• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Final Fantasy VII Rebirth |ST| "Don't fight here... you'll ruin the yellow paint!"

Anyone have a tip for beating this stupid Odin fight in the combat simulator? I can't stop that stupid one hit kill.
I set the game to Easy and used Punisher Mode counterattacks - the game doesn't appear to count it as a hit even if you don't perfect block. Unload on him if he sounds Gjallarhorn's Warning as that's the sign he's getting bored and close to dropping Zantetsuken.

Honestly way too punishing a fight just for the summon materia.

I’m liking Fort Condor more this time around than I did in Intermission, but the time limit is obnoxious.

85h. Managed to arrive in Nibelhein. I liked what they did with the GI tribe in Cosmo Canyon. That was something that always didn’t make sense on the original.

The game is pretty awesome. I’m just afraid about what they gonna do story wise. Anyway, back to playing.

Glad Ch11 is almost over haha this last boss fight is really kicking my ass though...

I’m on my second playthrough about to hit Chapter 13. Total time played is 138 hours so far between both playthroughs. About to hit the point where I’m forced to stop though because I can’t complete the bugged side quest until the new patch is out that fixes it.

70 hours in, on chapter 12, cleaning up some open world stuff. The world design of Gongaga is just terrible. I’m really loving the more linear narrative beats but these open worlds, geez. Very flawed.

I think I’m really hitting a narrative climax now. Looking forward to getting everything moving.

I just started Chapter 14. Roughly how long should I expect it to take? Trying to figure out the best time this week to get as much done at the same time.

So I got to chapter 13 yesterday, and there’s something that’s introduced here that if it were in the rest of the game, everyone’s issues would’ve been solved with a certain “yellow paint” discussion. Seriously these vines are so uniquely identifiable, maneuvering them is so much breezier than the cliff scaling with the yellow paint or the rope climbs. It’s the first time in the entire game I haven’t felt like verticality was busted.

Also this chapter is sick, aside from that.

Chapter 14, probably going to finish it tonight

this is PEAK anime dumbshit and i'm here for it

Though i will admit that i don't think that making the plot of a remake of FF VII of all games so fucking weird that it needs an Ultimania release to be properly understood is not...ideal, let's leave it at that.

The full soundtrack for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is now available on for digital purchase on iTunes etc... and the physical album also releases today.
175 tracks are included.

The full soundtrack for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is now available on for digital purchase on iTunes etc... and the physical album also releases today.
175 tracks are included.
My copy arrived today! It came with a tiny memo pad with a Tonberry plushie on the cover.

175 tracks are included.
Awesome! Can’t wait to download it :)

ugh sephiroth killed me during the battle with aerith right when he had a sliver of health left. it was 2:30am at that point and i needed the z’s. i was slightly disappointed by the lack of forgotten capital music in the forgotten capital, but only slightly. i haven’t finished the game yet, but personally remake’s ending is better so far, only because of the absolute shock of what happened, also the music with cloud and sephiroth at the edge of creation is still the best piece of music in the entire ff7 anthology imo.

im excited to see what the actual ending is after the sephiroth fight, its still absolutely bombastic and i love it, but remake is better imo.

Man.. what a bad ending. I have seen some crazy theories and I hope one of them is true aince it would improve what we have here. But man, i was not prepared for Another the last jedi ending… what a mess…

Man, manually changing all of the track titles to English before ripping the CDs is kind of tedious. At least I don't have to rely on the booklet that came with it.

just finished, they stuck as truly as they could to the main story beats and allowed parts that needed that needed to breathe a little which may have been glanced over in the OG their due time. they’ve added all this extra lifestream and alternate timeline shenanigans to keep us on our toes which i really like actually. like i still don’t know what the hell is going on.

making a straight up remake of the og would diminish the reason to revisit the story and would ultimately not want us to get hyped for the next part because we know exactly what’s gonna happen, this way is good imo, whether it pays off in the end remains to be seen.

i much preferred remake’s ending and soundtrack overall though.

edit: welp rolling credits and as i was streaming the game it decides to kick me out without warning and now i have to do the whole gauntlet again to get chapter select and hard mode. i guess i’ll play it again closer to part 3.

24 hours in now, nearly finished with Junon. Where the eff is Zack?! I was promised Zack, Square! 😡

lots of spitballing and guessing going on here after sleeping on the ending, but

i’m not sure if this is the devs showing us that cloud has gone absolutely nuts, even more so than in the og. or, if aerith is actually is there with him and is projecting herself through the lifestream. red xiii maybe sensed her presence in that final cutscene but its too much of a maybe.

i’m also super creeped out by clouds behaviour. his smile is so unhinged as they leave the forgotten capital and he doesn’t seem at all phased by what happened. there could be multiple reasons for this, but there’s something that i think is quite interesting in relation to remake here. you know how at the end of remake, everyone walks through the portal at the end of the expressway, thus the whole team experiences that alternate timeline? in this game at the forgotten capital, only cloud walks through the portal created by the whispers and the rest of the party hold the door open for him, thus only cloud experiences what happens at that point. therefore, what was portrayed albeit rather clumsily, is that the events occurred simultaneously:
timeline a) aerith dies.
timeline b) cloud saves aerith at the uh…death.

now, we have an extremely mentally unstable cloud, who has experienced an alternate timeline where he saves aerith (“aerith wake up”), in the current timeline where she has died. in his mind, he still believes she’s alive, but in reality she’s dead.

now the question remains, WHO is this aerith that is appearing to cloud? is this the real aerith who is projecting herself through the lifestream, which to me doesn’t seem like something someone who knows that their mentally fragile friend wouldn’t be able to handle, would do. is it cloud himself projecting aerith into his world? or is it sephiroth and jenova messing with him even more?

as cloud has interacted with an alternate world, where he and aerith have their date, and is able to now see the confluence of worlds (the crack in the sky) where as no one else is able to. this could lead to him losing his mind even more, and leads to the party having to beat the crap out of him at the northern crater in the next game and thus tifa is able to mend his mind and memories after falling through the lifestream in mideel.

idk if any of this makes sense, and if i need to be corrected pls do.

Last edited:
All these folks rolling credits and here I am just now starting chapter five. Ah well. Getting to the ship part was my goal for the weekend and I've already made it. I'm doing well by my standards!

All these folks rolling credits and here I am just now starting chapter five. Ah well. Getting to the ship part was my goal for the weekend and I've already made it. I'm doing well by my standards!
take your time dude, the journey is one to savour!

lots of spitballing and guessing going on here after sleeping on the ending, but

i’m not sure if this is the devs showing us that cloud has gone absolutely nuts, even more so than in the og. or, if aerith is actually is there with him and is projecting herself through the lifestream. red xiii maybe sensed her presence in that final cutscene but its too much of a maybe.

i’m also super creeped out by clouds behaviour. his smile is so unhinged as they leave the forgotten capital and he doesn’t seem at all phased by what happened. there could be multiple reasons for this, but there’s something that i think is quite interesting in relation to remake here. you know how at the end of remake, everyone walks through the portal at the end of the expressway, thus the whole team experiences that alternate timeline? in this game at the forgotten capital, only cloud walks through the portal created by the whispers and the rest of the party hold the door open for him, thus only cloud experiences what happens at that point. therefore, what was portrayed albeit rather clumsily, is that the events occurred simultaneously:
timeline a) aerith dies.
timeline b) cloud saves aerith at the uh…death.

now, we have an extremely mentally unstable cloud, who has experienced an alternate timeline where he saves aerith (“aerith wake up”), in the current timeline where she has died. in his mind, he still believes she’s alive, but in reality she’s dead.

now the question remains, WHO is this aerith that is appearing to cloud? is this the real aerith who is projecting herself through the lifestream, which to me doesn’t seem like something someone who knows that their mentally fragile friend wouldn’t be able to handle, would do. is it cloud himself projecting aerith into his world? or is it sephiroth and jenova messing with him even more?

as cloud has interacted with an alternate world, where he and aerith have their date, and is able to now see the confluence of worlds (the crack in the sky) where as no one else is able to. this could lead to him losing his mind even more, and leads to the party having to beat the crap out of him at the northern crater in the next game and thus tifa is able to mend his mind and memories after falling through the lifestream in mideel.

idk if any of this makes sense, and if i need to be corrected pls do.

My guess is Aerith became one with the lifestream and is now the same kind of omnipresent as Sephiroth is. That is the Aerith that is appearing to Cloud. I think she’s able to do this because she’s an ancient, and has a greater connection to the planet than regular people do. The way she says goodbye to him as the Highwind takes off again makes me feel like it isn’t Jenova/Seph/mako poisoning.

(Next part might come off sloppy but I’m just spitballing)

More than anything, I think it helps to define what this FF7 Remake project is. Not so much a remake as a sequel. Sephiroth in his sort of immortality, maybe re-created Mira in an attempt to redo the events of FF7 and “get it right” as it were? How? Why? Idk. But it feels like this is where the game came from/is leading. The convergence of worlds explains how Zack and Biggs were alive but it also explains maybe how Sephiroth has lived on? Maybe he’s from a world where he won but he doesn’t truly feel like he won unless he brings every world together and ends them all with Meteor?

I think we can put it a different way, too. Which of these characters are the same as the OG and which ones are different? I think it’s the same Sephiroth; this series is trying to make him out to be Ganondorf (kind of). The main party/characters are all different. Cloud, Zack, Tifa, Barrett, etc. are all new incarnations of their OG FF7 counterparts. The only one who both is and isn’t is Aerith. In Remake, she knows full well she’s the descendent of the Cetra. I don’t remember if in the OG FF7 she knew this so early. But she seems to have a somewhat solid grasp on everything as time goes on. She’s very aloof, unbothered or not worried about anything about to happen. Like she knows one day Sephiroth will kill her, so she’s just going to enjoy her time with Cloud while she has it. So maybe not in body but in spirit, Aerith is the same as in FF7.

…at least I hope this is the case. Because at least on its own, Aerith’s death scene was truly botched; muddied for no reason with trying to establish what happened. So many fakeouts, and then when you finally realize what happened, there was no real send off. She just died, you fought a wave of bosses, she appears to fight Sephiroth via White Whispers (which kinda sold me on the Aerith being Sephiroth’s equal in this game) then they just sit around until it’s time to leave, cut to black. Felt very unceremonious, especially with Clouds visions of her when the party is rebuilding the Highwind.

I swear
The Ultra Party Animal 3D Brawler fight is harder than any boss in the game. I’d rather be fighting Odin, Sephiroth, or even Gilgamesh than this dude. I cannot get a read on him for the life of me. I’ve been mentally broken by the freakin’ Shinra Middle Manager 😭

why isn’t that track from THAT moment in chapter 9, not on the OST, arguably one of the best tracks in the game for me

i’ve just realised that saruuf is a really bad anagram of rufus.

Me earlier: "I mean the game's great and all but I do think it's a bit overhyped for me personally"

Me after (late chapter 11 sidequest spoilers) playing piano for a cat and her kittens : never mind this is the greatest game ever

I'm early in Rebirth. How much of this Chadley/open-world checklist stuff do I have to do? Can I ignore it entirely and stick to the main quest?

Last edited:
I'm early in Rebirth. How much of this Chadley/open-world checklist stuff do I have to do? Can I ignore it entirely and stick to the main quest?
You get some pretty useful Materia out of them, plus improving some Materia like Summons and the Enemy Skill Materia. But you can check and see which ones you want before going for them (you'll just need to do enough activities to get the points to "buy" the Materia)

But besides that it should be fine? Nothing's really required in any sense. Not sure how the level curve works out though (been doing basically all of the side content myself)

Trying to beat the fourth Brutal Challenge and I think I'm starting to miss Weiss from Intergrade.

like for real, after watching videos like this, i have so much to learn about mastering this combat system.

I've had time to think about my 105 hour adventure. The short is that this is easily my second favorite PS5 game, and it is one of my favorite Final Fantasy games of all time.

The story definitely falls apart towards the end. There is no denying that. Still, there were a lot of great moments in the game between the characters. Most of the settings were gorgeous. Gongaga was a maze that reminded me of JRPG dungeons of yesteryear. The battle system was excellent. I didn't have many issues with XVI's system, but Rebirth was easily a cut above. I wish I tried to experiment more with

I ended up doing 99% of the game's missions. I fell short with Gigamesh's mission. Despites everyone's kind help with the Odin VR mission, I was unable to finish it. Also, I didn't complete the side quest with getting high scores in all of the Golden Saucer mini games. I was starting to get burned out by the end anyway. I was ready to finish the game.

Queens Blood is the best Final Fantasy mini game since Triple Triad. A little bit was hoping for good RNG, but it still mostly came down to strategy. Once I had a basic idea of how to really play it, pretty much every match was a breeze until the finale. That was brutal, but luckily I found the winning deck. Square needs to make an online mode for Queens Blood.

There is definitely a case of there being too much to do in this game. I did feel overwhelmed at times, but most of the side content was amazing. If/when I replay the game down the road, I definitely won't be doing everything though. I'll probably just stick to the story and be happy with that.

I am looking forward to part 3 and seeing how Square finishes the trilogy.

Back
Top Bottom