• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Film Chat |ST| What's Your Favorite Acting Turn?

I thought Dead Reckoning was kind of disappointing. Felt bloated and meandering and I don’t think the story is interesting enough to warrant a two parter. I especially didn’t like that they (seemingly) kill off Ilsa. And if it’s a fake out like some predict her coming back won’t feel very satisfying either.
I hated it. So dull.

I watched Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning last night. What a great movie! I loved the action and stunts, and the plot was really interesting. I typically gauge my interest in these movies by how interesting I find the villain and their overall evil plan, and the Entity/Gabriel are super fascinating. The idea of a super-powerful rogue AI that can predict its enemies behaviour makes for a super intimidating antagonist, especially because the heroes can no longer trust any of their tech as it could be secretly manipulated by the Entity. All in all, I’m really excited for Part Two, and this was easily my favourite film in this franchise.
Hayley Atwell in slacks

Dead Reckoning is definitely rougher around the edges than any of the other McQuarrie MI entries. It is too long, but thankfully, it's still in the top 2 best action movies of 2023. Rogue Nation and Fallout on the other hand, are basically nearly perfect.

I think the fact they went for a two-parter is probably why. Those productions are generally harder to get right than say, a single movie. Let me bring up Pirates of the Carribean (once again). They filmed both 2 and 3 together and released a year apart, with no script ready for Part III when they began filming. That's why Part III is very bloated. And Part II isn't much better.

Dead Reckoning was shot with a script who went to through several changes during filming (same for Fallout really, but McQuarrie is also an extremely talented writer who won an Oscar in screenwriting and that was one movie). The advantage of the two-parter approach is that having a setup entry generally allows the second part to pop off if executed well enough. So I guess we'll see.

I loved it on first viewing altho I do think it peaked by the end of act 2. I gave it a rewatch in the last few months and was more harsh on it this time around.

Last edited:
Dead Reckoning was also a COVID production nightmare. It was notably less tight than McQuarrie's other movies.

Dead Reckoning was also a COVID production nightmare. It was notably less tight than McQuarrie's other movies.
Yeah it was filmed over a LOOONG time so it had an insane budget (production stopped/started several times from late 2020 to the movie's release in late 2023)

I did not expect Mean Girls the musical to be this good goddamn

Sometimes remakes don't suck apparently

...that is such a perfect description oh my god. :ROFLMAO:
You know how when the Scott Pilgrim movie came out and people were saying it's sorta an honorary video game movie even though it didn't adapt any specific game but because they got the style down perfect? Yeah I'd throw JW4 in there with it.

You know how when the Scott Pilgrim movie came out and people were saying it's sorta an honorary video game movie even though it didn't adapt any specific game but because they got the style down perfect? Yeah I'd throw JW4 in there with it.
that Hotline Miami tribute had me cackling with delight in the theater

disastrous. i am more than happy to let the matrix be permanently done with Resurrections but if they have to bring it back…why get one of the most juiceless directors currently working lmao. Lana is exec producing so I will not 100% ignore it but I’m comfortable saying this absolutely should not be made

disastrous. i am more than happy to let the matrix be permanently done with Resurrections but if they have to bring it back…why get one of the most juiceless directors currently working lmao. Lana is exec producing so I will not 100% ignore it but I’m comfortable saying this absolutely should not be made
Wasn't one of the reasons Lana even made Resurrections the fact that WB was working on a reboot on their own and she was like "not without one of us on board you're not"?

I can't believe all that did was end up delaying WB doing their own, fuck.

Well at the very least I hope they bring the cast back. Jessica Henwick was rad as hell and I'd love to see more with her crew.

good thing it's a WB movie, might be a chance this gets cancelled at some point before, during, or after production

Saw Godzilla x Kong yesterday. Absolutely loved it, everything I would want in a monster movie. I look forward to Wingards more Godzilla focused sequel.

About to see Monkey Man. Hope it's awesome. I might post some impressions later.
So I saw this last night. I enjoy watching Dev Patel in the film, but sadly it's a pretty basic revenge story that didn't get me interested in the character motivations fast enough in the film relying on vague (yet straightforward) flashbacks. It's very well shot for the most part, lots of texture on the screen, though very frenetic at times. I wish the film had delved deeper into its themes to bolster the action that it clearly just wanted to revel in more than anything. Bro just wanted to make a revenge film which is fine, but there was a missed opportunity to really say more. It's alluded to, but never goes deeper than the surface level. Seemingly some nods to other revenge films throughout such as Oldboy, Kill Bill, and John Wick perhaps most obviously. I'm sure there were more but that's what leapt out. Unfortunately this film doesn't reach any of those films heights I'd say, but Dev Patel is really great to watch on camera.

I still hope people go see it though, I don't dislike the film. Dev Patel is awesome so I hope his directorial debut is a success with the public at least.

So finally

Finally finally finally

Kumiko The Treasure Hunter is available to stream, after having been sorta buried and tough to find since release. I've wanted to see it since it was new, and now I finally can.

But first, I thought I aughta watch the prequel.

So tonight, I'm finally watching Fargo.

So finally

Finally finally finally

Kumiko The Treasure Hunter is available to stream, after having been sorta buried and tough to find since release. I've wanted to see it since it was new, and now I finally can.

But first, I thought I aughta watch the prequel.

So tonight, I'm finally watching Fargo.
oh damn, I’ve wanted to watch this forever. Love Rinko Kikuchi.

Where’s it streaming?

oh damn, I’ve wanted to watch this forever. Love Rinko Kikuchi.

Where’s it streaming?
In the States it's available to rent on Amazon Prime, and google says it's also available on Fandango At Home and Google Play Movies.

My dad: So Kong goes back and gets that ugly one's kingdom?

Me: yeah

My dad: So then does that make him. . .

Me: . . .👀

My dad: . . .King Kong?

Watched Pulp Fiction with a friend.

I can't believe the movie commonly regarded as one of the best movies ever is in fact a very good movie

Finally, after all these years, watched Kumiko The Treasure Hunter

I feel like I've somehow passed through a veil

Well, that's the rest of my life settled.

2uQQohy.jpeg

speaking of Armageddon (which I saw as part of a Michael Bay run last year), as chaotic as it can get, it's pretty insane spectacle for the time heh. I think if I didn't care so much about plot and tone whiplash I would consider it a masterpiece of an action movie.

Kind of amused by how when the trailer for Civil War came out the narrative seemed to be that it was terrible and dangerous how politically divisive this movie is gonna be and now that it's out (soon) the consensus in the reviews seems to be that it's not political enough, actually 😅

Kind of amused by how when the trailer for Civil War came out the narrative seemed to be that it was terrible and dangerous how politically divisive this movie is gonna be and now that it's out (soon) the consensus in the reviews seems to be that it's not political enough, actually 😅
Thats the vibe I got from the trailer ngl

And yet it's political enough to thank far-right journalist and influencer Andy Ngo and British TERF (pleonasm?) Helen Lewis in the credits

Back
Top Bottom