• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

I started on Normal, Classic, but if I replay it I will try and go for a harder difficulty. 😌

On chapter 5 or 6 so far, just completed the first paralogue. I really like the character designs and the visuals / polish is a big step up from Three Houses. The Somniel is also much less annoying than the monastery. It's weird, I know this game doesn't have branching paths but it seems like it would make replaying routes much simpler than in Three Houses. 😅

Just popping in to say how excited I am for all of you FE fans who feast tonight!

I'll be celebrating you all by booting TH for the first time ever since buying it on sale about a year back!

I want to have the most fun.

Is Maddening a good place? Is Hard mode easy for a Fire Emblem veteran? I don’t mind some unfair difficulty

The best difficulty in a Fire Emblem game to me was Hard mode in Conquest and Radiant Dawn normal (tho I guess that’s hard mode lol). Three House was easy even on Hard. Maddening was kinda of awakening Lunatic, not balanced well, but more fun then Hard mode at least lol.
yeah it seems like maddening is a challenging but not unfair difficulty

Happy Engage day!!!!

Got to play about an hour or so, and I am still not over how vibrant and gorgeous this game is!
I also avoided the opening when it released online, and am a big fan of it's tune! Definitely one that'll get stuck inside my head like Edge of Dawn did. XD

I am playing on Casual+Hard this time, with m!Alear and subbed!
(I already managed to lose a chara in a tutorial battle so this Hard mode is gonna be a trip LOOL)

It's my birthday and I'm ready to Engage down under 🥳 First time a game I've wanted has come out on my birthday! And I have the corporate mandated drink for it, too.
0364dc24e7d0f43c0759454c811ec9184e646f6b.jpg

I've been trying to get the special edition so release day will probably just be me refreshing the page until I give up. Really looking forward to playing this, though, my concerns about the story aside (I'll manage).

I think it would be very funny to get a Pepsi drink to go with it when it's in my hands but alas, I don't like Pepsi.

Great ST! I'm eager to dive in... tomorrow, when I'm off work :(. BUT I have all day, will be some excellent tactical goodness.

Going to pick my Divine Edition up at GameStop in less than 2 hours and… I think I’m actually going to play it. Wasn’t planning to and haven’t really played a Fire Emblem since Shadow Dragon (did start 3 houses a couple of months ago, but backed out for another game).

Now to spend these 2 hours deciding whether to have perma-death or not.

Will my copy ship tomorrow? Will I have to wait until Tuesday?!

This is the true anxiety of permadeath.

I don’t think Amazon is going to ship my copy tomorrow. Is Normal difficulty too easy in this game?

Welp, already got a game over on Chapter 3 😅 Hard is definitely the usual hard mode and not the weak version Three Houses had.

I can't get used to the new movement style. I know you can toggle it in the settings, but I figured I'd give it a try for the first few levels and see if it grew on me - I like the idea of walking around the battlefield with your units instead of just selecting a tile with your cursor, but it feels kinda clunky. I think I'm going to switch it back to the 'normal' style here in a bit.

Played untill the end of chapter 3 and so far has been great. Really the difference in the graphics are like night and day with 3H, also the feature to close in and see the models in detail is a nice touch for some nice screenshots.

Looking over the web this morning, it looks like people really dig the game due to the gameplay being sublime.

No i'm okay, it's definitely not making me even sadder i'm not going to play this today. ... ;_;

It's my birthday and I'm ready to Engage down under 🥳 First time a game I've wanted has come out on my birthday! And I have the corporate mandated drink for it, too.
0364dc24e7d0f43c0759454c811ec9184e646f6b.jpg

Happy Birthday, but after Engage, that Pepsi and a birthday cake and/or sweets, don't forget to brush your teeth with Byleth Total Plus Whitening.

only played the prologue and first chapter(less than an hour total) so far so don't have any other impressions yet but framme and clanne are a bit much wish they'd toned them down a tad

This game is reminding me that Three Houses made me a lazy FE player, lmao. I'm doing a lot more thinking and checking of enemies like older titles.

Also we stan Louis

Have the game since Wednesday and I'm currently at chapter 11 (CLASSIC | HARD).

I'll keep my general thoughts for later when everyone else in the OT is further in the game.
What I will say is that the game is pretty lenient in terms of safety options (rewind + being able to save anytime during battle), so hard mode is a viable option even for non-experts, IMO. Also, you can turn the difficulty down at your base (but no up).

The writing is very much “let’s get to the point”. Reminds me a bit of sacred stones, since it starts off with a conflict off the bat.

Not nearly as slow as Three Houses where it builds up to something.

However. It’s very bland so far. Like I wouldn’t say it’s bad or good. It’s just there. It feels like Awakening’s second half of the game, Only a few chapters in, but so far that’s what it feels like.

Mechanically. I’m still early so nothing been out of the ordinary other then break/engage. Maps have been simple and route so that’s disappointing. But still early. Some nice “you haven’t finish the chapter yet” battles tho.

I’m so use to Portraits that seeing 3D models on the screens all the time when selecting a fight makes me dislike them for no reason lol. I think I would’ve liked Portraits personally.

Etie just avoided death by dodging a 94% hit from an enemy after I stupidly pulled her too forward, queen behaviour

Interesting datamining tidbit I saw from Vincent's spreadsheet.

Engage's codename is Iron19, where Three Houses is Iron17. I wonder if the rumored Genealogy remake started before Engage.
It seems likely. Or we might have another "FE8" situation, where both SS and PoR were internally referred to as "FE8", only this time we'll have two "iron18". 😛

That's possible, the other warriors game used a different codename.
The first Warriors isn't internally counted, though, nor are other spin-offs or ancillary releases such as BS FE, TMS or Heroes. (On the other hand, the cancelled FE Wii is counted)

Really nice looking game, think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it, and I'm liking my units a lot even if I miss Three Houses' slower simmer of its story. I know people hated the bloat, but I am really feeling how pared back and vacuous this is compared to what was already not exactly the height of storytelling. I snorted when in chapter 3...

Divine Dragon mom is dying and the scene just would not end, with everyone repeating the same things over and over and being melodramatic and I'm just wondering what attachment I'm meant to have to her given that all she's done is say "ring emblem dragon young one don't forget to collect the macguffins." It went on so long my Switch screen dimmed. If you want to keep it simple and wiz through the story beats, keep it brief. It's weird for me to go back to this!

Hugely surprised that I hated the look of Clanne and Framme and should technically find them annoying, but my instant knee-jerk reaction in-game is that I will protect them and that Vander is incredibly dry and flat in comparison. Alear's design also doesn't bother me at all at this point, and I knew I liked him after the intro to that first battle.

Funy thing in latam subs Engage is translated as fusion which makes it feel more anime. Also like when you are in the somniel that the characters are wearing casual clothes, no need to keep their battle attires all the day. As for the battles I really like how quick they go, even with the engage especial attacks.

I'm already getting youtube recommendations for videos implying a ton of spoilers. Watch out everyone.

Have the game since Wednesday and I'm currently at chapter 11 (CLASSIC | HARD).

I'll keep my general thoughts for later when everyone else in the OT is further in the game.
What I will say is that the game is pretty lenient in terms of safety options (rewind + being able to save anytime during battle), so hard mode is a viable option even for non-experts, IMO. Also, you can turn the difficulty down at your base (but no up).
Will probably pick hard once I pick up my divine edition later. I've played enough FE got no reason to play normal at this point.

It’s a beautiful game in terms of colours. I love the teals, blues and greens, it’s all very striking.

Chapter 3 spoilers so far;

Man, the obligatory parent death almost came across as funny when you have Alear being all emotional and blah blah blah when the parent had like, 10 lines to them, Alear doesn't remember them at all and in the one conversation they actually had, explicitly told them they don't want a gift from them because they don't actually remember her to the point it was effectively for someone else.
I'm pretty sure they talked for longer in that scene than the rest combined, lol.

I don't want to bang the three houses narrative drum already but I'm closer than I'd like to admit.

Edit,:Hey, I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
Chapter 3 spoilers so far;

Man, the obligatory parent death almost came across as funny when you have Alear being all emotional and blah blah blah when the parent had like, 10 lines to them, Alear doesn't remember them at all and explicitly just told them they don't want a gift from them because they don't actually remember her to the point it was effectively for someone else.
I'm pretty sure they talked for longer in that scene than the rest combined, lol.

I don't want to bang the three houses narrative drum already but I'm closer than I'd like to admit.

Edit,:Hey, I'm not the only one.
Remind me of Fates

Back
Top Bottom