• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

article surprisingly light on actual examples of the alleged plagiarism.
the 33-pages document included in the article is pretty rich in terms of examples. I also wouldn't think a scenarist fairly new in the Hollywood game would risk his career by going against a seasoned (and influencial, it appears) director if he didn't have solid proof.

the 33-pages document included in the article is pretty rich in terms of examples. I also wouldn't think a scenarist fairly new in the Hollywood game would risk his career by going against a seasoned (and influencial, it appears) director if he didn't have solid proof.
I suppose we’ll see how it shakes out. Hollywood is rife with idea theft, but plagiarism is a pretty hefty accusation.

Final Oscar predictions:

BEST PICTURE
WILL WIN: Oppenheimer
WANT TO WIN: No personal favorite, but I know my sister would love it if Barbie pulled the upset

BEST DIRECTOR
WILL WIN: Christopher Nolan (Oppenheimer)
WANT TO WIN: Christopher Nolan (Oppenheimer)

BEST ACTOR
WILL WIN: Cillian Murphy (Oppenheimer)
WANT TO WIN: Paul Giamatti (The Holdovers)

BEST ACTRESS
WILL WIN: Lily Gladstone (Killers of the Flower Moon)
WANT TO WIN: Emma Stone (Poor Things)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
WILL WIN: Robert Downey Jr. (Oppenheimer)
WANT TO WIN: Robert Downey Jr. (Oppenheimer), De Niro a close second

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
WILL WIN: Da'Vine Joy Randolph (The Holdovers)
WANT TO WIN: Da'Vine Joy Randolph (The Holdovers)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
WILL WIN: Anatomy of a Fall
WANT TO WIN: Anatomy of a Fall

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
WILL WIN: American Fiction
WANT TO WIN: American Fiction

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
WILL WIN: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
WANT TO WIN: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE:
WILL WIN: The Zone of Interest
WANT TO WIN: The Zone of Interest

BEST DOCUMENTARY:
WILL WIN: 20 Days in Mariupol
WANT TO WIN: 20 Days in Mariupol

BEST DOC SHORT:
WILL WIN: The ABCs of Book Banning
WANT TO WIN: The Last Repair Shop

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT:
WILL WIN: Red, White, and Blue
WANT TO WIN: Either that or Henry Sugar

BEST ANIMATED SHORT:
WILL WIN: War Is Over
WANT TO WIN: Letter to a Pig

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
WANT TO WIN: Oppenheimer

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
WILL WIN: "What Was I Made For?" (Barbie)
WANT TO WIN: "I'm Just Ken" (Barbie) [Just for the lolz]

BEST SOUND:
WANT TO WIN: Oppenheimer or Zone of Interest

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:
WILL WIN: Barbie
WANT TO WIN: Barbie

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
WANT TO WIN: Oppenheimer

BEST MAKEUP & HAIR
WILL WIN: Maestro
WANT TO WIN: Maestro

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
WILL WIN: Barbie
WANT TO WIN: Barbie

BEST FILM EDITING
SHOULD WIN: Oppenheimer

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
WILL WIN: Godzilla: Minus One
WANT TO WIN: The Creator or Godzilla

American Fiction winning Best Adapted Screenplay is nice to see. Solid movie. I have my issues with Poor Things.

It's a lock! I believe. I'm Trusting The Process for a Godzilla Minus One W 🙏
Nonono we don't want minus one W, we want plus one W

No matter what happens, just know the fact Godzilla was nominated puts him above that loser Kong

Kinda interesting to see how it's not just a sweep after allllllllll the talk about Oppenheimer throughout the year

Call me a sucker for spectacle but that was a badass performance holy shit

So much Kenergy

@Yamanoi Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito handing the Godzilla Minus One team their well-deserved VFX Oscar. Getting to see this happen is worth the $70 I spent in tickets rewatching the movie at Nicole Kidman's holy grounds.

I know the in memoriam is supposed to be moving and everything but I can’t hear Por ti volare without thinking of the last scene from Step Brothers

Last edited:
oh dang

I thought Lily Gladstone had it in the bag, dang

I mean Emma Stone is awesome but still

I would've given my vote to Spider-Verse 2. Heron was good enough but not Oscar-level imo.
Reviewers saw something in that movie that I feel can't even be inferred if you know nothing about Miyazaki's life and what not.
Besides when you think about the fact that sometimes the nominees in that category aren't even watched by the Academy...

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King - Extended

This one is much better than Two Towers. Does not drag. The only flaw is how there are so many white fade-outs in the last ten minutes the movie looks like it's about to end several times. It wraps up things extremely well though. Fellowship still edges out however. There's just an extreme level of perfection to this movie that I don't think any of the sequels fully match or surpass.

I liked Dune 2 but I feel like these movies are hampered significantly by being split into two like this. I haven't read the book and while I imagine it's dense with a lot going on (and probably a lot that was cut), it just makes the two movies feel incomplete on their own and too long to properly watch side by side. But like the first movie, the production and direction was immaculate.

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King - Extended

This one is much better than Two Towers. Does not drag. The only flaw is how there are so many white fade-outs in the last ten minutes the movie looks like it's about to end several times. It wraps up things extremely well though. Fellowship still edges out however. There's just an extreme level of perfection to this movie that I don't think any of the sequels fully match or surpass.
Agreed. Two Towers has bad middle movie syndrome. While ROTK has a really strong final act, Fellowship is just an incredibly engaging, well constructed blockbuster. It has the best feeling of adventure of the trilogy, as well.

Fellowship is just an incredibly engaging, well constructed blockbuster. It has the best feeling of adventure of the trilogy, as well.
Yeah that stood out to me on first watch. That's why I said in my review of it "this might be the greatest adventure movie of all time".

I think there are three other elements specifically that make this one really strong. The ever-threatening Ringwraiths during the first half. All the Saruman scenes (with Gandalf and when he slowly unleashes the industrial might of Isengard). And of course, Boromir and Aragorn's arcs (the actor for Boromir is just too good at his job).

Of course, when all of these elements are either reduced or completely gone in the sequels, and not replaced with material as compelling, makes it impossible to top this one.

Watched Drive-Away Dolls and Love Lies Bleeding. The former was just okay, but the latter... wow! I had high hopes for this one based on the sick trailer, and it didn't disappoint. What a raw blend of romance, violence, and suspense. It's got a cool dark tone sorta reminiscent of Drive, and Kristen Stewart's acting chops really shine here. I think I may see it again. My kind of movie, and I'm sure it'll be somewhere in my 2024 top five by year's end.

Watched Drive-Away Dolls and Love Lies Bleeding. The former was just okay, but the latter... wow! I had high hopes for this one based on the sick trailer, and it didn't disappoint. What a raw blend of romance, violence, and suspense. It's got a cool dark tone sorta reminiscent of Drive, and Kristen Stewart's acting chops really shine here. I think I may see it again. My kind of movie, and I'm sure it'll be somewhere in my 2024 top five by year's end.

I'm hoping to catch both when they hit streaming, but I've been seeing some reeeaaaally good reactions to Love Lies Bleeding in particular so I'm happy to add yours to the pile. Was just talking to a friend yesterday about how happy we are to see Stewart breaking out and steering her career in her direction after being associated with that one character for so long (and Pattinson too). Glad she kicked ass in this one.

I'm hoping to catch both when they hit streaming, but I've been seeing some reeeaaaally good reactions to Love Lies Bleeding in particular so I'm happy to add yours to the pile. Was just talking to a friend yesterday about how happy we are to see Stewart breaking out and steering her career in her direction after being associated with that one character for so long (and Pattinson too). Glad she kicked ass in this one.
Good Time and Love Lies Bleeding would make for a hell of a Pattinson / Stewart crime thriller double feature.

wth I never even heard of that! It's on the Amazon list now, thanks for the recommendation!
You bet! The Safdie brothers are known mostly for Uncut Gems (and if you haven't seen it yet, add it to your watchlist as well), but Good Time was the film they made directly prior to it, and both are in that same vein of chaotic anxiety.

You bet! The Safdie brothers are known mostly for Uncut Gems (and if you haven't seen it yet, add it to your watchlist as well), but Good Time was the film they made directly prior to it, and both are in that same vein of chaotic anxiety.
Oooooh shit okay, I didn't see Uncut Gems but I did see The Curse, which was co-created/written by one of them. So I think I know a bit of what vibes to expect.

Oooooh shit okay, I didn't see Uncut Gems but I did see The Curse, which was co-created/written by one of them. So I think I know a bit of what vibes to expect.
I haven't seen The Curse yet, but Nathan Fielder's involvement is always a good sign 👀 I should set aside some time for it

I watched Speed Racer fifteen years ago and hated it. Wanted to give it another shot, and I'm glad I did. It was incredible, an absolutely astonishing work of filmmaking and editing like anything I've ever seen. I just wanna rewatch it and hope that I'll be able to see it on the big screen one day or another.

Thanks for that, I never heard of Love Lies Bleeding but it sounds awesome. It's releasing here next month, I'll be sure to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom