• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

I just want Framme to be able to speak a sentence without jumping up and down and waving her arms around. Although the monk idea, the chain guard plus being able to fight, is a wonderful take on the Cleric. Love that.

I'm about 3 or so hours in so far!

I do not say this disparagingly, but it genuinely feels like they just didn't even try to make the story/characters anywhere near as good as Three Houses. They said "No way we're competing with that, let's just focus on gameplay." And I don't really blame them, I guess? Luckily I'm not one to really care for story, so it doesn't bother me too much. But it really does highlight how Three Houses (and Awakening tbh) really were special.

But on the bright side, I do appreciate the pace. The early part of slow games are always the worst for me, so hopping right in feels great. And I quite like the gameplay improvements!

Um... a little side note: If I'm someone who didn't really vibe to the original Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors, but LOVED Age of Calamity and Three Houses, should I try out Three Hopes?

I love the UI too and the tooltips on everything. There’s a lot of minor buffs etc going on but it’s all there on the bottom of the screen for each unit and you just press x to look through them all. That’s really cool. Very impressed with the mechanics and visuals and pace so far, less so with the script.

Given the sheer number of Support and Bond Conversations in the game, I'm not surprised that they decided not to voice literally everything.
Their last game had much more writing and dialogue.

It’s a weird step back. And it’s not even a lot more VA of the ones I mentioned. It’s definitely surprising to see them cut back on something the previous game voiced.

I do not say this disparagingly, but it genuinely feels like they just didn't even try to make the story/characters anywhere near as good as Three Houses. They said "No way we're competing with that, let's just focus on gameplay." And I don't really blame them, I guess? Luckily I'm not one to really care for story, so it doesn't bother me too much. But it really does highlight how Three Houses (and Awakening tbh) really were special.

But on the bright side, I do appreciate the pace. The early part of slow games are always the worst for me, so hopping right in feels great. And I quite like the gameplay improvements!

Um... a little side note: If I'm someone who didn't really vibe to the original Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors, but LOVED Age of Calamity and Three Houses, should I try out Three Hopes?
If you loved Three Houses you really need to play Three Hopes. You are doing yourself a disservice by not. Getting to hop into a different timeline and getting to interact with all the characters again is wonderful.

Ah this was the exact level of colorful nonsense I was hoping for from the story

It is, objectively a shame that the writing and story isn't to par with Three Houses but since I was not in the mood for something like that anyways, I'll take this. I'm even down with the opening song

Same gametime eo far and I totally agree on the story and writing comparison with fe3h.

Where I disagree is the pace. Personally I feel like FE3h also had a much better Pacing that clicked with the Plot and writing.

Engage so far feels super disconnected and interestingly very slow to me.

So far I highly enjoyed the first 3 hours of fe3h more than engage since it felt much more balanced.

Still I am looking forward to play Engaged and am excited how everything develops.

In comparison, fe3h feels like overall more polished and more TrippleAAA than engaged in those first 3 hours.

Been really vibing with Engage so far (thanks to the great fights), but given the female characters designs I can totally understand why one would’ve thought that Gust was involved in the production of the game

I had basically accepted that I would have to wait a couple days to play this, but my copy actually arrived today. So excited to have a new Fire Emblem!

Hard mode is the right kind of challenge I've been missing in recent FE games. Wasn't expecting to die in the 3rd battle of the game, but I left engaged Alear next to too many enemies and they ganked me.

Yo I'm freakin loving this game so far. The music has been the standout for me. Deserves headphones due to how many details are put into the instrumentation.

Fire Emblem has always had good music, but the FE sound team has been absolutely electric since Awakening

Currently on chapter 5, really enjoying the new mechanics.

However, is it me or is it actually harder to read the units, symbols and class on the map itself? They're really tiny in handheld mode.

Also, is it even possible to zoom in and out of the battle maps like in the 3ds? I know there is a mini map but I would like to have options.

Far from the first person to say this but man, I gotta say, the graphics and animations look soooooo nice in this game, especially compared to 3H lol 🤢 it already looked good in the trailers, but it looks especially nice while playing on my TV!

This is honestly a great first attempt at an HD FE game from IS themselves, and looking back at how much they improved on the graphics and animations with the 3ds games, I'm really excited to see how they improve in future games!

And yeah, hard/classic has been great for me so far, perfect amount of challenge! Hopefully we continue getting such fine-tuned difficulty modes in future games.

However, is it me or is it actually harder to read the units, symbols and class on the map itself? They're really tiny in handheld mode.

Also, is it even possible to zoom in and out of the battle maps like in the 3ds? I know there is a mini map but I would like to have options.
The right analog stick zooms in and out.

Not sure I like the New UI honestly. Might be me trying to get used to it, everything is more compact here.

But it does feel like UI from the 3DS games funnily enough. Haven’t tried handheld mode so I’m interested to see if it’s touch screen.

I have this one nitpick that's really bothering me, and I wish there was something in the settings that would let me change this.

I really don't like how you move a unit next to an enemy, then select attack, then select the weapon, and then see the battle forecast. Especially since you can cycle through weapons on the battle forecast already with L and R. Just... remove the 'pick the weapon' step, please. I know it's just one more button press, but that really adds up over the course of the battle. Previous games got this right, and now I feel like we stepped backward.

The pacing of the game is significantly improved over TH though. So, so, so glad that Somniel isn't the absolute time-sucking chore you have to slog through between every level like the Monastery. Though I agree with the previous comment about it being sort of hard to tell what enemy unit is what on the screen. The icons seem really small. I also wish the UI wasn't so... cluttered.

Okay, this game is fun as hell

The writing is some of the most low-effort anime schlock I've seen in a while, they clearly just wanted a vehicle for teaming up with Marth and co. and didn't give a single shit about the rest, but the actual gameplay is fantastic

Playing on Maddening and Chapter 4 already gave me a hard time. The Engage system is great and adds to the overall risk-reward: do I use Marth now or save him for later? Should I use Sigurd to haul ass over there, of keep him for an emergency? Maddening really expects you to consider this.

You're not wrong. On TV it's really hard to tell who's who.

Playing on Maddening and Chapter 4 already gave me a hard time. The Engage system is great and adds to the overall risk-reward: do I use Marth now or save him for later? Should I use Sigurd to haul ass over there, of keep him for an emergency? Maddening really expects you to consider this.
This exact line of questioning almost bit me in the ass in the same chapter after I used Celica far too early. I'm also on Maddening! It's really fun, it feels very tuned so far. Nothing outrageous has happened.

Downloading the day one patch right now and will play for an hour or two before I have to get some shut-eye.

Still undecided on whether I should go with male or female protag.

feel free, i don't really mind anyway. tbh it should be a common sense to spoiler tag story bits especially for a new release w/o need this kind of reminder
Yeah, I agree. I’ll just put a note in the thread title for now just as it seems like a few fami members are going to be starting it a few days behind. In a couple weeks we can remove it, just give me a shout :)

Last edited:
Framme is like nails on a chalkboard to me I can't remember ever disliking a Fire Emblem character quite this much

played through chapter 4 and the gameplays starting to get pretty good though

I just finished chapter 3 and wow, this game is so polished! This is definitely one of the best looking games on the system.

My copy arrived finally.
Played until the beggining of chapter 3. My impressions so far:

Game looks good.
While I don’t like at all the artstyle, so far is nothing that bothers me.
Writting is nothing spectacular, but neither bad to me. It’s actually better than I expected.
In terms of story, it really feels like a basic template of Fire Emblem. Still enjoyable.
Overall, quite positive about the game and excited to keep playing.

Lumera does not look like Alear mother 🤨
Tutorial is the same as Awakening, or at least almost the same one
Vander is full filing so far the same role as Frederick from Awakening
The beggining is also similar to me to Awakening, but those kids are nowhere near as charismatic as Lissa and Chrom
The chapters are fast peaced, good
Combat is nothing out of the ordinary so far, but I’m playing on normal
The game is giving me vibes of Awakening, and I’m more than ok with it 👍

Just finished Chapter 5.
The writing has been mostly generic but inoffensive thus far, except for that one thing everyone is talking about.
It's meeting the expectations I had so I'm not too bothered, though I'm kinda worried about how they will handle
Veyle
going forward.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay.
Even though I had the ambition of doing an IronMan on the first playthrough, I played chapters 4 and 5 really badly so I had to rely on the rewind to correct some mistakes.
I am glad that the game is challenging though.
The personal skills and "unit types" are very intriguing, it feels like they open a lot of interesting possibilities. It's cool how you pull stuff like saving a dying unit by protecting it with a Monk for example.

Remind me of Fates
Honestly I found Lumera's death to be way worse than any of the death in Fates. At least those were quick and to the point, even though half of them were also the tropey fluff of "character dying for shielding someone from an incoming attack".

Last edited:
Just finished Chapter 5.
The writing has been mostly generic but inoffensive thus far, except for that one thing everyone is talking about.
It's meeting the expectations I had so I'm not too bothered, though I'm kinda worried about how they will handle
Veyle
going forward.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay.
Even though I had the ambition of doing an IronMan on the first playthrough, I played chapters 4 and 5 really badly so I had to rely on the rewind to correct some mistakes.
I am glad that the game is challenging though.
The personal skills and "unit types" are very intriguing, it feels like they open a lot of interesting possibilities. It's cool how you pull stuff like saving a dying unit by protecting it with a Monk for example.

Honestly I found Lumera's death to be way worse than any of the death in Fates. At least those were quick and to the point, even though half of them were also the tropey fluff of "character dying shielding someone from an incoming attack".
What's everyone talking about?

What's everyone talking about?
Lumera's death scene
Looking back on the thread when I started writing, only the three most recent posts were talking about it, so it was a slight exaggeration to describe it like that.

Lumera's death scene
Looking back on the thread when I started writing, only the three most recent posts were talking about it, so it was a slight exaggeration to describe it like that.

I kinda found it funny just how utterly predictable they were with it this time with the whole promising to talk tomorrow thing etc

was like uh okay time for you to die then

Just finished Chapter 3. I can see what people are referring to with the story.

Hard mode is the right kind of challenge I've been missing in recent FE games. Wasn't expecting to die in the 3rd battle of the game, but I left engaged Alear next to too many enemies and they ganked me.

Yea that caught me off guarded. I blinked and suddenly it was game over lol.

maybe I need to get further. But I don’t think this game looks all that impressive. The colorful ness and cartoony look helps it, but it’s really just a style vs style type thing to me personally. On a technical level, yeah it’s better then three houses but I think Three Houses pulled off it’s Style much better then Engage has so far.

Animation work is cool and the models are a bit more animated. But I can’t say this is a great improvement over the previous game.

CG animation is nice. Looks like a return to the 3DS style of games. Tho I am one of the folks that liked the Echoes and Three Houses style of cutscenes as well.

But I gotta say, other then gameplay and just w tactical gameplay. Not really feeling this game much so far. Everything outside of battles isn’t very interesting either.

Just started the game. I don't think the beginning makes it very clear that I am a Royal Divine Dragon They should repeat it a couple more times /s

Also, why are Vander's eyelashes so beautiful lol? and why does my character laugh when he kills someone?

Just started the game. I don't think the beginning makes it very clear that I am a Royal Divine Dragon They should repeat it a couple more times /s

Also, why are Vander's eyelashes so beautiful lol? and why does my character laugh when he kills someone?

THE DIVINE DRAGON LOOKED AT ME!

I think it’s a way to say the avatar’s name without saying the name because that line isn’t voiced. A shame really. If it’s a canon name, I think it should’ve been said.

I'm having duelling thoughts of "wow the tactical battling is much better than Three Houses" and "wow they pulled back character interactions from Three Houses"

Still, I think it's a nice change of pace after Houses and Hopes and if the FE4 rumour is true we're jumping back into serious mode for the next title.

The enemy ai is a lot smarter then I'm used to (hard mode). They jump all over the gaps in your formation to break and kill your units. Was legit :O when the boss of chapter 5 left his +30 avoid +10% hp regen to try and kill my mage.

Back
Top Bottom