS. Although, I have found some interesting voice -> character mismatches.... Like, does anyone else think Etie's voice does not match her visual at all?

Story is serviceable, lol.
The presentation is great, agreed. But yeah Etie's voice feels a bit off for her character. I also find it to be a bit odd that both her and Alfred are constantly talking about their muscles when they're both stick-thin and look like they could be blown over by a strong gust of wind, lol

The break mechanic singlehandedly made Armor Knights elite. The generally slower movement of other classes certainly helps too.

Put Sigurd on Louis and he’s damn near unstoppable as long as you clear out any nearby mages.
I noticed this too. Having a break mechanic that armour knights ignore, plus also them no longer being considerably slower, makes them incredibly good. The Pegasus knight feels really slow at 5 squares movement- I hope promotion means they get a boost to movement. Presumably they intend you to pair them up with a Pegasus emblem?

The presentation is great, agreed. But yeah Etie's voice feels a bit off for her character. I also find it to be a bit odd that both her and Alfred are constantly talking about their muscles when they're both stick-thin and look like they could be blown over by a strong gust of wind, lol
It's like Mac in always Sunny before he actually bulked up. Constantly bragging about nonexistent muscles. Maybe they one day accomplish their dreams.

It’s nice to have an ‘avatar’ character that actually speaks and has a personality. Definitely elevates Alear above characters like Byleth, Corrin, and Robin for me. Which makes me think I’ve only ever played two Fire Emblems where the main character isn’t mute since I’ve only played from Awakening onwards (in this case, Echoes and Engage aren’t mute). How badly I want the Tellius games remade because both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are so incredibly expensive on eBay. 😭

The character balance in this game is wild, though looking at the emblem stuff with enough work you can make any character crazy busted.

The break mechanic singlehandedly made Armor Knights elite. The generally slower movement of other classes certainly helps too.

Put Sigurd on Louis and he’s damn near unstoppable as long as you clear out any nearby mages.
Haha yup, putting Sigurd on Louis is exactly what I've been doing. When I was on Chapter 6, my strat was to use Louis to repeatedly attack and weaken the boss and use Sigurd's Canter to move back to the tile that gave 30 avoid and 10 HP lol. Louis already took very little damage thanks to his defense, and with the boss only having 50% hit, Louis was nearly invincible, and I was able to feed kills to my weaker units.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is Louis like, God-tier lol? Armor Knights seem really good in this game.
It only took IS 33 years to figure out how to make Armor Knights good, and all it took was a nerf everyone's movement and make armor knights immune to the weapon triangle :p

Chapter 4 here
Graphics and style are great
Tone is a little bit too childish
Animations, resolution and frame rate seems/are above TH
gameplay is..god-tier , even if the first maps are very simple (tutorial-like)

Cross posting this since I feel it's important for people to know. This post is talking about Jagen units ie the early game pre promotes of which Vander is Engage's.

The dirty little secret is that every Jagen is an S tier unit in every FE game. People put far too much emphasis on the end game where yes, they do fall off due to poor growths outside of a few like Seth and PoR Titania. However, being mediocre to bad in the end game doesn't offset being OP for the first 40% of the game and then good for the next 30%-40% of the game. I'd argue for most FE's the end game is the easiest part as you're either given an OP unit (Tiki, Athos, Laguz Royals) or an OP weapon for your lord (Fachion, Binding Blade, Ragnell).

People also worry about Jagen's "stealing exp" too much. In modern FE with unlimited grinding/exp, you shouldn't even be worried about it. Even in the classic games (or maddening in this game) the 2-3 levels that a Jagen steals from the rest of your army aren't going to make or break the mid/late game, and odds are those kills saved your bacon.

Emblems are the single best gimmick the series has ever had.
I really like them. Also that they give passive buffs plus an interesting range of wild abilities. Celica’s Warp Ragnarok is so useful. Not so keen on the gacha element of the minor bond rings and polishing them, that all just seems like busywork to me.

Cleared chapter 5, I'm glad I'm playing maddening because this would definitely be trivial on any lower difficulty. So far, it's much more balanced than Maddening in three houses, at least.

Cross posting this since I feel it's important for people to know. This post is talking about Jagen units ie the early game pre promotes of which Vander is Engage's.

The dirty little secret is that every Jagen is an S tier unit in every FE game. People put far too much emphasis on the end game where yes, they do fall off due to poor growths outside of a few like Seth and PoR Titania. However, being mediocre to bad in the end game doesn't offset being OP for the first 40% of the game and then good for the next 30%-40% of the game. I'd argue for most FE's the end game is the easiest part as you're either given an OP unit (Tiki, Athos, Laguz Royals) or an OP weapon for your lord (Fachion, Binding Blade, Ragnell).

People also worry about Jagen's "stealing exp" too much. In modern FE with unlimited grinding/exp, you shouldn't even be worried about it. Even in the classic games (or maddening in this game) the 2-3 levels that a Jagen steals from the rest of your army aren't going to make or break the mid/late game, and odds are those kills saved your bacon.
What I always tend to do with them is to use them last each turn, to either block an enemy getting to a squishy type or to grab a shiny resource tile. They are picking up kills here and there and it’s useful to have them in reserve.

I really like them. Also that they give passive buffs plus an interesting range of wild abilities. Celica’s Warp Ragnarok is so useful. Not so keen on the gacha element of the minor bond rings and polishing them, that all just seems like busywork to me.
Warp Ragnarok is absurd at least where I'm at, it's like an orbital nuke and just kills everything. All of the Emblem attacks seem incredible, for the most part

Warp Ragnarok is absurd at least where I'm at, it's like an orbital nuke and just kills everything. All of the Emblem attacks seem incredible, for the most part
Makes me hope the back half of the game is gonna be wild in order to challenge a full FE team of 12 all emblemed-up units

I Bassically used vander as a enemy softener or unit saver in engage, he’s benched now but I can defiantly say he was one of the best units of my team relatively,

Question: Once you max out an Emblem's level (currently 10, although maybe it goes higher later?) should you immediately move it to someone else to gain levels, or is it ever worth leaving it on to keep a better unit? I would assume the former, but I'm still getting a feel for how much you want to get Emblem levels on everyone. I haven't done any class changes yet, for reference.

Leaning towards restarting on maddening. Hard's a bit too tame for my tastes where I'm at in the game right now and I feel it'll get a lot easier before it gets harder with how the systems in this game work.

Question: Once you max out an Emblem's level (currently 10, although maybe it goes higher later?) should you immediately move it to someone else to gain levels, or is it ever worth leaving it on to keep a better unit? I would assume the former, but I'm still getting a feel for how much you want to get Emblem levels on everyone. I haven't done any class changes yet, for reference.
Since you can inherit skills from emblems once the bond reaches level 5, you should be moving them around so that more of you army can fill in those 2 empty ability slots.

Just got the game today, only played about an hour so far. I'm playing classic / normal. I picked normal without thinking too much about it, but now I'm worrying it might be too easy considering there wasn't an easy option or anything below normal. So is normal the new easy? It's only been an hour so I wouldn't mind restarting (unless I'm missing a way to change the difficulty without restarting).

What I played felt nice. It was only the first three chapters so haven't quite gotten a feel for the new mechanics. I thought it was weird the new chain guard thing was on my squishiest unit. Moving the characters themselves with diagonal movement without using a cursor is a good change, it threw me off what was happening for a second though lol.

I did accidentally skip one cutscene when I pressed + thinking it would pause. Like either do the thing where you have to hold the skip button for a second with some visual indicator or only offer the skip prompt after pausing.

I'll have more time to really sit down with the game tomorrow, maybe I'll go ahead and restart on hard.

Just got the game today, only played about an hour so far. I'm playing classic / normal. I picked normal without thinking too much about it, but now I'm worrying it might be too easy considering there wasn't an easy option or anything below normal. So is normal the new easy? It's only been an hour so I wouldn't mind restarting (unless I'm missing a way to change the difficulty without restarting).

What I played felt nice. It was only the first three chapters so haven't quite gotten a feel for the new mechanics. I thought it was weird the new chain guard thing was on my squishiest unit. Moving the characters themselves with diagonal movement without using a cursor is a good change, it threw me off what was happening for a second though lol.

I did accidentally skip one cutscene when I pressed + thinking it would pause. Like either do the thing where you have to hold the skip button for a second with some visual indicator or only offer the skip prompt after pausing.

I'll have more time to really sit down with the game tomorrow, maybe I'll go ahead and restart on hard.
I thought you could change the difficulty at any point, as long as it's going up in difficulty.

Is it better to use the Master Seal as soon as possible or wait till you reach max level with the basic class first?
Like all FE games it depends upon the character. Usually you want to wait till 20 for the extra level ups, but there are probably characters who really want that early promotion. In classic games I'd usually made that argument for healers so they could actually fight and work on magic tome ranks, though that's not as critical in Engage.

Like all FE games it depends upon the character. Usually you want to wait till 20 for the extra level ups, but there are probably characters who really want that early promotion. In classic games I'd usually made that argument for healers so they could actually fight and work on magic tome ranks, though that's not as critical in Engage.
I’ve only really ever played Three Houses, how is this different from that game? Why would you wait until level 20 to class change? Don’t you want to change jobs ASAP so you have better stat growths?

I’ve only really ever played Three Houses, how is this different from that game? Why would you wait until level 20 to class change? Don’t you want to change jobs ASAP so you have better stat growths?
in general if you promote at 10, rather than at 20, you'll potentially lost 10 levels worth of level up stats. not to mention promoted class have lower exp gain than base class.
granted that this game have second seal which is for reclassing like in awakening (which might makes this isn't as straight forward as non-reclassing game), but iirc in the end even for that game it's still better to promote late unless that unit has reached stats cap

Back
Top Bottom