• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

Watched nortious bad film Ishtar, thought it was hilarious, filled with several perfect jokes. Don't know why it wasn't a hit! Maybe because it's highly critical of American foreign policy in the middle east. As they sing, honesty and popularity don't go and in hand.

Before that rewatched the absolute banger that is Black Narcissus. Not much to say, eye searing technicolor and imagery. Beautiful and moving film.

Also thinking a lot right now about the movie night of the hunter, one of my favorites, should rewatch soon.
Some of my favorite scenes:

Got to see End of Evangelion in theaters. Might be one of my favorite movies ever made now, absolutely incredible experience.

Watched nortious bad film Ishtar, thought it was hilarious, filled with several perfect jokes. Don't know why it wasn't a hit! Maybe because it's highly critical of American foreign policy in the middle east. As they sing, honesty and popularity don't go and in hand.

Before that rewatched the absolute banger that is Black Narcissus. Not much to say, eye searing technicolor and imagery. Beautiful and moving film.

Also thinking a lot right now about the movie night of the hunter, one of my favorites, should rewatch soon.
Some of my favorite scenes:

Elaine May never made a bad movie

Got buzzed on beers and rewatched Yojimbo last night, still rips of course. Somehow I've never seen Sanjuro, and I've still got a bunch of beers left. That's tonight sorted out...

In the wake of the news of a Pirates reboot, I wanted to put a spotlight on how gorgeous the original trilogy looks, and how the direction in it transpires such a sense of adventure, mystery and horror.

This franchise belongs to Gore Verbinski.

Last edited:
I hope you swing by with a review sometime!
So got out of it a few hours ago.

I really loved it. Sequels usually aren't as good as the first movie, but this one is an exception. Not only that but this is probably one of the biggest quality jumps from movie to movie.

They recastedd the actors for Christopher Robbin, Piglet, and Winnie the Pooh, but have a pretty brilliant in-universe explanation for it.

This movie is lit much better than the last one (original movie was really dark most of the time and was hard to see).

The kills are much better and more creative. There's one in particular thar made me clap and jump out of my seat. They got a special effects person who had worked on stuff like Wolrd War Z and Game of Thrones to do the gore and creature designs and the quality jump on those is massive. Pooh and Piglet look so much better. Owl and Tigger are new for this film and they were both standouts. Owl was the mvp of the monsters. Tigger, I was worried would feel too much like Pooh, but they made him very distinct which I appreciated.

The film has some fun horror movie references in it and feels like it was made with a lot of passion. The original movie I truly believe suffered for trying to do too much with so little. Pooh 2 doesn't have a huge Hollywood budget, but has enough to make a fun and competent film.

Before the movie started the films director and a producer talked about their future plans. They talked about the movies for Pinnochio, Peter Pan, and Bambi for this year, and even showed a couple clips for Bambi. Also a huge crossover film for next year with all of the above, plus Rabbit (the Pooh character), the Mad Hatter, and Sleeping Beauty.

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes slashers. Even if you didn't care for the first movie I think it's worth giving a second chance for this one.

Before the movie started the films director and a producer talked about their future plans. They talked about the movies for Pinnochio, Peter Pan, and Bambi for this year, and even showed a couple clips for Bambi. Also a huge crossover film for next year with all of the above, plus Rabbit (the Pooh character), the Mad Hatter, and Sleeping Beauty.
ughhhh this is so cynical, I hate it. Seeing children stuff like that and thinking to yourself « I’m gonna ruin this by adding murder and edge », as an adult, is cringe and honestly a bit concerning.

They got a special effects person who had worked on stuff like Wolrd War Z and Game of Thrones to do the gore and creature designs and the quality jump on those is massive.
Thanks for the thorough review! This in particular seems like a crucial step up. Will be interesting (and scary I bet!) to see the Mad Hatter.

ughhhh this is so cynical, I hate it. Seeing children stuff like that and thinking to yourself « I’m gonna ruin this by adding murder and edge », as an adult, is cringe and honestly a bit concerning.
Its usually hacky, but I don't see whats concerning about it. People have been doing this stuff forever, its harmless imo.

Nothing is being ruined. There will still be Pooh stuff targeting kids. This is a fun twist on the ip that would never have been allowed when it was a Disney owned thing. There's some other company making a pooh animated film which iirc is being targeted at kids.

Nothing is being ruined. There will still be Pooh stuff targeting kids. This is a fun twist on the ip that would never have been allowed when it was a Disney owned thing. There's some other company making a pooh animated film which iirc is being targeted at kids.
Yeah but why not do it with a new IP though? Why the need to take a kid IP and just do edgy stuff with it. I find it unimaginative and twisted. Pinocchio, I can understand because it's a very dark book, but all the others IP... it's in poor taste and a teenager's view of adult content.

It'd be nice for Disney to actually do some stuff with some of their lesser-used IP instead of third parties doing those dark takes on it heh. Star Wars and Marvel have significantly pushed to the side a lot of them and that's a shame.

What money I would give for a DuckTales action-adventure movie to see the light of day, one that uses the Spider-Verse tech to call back to the comic books from which Scrooge McDuck and many of the Disney Ducks originated. It could be a very cool theatrical experience and maybe people would be on board with it! Seems like a thing to try in those current times where the company is struggling to put out profitable blockbusters from Marvel and SW.

What money I would give for a DuckTales action-adventure movie to see the light of day, one that uses the Spider-Verse tech to call back to the comic books from which Scrooge McDuck and many of the Disney Ducks originated.
I'd LOVE this so much. It would absolutely bomb at the box office, but I'd be here day one.

I'd LOVE this so much. It would absolutely bomb at the box office, but I'd be here day one.
I think it could work, it's just a question of execution. People are craving for something different from what Disney is currently putting out. This could be a decent hit, if it's handled by a creative team who can put their own spin on it. Disney would never do a Mickey movie, they're way too safe for that, but the Ducks are not the central mascot, on top of being relatable characters that you can also play around with in characterization, could make for a really enthrilling character study of some characters that are often relegated to merchandising mascots. It doesn't have to be called DuckTales either, since that invites comparison to the TV shows/1993 movie, it could be called something like Scrooge McDuck and the Last Treasure of the Templars to distance the movie from the TV series and sell it more as a theatrical experience.

It'd be nice for Disney to actually do some stuff with some of their lesser-used IP instead of third parties doing those dark takes on it heh. Star Wars and Marvel have significantly pushed to the side a lot of them and that's a shame.

What money I would give for a DuckTales action-adventure movie to see the light of day, one that uses the Spider-Verse tech to call back to the comic books from which Scrooge McDuck and many of the Disney Ducks originated. It could be a very cool theatrical experience and maybe people would be on board with it! Seems like a thing to try in those current times where the company is struggling to put out profitable blockbusters from Marvel and SW.
Darkwing Duck, Nolan-style

Yeah but why not do it with a new IP though? Why the need to take a kid IP and just do edgy stuff with it. I find it unimaginative and twisted. Pinocchio, I can understand because it's a very dark book, but all the others IP... it's in poor taste and a teenager's view of adult content.
Its to make money off an easy idea. I don't think its so bad or in poor taste. Its good that its public domain now and people can just have fun with it. Don't teenagers deserve dumb shit like this?

I think it could work, it's just a question of execution. People are craving for something different from what Disney is currently putting out. This could be a decent hit, if it's handled by a creative team who can put their own spin on it. Disney would never do a Mickey movie, they're way too safe for that, but the Ducks are not the central mascot, on top of being relatable characters that you can also play around with in characterization, could make for a really enthrilling character study of some characters that are often relegated to merchandising mascots. It doesn't have to be called DuckTales either, since that invites comparison to the TV shows/1993 movie, it could be called something like Scrooge McDuck and the Last Treasure of the Templars to distance the movie from the TV series and sell it more as a theatrical experience.
I wish I had your optimism, but Disney released three adventure movies in the past three years, all three were pretty good, and all bombed at the box-office. I don't know if there's much of an audience for adventure movies in general anymore. Yes, Uncharted was a small success, but it was a small success because it was an adaptation of a video game IP. And unfortunately I think more people have nostalgia/fondness for Nathan Drake than Donald Duck.

I have a question.

After watching Patrick H. Willems video on the subject of how Days of Thunder killed a certain kind of filmmaking from the 80s, I found myself intrigued in another 80s movie he brought up in his video, specifically Heaven's Gate. Seems it's a good flick that was an insane box office bomb, I'm wondering what version is the best to watch? There have been so many cuts over the years so I'm wondering what's the best one?

I have a question.

After watching Patrick H. Willems video on the subject of how Days of Thunder killed a certain kind of filmmaking from the 80s, I found myself intrigued in another 80s movie he brought up in his video, specifically Heaven's Gate. Seems it's a good flick that was an insane box office bomb, I'm wondering what version is the best to watch? There have been so many cuts over the years so I'm wondering what's the best one?
The Criterion Collection version is the best without a doubt. Also the preferred version of the director. It’s basically the original edit with some tweaks here and there that only make the movie better. Enjoy your watch!

Isn't the spirit of copyright expiring to further creativity by one author no longer able to just bank on one property forever so they would be motivated to create more, rather than the entire public being able to just go hogwild on a particular property which seems to just be stifling creativity?

Just create your own shit.

Isn't the spirit of copyright expiring to further creativity by one author no longer able to just bank on one property forever so they would be motivated to create more, rather than the entire public being able to just go hogwild on a particular property which seems to just be stifling creativity?

No. The idea is to give back to the public. Ultimately nothing is created in a vacuum, we all are inspired by things and we draw from that to create new things.

Copyright (in america) is life of the author plus 70 years for things owned by an individual. So you get exclusive rights for your whole life, and you can pass it down for a couple generations or so and your descents can benefit too.

For corporate owned stuff it's just a flat 95 years. Almost a century to benefit from it.

After that much times passes everyone involved with the creation of a thing is long gone, there has been ample time to have the exclusive benefits of a thing.

Copyright expiring has led to many great adaptations of books, like Dracula, Frankenstein, and Sherlock Holmes. These adaptations wouldn't have happened if some corporation or the great, great, great grandson of the author (who never would have known them anyway) gets to benefit from it forever.

Keeping Copyright going forever or not touching things that were once copywritten only benefits huge corporations and old money.

Last edited:

Seconding the above post. The point is that eventually culture should belong to everyone to do with what they please. No one complains about all the Dracula, Frankenstein, Alice stories out there, I don't see why Winnie the Pooh should be morr sacred just because its Disney/been copywrited for our entire lives.

I understand that aspect of it. I just completely disagree in everybody's enthusiasm over characters or whatever becoming public domain. It's just been annoying seeing anyone going "Oh yay! Now I can do that stupid idea with Winnie the Pooh or Mickey Mouse that's been kicking around in my head all these years. And better yet I can profit off it. Not through artistic merit, but more so name and branding recognition. It's not like I'll have any original ideas or takes on it that warrant any actual thought since I already lack the creative capacity to come up with my own cartoon mouse or bear."

And in regards to things like Dracula or Frankenstein I haven't personally seen any sort of derivative works that sprung from the the expiring copyrights of those novels that in my opinion exceeded the originals. They already make adaptations of copyrighted properties all the time. People write fan fiction that are of and about copyrighted characters. It happens all the time, just because it's technically legal to do doesn't actually make it novel in anyway. It's already everybody's once it's out there. An author can not fully control everybody on the planet to do everything possible to those characters under the sun, or not make derivative works through varying degrees of infringement, or simply inspired by the original work.

"Whoa! Look at these bad boys of Hollywood! They don't care don't whose beloved childhood characters they fuck with!"

Who gives a flying fuck?

If you can't even come up with your own character then I couldn't give a shit what you say or do with them. I really would only be interested in the story regardless. You better have a damn good story with this existing character that needed this character to say something new that wasn't basically already well tread in the original.

Especially when it is just a dumb cash grab.

I'm not against copyrighted things going into public domain. I'd actually wish they would a hell of a lot faster. Not for me to get my hands on them sooner. Just so everyone wouldn't be all that impressed when it does happen. And we would actually have a lot more in the public domain so people would likely just be as much more motivated to do new interesting, original things. As other people would be free to play with it all after, let's say, twenty years. The current length of time is pretty dumb even if you think 20 years is way to fast.

Moulin Rouge and all the music it uses would all be public domain right now. We could all be making our very own sequel to Moulin Rouge right now.

Last edited:
I understand that aspect of it. I just completely disagree in everybody's enthusiasm over characters or whatever becoming public domain. It's just been annoying seeing anyone going "Oh yay! Now I can do that stupid idea with Winnie the Pooh or Mickey Mouse that's been kicking around in my head all these years. And better yet I can profit off it. Not through artistic merit, but more so name and branding recognition. It's not like I'll have any original ideas or takes on it that warrant any actual thought since I already lack the creative capacity to come up with my own cartoon mouse or bear."

And in regards to things like Dracula or Frankenstein I haven't personally seen any sort of derivative works that sprung from the the expiring copyrights of those novels that in my opinion exceeded the originals. They already make adaptations of copyrighted properties all the time. People write fan fiction that are of and about copyrighted characters. It happens all the time, just because it's technically legal to do doesn't actually make it novel in anyway. It's already everybody's once it's out there. An author can not fully control everybody on the planet to do everything possible to those characters under the sun, or not make derivative works through varying degrees of infringement, or simply inspired by the original work.

The less power corporate entities hold over culture, the better. Part of that is of course creating your own original works, but another part of that is corporations losing their own.

And frankly, I'm shocked that you've never seen or read a version of Dracula or Frankenstein better than the original. The expiring copyrights of those led to absolutely incredible work. For Dracula, you simply must see Werner Herzog's Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht, which is perhaps the most haunting Dracula story ever told. There's also the fantastic Marvel comic series, The Tomb of Dracula, which stands as some of the company's best work, featuring beautiful linework from Gene Colan and pulpy writing from Marv Wolfman. In terms of Frankenstein, James Whales' film Bride of Frankenstein adds a boatload of gay subtext that adds a completely new dimension to the source material that, were it still under copyright, simply wouldn't be possible.

The freedom permitted by the public domain has given us incredible work. Meanwhile, what did copyright do for these characters? It almost led to the destruction of the original Nosferatu, which was an unauthorized release that Bram Stoker's heirs attempted to destroy through a legal ruling. Can you imagine that? One of the greatest and most influential films ever made, lost forever? It nearly happened!

Oh, and my GF and I went and made our own version of Dracula who's a trans girl. We made a visual novel about her. Is that something that would have been permitted under copyright? We also made use of live action footage from public domain films as part of that VN... which also wouldn't be permitted if they were copyrighted. But because they were public domain, we can have some black and white footage of a big rubbery bat flying around without needing to make it ourselves!

In short, the public domain is great, has led to amazing work, and gives anyone the freedom to put their own fun spin on already existing characters, mixing them into original stories and work. It is reclaiming cultural signifiers to be available for everyone, and nothing is bad about that.

Are we just going to ignore the part of my post where I said things should enter the public domain faster? I said "twenty years" in fact. Mostly so everyone wouldn't make a big deal about it.

I have seen Bride of Frankenstein. I even own the movie. Great film but even that is more of a derivative and response to the original film which is an adaptation of (at that time) an over hundred year old novel, and was even copyrighted by Universal from the public domain original novel for things it did different of changing the characters.

Even Nosferatu, wasn't some adaptation of Dracula. It basically stole it while Dracula was still under copyright (in Europe at least) but it changed the names and even the monster there is pretty different to Dracula. Dracula wasn't copyrighted in America due to some error and so the film survived. Again not a great example of work being better than the original after it enters the public domain. Especially since they deliberately even tried to sidestep it themselves.

Like I said, I am all for public domain to what I'm sure many would actually deem an absurd degree (again I said like twenty years). I just wish it wasn't used in such a way that made people talk about it as if it's so cutting edge to rework an existing character in some different way. Everyone can do that. Your cat could watch Dracula and then wonder "What if Dracula, but a cat?" That's why I don't find anybodies' take on these things all that interesting on their own. You still need something to say and an actually good story, and it gets to a point where I'd wonder myself if I were better off just then making the characters original in the first place.

These things tend to hit a ceiling of "interesting curiosity" at best, or "soulless cynical cashgrab" at worst. Original works I feel like have far more profound potential in impacting society and culture.

If things entered the public domain faster corporations wouldn't be able to reguritate things for profit ad nauseum to the public, and the public would quickly be used to all this shit being free to fairly use, which everyone seems to borderline do anyway. It demistifies this whole thing and we'd likely get more interesting original work out of it all too since artists and authors would basically have to keep creating and couldn't just coast on whatever made them a "hit" in the first place for the rest of their lives.

Are we just going to ignore the part of my post where I said things should enter the public domain faster? I said "twenty years" in fact. Mostly so everyone wouldn't make a big deal about it.

I have seen Bride of Frankenstein. I even own the movie. Great film but even that is more of a derivative and response to the original film which is an adaptation of (at that time) an over hundred year old novel, and was even copyrighted by Universal from the public domain original novel for things it did different of changing the characters.

Even Nosferatu, wasn't some adaptation of Dracula. It basically stole it while Dracula was still under copyright (in Europe at least) but it changed the names and even the monster there is pretty different to Dracula. Dracula wasn't copyrighted in America due to some error and so the film survived. Again not a great example of work being better than the original after it enters the public domain. Especially since they deliberately even tried to sidestep it themselves.

Like I said, I am all for public domain to what I'm sure many would actually deem an absurd degree (again I said like twenty years). I just wish it wasn't used in such a way that made people talk about it as if it's so cutting edge to rework an existing character in some different way. Everyone can do that. Your cat could watch Dracula and then wonder "What if Dracula, but a cat?" That's why I don't find anybodies' take on these things all that interesting on their own. You still need something to say and an actually good story, and it gets to a point where I'd wonder myself if I were better off just then making the characters original in the first place.

These things tend to hit a ceiling of "interesting curiosity" at best, or "soulless cynical cashgrab" at worst. Original works I feel like have far more profound potential in impacting society and culture.

If things entered the public domain faster corporations wouldn't be able to reguritate things for profit ad nauseum to the public, and the public would quickly be used to all this shit being free to fairly use, which everyone seems to borderline do anyway. It demistifies this whole thing and we'd likely get more interesting original work out of it all too since artists and authors would basically have to keep creating and couldn't just coast on whatever made them a "hit" in the first place for the rest of their lives.

The first Nosferatu I referenced is the 1979 Herzog film, which was produced after the original Dracula was public domain. I brought up the 1922 original version as an example of what copyright has tried to take from us, compared to the many great works the public domain gives us.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on Bride of Frankenstein; the subtext alone makes it far better than the first film, and it easily stands alongside The Invisible Man as the best of Universal's classic horror films.

I think especially when you have characters that become cultural icons, the public domain gives people a chance to tell an iteration on that story that would not be as powerful otherwise. Bride of Frankenstein takes the original text's preoccupation with "playing God by creating life" and subtextually queers that desire to "create life". Guy Maddin made a fantastic Dracula adaptation in 2002 that openly highlights the racism present in the original text. These works would not be the same if they were not using Frankenstein and Dracula as a basis.

Dracula itself has become cultural shorthand for "an ancient and powerful vampire", in the same way that Frankenstein has become shorthand for "humanoid monster made by science". There's plenty of possibility for people to use these characters, concepts, and setting while making interesting work, and they have!

I'm at least glad you are in favor of the public domain laws being vastly shortened. I wish you could see how wonderful the public domain actually is for creatives! It's GOOD that people can make, "Dracula but a cat", it's GOOD that I can make, "Dracula but a trans girl". That's not all there is to it! You start with that, and can create a fantastic original story from there, while still utilizing what's effectively a stock character as a base.

The first Nosferatu I referenced is the 1979 Herzog film, which was produced after the original Dracula was public domain. I brought up the 1922 original version as an example of what copyright has tried to take from us, compared to the many great works the public domain gives us.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on Bride of Frankenstein; the subtext alone makes it far better than the first film, and it easily stands alongside The Invisible Man as the best of Universal's classic horror films.

I think especially when you have characters that become cultural icons, the public domain gives people a chance to tell an iteration on that story that would not be as powerful otherwise. Bride of Frankenstein takes the original text's preoccupation with "playing God by creating life" and subtextually queers that desire to "create life". Guy Maddin made a fantastic Dracula adaptation in 2002 that openly highlights the racism present in the original text. These works would not be the same if they were not using Frankenstein and Dracula as a basis.

Dracula itself has become cultural shorthand for "an ancient and powerful vampire", in the same way that Frankenstein has become shorthand for "humanoid monster made by science". There's plenty of possibility for people to use these characters, concepts, and setting while making interesting work, and they have!

I'm at least glad you are in favor of the public domain laws being vastly shortened. I wish you could see how wonderful the public domain actually is for creatives! It's GOOD that people can make, "Dracula but a cat", it's GOOD that I can make, "Dracula but a trans girl". That's not all there is to it! You start with that, and can create a fantastic original story from there, while still utilizing what's effectively a stock character as a base.
Also imagine if we couldn't freely use Robin Hood, King Arthur, Jesus, or, damn, the works of Shakespeare. Culture would be so much poorer.
Also, the murder Winnie the Pooh movie isn't hurting anyone. Its just a standard cheap exploitation movie. The villians are Disney for holding our culture hostage, not scrappy film makers who want to make a quick buck on a goofy idea.

Also imagine if we couldn't freely use Robin Hood, King Arthur, Jesus, or, damn, the works of Shakespeare. Culture would be so much poorer.
Also, the murder Winnie the Pooh movie isn't hurting anyone. Its just a standard cheap exploitation movie. The villians are Disney for holding our culture hostage, not scrappy film makers who want to make a quick buck on a goofy idea.
It's also worth mentioning that copyright in the US was frozen for 20 years thanks to us media companies, mainly Disney (to the point that the law is commonly referred to as The Mickey Mouse Protection Act). Stuff only started entering again in 2019.

It was frozen for so long (especially during the rise of the internet, which makes accessing this stuff so much easier) that people have only recently gotten to use new things.

If anything it's some nice karma to see formerly Disney ip like Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse get turned into Horror franchises.

I dig the Pooh horror films for what they are. I like shlocky, dumb, low budget horror and I won't pretend that I'm above it.

Also to the person that acts like the horror movies are the only thing being done with these characters now that they are public domain, there's a nice little Mickey Mouse web comic that exists now thanks to public domain.

https://mousetrappedcomic.blog/

I actually do agree that Bride of Frankenstein is waaaaay better than the first film. I personally still prefer the original novel above both. Same I think so far with Dracula, I love the novel and haven't seen anything yet that goes above that using the character. Maybe it's the comparison that naturally happens that makes me see the derivatives as coming up short, or better off just making new characters at times.

I understand you were mainly focused in a different Nosferatu by Werner Herzog which sadly I have not seen. I'll try to check it out. I just found Nosferatu as a funny example due to its unusual circumstances of creation, which ultimately does create new characters technically just to get around the copyright. They just didn't change enough story perhaps and woke the ire of Stoker's widow.

But yeah I have absolutely nothing against public domain, I love that it's there. I personally don't look through it for use in my own work, but I'm glad I have that option if I feel inspired to do so. I just get annoyed with hub-bub around recent works going into the public domain as the eagerness to use it that immediately just feels perfunctory and vacuum filling. That annoyance I feel gets heightened by the works being children's based turned horror in pretty hackneyed ways. Not in a trying protect sacred grounds way, couldn't care less. I'm pretty glib in general so that doesn't bother me. It's the ease in which it grabs other's attention of it that annoys me. General public response, which I understand, yet wish we were more desensitized to these moments more. That's really it. But yeah I'm all for public domain, and would love it if work went into the public domain far faster.

P.S. I do want to check out your visual novel, been wanting to. I just don't get on my home computer too often. I'll also check out the Herzog film as well, so thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate the back and forth from everyone.

The 1979 Nosferatu is really good. I watched it for the first time during the peak of the pandemic and it made a certain part of the movie very topical let's say.

I'd say as far as faithfulness to the book the 1992 film by Francis Ford Coppola is one of the closer ones. I also just like it a lot as a movie in general. One of my favorite Dracula adaptations.

My favorite of all is 1958s Horror of Dracula. Deviates from the book a lot (the studio, Hammer, didn't have a ton of money to work with so things had to be trimmed down), but has some outstanding performances and score. I'm also a huge Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee fan, so the film takes the Dracula movie crown for me.

The 1979 Nosferatu is really good. I watched it for the first time during the peak of the pandemic and it made a certain part of the movie very topical let's say.

I'd say as far as faithfulness to the book the 1992 film by Francis Ford Coppola is one of the closer ones. I also just like it a lot as a movie in general. One of my favorite Dracula adaptations.

My favorite of all is 1958s Horror of Dracula. Deviates from the book a lot (the studio, Hammer, didn't have a ton of money to work with so things had to be trimmed down), but has some outstanding performances and score. I'm also a huge Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee fan, so the film takes the Dracula movie crown for me.
I like elements of Coppola's version of Dracula, but as you said thatnis really a straightforward adaptation of the novel. I don't mind using existing characters in entirely new stories too but it needs to go beyond the surface level of novelty of it and still have something to say and not just rest on name or image recognition with a somewhat immature "Look at me!" motivation that inspired the derivative work.

It's been forever since I read it but, the novel The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova uses the character and myths of Dracula in interesting way to tell a new story. Stuff like that I prefer, but I'm not trying to dictate how or what people do with characters. It's just the public repsonse to the easy idea horror slasher versions of the characters that makes me roll my eyes whether they like it, hate it, or whatever. It's just the most attention grabbing and it just seems surface deep as that appears to be what it only has going for it.

Anyways, I feel I'm sending things further off topic now by referring more to literary works now.

I'm all in favor of public domain, wish it was shorter. If it was twenty years or even thirty then even "recent" stuff like The Game of Thrones (novel) would be in public domain. Such a thing might even at least get GRRM to have completed the series far faster. Twenty years though is probably too short though as then big studios may likely just wait it out and not have to pay for film or television rights to the original creators, so maybe thirty would be better.

To shift back on topic the next film I think I want to see in theaters is Monkey Man starring, written, and directed by Dev Patel. After seeing him in The Green Knight (which I loved) this is the most excited I am to see a film in the near future. It comes out this week so I'm pretty excited for it. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Spy X Family: Code White was a bit « televisual » in its animation and directing, but it was awesome nonetheless. Just a nice and really fun movie, very very funny (it was nice being in a crowded theater with an audience laughing hard and often like that). It was basically a 110 minutes of « why Spy X Family is so great », both for fans and newcomers (they explain who the characters are and what’s their deal). I doubt we’ll get a better feel-good movie this year.

Horror of Drcula kicks ass. Nice to see another Hammer Head here.
Imo a lot of Dracula adaptations surpass the original novel because the orignal novel is just kinda okay.

I watched Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning last night. What a great movie! I loved the action and stunts, and the plot was really interesting. I typically gauge my interest in these movies by how interesting I find the villain and their overall evil plan, and the Entity/Gabriel are super fascinating. The idea of a super-powerful rogue AI that can predict its enemies behaviour makes for a super intimidating antagonist, especially because the heroes can no longer trust any of their tech as it could be secretly manipulated by the Entity. All in all, I’m really excited for Part Two, and this was easily my favourite film in this franchise.

Horror of Drcula kicks ass. Nice to see another Hammer Head here.
Imo a lot of Dracula adaptations surpass the original novel because the orignal novel is just kinda okay.
The feeling is mutual, I really like that cycle of late 50s through mid 70s Gothic horror that was coming from companies like Hammer, Amicus, and AIP. Also a big Vincent Price fan.

You're right there are lots of great Dracula adaptations. I really enjoy most of the Hammer dracula sequels. I really love Brides of Dracula, Dracula Prince of Darkness, and Dracula has Risen from the Grave. Taste and Satanic Rites have issues. Scars of Dracula gets a lot of hate, but Lee has tons of screentime and lines so I dig it. Dracula AD 1972 is a lot of fun, really dig the 70s update and soundtrack. Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires is incredible. Love that martial arts/horror hybrid.

I watched Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning last night. What a great movie! I loved the action and stunts, and the plot was really interesting. I typically gauge my interest in these movies by how interesting I find the villain and their overall evil plan, and the Entity/Gabriel are super fascinating. The idea of a super-powerful rogue AI that can predict its enemies behaviour makes for a super intimidating antagonist, especially because the heroes can no longer trust any of their tech as it could be secretly manipulated by the Entity. All in all, I’m really excited for Part Two, and this was easily my favourite film in this franchise.
I enjoyed Dead Reckoning 1 a lot. If I had to rank the mission impossible films, I'd probably go:

Ghost Protocol
Fallout
Dead Reckoning Part 1
Rogue Nation

I thought Dead Reckoning was kind of disappointing. Felt bloated and meandering and I don’t think the story is interesting enough to warrant a two parter. I especially didn’t like that they (seemingly) kill off Ilsa. And if it’s a fake out like some predict her coming back won’t feel very satisfying either.

The feeling is mutual, I really like that cycle of late 50s through mid 70s Gothic horror that was coming from companies like Hammer, Amicus, and AIP. Also a big Vincent Price fan.

You're right there are lots of great Dracula adaptations. I really enjoy most of the Hammer dracula sequels. I really love Brides of Dracula, Dracula Prince of Darkness, and Dracula has Risen from the Grave. Taste and Satanic Rites have issues. Scars of Dracula gets a lot of hate, but Lee has tons of screentime and lines so I dig it. Dracula AD 1972 is a lot of fun, really dig the 70s update and soundtrack. Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires is incredible. Love that martial arts/horror hybrid.

I enjoyed Dead Reckoning 1 a lot. If I had to rank the mission impossible films, I'd probably go:

Ghost Protocol
Fallout
Dead Reckoning Part 1
Rogue Nation
My ranking would be:

Dead Reckoning
Fallout
Rogue Nation
Ghost Protocol

In case you can’t tell, I’m mostly a fan of the newer ones haha

My ranking would be:

Dead Reckoning
Fallout
Rogue Nation
Ghost Protocol

In case you can’t tell, I’m mostly a fan of the newer ones haha
I am too. It's the rare series that gets better in the later entries versus the earlier ones. I like 2 more than most since it's John Woo (love Face/Off and Broken Arrow immensely). 3 is at the bottom because it was directed by that hack JJ Abrams. The first one isn't bad but it's so different. Barely an action film, more of a spy thriller.

I thought Dead Reckoning was kind of disappointing. Felt bloated and meandering and I don’t think the story is interesting enough to warrant a two parter. I especially didn’t like that they (seemingly) kill off Ilsa. And if it’s a fake out like some predict her coming back won’t feel very satisfying either.
I feel like they're setting up for some big twists in the next one.

Also as a metal gear fan, the crazy ai plot I enjoyed. It's over the top, but I liked what it was going for. I also really enjoyed the Rome chase (gave me big Lupin III vibes, complete with a vintage yellow fiat). Also the train sequence was really great.

Back
Top Bottom